Thrall Thread : Living with the dead

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Adam Warlock

Found another location with non respawning bandits, and the containers are safe as well. Nilheim. You can look it up if you want, but there are about five anchorable bandits including telrav. I might make it my "rest stop" for unused "followers". I don't think it has any crafting stations, but it has an awesome view.
Be careful not to accept any more radiant quests like Kill the Bandit Leader to Nilheim now because Telrav`s death is it for the site(no replacement) and that quest can`t be completed.
I`ve got the body of a permanent Bandit who I can put the quest arrow over but killing the active thrall doesnt help. Result is no jarl quests from the Rift and no Kill the Bandit Leader quests ANYWHERE !

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
Be careful not to accept any more radiant quests like Kill the Bandit Leader to Nilheim now because Telrav`s death is it for the site(no replacement) and that quest can`t be completed.
I`ve got the body of a permanent Bandit who I can put the quest arrow over but killing the active thrall doesnt help. Result is no jarl quests from the Rift and no Kill the Bandit Leader quests ANYWHERE !
I didn't start the quest for Nilheim, just walked by it and googled it. ;)

Staff member
Silver Hand from dustman's cairn anchored with Dragon's Breath Mead disappeared. I mourn for the loss of some good mead.

Adam Warlock

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Permanent_and_persistent_items

Apparently , the Beware the Butcher letters can lose their anchoring ability(but not their persistence) if they are "dropped into the world".

I originally found some in my wife`s inventory where I had given them to her back when.

The ones that I put directly into bodies from my inventory work but ones that have been put on the ground or in container and picked up again don`t.

Some items persist in vendor`s inventories that don`t anchor for me like silver swords for instance

Meanwhile , I still encounter the occasional enchanted weapon which anchors.
still dont know what does that

bottom line is always have a save to revert to when testing items as verified anchors

Staff member
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Permanent_and_persistent_items

Apparently , the Beware the Butcher letters can lose their anchoring ability(but not their persistence) if they are "dropped into the world".

I originally found some in my wife`s inventory where I had given them to her back when.

The ones that I put directly into bodies from my inventory work but ones that have been put on the ground or in container and picked up again don`t.

Some items persist in vendor`s inventories that don`t anchor for me like silver swords for instance

Meanwhile , I still encounter the occasional enchanted weapon which anchors.
still dont know what does that

bottom line is always have a save to revert to when testing items as verified anchors
That explains why the Dragons Breath Mead didn't anchor, as it is found in the world on the ground.

That master vampire at the hall of the vigilants mantains its health regeneration, as if it is still "alive" even though it is thralled.

Staff member
Just learned that Frostmere Crypt doesn't respawn and has safe containers. More Bandits to anchor! I think I'm going to use the remaining heads from The Companion's questline as anchors instead of cures.

Staff member
Currently I am doing the College questline with my two faithful companions, a dremora markynaz spellcaster and Malkoran. I will attempt to anchor the Caller once I get to that stage.

Staff member
Both of my thralls, after death and reanimation, decided to go Rambo and pulled out their melee weapons to fight Jyric Gaulderson! It was an awesome sight, and they owned his face with a combo of melee and magic.They used their two handed, one handed, and magic to great effect! I never imagined I see such intelligence as I just witnessed in an AI!

Staff member
All I can say for myself is, "oops". After going through Mzulft with My mage dremora and The Caller, onw of my spells accidentally hit Paratus Decimius... needless to say, my thralls made short work of him. I'm now going to try and roleplay a scenario where it was justified, as I have no recent saves... I think maybe he went crazy and began threatening the college, and then attacked me for "destroying his life's work";)

Adam Warlock

All I can say for myself is, "oops". After going through Mzulft with My mage dremora and The Caller, onw of my spells accidentally hit Paratus Decimius... needless to say, my thralls made short work of him. I'm now going to try and roleplay a scenario where it was justified, as I have no recent saves... I think maybe he went crazy and began threatening the college, and then attacked me for "destroying his life's work";)
Such are the dangers of Necromancy .

Staff member
Disappointed that the merchant's journal is a faulty anchor. One of the Silver Hand from Dustman's cairn which was anchored with it decided to disappear with no backup saves. Sad because it was one of my favorites. Oh well, life goes on.

Nearing the end of the Dragonborn DLC.. Not many useful/useable people at my level, but I do have a Ascendant Cultist who is a decent mage that talks normally, He's currently only paired with my Follower Frea and a Riekling Warrior, Who is actually pretty decent for a pet despite his weird stance he has when he's wielding the bow I gave him and Daedric Arrows.. I guess it's because they never gave them animations of using the bow despite actually being able to use it..

