Thrall Thread : Living with the dead

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Danuvius

Yes, I think I may have been running away from one group(or a Mammoth from the nearby Giant camp) and lead them into clashing with the others.
Didn`t appear to be scripted but memory of the event is dim.
Oh, it's definitely a random encounter -- just a very rare one. The only encounters I get are the Travelers and the random attacks on cities.

btw - I`ve found that Umana gets better results with an Enchanted Daedric Shield as opposed to the Targe of the Blooded.
Because of it`s higher base armor rating , the Daedric shield gets 2 points more base Bash damage than the Targe which applies to all foes. This makes up for the loss of any damage to those opponents which bleed.

Tempering and adding Health and/or Magic Resistance enchants to the Daedric shield turns an already formidable warrior into a Steel Plate death machine !
Duly noted; however, it wouldn't have mattered -- I always use the Targe of the Blooded as a wall ornament, especially if I'm playing as a vampire.

Does Hamelyn make for a good thrall?

Adam Warlock

There`s a nice random encounter area just over the hill west of the Dawnstar fast-travel point.(@200 yards)
Also one about 100 yards east of Anise`s Cabin ( Treasure Hunter with note a regular)
Head south along the path from Dushnik Yal until the path turns left for another one .

A wide variety of NPC appear at these spots , some hostile and sometimes not.

My last trip to Dawnstar I found 2 Werewolf Vagr fighting a bandit/
Unfortunately the Vagr couldn`t be raised with Dead Thrall or even with the Ritual Stone power , for that matter.
The time before that it was 2 Blood Horkers laying for me.
They would raise with Dead Thrall , but like the male Volkihar Vampire I once encountered(just west of Halted Stream), would become immediately hostile to me after any loading screen.

Adam Warlock

Continuing tests with anchoring.

The executioner in Solitude , Ahtar (not my follower) , WILL NOT anchor with a permanent object.
Tested with Letter from the Vampire , Treasure Map X , and the Ebony Blade and he disappeared each time.

Perhaps his status changes as a follower or if you recruit him into The Blades.

Dr.Madness

Overlord of the Void
Well I went back on Jorslak ( High Elf Necromancer, Level 29) and I have found one of the most entertaining groups I could make, each a master of a different part of the Destruction School:
Illia (follower) (Frost Magic)
Sild the Warlock (Fire Magic)
Haeyln (Shock Magic) (I can't remember how to spell his name, but he is the boss from the "Rise in the East" quest.

Spells I've Seen:
Illia: Frost Cloak, Icy Spear/Ice Spike, Close Wounds, Stone Flesh.
Sild: Fire Cloak, Fireball, Close Wounds, Stone Flesh.
Haeyln: Lightning Cloak, Thunderbolt, Close Wounds, Stone Flesh.

Sadly when I was doing the Blood on the Ice quest (I was able to buy the house, but I didn't do the quest; it triggered upon entering) I returned home after buying all the décor for Hjerim, but to my horror many of the corpses I had piled high respawned. The Bandit Highwayman mage I had evolved into a shock mage, the Briarheart I had was put down quickly, and most of my thralls were gone. I have only Ulfric, Sula, Umana, a Briarheart, and that bandit mage left. (excluding Sild and Haeyln)
I ordered the Legendary Editon off Amazon and it should be here by Tuesday, I plan on joining the Volikar faction and I'm just wondering, due to my level I should be able to thrall anyone, are there any good thralls?

Also, I posted about this before (I have bad memory) but can someone refresh me on anchoring?

Adam Warlock

Well I went back on Jorslak ( High Elf Necromancer, Level 29) and I have found one of the most entertaining groups I could make, each a master of a different part of the Destruction School:
Illia (follower) (Frost Magic)
Sild the Warlock (Fire Magic)
Haeyln (Shock Magic) (I can't remember how to spell his name, but he is the boss from the "Rise in the East" quest.

Spells I've Seen:
Illia: Frost Cloak, Icy Spear/Ice Spike, Close Wounds, Stone Flesh.
Sild: Fire Cloak, Fireball, Close Wounds, Stone Flesh.
Haeyln: Lightning Cloak, Thunderbolt, Close Wounds, Stone Flesh.

Sadly when I was doing the Blood on the Ice quest (I was able to buy the house, but I didn't do the quest; it triggered upon entering) I returned home after buying all the décor for Hjerim, but to my horror many of the corpses I had piled high respawned. The Bandit Highwayman mage I had evolved into a shock mage, the Briarheart I had was put down quickly, and most of my thralls were gone. I have only Ulfric, Sula, Umana, a Briarheart, and that bandit mage left. (excluding Sild and Haeyln)
I ordered the Legendary Editon off Amazon and it should be here by Tuesday, I plan on joining the Volikar faction and I'm just wondering, due to my level I should be able to thrall anyone, are there any good thralls?

Also, I posted about this before (I have bad memory) but can someone refresh me on anchoring?
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Permanent_and_persistent_items

Most of the Dawnguard faction are thrallable level 25 Bandit class with 3 pieces of armor.
The best are Durak , Celann , and Ingthard but they will not be rethrallable after you reach level 40.

Arch-Curate Vyrthur will also be thrallable but only until lvl 33or 34

Possible that Lokil may be a lvl 42Master Vampire who can be thralled with Necromage

Danuvius

Would the Volkihar Keep, preferably the thrall pen, be an ideal place to store corpses? Or would they despawn when the Keep resets after 10 days?

Adam Warlock

^Bodies which respawn will do so regardless of where you store them.
Storing in a location that does not reset makes no difference on whether they vanish.
A site that resets has no effect on otherwise permanent corpses.
Patches have greatly reduced the number who RESPAWN alive where you left them rather than back at their point of origin but it still happens occasionally.
Most corpses will disappear if left behind for a short period although there are a few who will hang around much longer but they too will eventually vanish.
It`s hard to count how many bodies I`ve lost this way but such are the dangers of necromancy.
Even so , the revelation of anchoring for named non-respawning NPC has increased an already sizable pool of thrall candidates.

My Dremora Markynaz had vanished from Windstad even though I had anchored him.
On return to the Shrine of Mehrunes Dagon , I found a Churl who was carrying that Treasure Map I .
The Ice Queen Forsworn Ravager from Karthspire respawned alive in Fort Dawnguard but when left there again she was next encountered back at her camp.

Danuvius

Oh no, I meant non-respawning NPCs -- not generic ones. I've never actually tried storing a thrall in a respawning location which is why I asked. I usually keep them in places I know to be safe. Thanks for the help.

Dr.Madness

Overlord of the Void
I finished Dawnguard Tuesday and the only thrall stands out to me is the Arch-Curate Vyrthur. He is one of the best thralls I've ever had. I had Lokil from Dimhollow Crypt but once I entered Castle Volkihar he just vanished. I am about to start Dragonborn. I was in Whiterun about to buy iron ore and ingots for Heljarchen Hall when Ghunzel (one of the thralls I lost from a respawn) appeared behind us in Carved Nordic Armor wielding a glass battle-axe and downed Iona in two strikes, and it took two separate dremora lords to finish him. I thralled him again and enchanted his axe with absorb stamina and his armor with resist magic and fortify health.

I just moved my family to Heljarchen Hall: Sissel, Sofie, My Thrall Marcurio (I roleplay, and he watches over the place and being a vampire I wanted to have a living thrall.), my Steward Lydia, and my Bard.

I want to move all my thralls there as well, but are the Hearthfire houses safe for thrall storage? My house isn't complete yet. I have everything outside crafted, inside I have the Main Hall and the Bedrooms crafted as well. If say I constructed the Trophy Room, would all my thralls vanish/respawn?

Due to my Roleplaying instead of Dremora and Atronachs, besides Dead Thrall should I use the Soul Cairn conjuration spells instead? I noticed they're very weak compared to their dremora and atronach counterparts.

The only person missing from my family is my housecarl, I'm thane but he won't show up at my house. I wish Death Hounds could be kept as a family pet though, if the Dawnguard Huskies can be kept as pets so should the Death Hounds.

Dr.Madness

Overlord of the Void
By the way, do thralls like Ulfric still level with you even after they've died? I want to level my Restoration (for necromage), my Enchanting, and my Smithing but I'm afraid I will lose access thralls such Vyrthur and Ulfric.

