• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Onyx

Hi all,

Thinking of creating an Argonian Thief/Assasin that focuses on stealth/conjuration and backstabbing with daggers. When engaged outside of sneak was thinking of duel wielding 2 1h weps (swords).

For those that have played this type of char, is duel wielding in Light Armor in direct combat viable? I have tried in heavy armor and it is ok (except the super tough enemies) but not sure how it would work in practice with light armor.

Tips/Suggestions welcome

Umphrey

I have been playing a thief/assassin but mainly using archery. Sometimes a dagger if I feel like it. I find when I get into close combat the light armor isn't terribly effective. Although my 1 hand skill isn't super high (45-50 or so) so maybe I am having the issue because it takes so long for me to drop the enemy. Not sure entirely. I hope this helps a little.

Onyx

That is good to know. That is about the skill level of my current char (H.Armor and duel wielding or magic and sword) and is usually ok but I think because my H.Armor is protecting me.

Issue with the Thief/Assasin build is all the perks I need/want. Here are what I was looking to focus on

Stealth -> Full points for sneaking, backstabbing etc
Illusion -> Mainly for illusion when snaking is not an option (or when combat starts)
1H-> Some points here for passive dmg increase and duel wield spec (for swords)
Light Armor -> Prection
Archery -> Ranged Damanger
Enchantment -> Better Gear enchants
Alchemy -> For posion and healing

As you can see it is a lot of things to focus on. Using the perk calculator at the moment, trying to go for bare minimum in 1H, enchantment, archery and alchemy but even so will need to be lvl 65 or so in order to get everything I want :S

Any suggestions? I think the primary things I want is Sneak, Illusion and the rest is just to make me more effectinve in combat

Mindfux

i'm just an outright assassin that uses bows and daggers and all light armor...i do x30 dmg with daggers, double the dmg when i sneak attack and x3 dmg with bows

i try to avoid upfront confrontations as much as possible, and one shot everything from behind

i suggest maxing out your sneak tree, you won't need any magic if you do...even when i do get caught, if i kneel, it causes people to lose track of me and search for me, where i sneak up behind them and stab them

Umphrey

I'd like to offer more advice but I am only on my first character/playthrough, and I haven't done much dancing with melee or magic. Only a bit of restoration. I definitely agree with maxing sneak. It's a lot of fun and obviously one of the most important skills for a thief/assassin.

Your best bet would be to focus on one combat style first, so you can be effective with it. Then once you've reached a comfortable spot, branch out into other combat areas. Say you pick archery, that doesn't mean you shouldn't use the 1 handers, I just recommend focusing your points into the archery before the 1 handers. Or vice versa. That's how I would/am doing it anyway :)

Good luck and cheers

Zedsded

yes, get a sneak shot in with a bow is my first action then conjure something a start throwing fire around on my mage/thief. fyi tho, illusion is very easy to level up. just use muffle a lot wherever you are.

Onyx

Thanks all for the advice!

Good point about the Sneak tree (think the talent is Shadow Warrior), was just hard to understand how effective it was but if ppl loose track then maybe Illusion is not so important.

Think I will pick Archery as my main Combat tree and only put 5 points into 1h (for the 100% dmg increase) and focus on Backstabs and fall back to ranged or duel wielding 1h weps when in open combat when unavoidable. Think I will hold off on the combat perks to start and see what playstyle works but I need range so think archery it is.

Thanks again!

Onyx

yes, get a sneak shot in with a bow is my first action then conjure something a start throwing fire around on my mage/thief. fyi tho, illusion is very easy to level up. just use muffle a lot wherever you are.
Thanks for that. Have you tried the Invisibility spell? Is it any good or does it only work if enemy is lvl x?

Mindfux

i've only dabbled in the one handed tree for the one handed weapons boost, and the dual wield boost..the only time i ever use magic is if i'm out of potions, and that's never, now..i haven't put any boosts into my magicka from the beginning of the game lol

the sneak tree is extremely overpowered if you max it out

i just really enjoy remaining undetected and whiping out entire rooms before anybody knows what hit them. the nightingale armor from the end of the thieves guild questline has a piece that gives you a 15% boost to your illusion, if that's the route you're going

Nightmare Shadow

Master of Shadow
i've only dabbled in the one handed tree for the one handed weapons boost, and the dual wield boost..the only time i ever use magic is if i'm out of potions, and that's never, now..i haven't put any boosts into my magicka from the beginning of the game lol

the sneak tree is extremely overpowered if you max it out

i just really enjoy remaining undetected and whiping out entire rooms before anybody knows what hit them. the nightingale armor from the end of the thieves guild questline has a piece that gives you a 15% boost to your illusion, if that's the route you're going

Quick question for you, how do you handle those pesky green (sorry lack of sleep and I'm away from my game) atriochs who fire bees at you, my Nord (no magic) and Thief Assassin have problems with them for some reason.

