The Curiosities and Sciences of Skyrim. (V1.0)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
This thread is for more of the deep thinkers, who immerse themselves into the game, I posted this on the flood but I believe here is more appropriate

WARNING: LONG THREAD!!

No this isn't a behind the scenes thread, I have decided to bring my curious mind to this and ponder..what science is going behind the elder scrolls universe?

Now I'm not denying the existence of magic within the universe, although what science makes magic happen could be a question.

The Dwemer Artifacts especially made me think this, how could the machines they created work? what exactly is "Dwarven Metal"? and how could their machines and devices still function near perfectly?

So in this thread, I and the other curious minds of the flood ponder, what is it that is going on in the elder scrolls universe.

I have some guesses.

Now due to the existence of magic and such, the scientific principles of Nirn may have differences than those of Earth. so keep this in mind.

First, the Dwemer artifacts. I imagine the dwemer not only created steam power, but also fiddled around with electricity (note the lights in Dwemer ruins) and hydraulics/pneumatics. This may be at least part of what powers dwemer Machines.

Now when getting into things like the Centurions, it gets more complex. My guess is Dwemer mages modified soul gems to function as a processor would on a computer. controlling the actions of, in this case, the Dynamo core (which could act as an electric battery) which in turn fires the internal boilers, which in turn move the hydraulic parts. The Soul Gem controlling the Centurion's actions.

Or alternatively, the Soul gem contains the soul of a Dead Dwemer, as one Floodian suggested, controlling the construct. I suppose the soul could be one of a warrior who died in battle.

Alright Now time for my next little bit of curiosity, the Daedra, specifically their armor and weapons.

As we all know Daedric items have the same recipe as ebony items except requiring a single daedra heart per piece. this got me thinking.

What I think is the physical and magical properties of the hearts of daedra. the hearts may have a property which, when placed in a forge with ebony just at the right time, causes a chemical reaction that makes the piece much stronger than it would have been without it.

This will be updated often so be prepared!

I HEAVILY encourage you guys think of new questions and new suggestions, HEAVILY

alright, your go

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Obviously there is something intrinsic to soul gems that makes them both permanent and deplete-able, for lack of a better way to put it. You need a gem to enchant an item, and while charges diminish, the base enchantment remains. So something in the enchantment process causes the soul gem energy to be applied seemingly forever. But the use of the enchantment in those 'does X fire damage' sorts of things diminishes the soul gem energy. Now, there's the passive stuff that stays forever. It would seem to me that the Dwemer somehow figured out how to "enchant" the cores in the various constructs and that "sustain life" is one of those permanent things.

The Daedra hearts could be somewhat similar in that the 'sustain' part is intrinsic to them due to their nature. Somehow the fire at a forge is the release mechanism (which is suitable because a daedra heart, as far as I've seen, is squishy and organic as opposed to the crystalline soul gem).

Elvus

I don't get how the Dwemer can't come back. They were the most intelligent race in the elder scrolls story and then they just leave forever without ever coming back. Unless they're all dead from whatever disaster involving the heart of...I forgot his name but you know what I'm talking about, they should be able to come back to Tamriel again. And why just the Dwarves,why not other races too? I hope a DLC in the future will let us play as a Dwemer,they would win over a lot of people that way.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Well, there could be any number of things that made them disappear. Since this is a magical world, just about anything goes. Biologically, there has to be something that makes them distinct and if someone decided to make something that homed in on that, off they go. The lack of corpses means that either the falmer are extremely thorough necrophages or some magical thing blipped them somewhere else. I suppose they could have chosen the means of their own exodus as well. Any of the lore I'm aware of seems to speak of their disappearance rather than their slaughter.

Elvus

I can't remember if there were dwarven runes in Oblivion or not,but I believe the "last dwarf" was around in Morrowind but he had some disease so he's more than likely not coming back in Skyrim. That guy in the mages college managed to get himself to disappear easily by doing something or another with keening,maybe in a DLC (god I hope we get a dwemer DLC,did I mention that before?:p)we'll get to visit the dwarves wherever they went,now that would be AWESOME.

