Thrall Thread : Living with the dead

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Imrah

With a recent anchoring binge I'm now up to 33 permanent thralls... pretty creepy. But an update on a few i haven't seen on here.
- If you side with the VV, then florentius baenius, sorine jurard, beleval, and agmaer all have perma corpses and are under the level cap. For those of you using ritual stone Isran, Gunmar, Celann, Ingjard, and Durak are all perma as well but over the DT cap.
- The riften quest "The Raid" produces two anchorable candidates Sarthis Idren and Orini Dral. If you save before accepting the quest you can ensure you get the best versions as they are radiant. Idren can spawn a full set of steel plate at highest level.
-Beem-Ja from ironbind barrow can be thralled and is a decent mage with a useful kit. Salma is not anchorable.
- Laelette the Vampire(laid to rest) is anchorable but is a radiant level and could be unthrallable.
- Kesh the Clean is anchorable, scales up to 40 and will dual wield with a forsworn sword. Downside: no armor rating.
- Deeja (Lights Out) is anchorable since she isnt in broken oar grotto.
- Galmar Stone-Fist is anchorable though he may be perma on his own. Non moaner to boot.
- Random mage named Brandish at some fort over by falkreath can be anchored. not worth the time though.
- Safia the pirate captain can be anchored and is pretty good melee thrall. Good health, good armor. Plus she looks cool.
- All of Madanach's group is perma for me without anchoring. I can elaborate on how I completed the quest if anyone is interested, as I think that is why they are. Uruccen and Odvan are useful multi purpose thralls, will equip full forsworn get-up use flesh spells, bow and melee with destruction magic in combat.
All told 14 anchored thralls and 19 perma thralls. Though you can argue Golldir is anchored using the blades glitch. I'd be happy to answer any questions bout the collection!

I too would like to know what that glitch is... Also now having a tough choice between my unanchorables... I still have the master vampire that has served me well so far but now have a Dremora Markynaz Mage too.. Then I find a Master Necromancer... all of which perform well but I can't have 3 and I can't anchor them either... Perhaps I'll have to use the old and wise power that is "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe".

Imrah

Shadowshinra: Your dremora mage should be anchorable. Save, put an anchor into his inventory, fast travel to somewhere else and wait 48 hours. If he is there when you get back then he should be anchorable.

The "blades glitch" is only usable for followers that can join the blades obv. Anyone that joins the blades, then is killed in action or otherwise becomes a permanent corpse. The other perk to this is that their default armor set ( i.e. for Golldir his was iron armor, iron boots, iron gauntlets) then becomes the full blades armor (base armor rating of 88).

Should you be so inclined you could intentionally recruit someone to the blades with the intention of making them a thrall. The hirelings are good candidates here, as they max at 40 and have a good stats. Lv 40 Marcurio with a default set of heavy armor? Thats no glass cannon.

Also as sort of an aside, a cool role playing option for your blades. In the event you choose to kill Paarthurnax, he drops three dragon bones. I used his bones to make eponymous dragonbone swords for each of the blades. Those that slayed paarthurnax now slay with him.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
With a recent anchoring binge I'm now up to 33 permanent thralls... pretty creepy. But an update on a few i haven't seen on here.
- If you side with the VV, then florentius baenius, sorine jurard, beleval, and agmaer all have perma corpses and are under the level cap. For those of you using ritual stone Isran, Gunmar, Celann, Ingjard, and Durak are all perma as well but over the DT cap.
- The riften quest "The Raid" produces two anchorable candidates Sarthis Idren and Orini Dral. If you save before accepting the quest you can ensure you get the best versions as they are radiant. Idren can spawn a full set of steel plate at highest level.
-Beem-Ja from ironbind barrow can be thralled and is a decent mage with a useful kit. Salma is not anchorable.
- Laelette the Vampire(laid to rest) is anchorable but is a radiant level and could be unthrallable.
- Kesh the Clean is anchorable, scales up to 40 and will dual wield with a forsworn sword. Downside: no armor rating.
- Deeja (Lights Out) is anchorable since she isnt in broken oar grotto.
- Galmar Stone-Fist is anchorable though he may be perma on his own. Non moaner to boot.
- Random mage named Brandish at some fort over by falkreath can be anchored. not worth the time though.
- Safia the pirate captain can be anchored and is pretty good melee thrall. Good health, good armor. Plus she looks cool.
- All of Madanach's group is perma for me without anchoring. I can elaborate on how I completed the quest if anyone is interested, as I think that is why they are. Uruccen and Odvan are useful multi purpose thralls, will equip full forsworn get-up use flesh spells, bow and melee with destruction magic in combat.
All told 14 anchored thralls and 19 perma thralls. Though you can argue Golldir is anchored using the blades glitch. I'd be happy to answer any questions bout the collection!
You say Laelette the Vampire is radiant and can scale past the cap?! I have never gotten her to spawn above a one hit lights out weak sauce level :sadface:

I kinda feel like starting a new game for collection puroses now that I know the oghma Infinium is a flawed anchor... hmmm...

