Thrall Thread : Living with the dead

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
Has any one had trouble with thralls picked up at Fellglow Keep?
What happens ?

I went as part of the Collage of Winterhold quest so possible spoiler alert.

I just unlocked the Dead Thrall spell on this character so I thought I would go mage shopping. My original plan was to defeat and thrall The Caller. When I entered the Final area neither my follower or 2 thralls would follow me in. After finally killing The Caller then thralling her I headed back out . one of my previous thralls had vanished (no big deal Dawnguard are a dime a dozen). When I was outside I noticed neither the Caller or Storm Mage would fast travel. And after reloading a previous save none of the mages would thrall and I didnt get any message that they resisted the spell.

Adam Warlock

Has any one had trouble with thralls picked up at Fellglow Keep?
What happens ?

I just unlocked the Dead Thrall spell on this character so I thought I would go mage shopping. My original plan was to defeat and thrall The Caller. When I entered the Final area neither my follower or 2 thralls would follow me in. After finally killing The Caller then thralling her I headed back out . one of my previous thralls had vanished (no big deal Dawnguard are a dime a dozen). When I was outside I noticed neither the Caller or Storm Mage would fast travel. And after reloading a previous save none of the mages would thrall and I didnt get any message that they resisted the spell.
Not sure what caused your problem.
Thralls from special quest areas often wont be "normal" in behavior.
Randomly encountered NPC can also be troublesome.
(The werewolf hunters you only encounter in the quest out of Falkreath involving Sindig won`t exit their grotto for instance).
I run into dud corpses every now and then as well.

The Phoenician

Yeah I figured it had a lot to do with the mission specific npcs. I havnt had that problem anywhere else. I think I'll go back to Fellglow later on to see if it happens again.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
What happens ?

(The werewolf hunters you only encounter in the quest out of Falkreath involving Sindig won`t exit their grotto for instance).
Can you lure them out of the grotto before you kill them?

Staff member
Yeah I figured it had a lot to do with the mission specific npcs. I havnt had that problem anywhere else. I think I'll go back to Fellglow later on to see if it happens again.
The Caller room doesn't allow you to bring summons or thralls in. They will wait outside, and try to get in. If you wait too long to finish the Caller and get out, they will disappear. Happens to me all the time. Just kill your thralls before you go in. As for the Caller not fast traveling, and the AI and thralling problems, no idea. Just one of those glitches. The Caller is nothing special anyways.

Adam Warlock

Can you lure them out of the grotto before you kill them?
They wouldn`t exit for me whether living and hostile or dead and thralled.
I even tried to push one out using Unrelenting Force to no effect.
They disappear immediately when you are forced to speak to Hircine after quest is done.

Staff member
I feel kinda sad that this thread has halted in its tracks...

Adam Warlock

Continued experiments with anchoring.

Visited the Red Wave where that ship is docked at Solitude.
Please note that I had destroyed the DB so will never get the quest to go there.

Used rapid double casts of Reanimate Corpse spells in the face to temporarily turn the two essential NPC (Dorian and Sabine) into ash piles. These have subsequenty respawned.

Then killed the rest and anchored both Safia(http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Safia) and Eris(http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Eris) using Treasure Maps I and X.

Both are excellent thralls.
Safia is a very powerful warrior , rivaling any of the level 40 thralls I have tested.
Eris is of the very rare Witchblade class and while she casts fire spells and heals much like a mage , she appears much more willing to switch to melee or bow than the typical casters.

Either or both are recommended depending on your needs.

Staff member
A lot of my anchors have been failing recently. Slowly at first, but bodies that should've been anchored would just be gone one day when I came back. I don't remember what items I was using, but the most notable disappearance is the mage dremora markynaz. It's been awhile though, I would've reported it sooner if I'd thought to. My melee variant anchored with the blood extractor thing is still going strong though.

Adam Warlock

A lot of my anchors have been failing recently. Slowly at first, but bodies that should've been anchored would just be gone one day when I came back. I don't remember what items I was using, but the most notable disappearance is the mage dremora markynaz. It's been awhile though, I would've reported it sooner if I'd thought to. My melee variant anchored with the blood extractor thing is still going strong though.
Yeah , my Markynaz won`t stay put either.
Returning to the Shrine where he was obtained , he had respawned as a Valkynaz but still had the placed persistent objects in inventory. Later to respawn as a Caitiff , finally a Markynaz once again.

Staff member
Returning to the Shrine where he was obtained , he had respawned as a Valkynaz but still had the placed persistent objects in inventory. Later to respawn as a Caitiff , finally a Markynaz once again.
You can still pick up Markynaz at higher levels? That would save me sooo much trouble.

Adam Warlock

You can still pick up Markynaz at higher levels? That would save me sooo much trouble.
My Shrine of Mehrunes Dagon regulary respawns 4 dremora.
Always 2 Valkynaz outside and a pair of radiants(one brave/one cowardly) inside.
I can usually get a brave Markynaz about once in 3 or 4 visits.

The anchors seem to hold them for short periods but don`t make them permanent.
If the respawn doesn`t have your placed items ,then those objects probably weren`t permanent to begin with.
In the case of my dremora , a Basket as well as a stack of 23 Sabre Cat Pelts are always found on the corpse.

Staff member
Always 2 Valkynaz outside and a pair of radiants(one brave/one cowardly) inside.

If the respawn doesn`t have your placed items ,then those objects probably weren`t permanent to begin with.
In the case of my dremora , a Basket as well as a stack of 23 Sabre Cat Pelts are always found on the corpse.
I have never had a Markynaz spawn inside once Valkynaz start spawning outside... I will have to test this. I have a permanent Melee variant I got from summoning one with the autronach forge. Btw, the wiki lists dremora archers, but I have never seen any. Is it possible to encounter one?

Adam Warlock

I have never had a Markynaz spawn inside once Valkynaz start spawning outside... I will have to test this. I have a permanent Melee variant I got from summoning one with the autronach forge. Btw, the wiki lists dremora archers, but I have never seen any. Is it possible to encounter one?
No archers at the shrine in my game. I can`t recall if any Dremora in Azura`s Star or Shalidor`s Maze quest had bows or not.
No archers ever summoned by the Atronarch Forge either.

Staff member

No archers at the shrine in my game. I can`t recall if any Dremora in Azura`s Star or Shalidor`s Maze quest had bows or not.
I've never encountered one either.

The Phoenician

I found a nice little bonus to thralling Uthgurd. I used her as a follower for a bit and decided to make her my tank thrall.

Shortly after killing her the first time I got her inheritance letter and some gold. As I was making my way around to improve her gear each time I rekilled her I would get another inheritance letter and gold.

Adam Warlock

I found a nice little bonus to thralling Uthgurd. I used her as a follower for a bit and decided to make her my tank thrall.

Shortly after killing her the first time I got her inheritance letter and some gold. As I was making my way around to improve her gear each time I rekilled her I would get another inheritance letter and gold.
Yes , it`s nice to know all that gold she made kicking ass in bar brawls isn`t going to go to waste !

Staff member
I've found that difficulty affects the outcome of almost every engagement between NPCs. There are a lot of ways in which it does this that I've noticed:
Finishing Moves occur much more frequently on master and legendary.
All NPCs take substantially less damage, and drastically prolong the fight. This works to the advantage of some NPCs more than others.
NPCs will find more time to actually use potions.
The AI just seems to be all around better, and the slow AIs that take FOREVER to do something, like dremora, make a substantial improvement with difficulty.

Just some observations I've made. I can't remember em all though, so there might be more. Anyone else noticed this?

Adam Warlock

My latest method of making it challenging at higher levels .
1. Play on Legendary difficulty.
2. No Smithing or Enchanting.
3. No Dremora Lords.

I`ve also stopped improving thralls armor although I do give them improved , enchanted weapons.

Current build mostly courtesty of purchases from my Dremora Merchant , Monty.
The Daedric DreadKnight.
Helmet of Peerless Archery , Armor of Renewal , Gauntlets of Peerless Wielding , Boots of Peerless Stamina.
Dagger , Mace , and Bow of the Inferno
Amulet of Talos and Ring of Revival

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts