Thrall Thread : Living with the dead

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
To address the issue of respawning bandits, the Silverhand are recycled bandits. If you hold off on doing the Dustman Cairn's quest until a pretty high level, you may find quite a few anchorable marauders. Beyond that, I am unsure. I think that group of forsworn found outside of markarth fighting the orc hunters might be anchorable.

A side note, has anyone ever actually encountered an archer based dremora? I have never encountered one in my near 3,000 hours of Skyrim, yet the Wiki sais they exist.

Currently rolling with an anchored melee dremora Markynaz summoned using the autronach forge and another mage from the Azura's Star questline. After the mage type hitting the melee type with his incinerate spell countless times, I have come to think that NPCs of the same faction may be more lenient, even after "rehabilitation".

These two make a great team on master difficulty, the melee often tanking quite well (the extra 100hp from the perk is invaluable) for the mage. Against higher leveled enemies like legendary dragons or groups of falmer (the higher leveled ones) and enemies similar to those they have trouble, and will likely need revival. For my current character, that isn't much of a problem with custom enchanted muffled boots, maxed illusion tree (aside from the perks that make em cost half as much) for dual cast invisibility, coupled with a high sneak level, I am rarely ever noticed during fights. I also have custom enchanted gear to lower the cost of illusion and conjuration spells to zero. Needless to say, my two dremora (The melee one being called Maximus) rarely stay down for more than 4 seconds. Eventhough there are better thralls out there, I just never get tired of dremora.

Edit: Dremora refuse to use their offhand for anything, except hold a 2h weapon or the mage types for wards and healing, and occasionally (uber rare) dual casting. Note that mage types refuse to use melee weapons or shields in combat, as the one I have seems to never use weapons I give to him.

Staff member
My next goal is to anchor Melkor or whatever from "Break of Dawn" so I can release his shade at will for when I want certain people "removed". Other than that, he is a good spellcaster. I know little about him other than the fact his shade appears on death (even after reanimation rehabilitation) and he is victim to the annoying bug where he constantly has weapons/fists raised. I suppose I can live with that.... and his moan isn't the worst if memory serves. He doesn't respawn so he should be anchorable.

Staff member
Lokir or whatever, the vampire from the cave where you wake up Serana, should also be anchorable. He does not moan and Adam I remember used him extensively during Dawnguard.

Ghunzul also does not respawn, and thus should be anchorable. Right? I don't see me preserving him for anything other than "complete collection" purposes. He is subject to the "I wonna fight! I'm never gonna put down my dukes!" Thing. He also does not scale with me on most playthroughs, which I find annoying.

The Caller is not anchorable, she disappears indefinitely if left unattended. Estormo should be anchorable, and Ancano is anchorable for sure (though he scales past 40). The Archmage is not anchorable as you can't access his inventory (as far as I know).

Can anyone tell me if random encounters can now be made permanent using anchors? If so, which ones? I have noticed the revelers make their way to Solitude's stables.

DRAGONBORN DLC SPOILERS AHEAD------------------------------------------------------------

Lurker Vindicators are indeed usuable outside of Apocrypha. The ones located on Solsteim scale in level with the player (at least in my case). The group of people you are tasked with killing by the Reiklings might make descent anchorable thralls. Some of the higher leveled Cultists (Dragonborn) should be anchorable. If you can convine one a shield enchanted with hundreds of thousands of hitpoints is better than their ward, you can make one invincible.

Adam Warlock

Lokir or whatever, the vampire from the cave where you wake up Serana, should also be anchorable. He does not moan and Adam I remember used him extensively during Dawnguard.

Ghunzul also does not respawn, and thus should be anchorable. Right? I don't see me preserving him for anything other than "complete collection" purposes. He is subject to the "I wonna fight! I'm never gonna put down my dukes!" Thing. He also does not scale with me on most playthroughs, which I find annoying.

The Caller is not anchorable, she disappears indefinitely if left unattended. Estormo should be anchorable, and Ancano is anchorable for sure (though he scales past 40). The Archmage is not anchorable as you can't access his inventory (as far as I know).

Can anyone tell me if random encounters can now be made permanent using anchors? If so, which ones? I have noticed the revelers make their way to Solitude's stables.