Danuvius

Hearthfire houses are safe for thrall storage, but I advise crafting everything first, as you can easily lose a corpse by crafting something that will automatically emplace itself over said corpse, such as barrels, the shrine in the basement, etc.. Also, thralls (to the best of my knowledge) scale with you until they reach their respective caps.

I finished Dawnguard Tuesday and the only thrall stands out to me is the Arch-Curate Vyrthur. He is one of the best thralls I've ever had. I had Lokil from Dimhollow Crypt but once I entered Castle Volkihar he just vanished. I am about to start Dragonborn. I was in Whiterun about to buy iron ore and ingots for Heljarchen Hall when Ghunzel (one of the thralls I lost from a respawn) appeared behind us in Carved Nordic Armor wielding a glass battle-axe and downed Iona in two strikes, and it took two separate dremora lords to finish him. I thralled him again and enchanted his axe with absorb stamina and his armor with resist magic and fortify health.

I just moved my family to Heljarchen Hall: Sissel, Sofie, My Thrall Marcurio (I roleplay, and he watches over the place and being a vampire I wanted to have a living thrall.), my Steward Lydia, and my Bard.

I want to move all my thralls there as well, but are the Hearthfire houses safe for thrall storage? My house isn't complete yet. I have everything outside crafted, inside I have the Main Hall and the Bedrooms crafted as well. If say I constructed the Trophy Room, would all my thralls vanish/respawn?

Due to my Roleplaying instead of Dremora and Atronachs, besides Dead Thrall should I use the Soul Cairn conjuration spells instead? I noticed they're very weak compared to their dremora and atronach counterparts.

The only person missing from my family is my housecarl, I'm thane but he won't show up at my house. I wish Death Hounds could be kept as a family pet though, if the Dawnguard Huskies can be kept as pets so should the Death Hounds.

While Boneman and Mistman seem lackluster (I don't know their exact stats), Wrathman is actually very good, even compared to the Dremora Lords. Wrathman has 700 HP (800 with Dark Souls), as apposed to Dremora Lord's 380. Wrathman also has a Dragonbone weapon and a two-handed skill of 79, not as good as Dremora Lords fire enchanted Daedric Sword with 100 two-handed, but it helps. Also, it seems as though Mistman, Boneman, and Wrathman might benefit from both Atromancy and Necromancy perks (I couldn't say for sure), because when I dual cast a Dremora Lord, it's there for roughly 4 minutes, while Bone man, Wrathman, and Mistman are there for around 6 and a half minutes.

Adam Warlock

After a long time in plotting my revenge and tracing their daily routine , I finally assassinated Mogrul and his bodyguard , Slitter , inside the Retching Netch. No bounty !

Mogrul is a fairly powerful level 30 but doesn`t wear armor so I have provided him both shield and flesh armor scrolls to use for additional protection in combat.
He`s ok as a thrall but still not as powerful as my lvl 25 bandit types who wear Scaled gear. Typical Orc zombie moan.

Slitter is like most other of the Dunmer npc added by Dragonborn dlc in that he doesn`t moan(usually silent out of combat except for occasional sniffing noises)/
Unfortunately for me , Slitter`s level is set radiantly and my version is a weaker one who dies quicky and can be raised by a Revenant spell. This type of thrall does NOT level up beyond their original status.
If you are lucky enough to get the lvl 25 variant , it`s equivalent to a Bandit Marauder with 2 pieces of light armor.

Both of these are anchored with permanent objects but likely won`t see much use except when I drop by to gloat over their corpses

Adam Warlock

By the way, do thralls like Ulfric still level with you even after they've died? I want to level my Restoration (for necromage), my Enchanting, and my Smithing but I'm afraid I will lose access thralls such Vyrthur and Ulfric.
yes , these will continue to level up

Dr.Madness

Overlord of the Void
I'm extremely disappointed that thralls can't follow you to Solstheim (in my case)(and vice versa) as some of the thralls I've discovered in Solstheim are far more powerful than their Skyrim counterparts. An example of this is that Reaver Lords seem to be more powerful than Bandit Chiefs, this seems to be that they are spellswords (from what I've noticed) with access to spells such Close Wounds and Fireball

