The Female, Male Demographic of Skyrim Players

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Gunnbjorn

Formerly known as Arillious
Dude, I'd STILL buy it and drink it. As long as it doesn't contain male growth hormone, I wouldn't think twice about it. :p

It's just stupid advertising. I'd pay to witness a Man honestly buy this drink JUST because the company says it's a Man's Drink, and not for Women.

You're stereotyping, alienating a huge consumer base (even though some women might not care), and it's just so... shallow and uncreative.

Docta Corvina

It's just stupid advertising. I'd pay to witness a Man honestly buy this drink JUST because the company says it's a Man's Drink, and not for Women.

You're stereotyping, alienating a huge consumer base (even though some women might not care), and it's just so... shallow and uncreative.

Yeah, I mean...I think one would be hard-pressed to see someone buy a soft drink because it's been marketed to their gender specifically. They know that people will buy and drink soda until the world implodes, so there's really no need to create a sub-niche drink to fill any sort of void.

It doesn't offend me, it just seems rather...pointless.

Gunnbjorn

Formerly known as Arillious
Yeah, I mean...I think one would be hard-pressed to see someone buy a soft drink because it's been marketed to their gender specifically. They know that people will buy and drink soda until the world implodes, so there's really no need to create a sub-niche drink to fill any sort of void.

It doesn't offend me, it just seems rather...pointless.

It's just uncreative and stupid, and it doesn't attract me because it doesn't look like they gave it much thought.

Give a classroom of 3rd graders and week and they'll come up with a better slogan.

Docta Corvina

It's just uncreative and stupid, and it doesn't attract me because it doesn't look like they gave it much thought.

Give a classroom of 3rd graders and week and they'll come up with a better slogan.

I can certainly agree with that.

Damn, this is making me want a Dr. Pepper now! An ice cold one! DAMNIT. :mad:

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
My biggest quibbles are with how well game characters are crafted, regardless of their gender, and the story they support. Playing a multitude of games with male protagonists has never really bothered me, personally, as long as I find myself capable of relating to them in some way (goals, personal quests, tragic flaws, etc). But I realize others feel differently.

This is honestly how I feel, I'm not sure why people are so quick to bring gender and race into things that I personally think don't really matter. To me, the gender or race of a game's protagonist hardly bothers me. I just see them as being people, like me, plain and simple regardless of what they look like.

Ivory

Let's Player
While I am male myself, it makes me happy to see the female gender growing in the video game community. I myself tend to make at least one female based character in games that give me a choice. Reason being I always name those characters after the daughter I didnt get to have back when I was turning 18. She'd be the biggest little gamer girl ever if she were alive today.

jarif

well you woman are certainly getting up in the world, i can see more female ''friendly'' games being put their. Besides some males like playing women... and i have no idea why other than role play

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
...Besides some males like playing women... and i have no idea why other than role play
One reason I hear often for games with third person view is basically because they prefer to look at a woman from third person perspective for hours at time or to parapharase "if I'm going to be stuck staring at someone's ass for hours at a time I would rather it be a hot chick than a big hairy dude."

Another reason is to whore for free stuff from other players. It's probably not as commonplace now since there are more actual females playing openly and don't want charity like that, but guys had been known to give stuff to girls simply because of their gender, and sometimes in the hopes that it would lead to pixel sex or more.

There was a hilarious article I read by one guy who detailed his journey through WoW as a "girl" to screw with male player heads in general. One of my favorite moments described was when he set up a guy by flirting with him all the time in PM and talking about how oppressive "her" Evangelist fire and brimstone father was. He setup an ingame date to cybersex with the other player. When the other player saw the the female chaacter login at the appropriate time he sent "her" a few explicit PMs to start things off at which point the author switched roles and pretended to be the fictitious girl's father who had logged in on her character to see what she did in the game. Suffice to say his response was in allcaps filled with expletives and threats of damnation and hellfire and locking his daughter in a closet until she turned 18 that freaked the poor guy out. :D

Mr Forz

I'm helping. Mostly.
Some prefer males, other prefer females, and a few prefer argonian vampires.

Though I do admit that the sight of Skyrim Nexus' front page mods is rather... disconcerting. But well, many want to RP, some want to have random fun, others have some... darker inspirations. Nobody can really judge the way to play the game, on a game based around mods which gets to potentially calibrate the game to your exact preferences.

A motivation that gets many people to play females would also be equipment based. There are alot of animation and armor mods making them fancier, classier, more stylish, yet more or less adapted to Skyrim's environment. I'm completly green (no pun intended with my character) at the fact that most of these fancy things can barely be applicated to a general crowd.

Zahn

Matron of Twilight
Because everyone secretly wants to be a hot chick. :D

ROFL! You almost made me spew my Dr. Pepper (the REAL Dr. Pepper with REAL sugar) all over the keyboard! :p

To be sure, I do not look ONLY for games that are typically refered to as "female friendly". Ultimately, if the game fails to get my interest based on story, graphics and depth, it isn't worth my time anyway. Being female friendly is just a welcome bonus in my opinion, and will result in my being "drawn" into the story further.

With budgets as tight as they are for consumers, (and indeed mine is - I have two teenage gamers to also buy for), I have to make tough choices on games I purchase for myself. Truthfully, a game must have 90% of the elements I look for. Skyrim fit that bill VERY well.

Also, I don't have a "problem" playing a male character. It is just nice if I have an option. As far as on line gaming... I have been known to pretend to be a male player who is playing a female character simply to avoid the bother of what usually goes on in the culture.

If they think I am a guy, they don't bother me. I don't want to be hit on, I don't want to be hassled, I don't want to be treated differently or given anything... I just wanna play the game.

Giltmastermind

I believe that having women in a community is a good thing. Without a diverse community in gaming the industry itself will not grow and mature as it needs to.

jarif

sometimes it can be annoying more gender content like one sex whines of having more, for example
a guy (it can be vice versa) makes a super amazing HD armor mod than one side the community whines that they need to add a ''female'' version, i would be annoyed if i was asked that because it was originally intended for males and you would have to go for extra work. Stuff like that can be annoying.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
mostly nexus is filled with cocks and female content..... like schlong of skyrim
The majority of mods at Nexus are not adult oriented. Only a small percentage of the mods are adult oriented. Most of those are what I call cheesecake armors for female characters and are what I would categorize as PG/R rated rather than X-rated content. Because some of them have prominence due to their popularity it can create a false perception that the overall content is adult oriented but if you actually go through the categories to observe the actual mods in them, of the 20,000 plus files there, only a few hundred are adult oriented.

Nor are most female oriented. While there is probably more female only armor than male only armor it's usually because it's either (A) cheesecake armor which I'm assuming most players wouldn't want to put on their male characters or it's (B) vanilla armor or armor mods which already exist for males made to fit the popular female body mods like CBBE and UNP.