The Female, Male Demographic of Skyrim Players

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
I'm more of a fan of Mother or Wish you were here :cool: This is still a good song.
HOW I WISH, HOW I WISH YOU WERE HERE, WE'RE JUST TWO LOST SOULS SWIMMING IN A FISHBOWL, YEAR AFTER YEAR!!

OMG I'm sorry, I just had a sudden urge to start singing the wonderfully bizarre lyrics to that awesome song. You may now resume your regularly scheduled programming. :D

I need to go back to bed....

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
HOW I WISH, HOW I WISH YOU WERE HERE, WE'RE JUST TWO LOST SOULS SWIMMING IN A FISHBOWL, YEAR AFTER YEAR!!

OMG I'm sorry, I just had a sudden urge to start singing the wonderfully bizarre lyrics to that awesome song. You may now resume your regularly scheduled programming. :D

I need to go back to bed....

Shhh, sleep little imp.

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
Shhh, sleep little imp.
Nah, I woke up to find that all classes were cancelled today, I think imma make me a nice breakfast, then go back to bed. :)

I would make a generalisation and say that gamer girls make awesome bacon....but I'm really not much of a gamer girl. But I do make awesome bacon. OMG wow y'all, okay, breakfast.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Nah, I woke up to find that all classes were cancelled today, I think imma make me a nice breakfast, then go back to bed. :)

I would make a generalisation and say that gamer girls make awesome bacon....but I'm really not much of a gamer girl. But I do make awesome bacon. OMG wow y'all, okay, breakfast.

Where's your nice man to make you breakfast in bed. Shame on him.

Rastaban

In the short time i've been on these forums. I have noticed the larger then usual amount of female players on these forums is way higher then most any other game or forum i've been a part of.

I have a question for you lady's, why are you interested in Skyrim so much? I have ideas myself but I want to hear it from you guys. Also, is Skyrim really your main interest in gaming? Or do you like shooters and other such games as well?

I must say, im glad to see more lady's on this forum! Good to know that women like games like I do :p.

I am a female player and I've played 500 hours of Skyrim since I discovered it in March. Why? Because it is one of the very few games out there that is medieval, action, high-quality and ::drumroll:: female-friendly.

Honestly, I'm tired of so many games where I pay a significant amount to play them and then I get this pervasive feeling throughout play that the game developers either didn't remember I exist or didn't want me to exist. Most games seem to cater to men, feature a male protagonist, you have to play a male and nothing else and so on. The Witcher 2, Chivalry, Gunslinger... all games I played recently where I feel out of place as a female player. And Grid 2.. just bought that for $60 and they only provide a list of male race car driver names.

So yeah, Skyrim rocks. It's nice to feel good when I play.

I'm a female, and not only do I enjoy Skyrim, but I also enjoy games like Halo, Far Cry 3, Assasin's Creed, Fallout, Fable and whatnot. I grew up with a SNES, Mario and Donkey Kong.

Benthos

Proud Mer
My older sister doesn't bother playing Skyrim but she has a couple of friends who helped with the artwork behind the game, my younger sister (23 years old) is a Skyrim player as well but she plays on PC while I play on PS3. She only has one character and that's a Bosmer/Wood Elf, she said something about getting a Khajiit next but I have yet to see her start it up.

jarif

I am a female player and I've played 500 hours of Skyrim since I discovered it in March. Why? Because it is one of the very few games out there that is medieval, action, high-quality and ::drumroll:: female-friendly.

Honestly, I'm tired of so many games where I pay a significant amount to play them and then I get this pervasive feeling throughout play that the game developers either didn't remember I exist or didn't want me to exist. Most games seem to cater to men, feature a male protagonist, you have to play a male and nothing else and so on. The Witcher 2, Chivalry, Gunslinger... all games I played recently where I feel out of place as a female player. And Grid 2.. just bought that for $60 and they only provide a list of male race car driver names.

So yeah, Skyrim rocks. It's nice to feel good when I play.

well i dont really blame them, games are mostly targeted at males for a lot of reasons

Zahn

Matron of Twilight
well i dont really blame them, games are mostly targeted at males for a lot of reasons

I have heard this kind of comment before. I get tired of it because the comment is tired. Overused and a blanket excuse for the neglect of an entire market.