DRAGONBORN DLC SPOILERS AHEAD------------------------------------------------------------

Lurker Vindicators are indeed usuable outside of Apocrypha. The ones located on Solsteim scale in level with the player (at least in my case). The group of people you are tasked with killing by the Reiklings might make descent anchorable thralls. Some of the higher leveled Cultists (Dragonborn) should be anchorable. If you can convine one a shield enchanted with hundreds of thousands of hitpoints is better than their ward, you can make one invincible.
Ghunzul respawns but doesn`t disappear quite as quickly as the generic Bandit Chief.
I have found that if you sneak kill one of his incarnations before he becomes aggressive , the resultant thrall may not have "dukes up" all the time.
The Cultists encountered outside the Temple of Miraak respawn but perhaps the ones encountered inside can be anchored since the inside doesnt reset. idk

I have discovered no random encounter characters (who would otherwise respawn) to be anchorable to permanency.

"Anchorable to permanency" so far includes only---
1. most , but not all , non-respawning named NPC (such as the vampire Lokil)
2. the rare generic NPC who is non-respawning(in a technical sense)

Examples of the 2nd category typically include generic targets of mini-quests where the target is NOT a member of the regularly respawning cast of a particular site.
The escaped Criminal in the Companion`s quests , the vampire leader of a non-vampire site in Dawnguard quests , etc.

Because of the problem with encountering some of these BEFORE you have the Dead Thrall spell , it is suggested that appropriate candidates be anchored in a known and memorable location so that the player can return to thrall them at a later time.

Been viewing this thread for a while but still haven't actually read every single post so I registered to ask a quick question.. Is the glitch that allows you to upgrade a Master Vampire into a Volkihar Master vampire been patched? If so what's the best replacement for it?

Imrah

My next goal is to anchor Melkor or whatever
If only the greatest of the Ainur were anchorable. The cries of my enemies would resound from the peaks of Thangorodrim.
Lokil is anchorable... sort of. He does respawn. Which is odd, because dimhollow crypt does not. But anywho if you do not visit his body every 30 days he will eventually disappear. Though I have had him disappear then reappear on me a couple times now. He should be fine as long as you dont store something you would miss on him.
To the best of my knowledge random encounters are not anchorable. The revelers, however, are perma by themselves but that is an uncommon blip.

Adam Warlock

Been viewing this thread for a while but still haven't actually read every single post so I registered to ask a quick question.. Is the glitch that allows you to upgrade a Master Vampire into a Volkihar Master vampire been patched? If so what's the best replacement for it?
I was never able to get that so-called upgrade to work for me , either before or after Dawnguard.
Had a big downside anyway because you have to keep the new thrall continously active or lose it because of the level cap.

Level 42 Master Vampires are one of the most powerful Dead Thralls in the game.
Shock , Frost , Drain Life , Enchantable light armor, and they will use weapons more often than other casters.
Buffed health , magicka , and stamina.
Provide resistance to fire and you`re good to go.

But if that`s not enough, go for Volkihars who are practically as powerful as Volkihar Masters anyway.

I was never able to get that so-called upgrade to work for me , either before or after Dawnguard.
Had a big downside anyway because you have to keep the new thrall continously active or lose it because of the level cap.

Level 42 Master Vampires are one of the most powerful Dead Thralls in the game.
Shock , Frost , Drain Life , Enchantable light armor, and they will use weapons more often than other casters.
Buffed health , magicka , and stamina.
Provide resistance to fire and you`re good to go.

But if that`s not enough, go for Volkihars who are practically as powerful as Volkihar Masters anyway.

Yeah I though it was weird that I could only find one video about it and several posts saying the same thing the guy said in the video.. Either way I'll keep trying every now and then, might as well no harm done and only takes a few seconds..

I currently have a Master Vampire that's in Orcish armour (Had one that was only in rags once and wouldn't respawn with anything other than those rags when I enter a new cell xD) Should I keep respawning him till he's in Light armour? He was paired up with Sebastian Lort but I decided on a change and replaced him with a Dremora Markynaz, I believe Sebastian is said to respawn anyway if I ever wanted him again.. What levels do Volkihars show up? Currently Level 40..

Wow that Dremora is weak dies quicker than anything I've ever revived... Probably because they don't actually have armour and it's just apart of their design... Could go for a second Vamp or go for Orchendor but for now I'll just Dread some Draugr till I'm out of this cave....