Imrah

According to UESP Radiant (1-48). So if you have necromage it doesnt matter. I think mine is in the 20's.
I dont claim to be an expert on skyrim's radiant level system but here is my interpretation:
Some NPC's are assigned a radiant level range. Like radiant quest locations and races, they are put in a hat and one is pulled out and assigned. I would assume it's weighted... so certain levels have more than one opportunity to be pulled from the hat.
Example NPC Radiant (5-10). The possibilities are 5,6,7,7,7,8,8,8,9,9,10. So there is a higher probability of its level falling in the median range. Enemies meant to be encountered earlier in the game would have a higher chance of being a lower level, while enemies ment to be encounter late in games would be the opposite. Bashnag, for example is alleged radiant but I have exclusively encountered him at the high end of his radiant range 40+.
Once they are assigned this radiant level they dont level up like normal NPCs. They would remain at whatever level they are assigned at. Which explains a situation like Lokil, who has a radiant level range up to 65, but for those who are able to thrall him he never levels out of the dead thrall spell range.

Staff member
I've decided to start anew with my newfound knowledge of anchors. Since the Oghma Infinium is faulty as an anchor, that means the Caller might still be anchorable. Wish me luck ;)

Adam Warlock

While most generic NPC have definite levels indicated by their name(Bandit Thug , Master Conjurer) , these are some examples of radiant level NPC who may be considered useful thralls .
Test with a raising spell like Revenant before using Dead Thrall--(after saving).
If they resurrect then they are probably not the high level you want to use.

Master Vampires
Bandit Chiefs
Thalmor Soldiers and Wizards
Forsworn Shamans and Briarhearts
Northwatch Guards and Archers
Alik`r Warriors
Silver Hands
Vampire`s Thralls

Imrah

The shaman's are actually only named "shaman" at level 1. Otherwise they follow the typical forsworn naming patterns.
That method is super useful for determining master vampire levels. You can further narrow it down using the other resurrection spells as well. Sometimes their equipment or combat AI can give hints too.
The thalmor soldiers and wizards that attack you during "a cornered rat" are anchorable. Im using a second file to fully explore all of the potential thralls i missed in the major questlines. I have a growing list of potential anchor candidates just waiting to be murde...I mean accidentally becoming dead somehow of which I had no pre-meditated plans.

Staff member
The shaman's are actually only named "shaman" at level 1. Otherwise they follow the typical forsworn naming patterns.
That method is super useful for determining master vampire levels. You can further narrow it down using the other resurrection spells as well. Sometimes their equipment or combat AI can give hints too.
The thalmor soldiers and wizards that attack you during "a cornered rat" are anchorable. Im using a second file to fully explore all of the potential thralls i missed in the major questlines. I have a growing list of potential anchor candidates just waiting to be murde...I mean accidentally becoming dead somehow of which I had no pre-meditated plans.
Just go with "rehabilitation" ;)

Adam Warlock

lol
you have no idea how tempted my "good" necromancer has been when one of my level 40 followers has been kidnapped and is alone and helpless.

Imrah

Speaking of kidnapping... apparenlty there is a radiant bandit raid installed by hearthfire, led by a named bandit chief. "Roechelle the Red" sends bandits to attack your hearthfire home and kidnap your wife who has to be living there. Anybody encounter this yet? I wanna anchor her but havent had the quest ever activate. The house is too well guarded I guess.

Staff member
Sorry, I don't like how marriage is set up in Skyrim, nor any of the candidates. I have read in the wikis that the quest to recue the wife is extremely glitchy.

Is Rulindil from the Diplomatic Immunity quest any good/Anchorable? I decided it was time to do some main quests last night but haven't got around to do any tests on him..

Adam Warlock

Is Rulindil from the Diplomatic Immunity quest any good/Anchorable? I decided it was time to do some main quests last night but haven't got around to do any tests on him..
Rulindil is about same as the rest of the level 40 mages like Kornalus , etc. except he has a little less hp and a little more magicka.
His robes are already enchanted so you can`t add health to his attire but you can enchant his gloves and boots.
His main strength is destruction magic , primarily shock , and he can heal if given opportunity.

idk if he is like other high-level Thalmor casters as far as conjuring atronarchs on his own but the sorcerer class he belongs to doesn`t have strong skills in that school.

Main drawbacks are squishiness and that awful male Altmer moan

he will need to be anchored as his body is not permanent

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
English is not my primair language >>> what's a thrall? :)

Imrah

Rulindil is anchorable. Combat AI is crap though. He will use sparks until his magicka is depleted... which since he scales to forty takes quite a while. If you want to use him give him staves. He will only infrequently use melee even if given a high quality weapon.