I have YET to have someone assert that these elusive "reasons" are valid. Nor have they listed these "reasons".

xsneakyxsimx

I have heard this kind of comment before. I get tired of it because the comment is tired. Overused and a blanket excuse for the neglect of an entire market.

I have YET to have someone assert that these elusive "reasons" are valid. Nor have they listed these "reasons".

I think (and this is purely my opinion, no refection on it being true or not) that it's the fact that, while there are some female game developers out there, it's still a mostly male industry, and while their intentions are good, they don't really think outside the thought of "What would gamers like me want in this game?" Again, I'm most likely wrong...

Gunnbjorn

Formerly known as Arillious
Because lack of innovative thought and alienating a huge consumer base is a great business model.

/sarcasm off

I think you'd enjoy this.

Talk about consumer alienation!

Specifically saying a drink is not for women, who make up half of the worlds population, is REALLY alienating a huge consumer base. And what if the wife/girlfriend/mother of the family does the grocery shopping?

Zahn

Matron of Twilight
In the short time i've been on these forums. I have noticed the larger then usual amount of female players on these forums is way higher then most any other game or forum i've been a part of.

I have a question for you lady's, why are you interested in Skyrim so much? I have ideas myself but I want to hear it from you guys. Also, is Skyrim really your main interest in gaming? Or do you like shooters and other such games as well?

I must say, im glad to see more lady's on this forum! Good to know that women like games like I do :p.

As to the OP...

Personally, I like Skyrim as much as I do because it fits in with everything else that I "get into" for gaming. In addition, it is the first game to actually suck me into its world at almost a visceral level (sometimes). The scenery is breathtaking, and I have yet to grow bored with the different things to do within the game.

Skyrim does not treat me as if I have no options, it does not "second class" me as a female, and it gives me freedom.

I am a gamer from the "way back" machine. LOL I started playing RPG's wayyyyyyyyy back in the late 70's. I have been a "gamer" (video) from the earliest days it was even viable. (even played the original donkey kong in the arcades) I am not a part of the "gamer" culture for a couple of reasons and one of them is due to the heavy anti female component and the personal trash talk.

Other games I play are Assassins Creed, many horror titles, and simulation games. Unfortunately my foray into first person games resulted in heavy bouts of nausea and games I would really love to participate in, I cannot. *Jealous of those who can*

This forum is the best gaming forum I have ever been a part of without a doubt! Thanks guys for making this a female friendly forum!

Gunnbjorn

Formerly known as Arillious
I think (and this is purely my opinion, no refection on it being true or not) that it's the fact that, while there are some female game developers out there, it's still a mostly male industry, and while their intentions are good, they don't really think outside the thought of "What would gamers like me want in this game?" Again, I'm most likely wrong...

A Gamer like Me would most certainly want the game to be woman-friendly, it gives us another thing in common if they enjoy playing. ;)

Docta Corvina

I still find it very interesting that so many women have had issues in playing games online, being part of gamer culture, etc. I guess I've just been lucky, as I've never had any issues playing online - though I admit I haven't done it as much as some. But the times I have were always great fun. I've never been attacked on the basis of my gender. I've never felt pushed out of or marginalized in anything. Though it could come down to the specifics of my own experience: it is true that all of my life the overwhelming majority of my friends have been and are male. And ones who play video games fairly often and religiously - definitely belonging to the so-called gamer culture. So maybe that's a factor in some way. I have no real idea. :p

My biggest quibbles are with how well game characters are crafted, regardless of their gender, and the story they support. Playing a multitude of games with male protagonists has never really bothered me, personally, as long as I find myself capable of relating to them in some way (goals, personal quests, tragic flaws, etc). But I realize others feel differently.

Docta Corvina

I think you'd enjoy this.

Talk about consumer alienation!

Specifically saying a drink is not for women, who make up half of the worlds population, is REALLY alienating a huge consumer base. And what if the wife/girlfriend/mother of the family does the grocery shopping?

Dude, I'd STILL buy it and drink it. As long as it doesn't contain male growth hormone, I wouldn't think twice about it. :p