I can't remember if there were dwarven runes in Oblivion or not,but I believe the "last dwarf" was around in Morrowind but he had some disease so he's more than likely not coming back in Skyrim. That guy in the mages college managed to get himself to disappear easily by doing something or another with keening,maybe in a DLC (god I hope we get a dwemer DLC,did I mention that before?:p) that we get to visit the dwarves wherever they went,now that would be AWESOME.
I read about the dwarves in the lore books i found in skyrim. It speaks of a battle and i forget the names. Ill be sure to check my library in my house and get back to you. Basically these two 'dwarven' forces battle and try to stop the other side from activating this item. They interrupt the ritual (which i believe is ment to separate dwemer from daedric gods or give them some sort of power) and this angers the daedra or some ethereal force. They in turn are banished from the realm of cyrodil plus skyrim, resulting in their disappearance. The one dwarf in morrowind survived due to him being outside of the 'area of effect'

Elvus

Thats interesting,I didn't know that Senatour,I thought they accidentally killed/banished themselves,so they aren't necessarily dead,just banished. I can summon Daedra from other realms all the time...so that doesn't rule out a return of the Dwemer at all :). I never bother to read books in game unless I hear about them on the internet somewhere,but this one I'll look for,it sounds awesome. Thanks for the info.

Thats interesting,I didn't know that Senatour,I thought they accidentally killed/banished themselves,so they aren't necessarily dead,just banished. I can summon Daedra from other realms all the time...so that doesn't rule out a return of the Dwemer at all :). I never bother to read books in game unless I hear about them on the internet somewhere,but this one I'll look for,it sounds awesome. Thanks for the info.
Im checking my library in my house now
p.s i literally collect every book i see so i have almost every book in skyrim :p may take a while

Elvus i have found the book that has it all, for the most part! I can recite it here if you like but the name of the book is the Battle of Red Mountain. It talks about the dwemer disapearing. This extract describes it best
"With Dumac fallen, and threatend by Dagoth Ur and others, Kagrenac turned his tools upon the heart, and Nerevar said he saw Kagrenac and all his Dwemer companions at once disappear from the world. In that instant, Dwemer everywhere disappeared without a trace. The heart's full name is the heart of lorkhan. The dwemer wanted to make their own god but Azura commanded the chimer/dunmer to attack (so elves) to stop them. Basically the dwemer, after they had lost defending the heart attacked the heart with their tools which activated an event that banished them all to some unknown place. Hope this helps :) (maybe some rep for my troubles ;) )

Elvus

Awesome! Thanks a lot man. I knew there had to be a tie in with the falmer/dwemer thing. So the dwarves fiddled with the heart in an effort to gain power,thus making themselves go *poof* into some other realm. So as of now this is all there is to know about the dwarven mystery. Thanks! :D:)

Awesome! Thanks a lot man. I knew there had to be a tie in with the falmer/dwemer thing. So the dwarves fiddled with the heart in an effort to gain power,thus making themselves go *poof* into some other realm. So as of now this is all there is to know about the dwarven mystery. Thanks! :D:)
Pretty much :) as to whether they can come back that is the question. Because they didn't fiddle with the heart from my reading, they knew exactly what they where doing with it. This is why Azura sent her dark elfs to attack as she perceived the dwarves as a real threat (and when do daedra lords do anything without good reason, especially Azura) Thus i think perhaps the Dwemer may not wish to return and that the new realm they got sent to was one they wanted to go to. Hence they could either be 'banished with the chance to return' or gone by their own will as it appears the dwarves used the heart in a last ditch effort to do something they knew would happen!

Rathalos_lord_of_the_sky

-Bnahabra King-
I'm sorry for the break in topic but I being ADD cannot focus research on one topic I'm particularly interested in Falmer and Giants. Sub-classes of society they live on their own and the falmer seem pretty well off. They have some impressive wepons... for cave dwellers. Giants seem to be in a Nomadic stage if allowed i believe in 200-400 more years they might have structured "society" but will still be another 1000 years from human structure. Alos Orcs interest me as well Enlarged lower canine teeth,typically larger body structure, Green/Brown color. Along with kah-jeets they are the most peculary races in TES where are they from? Why are they so diffrent? argonians have simalur upbringing as ME Krogans Aqaudic harsh enviroment, Rough life(wars/treatment) but Argonians are more civalized less advanced too.

Happ Hunting freinds.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
ADD is welcome here Rathlos ;) The multitaskers among us are sure to be able to choose which parts of your entries to reply to.

I'm wondering where they hide the female giants.

I'm sorry for the break in topic but I being ADD cannot focus research on one topic I'm particularly interested in Falmer and Giants. Sub-classes of society they live on their own and the falmer seem pretty well off. They have some impressive wepons... for cave dwellers. Giants seem to be in a Nomadic stage if allowed i believe in 200-400 more years they might have structured "society" but will still be another 1000 years from human structure. Alos Orcs interest me as well Enlarged lower canine teeth,typically larger body structure, Green/Brown color. Along with kah-jeets they are the most peculary races in TES where are they from? Why are they so diffrent? argonians have simalur upbringing as ME Krogans Aqaudic harsh enviroment, Rough life(wars/treatment) but Argonians are more civalized less advanced too.

Happ Hunting freinds.
Falmer where not always cave dwellers. They were snow elves but got defeated by the nords. This forced them to sign a pact with the dwemer (who are actually elves) and they lived with the dwemer in their underground keeps for some time. However the dwemer poisoned the snow elves turning them blind and warping their minds. They then enslaved the snow elves and this caused tentions. Many years later the falmer (snow elves) revolted which resulted in the falmer now occupying the caves of the dwemer (as the dwemer vanished. The eyes of the falmer which u find in the game are a testament to this as it shows the likeness of a snow elf. Also many lore books detail the falmer ways. With giants, i think they are ment to be a race past its time, ancient with knowledge but they have accepted their place in society and only wish to live nomadic peaceful lives (similiar to gray beards). The orcs come from a land discovered by the elves when trying to find their original land before fleeing to tamriel. The book is the children of niben, or something like that, ill check soon :p. So yeah they are green and have canine teeth due to them coming from a different continent. Hope i answered some things :p

Along with the creator of the post, im curious as well to what actually Dwarf metal is. To my knowledge there is no dwarf 'ore' and so i think its an alloy created by the dwarfs out of metal found in their caves. Since this could really be anything, i propose perhaps moonstone, i recently found an ore vein in one of the dwemer ruins( as it is an elven ore and dwemer are cave-dwelling elves) and corundum, as the mix of colours would produce the shiny orange colour of dwarf metal. Also since the only way to make it is to melt down dwarf metal objects, it seems the knowledge of producing this alloy from its original ingredients has been lost. Your thoughts on this plz :)

ADD is welcome here Rathlos ;) The multitaskers among us are sure to be able to choose which parts of your entries to reply to.

I'm wondering where they hide the female giants.
Its my opinion that the race of giants is dying out. Perhaps this is a curse from a deadra lord similar to the cursed tribe quest where that orc tribe was cursed with sickness and bad luck. Because from my experience, the homes of giants are tiny and few giants live in each one. Also i found a lone giant in the huge underground dwarf cave (i forget its name) so i believe they are doomed to roam around until they die. (Clearly they have a life span longer than elves) Maybe this would explain why there are no giant females as some entity doesn't wish the giants to reproduce but to die out?

Elvus

Thats an interesting point guys,there isn't much lore at all regarding giants,at least that I know of.

xanuben

The giants seem to be rather primitive and not the type of "wise ancient folk".
How about...

(this is my unofficial lore)
The giants were once the servants of the dragons. Their size and primitive nature made them perfect peasants to take care of the everyday needs of the dragons. This includes building dragon caves and mounds, breeding mammoths (basic food source for dragons). Due to their size and strength, giants were also pretty effective in protecting the dragons from the everyday "heroes", wandering around and trying to seek golry.
Once the human armies defeated the dragons, giants society collapsed as well. Being without directions and leaders, they simply couldn't take care of themselves, they had had no taste of freedom of such. Since then, they live separately, still taking care of their pets - mammoths. They are not generally hostile towards anything, unless being provoked or annoyed. However, they keep an eye out for those pesky mammoth tusk hunters, and behold the Gods when they catch one!

BabyMickers

Totally sweet
I don't get how the Dwemer can't come back. They were the most intelligent race in the elder scrolls story and then they just leave forever without ever coming back. Unless they're all dead from whatever disaster involving the heart of...I forgot his name but you know what I'm talking about, they should be able to come back to Tamriel again. And why just the Dwarves,why not other races too? I hope a DLC in the future will let us play as a Dwemer,they would win over a lot of people that way.
With a little research you'd know the answer to this question. But aparently your google page is bugged.
The Dwemer tried to build a machine that would unify their race and revert them to pure energy (basicly) like they were before creation (however that happend). However instead it sucked every Dwemer in the world into the void effectively erasing their existance.
There's a lot more to it than that but there you go. Better start exercising that search button finger.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts