The Curiosities and Sciences of Skyrim. (V1.0)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
With a little research you'd know the answer to this question. But aparently your google page is bugged.
The Dwemer tried to build a machine that would unify their race and revert them to pure energy (basicly) like they were before creation (however that happend). However instead it sucked every Dwemer in the world into the void effectively erasing their existance.
There's a lot more to it than that but there you go. Better start exercising that search button finger.
From reading an actual in game lore book (so legitimate information) it says they attacked the heart as a last ditch chance to save themselves from the attacking elves. This resulted in them vanishing (which may mean destroying them) It also specifically says in the book that the heart (which is the device you speak of was intended to create a new God for the Dwemer as they didn't believe in Daedric gods. I think your research may be a little flawed with 'small lies' BabyMickers

Black-Tongue

Prey approaches...
Topic for discussion: Daedric power.

As we all well know, daedric princes are immortal entities that manifest themselves in the mortal world.

I think it would be interesting to explore the limitations of their power.

So here are just a few thought provokers:

1. Why are daedra drawn to mortals?
2. What rules govern their actions?
3. How to become a daedric lord?

/discuss. I have a lot of input on this topic, but I'm going to hold back until we get a discussion going.

F
Topic for discussion: Daedric power.

As we all well know, daedric princes are immortal entities that manifest themselves in the mortal world.

I think it would be interesting to explore the limitations of their power.

So here are just a few thought provokers:

1. Why are daedra drawn to mortals?
2. What rules govern their actions?
3. How to become a daedric lord?

/discuss. I have a lot of input on this topic, but I'm going to hold back until we get a discussion going.
From lore i have read, the dwemer had the ability to create gods. Hence that could entertain the idea that some ancient race created the daedric princes (as they are effectively gods) with the intention of using them for some purpose. For example the orcs have their daedric prince who looks after them. This go's onto what governs daedric prince's actions. I think all Daedric princes have allegiances to certain factions due to their own personalities. This can be seen such as Namira looking after those who practice debauchery and with Malacath who looks after the orc race to an extent. Another notion could be that their is a higher entity ruling over the daedric princes that governs how everything works, perhaps the daedric princes being like squabbling siblings. The daedric prince of order could be seen as this higher entities way of controlling the other daedric princes when they get out of hand.

Black-Tongue

Prey approaches...
The princes definitely have varying levels of "Power" In skyrim alone, a few examples come to mind.
  1. Peryite- He is fairly well known as the weakest prince, this is commonly displayed on loading screens
  2. Clavicus vile- He openly admits during his quest to being only slightly more powerful than the player character, due to his weakened state.
  3. Molag Bal v. Boethia- The two are bitter rivals, at a bit of a stalemate with one another.
Now, whether there is an actual hierarchy in place is questionable. However, one thing remains absolutely certain in my mind. Those who seem most powerful, have the most followers. ie. Azura, Nocturnal, Mehrunes Dagon, Sheogorath.

My theory is that while they may be god-like, they are not truly divine and do not have divine power. I know, it's pretty much a given. But I look at it this way: They do not have the ability to freely affect the mortal world. They are required to work through, more or less, the free will of mortals. This does not mean that they can not trick mortals into doing their bidding, or scare them into submission, or bribe them with artifacts. It means that they are very limited unless they can manifest themselves in a shrine or some sort of vessel. Shrines are obvious, but a vessel could be an artifact or even a person. Nocturnal operates in this way with the thieves guild. One HUGE example is Sheogorath in oblivion. He puts a door in niben bay and explains how it does not violate the pact with mundus. People only enter the door if they choose to.

Obviously this could be governed by a set of completely incomprehensible rules. It's just something interesting to think about. People often say the daedra are evil; Yet that is not the case. They represent an opportunity, good or bad. Daedra do not have morality. They serve only specific, yet often unknown, purposes.

In other words, deadra provide the matches, nirn is the gasoline, and mortals light the fire.

The princes definitely have varying levels of "Power" In skyrim alone, a few examples come to mind.
  1. Peryite- He is fairly well known as the weakest prince, this is commonly displayed on loading screens
  2. Clavicus vile- He openly admits during his quest to being only slightly more powerful than the player character, due to his weakened state.
  3. Molag Bal v. Boethia- The two are bitter rivals, at a bit of a stalemate with one another.
Now, whether there is an actual hierarchy in place is questionable. However, one thing remains absolutely certain in my mind. Those who seem most powerful, have the most followers. ie. Azura, Nocturnal, Mehrunes Dagon, Sheogorath.

My theory is that while they may be god-like, they are not truly divine and do not have divine power. I know, it's pretty much a given. But I look at it this way: They do not have the ability to freely affect the mortal world. They are required to work through, more or less, the free will of mortals. This does not mean that they can not trick mortals into doing their bidding, or scare them into submission, or bribe them with artifacts. It means that they are very limited unless they can manifest themselves in a shrine or some sort of vessel. Shrines are obvious, but a vessel could be an artifact or even a person. Nocturnal operates in this way with the thieves guild. One HUGE example is Sheogorath in oblivion. He puts a door in niben bay and explains how it does not violate the pact with mundus. People only enter the door if they choose to.

Obviously this could be governed by a set of completely incomprehensible rules. It's just something interesting to think about. People often say the daedra are evil; Yet that is not the case. They represent an opportunity, good or bad. Daedra do not have morality. They serve only specific, yet often unknown, purposes.

In other words, deadra provide the matches, nirn is the gasoline, and mortals light the fire.

In my opinion the daedric princes definetely have a hierarchy. A good example of this is the markarth quest where Molag bal wishes you to trap a follower of Boethiah in his shrine. This illustrates how the daedric princes squabble with each other and want to try and outdo their 'fellows'. Thus i believe there is some hierarchy as they all want to reach some sort of power difference over the other lords. Hence i conclude that some greater force governs over them and assigns power based on how well the daedric prince pleases them (an unknown criteria). Thats how i see it at least but in terms of how they cant physically affect mortals is perhaps the idea of 'playthings'. The daedric princes are the playthings of a higher entity while the humans are the playthings of mortals. Just as the higher entity cant physically interfere commonly with the daedric princes, it can shape their desires much like the relationship between daedric princes and mortals. Also daedric princes may not be able to physically affect mortal but i believe they rely much more on trickery than free will. Another facet to entertain is the aedra who i consider a counter balance to the daedric princes. This reinforces my opinion that their is both a higher entity at work and a hierarchy. (sorry for the weird coloured text)

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
It seems to me that the Daedric princes are locked into some sort of archetype and they cannot deviate from it. If you took some higher being and fractured it so that it could experience things with a singular worldview, you'd get something like the Daedric princes.

Rathalos_lord_of_the_sky

-Bnahabra King-
Ah. Daedric princes/princesses have always fasinated me. Tho I havent studied much and I doubt I'll spell the names right but here it goes.

Sheograth, I believe, once said daedric princes change "Gatekeepers die and daedric princes change~ i think been awhile since oblivion but that statement shows that they are not gods at all. Oh and this higher etnity is what i believe to be Sithis. but wait if i remeber right Sithis hates daedra. Hmm this is not my strong suit hope i help doubt i did.

Happy hunting

Panthera

Don Gato
Falmer where not always cave dwellers. They were snow elves but got defeated by the nords. This forced them to sign a pact with the dwemer (who are actually elves) and they lived with the dwemer in their underground keeps for some time. However the dwemer poisoned the snow elves turning them blind and warping their minds. They then enslaved the snow elves and this caused tentions. Many years later the falmer (snow elves) revolted which resulted in the falmer now occupying the caves of the dwemer (as the dwemer vanished. The eyes of the falmer which u find in the game are a testament to this as it shows the likeness of a snow elf. Also many lore books detail the falmer ways. With giants, i think they are ment to be a race past its time, ancient with knowledge but they have accepted their place in society and only wish to live nomadic peaceful lives (similiar to gray beards). The orcs come from a land discovered by the elves when trying to find their original land before fleeing to tamriel. The book is the children of niben, or something like that, ill check soon :p. So yeah they are green and have canine teeth due to them coming from a different continent. Hope i answered some things :p

That is why Falmers are hostile toward Humans and Elves. :)

Panthera

Don Gato
Or alternatively, the Soul gem contains the soul of a Dead Dwemer, as one Floodian suggested, controlling the construct. I suppose the soul could be one of a warrior who died in battle.

I HEAVILY encourage you guys think of new questions and new suggestions, HEAVILY

I doubt that would be the case, becouse than you would find black soul gem inside of machines. Becouse you need black soul gem to capture that kind of a soul.

If I rember corect from one quest I readed jurnal where writter came to conclusion that soul gems are not powering machines. But I'm not so sure about that so don't take me for my word.

I doubt that would be the case, becouse than you would find black soul gem inside of machines.

If I rember corect from one quest I readed jurnal where writter came to conclusion that soul gems are not powering machines. But I'm not so sure about that so don't take me for my word.
I think the soul gems act as the Artificial intelligence in the machines. Thats why bigger machines need bigger soul gems. Also the dynamo core acts as the processor i believe. Finally i think they are powered by mini-steam boilers, which ties in with the centurions ability to shoot steam at you! (do you think that's plausibe?)

Panthera

Don Gato
exactly! though the falmer actually hate everything due to them arguably being 'insane'

I learnd that form a quest. Also I readed jurnals and books while douing the quests. xD

Panthera

Don Gato
I think the soul gems act as the Artificial intelligence in the machines. Thats why bigger machines need bigger soul gems. Also the dynamo core acts as the processor i believe. Finally i think they are powered by mini-steam boilers, which ties in with the centurions ability to shoot steam at you! (do you think that's plausibe?)

I think that could be possible.