So.. Do we think there will be another TES?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
I have no clue what you mean, what do you mean skyrim has more provinces? There were no defined zones in Oblivion, just cities. Skyrim has holds, so they put in lines to show the zone limits.

In terms of game size, Cyrodil on the map is about the same as Skyrim, but Skyrim feels much bigger and more open. Oblivion has tons of dungeons that were exact copies, layout wise. I know Skyrim does as well but they added tons of dungeons/caves/mines so it feels more spread out and offers variety.

You're not arguing why they can't do it anymore.

maybe instead of saying Skryim there I should have said "The Elder Scrolls V.

The Elder Scrolls V is Only One Province, as well as the Other Elderscrolls Games

But the Elder Scrolls V is still bigger and more vast than the other games.

And I actually don't think they "Can't" make a Game with all Provinces, I'm saying that they won't and that having all of Tamerial Playable at one time wouldn't make the game feel bigger. Infact it would make the game feel smaller.

..."Like not enough jelly spread over too much bread" :)

Koala Jack

If it bleeds.
It would not be smaller, how would making more area make it smaller?

Koala Jack

If it bleeds.
Skyrim's map is something like 40 square (scale) kilometers, compared with Oblivion's 41. So no, it isn't larger.

I don't know if this would change anything, but Blackreach is huge. Skyrim just seems more open because of the area and the fact that mountains play a big role in shaping a landscape.

Two Bears

I don't know if this would change anything, but Blackreach is huge. Skyrim just seems more open because of the area and the fact that mountains play a big role in shaping a landscape.

Oblivion had some big internal dungeons too (Sancre Tor for example). That they position of the mountains may very well give the appearance of size. Skyrim's mountains are largely located in the center of the map. Oblivion's mountains were on the periphery.

Hargood

It would not be smaller, how would making more area make it smaller?

If the time and resources it took to make Skyrim... Not more, Not less... was given to creating every province in Tamerial at one time, the provinces would be smaller than Skyrim (including the province of Skyrim). There be would less to do in each province. There would be less Quests, less Dungeons, less Cities, less NPC's because that Time and Resources would be "Spread Out" over 9 area's instead of concentrated in one like they did with Skryim.

This is because it takes Time and People to Create Quests, Create Storys, Create Foliage, Create Buildings, etc.
That on top of it taking people to "lay the Peices down" of each Building , Dungeon, Dungeon Quests, Tree, Road, Grass, Nirn Root, etc.

and Like I said, If you mean that one would want 9 provinces all the Size of Skyrim... Then it would take as long as it takes to create 9 Skyrims sized Video Games.

Two Bears

Dungeon Interiors aren't. No.... but everything else?

Did Skyrim Not have more than Oblivion Did?

Not really, no. The guild questlines were significantly shorter across the board, as was the main quest. Dungeons in Oblivion, while cookie cutter, were roughly as numerous as well.

Hargood

Not really, no. The guild questlines were significantly shorter across the board, as was the main quest. Dungeons in Oblivion, while cookie cutter, were roughly as numerous as well.

Well, There were many many more Quests than both Oblivion and Fallout 3. You might not have completed all of them, but they were there.

But even if there was the Exact same number of Quests in Oblivion as there were in Skryim, would Taking that Same amount of Quests and Spreading them over 9 Provinces make the World feel bigger?

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
May I ask what "Fallout" is? I know about Oblivion and all the other ES's, but, what is "Fallout"? Oh wait, I get it, it's that post-apocalyptic thing, right? Isn't it made by the same folks? I'm not interested, really, but it does seem to get some good press here on the forums.

Hargood

Skyrim's map is something like 40 square (scale) kilometers, compared with Oblivion's 41. So no, it isn't larger.
(I screwed up my original post, sorry :oops:)

This also actually proves my point pretty well.

If Cyrodill is expanded over 40 kilo's
and Skyrim is Expanded over 40 Kilo's
How big would one province be in a game that has the Whole of Tamerial Spread over 40 kilo's?

Hargood

May I ask what "Fallout" is? I know about Oblivion and all the other ES's, but, what is "Fallout"? Oh wait, I get it, it's that post-apocalyptic thing, right? Isn't it made by the same folks? I'm not interested, really, but it does seem to get some good press here on the forums.
yep made by the same peeps.

The reason I put that in there is because The Elder scrolls and the Fallout series take alot of systems and game mechanics from each other. It is just like a Elderscrolls in a post Apocalyptic world. It's pretty fun. You should give it a look once Skyrim gets old to you.:) (If Skyrim ever does get old that is)

Two Bears

Well, There were many many more Quests than both Oblivion and Fallout 3. You might not have completed all of them, but they were there.

Again, I disagree for the reasons I stated above. I've put 1500+ hours into this game, so I may know a thing or two about it.

But even if there was the Exact same number of Quests in Oblivion as there were in Skryim, would Taking that Same amount of Quests and Spreading them over 9 Provinces make the World feel bigger?

It would probably make things feel a whole lot more empty. In Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas everything led to something. What you propose is a return to Arena, which if you played it you may not think it such a great thing. It's currently available for free on the Bethesda website, Check it out and tell me what you think.

Aniratak

yep. Definitly! They would make the Next Game Bigger and Better than Skyrim. The Next Province will be Alot Bigger and Grander than Skyrim was.

Yay! Can't WAIT! I don't like to fast travel. Love to walk from place to place, and it's cool to know that you have to walk a long way... All the things you can explore while walking! So fun=)

Aniratak

but... Isn't it so that on the map of Tamriel Cyrodiil and Skyrim looks the same size, but the actual gamespace is much larger in Skyrim. I saw an interview with Todd Howard saying they'd never made a game as big as Skyrim when it comes to the continent you can explore.

Two Bears

but... Isn't it so that on the map of Tamriel Cyrodiil and Skyrim looks the same size, but the actual gamespace is much larger in Skyrim. I saw an interview with Todd Howard saying they'd never made a game as big as Skyrim when it comes to the continent you can explore.

Yeah, devs are kind of known for saying that thing when it comes to selling games. Having every game in the series extensively, well, let's just say I don't buy it.

Aniratak

Yeah, devs are kind of known for saying that thing when it comes to selling games. Having every game in the series extensively, well, let's just say I don't buy it.

What about mountains? If you "stretch" the whole continent into one large flat pancake it has to be bigger?

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Daggerfall was around 400K + square miles or so. Which is way larger than any other Elder Scroll game made. Granted, it was all randomly generated but still. :p

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts