Thrall Thread : Living with the dead

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
Haha. A fact I neglected to mention about Valehk is that he refuses to turn to ashes.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
Hjordis and Rakel of the Frostmoon Pack have joined the Warlock Army .
The other 2 werewolves there became beasts but would have been too powerful(lvl50) to thrall anyway.

Not especially powerful , these ladies are Level 30 but yet have more than 100 hp LESS than a lower ranked Bandit Chief or Marauder.
Good archers though and quite nice to look at , especially Rakel .
Moans are tolerable.

Don`t be in a rush to get them because they scale at a meager 0.40 compared to the Dragonborn so they won`t be reaching their capped stats until you are at level 75 !

So they transform while thralled?

Staff member
Wouldn't that be something? But no. Nothing will transform while thralled.

Adam Warlock

Current Dead Thrall active roster with locations

Windstad - heavy armor
Umana , Sulla Trebatius , Haldyn , Reaver Lord*(Shipley) , and Uthgerd the Broken

Cracked Tusk Keep - Light Armor
Hewnon Black-Skeever , Draff , Hjordis , Rakel , Agmaer , Beleval , 2 Mistwatch Bandits , 2 Bandits from Nilheim, Bandit Marauder , and a Northwatch Guard

Heljarchen - Mages
Anise , Anska , Arondil , Kornalus , Orchendor , Sild the Warlock , Silus Vesuius , and a Master Necromancer

Dushnikh Yal - Undead
9 Master Vampires and a Volkihar

Many others scattered about but none as useful as these

if question about any particular one , just ask

Staff member
If it is worth note, revelers from the random encounter possess permanent corpses. Almost completely useless without the restoration loop. I have not tested one, but I have notice that their dead bodies have NEVER dissappeared on any playthrough they die in.

Does the anchoring with items the game doesn't delete only work on master vampires without a respawn script?

Their is a dead MV at the former Stendar base place, if you have dawnguard downloaded. He retains dialouge clips, but his inventory resets if you leave his body somewhere, and he seems to be relatively low level(more than likely the weakest variant). He is okay w/o the restoration loop, but you can supplement his lack of spells with staves, which he won't hesitate to use.

Warrior variants of dremora markynaz are useful w/o the restoration loop against almost anything but high tiered dragons and falmer. The falmer will eat him alive. So will high tiered vampires and briar hearts. Spellcasters are his exlcusive and most exploited weakness.

I can't think of many more tips atm, most has already been covered, and bringing my experiances to the forefront of my mind is difficult. I will return with more, hopefully.

Edit: the golden claw refuses to be duplicated. Do any of the claws duplicate?

Staff member
Sorry if this has already been reported, but the golden claw will not anchor MVs from random vampire attacks on cities. The little bugger disappeared as soon as I left. (His body disappeared that is, I didn't thrall him)

Adam Warlock

Re: creating weapons that will act as anchors for your thralls ?

Need help confirming an idea I have.
I`ve got 5 weapons that persist in vendor`s inventories and they work as anchors for appropriate corpses.
Odd enchanted ones ranging from a Steel Dagger of Fear to a Dwarven Greatsword of Thunderbolts.
Must be loot items as I`m certain they weren`t purchased
My suspicion is that these are caused when an enemy NPC drops them when fighting you.
i.e. you get the weapon from the ground not their inventory.
i know for a fact that at least 2 of the 5 were like that
All feedback appreciated

Imrah

The golden claw wont anchor, it is one of the claws that doesnt work. The permanent items page on the UESP wiki is a good starting point for prospects, though i always test them first. Usually any journal will work, bandit journals, named npc journals etc. The Vampires that are attacks on cities also don't anchor for reasons i dont quite understand.

Adam, you tried these weapons out on corpses and they work?
I have literally 60 iron daggers that are persistent in AA's blacksmith inventory in whiterun. They were part of a power levelling smithing/enchanting run. Though they remain in her inventory I have had no luck getting them to anchor bodies. I havent had any luck with generic non-quest related items working in that capacity.

Adam Warlock

The golden claw wont anchor, it is one of the claws that doesnt work. The permanent items page on the UESP wiki is a good starting point for prospects, though i always test them first. Usually any journal will work, bandit journals, named npc journals etc. The Vampires that are attacks on cities also don't anchor for reasons i dont quite understand.

Adam, you tried these weapons out on corpses and they work?
I have literally 60 iron daggers that are persistent in AA's blacksmith inventory in whiterun. They were part of a power levelling smithing/enchanting run. Though they remain in her inventory I have had no luck getting them to anchor bodies. I havent had any luck with generic non-quest related items working in that capacity.
some vendor persistent weapons work to anchor notably only enchanted ones for me , others like silver swords and yes i had some persistent steel daggers that didn`t anchor.
also some books that stick in vendor`s lists don`t work but many others do.

For what it`s worth my weapons that work to anchor are a Steel Dagger of Fear , Steel Mace of Cowardice , Dwarven Greatsword of Siphoning , Iron Greatsword of Torpor , and Dwarven Greatsword of Thunderbolts.

The only thing in common is that I acquired at least 2 as clean drops from kills.

Mostly I had been using Letter from the Vampire but used the last one on my 9th vampire lol

I haven`t found that any open air encounters with random vampires have much chance of getting a thrall long term.
There`s a male Volkihar who will spawn west of Halted Spring Camp that I`ve tried to hold twice but he`s just as bad to go poof as those random Thalmor patrols I used to hunt.

I do have some promise with a female Volkihar I got from Haemar`s Shame during a Cleansing Light quest.
She`s currently anchored with the Dwarven GS of Siphoning and has lasted longer than any volkihar to date.
In fact , I got another quest there after a while and the spot that she originally manned was empty !

Shipley the Reaver Lord finally disappeared (along with his Letter from the Vampire) after @40 days or so game time.
Not bad considering they normally vanish in 48 hrs
Will have to return to his point of origin to see if the letter may survive on a respawn

Adam Warlock

A very foolish Elder Dragon attacked my undead stronghold at Dushnikh Yal .

Ritual Stone raised 9 Master Vampires and a Volkihar !

(sound of Dragonborn madly giggling)

Haru17

Lost Falmer
A very foolish Elder Dragon attacked my undead stronghold at Dushnikh Yal .

Ritual Stone raised 9 Master Vampires and a Volkihar !

(sound of Dragonborn madly giggling)

*Dragon crashes to the ground, impaled with upwards of twenty icy spears and thoroughly electrocuted.*

Staff member
*Dragon crashes to the ground, impaled with upwards of twenty icy spears and thoroughly electrocuted.*
With my luck it would land on me and flatulate before dieing.

Adam Warlock

With my luck it would land on me and flatulate before dieing.
Use Clear Skies shout to repel that noxious cloud !

This is why dragons are referred to as a "foul" beast .
No odor more putrid than the gas that comes from dining at a Guard buffet.

Adam Warlock

Dragonborn DLC easter egg ?

You know all those bodies that you discover already dead when you are out adventuring ?
The Adventurers , Hunters , Bandits , Alchemists , etc. who all turn out to be absolutely useless as Dead Thralls because they are lvl 1 and have ZERO health ?
All they are good for is a little bit of loot.

I routinely test these discoveries with Reanimate Corpse spell to determine if they just might be of a level/stats to be worth keeping since they would not need an anchoring item to remain permanent in any place you`ve put them.

Near Snowclad Ruins on Solstheim , I discovered the dead body of a Reaver Plunderer who resisted the raising spell ! After testing and checking info at wiki , I`m convinced this particular one is a legit lvl 19 version of the 1h type bandit class.

But like the Adventurers , etc. she resembles ; while her corpse always remains static , her inventory does reset after a while. I stow her prepared gear in a nearby safe container until I`m ready to use her.
I will avoid using her around Necromancers , Vampires , or Serana since she is vulnerable to being turned to ash by Revenant.
Like her fellow Reavers , she talks rather than moans.

With her improved equipment , she was able to whittle a Giant`s hp down to less than 100 before he launched her skyward with his club.