Staff member
The dremora's armour is not just a skin. You can look it up in the wiki. I believe the base stat of the chest piece is 57 and the guantlants and boots like 17... but idr. Also, dremora markynaz are more powerful than the dremora lords you can summon. Are you sure he doesn't just have a weak weapon? With a deadric greatsword enchanted and upgraded, my dremora can take on one to two deathlords at a time.

Staff member
If only the greatest of the Ainur were anchorable. The cries of my enemies would resound from the peaks of Thangorodrim.

Lokil is anchorable... sort of. He does respawn. Which is odd, because dimhollow crypt does not. But anywho if you do not visit his body every 30 days he will eventually disappear. Though I have had him disappear then reappear on me a couple times now. He should be fine as long as you dont store something you would miss on him.

To the best of my knowledge random encounters are not anchorable. The revelers, however, are perma by themselves but that is an uncommon blip.
I didn't even realize I'd made the reference to Tolkien.

Nope, He had a Ebony Mace with a decent fire enchantment, He died from one or two hits from a Dragon Priest while me, Golldir and the Master Vampire were tanking it, And I'm just running a mage character with very limited light armour training.... Perhaps he was just a very unlucky Dremora.. I'll go to the forge and try for a new one and see if it's better than it's older brother..

Staff member
Nope, He had a Ebony Mace with a decent fire enchantment, He died from one or two hits from a Dragon Priest while me, Golldir and the Master Vampire were tanking it, And I'm just running a mage character with very limited light armour training.... Perhaps he was just a very unlucky Dremora.. I'll go to the forge and try for a new one and see if it's better than it's older brother..
Magic is their exclusive weakness, and what level are you? Also what difficulty? My dremora has taken on many dragon priests while with me. I guess Maximus is unique to my game.

This character is Level 40 on Adept.. Perhaps I'll try my luck and try and get a Mage Dremora from the forge if possible so he can stay at the back and away from the magic users.

Staff member
The forge only spits out melee variants as far I know. On master difficulty they do better because the fight is extended. However, at level forty the enemies you encounter should be a piece of cake for it to handle. My best advice is give it a better weapon, a two handed one, with absorb health, and if you have the twin souls perk, absorb stamina. They don't do so well with one handed weapons. I hope you have good crafting skills.

Staff member
My current setup:
Maximus:
Dragab sword (legendary)A dragonbone 2h sword with absorb health(20) and stamina (25)
Mage whom I haven't named: All the magicka potions I have

They won't use any other potions but magicka potions.

Feared as much.. I'll stick with melee Dremora for a short while then.. Unless you have an idea of where I can find a mage Dremora.. Or a Volkihar Vampire before they get out of my Dead Thrall's level range..

Here's my current setup: Shiea Eaytren, Female Imperial Spellsword with a Glass Sword of the Blaze
Followers; Master Vampire i've grown fond of calling him Urrgh because that's the noise he makes xD
Golldir wearing Ebony armour and weapons with random enchantments that escape me at the moment but he does his job at Tanking.. Until he takes an Incinerate to the face and I have to go back a save...again...

Staff member
Feared as much.. I'll stick with melee Dremora for a short while then.. Unless you have an idea of where I can find a mage Dremora.. Or a Volkihar Vampire before they get out of my Dead Thrall's level range..

Here's my current setup: Shiea Eaytren, Female Imperial Spellsword with a Glass Sword of the Blaze
Followers; Master Vampire i've grown fond of calling him Urrgh because that's the noise he makes xD
Golldir wearing Ebony armour and weapons with random enchantments that escape me at the moment but he does his job at Tanking.. Until he takes an Incinerate to the face and I have to go back a save...again...
Mage dremoras are found during the quest for "Azura's Star". Volkihars are most commonly found in the vampire cave in Morthal's swamp. You have to do the quest linked to it though, and save before entering so you can reload if you don't get a volkihar the first time. They will be unanchorable.

Staff member
Aren't most of the vampires from that cave where you rescue Serana anchorable?

Not sure, Would be nice though, I haven't actually installed Dawnguard for this playthrough as I'm taking my time with quests and whatnot and the vampire attacks can get annoying if you don't save people in time and I'm also staying away from the main quest so I don't have the Elder Scroll needed either... But if they are... I may have to rethink my decision.....