I was just picking Talvas up to get him away from Neloth and potentially another mis-summon (I fear when he learns Conjure Dremora Lord, I won't be there to save him) and I was on my Argonian Sorcerer and a Revered Dragon swoops down in front of us from out of nowhere. As we battled this magnificent and terrifying beast I noticed Fireballs in a rapid pace were slamming into the side of the dragon. I turned towards the direction the magic was coming from and noticed a mage, I wandered towards her and apparently it was a Pyromancer and a Frost Mage of the same rank were duking it out. I rushed into battle (then I remembered they would not leave Solstheim as thralls) and I then noticed my health, I wasn't paying attention when I was fighting the dragon; it was about half and I attempted to flee, which failed...badly. Legendary difficulty can be very cruel at times....

The Thralls of note on Solstheim I've encountered seem to be:
1. Reaver Lords
2. Any Follower (which I test on my lower leveled necromancer)
3. The Nords of Thirsk Hall)

It isn't much, but I don't explore much, and only did the main questline and a few side quests. The only humanoids I've found (besides Reiklings) are Reavers and Townsfolk, I have not tried thralling a Reikling yet, can they be thralled?

Dr.Madness

Overlord of the Void
While Boneman and Mistman seem lackluster (I don't know their exact stats), Wrathman is actually very good, even compared to the Dremora Lords. Wrathman has 700 HP (800 with Dark Souls), as apposed to Dremora Lord's 380. Wrathman also has a Dragonbone weapon and a two-handed skill of 79, not as good as Dremora Lords fire enchanted Daedric Sword with 100 two-handed, but it helps. Also, it seems as though Mistman, Boneman, and Wrathman might benefit from both Atromancy and Necromancy perks (I couldn't say for sure), because when I dual cast a Dremora Lord, it's there for roughly 4 minutes, while Bone man, Wrathman, and Mistman are there for around 6 and a half minutes.

Here are the stats from what I've noticed:

Boneman:

Weapons: Ancient Nord Bow and Arrows

Health: 100-200

Mistman:

Spells: Frostbite, Ice Spike

Health: 180-300

Wrathman: (What you mentioned)

Notes: I heard Boneman uses a leveled Bow and Leveled Arrows, but all the characters that have the spell are between levels 20 and 75. They don't benefit from Atromancy
perks but possibly necromancy perks. They aren't atronachs nor do they say "Potent" (if I have the correct perk) but they are classified as undead so it is possible for necromancy perks to take into effect. I may be wrong and they may be classified as atronachs though, but not both.

Adam Warlock

I too have trouble getting thralls to travel to Solstheim but not always a problem going back to Skyrim.

Helps if you can clear your Content Cache(s) and then restart at last save before attempt at fast-travel.
Upon arriving at dock , fast-travel to another location and usually the thrall will be right there with you after that 2nd loading screen.

The randomly appearing characters like the 2 mages you encountered are the LEAST stable of all dead thralls(including randomers in Skyrim) and will often vanish , but those who regularly reappear at sites like Brodir Grove, the wrecked ship, or the caves will go back to Skyrim with you.
Reaver Lords and Marauders both make good thralls as do the higher ranked Cultists found at Miraak`s Temple.
I currently have a Master Cultist(shock mage) touring the mainland with me and he`s every bit as good as my follower , Marcurio. Even his moans are less irritating than Marc`s constant whining. lol

For conjuring , I use Wrathmen a lot when fighting bandits and Forsworn , but Dremora against vamps and mages.
Seekers and Ash Spawn don`t really impress.

Adam Warlock

At higher levels, the respawning Fort Amol is a great place to mine for powerful mage thralls.
Pyro/Cryo/Electromancers regularly appear and if you are lucky , you may find one of the male variants who doesn`t moan.
Sebastian Lort also will respawn and makes a good mage thrall to use even though he does moan .
Return him to his lair when done with him and he will be available later if you want him again.

Adam Warlock

Further experiments with anchoring reveal more exceptions to the permanency effect on non-respawning named NPC.
The bodies of Court Wizards Sybille Stentor and Wylandriah both disappeared after being anchored with permanent objects(Treasure Maps I & X) which maps were later recovered in the Halls of the Dead of Solitude and Riften.

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
Has any one had trouble with thralls picked up at Fellglow Keep?