Zedsded

yeah, i've used the invisibility spell however becasue sneak and muffle is so good i just haven't needed it at all. i'm only lvl 23 and as i say, putting more points into magic that thief line atm, but i still made it through the museum last night without need for invisibility at all, and unlocked all the cases, made the rubbing and got out undetected. tbh, sneak works a bit too well probably...i got spotted once and hid next to a pillar and the guard walk right by...no invis or anything needed.

what i do want is paralyze and then the ability to enchant with it. i recall in both morrowing and oblivion i used paralyze a lot for when sneaky bow or dagger strikes go wrong...havent found it anywhere as yet though, other than a potion i picked up and cant replicate atm

Onyx

Quick question for you, how do you handle those pesky green (sorry lack of sleep and I'm away from my game) atriochs who fire bees at you, my Nord (no magic) and Thief Assassin have problems with them for some reason.

Do you mean the tree ladies -> Spriggans? I usually burn em with fire and then engage them in Melee, so far I have been able to take them on (except the matron who killed my lvl 18 with 220 health in 1 hit). Problem with them is that those bees make it hard to see and they also like to use invisibility - this is where a low level spell like flame comes in handy as it sets them on fire so you can see them.

Mindfux

if i am detected while i'm wandering around outside, i usually have Shadowmere with me (the undead/invincible horse from the dark brotherhood quests) and he takes all the hate..i usually barrage enemies with arrows and paralysis poisons and kill them before they have the chance to attack

but that Shadow Warrior perk makes it so i just crouch and they lose sight of me lol

Dragons are a different story though, i try to run those into areas with alot of guards or enemies to distract them

some enemies are just too high of a level for you to deal with (like the snow troll on the way to the greybeards) though, and just have to be run away from if that's the case

before i had all my stealth maxed out, i would just take potshots with my bow and run away, lather, rinse, repeat

Kasha

So i do mine with a dagger, heavy armor on chest and head. Light armor on feet and arms, so i can sneak and protection. illusion and destruction spells in the left which i can muffle or invisible also burn and shock people with shields. I also have my bow out every so often, but i rather sneak and cut throats.

brandon

im a dark elf w/ light armor a bow and i was using a steel warhammer for melee. hes not really a thief since im not big on stealing things yet more like a delta sniper badass. he one shots or staggers most people with a bow and i got away from the warhammers since i discovered i could use two swords. but my sneak is over 60 and my armor is at 80. the warhammer was doing 80 dam but my 1h weopons are sucking right now till i get it higher its only in the high 20s i think. i dont get into trouble till i let bed guys get behind me. then i die fairly quick.

Calcifer

Hmm. I just finished the Thiefs Guild and the Dark Brotherhood questlines on my assasin, and I don't think it would have been possible without Sneak/Archery haha ;) I think that would be the best combo, just max them both out.

mrdeath5493

Calcifier is right. Prioritizing Sneak and Archery trees are essential for a stealth class. I had problems with melee combat in my light armor for a while; so I carried around a heavy set with a shield and 1-hander. BUT Once you get the following, you will completely rape folks:

Archery
- Stagger
- Time Slow
- Move speed while shooting

Stealth
- 3x bow damage while sneaking
- Silent Roll
- No detection difference while moving

The Archery points basically make your bow usable as a weapon even out of stealth. You can back pedal and stagger-rape just about anything. I tried to use daggers, but I feel like they are just wasted points. Especially if you are gonna do thieves' guild quests; I feel pickpocketing/alchemy perks are better than making 1-handers good. You can just kill people instantly by poisoning their inventory with like 10 damage health poisons. When it comes to dragons I have got to the point I can just 1v1 tank a dragon with my bow and fire resist potions. I use absolutely no spells on this toon too.

Beodix

Thane of Winterhold & Windhelm, Harbinger
Do you guys know an easy way to build up your Archery skill? Or is it just through repetitive use? Also, how do you initiate contact with the Dark Brotherhood. Right now they are after me but I wanted to join their fold.

mrdeath5493

Do you guys know an easy way to build up your Archery skill? Or is it just through repetitive use? Also, how do you initiate contact with the Dark Brotherhood. Right now they are after me but I wanted to join their fold.

After you go to High Hrothgar (The Greybeards), you can sneak and just chain fire arrows at them. They won't retaliate if you are sneaking and you don't gain bounty.

Calcifer

Just keep using it as your main source of combat power and it levels quite fast mate as for the Dark Brotherhood question, go have a look on youtube, there is heaps of videos on it. Sorry just don't want any spoilers here, haha!