Staff member
The Molag Tong make okay thralls, and the reavers are fun. There is also a small population of pirates on solsteim.

Adam Warlock

Anchor Advisory !

Removed Iron Claw from Haldyn .
Dropped Iron Claw on ground and picked it back up.
Replaced Iron Claw into Haldyn`s inventory.
Haldyn disappeared when he had previously been anchored.
Be warned !

Even though I continue to recover Beware The Butcher phamphets from respawned NPC , they do not work to anchor.
The status between permanent and persistent obviously can change.
Treasure Maps( the ten you find randomly) appear to lose anchoring traits once you`ve found the chest they lead to , for instance

Staff member
Anchor Advisory !

Removed Iron Claw from Haldyn .
Dropped Iron Claw on ground and picked it back up.
Replaced Iron Claw into Haldyn`s inventory.
Haldyn disappeared when he had previously been anchored.
Be warned !

Even though I continue to recover Beware The Butcher phamphets from respawned NPC , they do not work to anchor.
The status between permanent and persistent obviously can change.
Treasure Maps( the ten you find randomly) appear to lose anchoring traits once you`ve found the chest they lead to , for instance
So these items fall under "partially" permenant/persistant, right? Once dropped into the world, they lose their anchoring abilities? I tried to duplicate the Dragon's Breath Mead through the follower glitch, so that explains why that went wrong.... I did the same thing with the merchants journal, and it stopped working too. That should also mean that my Poacher's axe no longer anchors...

Imrah

I think about half the beware the butcher notes are located in the chest with the journal, while the other half are with the necro amulet. I picked all of them up, so that may be why they dont work for me.
I think like 95% of the usable anchors fall under the partial persistent category. As long as they are in one inventory or another shouldnt be an issue.

Adam Warlock

NOTES

Krev the Skinner respawned at Gallows Rock again. This particular radiant incarnation is identical in everything but name to Rigel Strong-Arm.
She`s using Carved Nordic armor with shield , Stalhrim Mace of the Vampire , and Daedric Bow of Winter.
Paired her with my now perma Rigel for a while and they were great together as twin warriors.
Then partnered Krev with the respawned mage , Sebastian Lort , and they made one of the best mage/warrior combos I`ve had in a very long time. Worked very well together in combat and nary a single fight between them !
I credit this primarily to the fact that this Lort`s primary attack is Lightning Bolt (rather than Chain Lightning with AoE damage).
Don`t let respawns scare you away from using them.

Certain Bounty Letters do appear to have anchoring powers but idk how they gain/lose the trait.
Found some bounty letters which continued to linger in a vendor`s inventory (a very few out of many) and replaced a Letter from the Vampire with them into a Master Vampire who then remained anchored.
Keep testing ! We `re all learning as we go.

My current belief is that Thralls who have Fortify Archery enchantments on either gauntlets or helmet will get the benefit of boosted damage IF they are equipped with either Dragonbone Bow or a non-Dwarven crossbow.
This conclusion arrived at by observation only (since I`m on Xbox)
Can anyone confirm/refute this , please ?

Imrah

For those of you unaware, patch v1.9 is out in beta for pc users and is expected to hit consoles around the end of the month. This particular patch fixes a bunch of lingering issues, with some of note for necromancers.
-Fixed issue with quest scripts that were not shutting down properly
-Adjusted dialogue priority to improve chances of hearing more combat dialogue from certain NPC enemies
-Companions will equip better weapons and armor if given to them
-Fixed issue with respawning actors that were raised by using the Ritual Stone power
These are vague and we won't know what they will do exactly until we get it. My concern is that the quest script shut down fix may take away potential anchors, or anchoring all together.
Some useful loopholes closed include
-Placing an unread Oghma Infinium on a bookshelf in the player's house no longer allows the book to be reused again
-Fixed issue with merchants not receiving the proper additional gold with the Investor perk
The last one stings. I rather enjoyed the 10,000 septim vender.
The full list can be found at http://www.computerandvideogames.com/394262/skyrim-patch-19-adds-legendary-difficulty-fixes-bugs/

Adam Warlock

^ STOKED FOR THAT UPDATE !!!!

Since I`m wealthy beyond the dreams of most mortal men , I`m going to power level Speech as a Legendary Skill multiple times to get the perks/health I need to be an unarmored Necromancer in a world of maxed-cap foes.

Hopefully , the quest "shut down" fix will unblock my Companion`s radiant quests which are halted because killing the boss in Forsaken Cave doesn`t cause the quest arrow to disappear.