Adam Warlock

The target bandit leaders(Marauder or Chief) that Kjor the sea captain in Windhelm wants you to kill are able to be anchored with a persistent object.
I currently have a male 2h Nord Marauder(Lost Knife) , female Dunmer mage Marauder(Stoney Creek) , and male Redguard Chief(Uttering Hills) held down with "Beware the Butcher " pamphlets.

Imrah

hmm the "beware the butcher" pamphlets dont work as anchors for me. Its a major bummer, cause there are 20 of them. Maybe they will work after i finish blood on the ice.
Beware of the radiant targets that are existing targets. Since that makes little sense ill clarify. If location X is the target location for a bandit chief, but the location typically has a bandit chief already, the existing chief gets used. Same thing I would assume happens with the vampires, but the vampire dens are less common. Radiant locations like Bloodskaal barrow that normally would not have a vampire, will produce a radiant target with no cleanup script. Targets in the other category will eventually respawn with their dungeons, at least in my expierence.

But as I am in the group of people hoping im wrong, I have a thrall I plucked from a volkihar radiant quest. She was in the dungeon, but not the target of the quest. A female Volkihar vampire with vocal clips! And to my upmost glee, they are different from the master vampire reel. Now I can have a MV and a VV having polite conversations whilst zapping and chopping through skyrim's finest.
If she fails testing, I may just take the pains to maintain her despite it. All she needs now is a name and some enchanted armor...

Adam Warlock

hmm the "beware the butcher" pamphlets dont work as anchors for me. Its a major bummer, cause there are 20 of them. Maybe they will work after i finish blood on the ice.
Beware of the radiant targets that are existing targets. Since that makes little sense ill clarify. If location X is the target location for a bandit chief, but the location typically has a bandit chief already, the existing chief gets used. Same thing I would assume happens with the vampires, but the vampire dens are less common. Radiant locations like Bloodskaal barrow that normally would not have a vampire, will produce a radiant target with no cleanup script. Targets in the other category will eventually respawn with their dungeons, at least in my expierence.

But as I am in the group of people hoping im wrong, I have a thrall I plucked from a volkihar radiant quest. She was in the dungeon, but not the target of the quest. A female Volkihar vampire with vocal clips! And to my upmost glee, they are different from the master vampire reel. Now I can have a MV and a VV having polite conversations whilst zapping and chopping through skyrim's finest.
If she fails testing, I may just take the pains to maintain her despite it. All she needs now is a name and some enchanted armor...
If it makes a diff , I did complete Blood on the Ice a long time ago and these pamphlets had been in my wifes store inventory ever since.

I hope that you can hold on to your volkihar. my current long-term attempt in with a similar situation to yours.
I`ve got a second one but she moans and will probably be discarded to retrieve her anchor for another thrall.

Adam Warlock

Damn !
Went to Solstheim and when I returned to Dushnikh Yal , both of my Volkihars were gone !
All the Master Vampires remain unchanged.
In consolation , the Reaver Plunderer`s body yielded another 60 gold and 2 lockpicks to snag.

Adam Warlock

I must agree that the target be add-on rather than a substitution to have a shot at permanency.
Both known subs , the mage marauder and the redguard chief , vanished during long-term test.
The earliest acquired marauder from Lost Knife is still holding so hopefully he`s not a regular cast member.

A formerly disappeared Reaver Lord respawned to attack me at Windstad Manor.
Searching his body revealed 250 gold , Stormfang , and a copy of Beware the Butcher !

Imrah

A time consuming method but effective way to get good radiant targets from VV or DG quest givers.
1) Complete a radiant quest from them. The thing i have found is that the radiant quest giver and location of said quest are determined after you turn in the previous quest (since you can have only one active at a time). 2) When you return to the castle, turn the quest in then 3) accept new quest. If the quest doesnt provide a useful thrall, because of location or level, reload the autosave entering the castle. This allows you to turn the quest in again and spawn a new radiant quest.
In the case where you target a master vampire, save before fast travelling to the location. Entering the zone spawns the vamp at a radiant level. For some reason even at lvl 81 the quests spawn predominately lvl 14 MV's for me. Re-loading the save before fast travel allows you to re-spawn a different radiant MV. Repeat until the talking lvl 30+ vampire is yours!