Skyrim vs. Oblivion....which ones better?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

GamerReview

I just syarted playing Skyrim and I've played through Oblivion. 3 separate times, the last one being on the PC woth the much celebrated dragon mod. The question I'm posing to you is which one do YOU like better? I can't decide myself. And also I found a cool poll about which system you use to play Skyrim here http://ratemusicart.blogspot.com/ So far, it looks like PC is winning.
dragon pic.jpg

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
Why are we even comparing a game that is 6 years old to a game that is a month old? Extremely stupid. Of course Skyrim is going to have the better graphics, game mechanics, and controls when compared to it's older siblings. So I don't see the point in this.

Panthera

Don Gato
Why are we even comparing a game that is 6 years old to a game that is a month old? Extremely stupid. Of course Skyrim is going to have the better graphics, game mechanics, and controls when compared to it's older siblings. So I don't see the point in this.
C'mon go easy on new member :)

Panthera

Don Gato
I don't know how you roll...I'm just saying. And it's not so stupid question, becouse it is not evryting in graphics and mehanics... I know many claim morrowind was better than oblivion even though oblivion had so much better graphic and mehanics.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
I don't know how you roll...I'm just saying. And it's not so stupid question, becouse it is not evryting in graphics and mehanics... I know many claim morrowind was better than oblivion even though oblivion had so much better graphic and mehanics.

Clearly you can't read, why compare games made by the same developer? Their latest game will always be better then their last in terms of how the game works and looks.

Now, if you talking about the storyline, that's different. And the original poster should have stated that in his post. But did not.

Panthera

Don Gato
Clearly you can't read, why compare games made by the same developer? Their latest game will always be better then their last in terms of how the game works and looks.

Now, if you talking about the storyline, that's different. And the original poster should have stated that in his post. But did not.

That may be so... cuz english is not my mother language, although I don't see he mentioned graphics or mehainics either.

And why not compare games made by same developer?

I compare movies from the same production... for example, from fast and furious my favorite parts where 1st and 2nd.

The thing is that devoloper can loose some touch and start to make not so good storylines.

The SIlent Man

I may say Morrowind lol Skyrim has a better graphics then Oblivion, but I think they sacrificed something interesting here and there. But if we are talking about the game in general maybe the best one was Morrowind...a game like that with the 2011 technology would be the perfect game. Anyway Oblivion and Skyrim are almost the same game with different environments, and of course Skyrim has something more, but also something less, for me. The final answer is Skyrim...or Oblivion...ok, Morrowind :)

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
If there's anything better about Oblivion, I would say... Hm. I suppose there were more magical effects to play around with. Skyrim doesn't even have silence spell/alchemic effect. Also, spellmaking was fun to abuse but I don't really miss it. There isn't anything much in vanilla Oblivion that's any better than Skyrim BUT fully modded Oblivion can be better than Skyrim in many ways. Skyrim, once its modding community expand fully, will completely overshadow Oblivion. Oblivion is still a fun game to play and it does have some more complex elements and it is still worth playing IMO.

Gandalf The Boss

Pupil of Nienna. Defender of Middle Earth
Just because I have been a fan of Bethesda for like 23546789 years I have to say The Elder Scrolls Arena was the best game..... or not..
I just say Skyrim! or Morrowind.. dam it! Ok because the question was between Skyrim and Oblivion I have to say Skyrim. :eek:

Shew

Account closed (at sincere request).
Personally I do like skyrims leveling system but honestly the story in oblivion was better

morguen87

|\/| P |/\|

uh, are you trolling or what? Get off your high horse.

He's asking which game is better. Being newer =/= better. I'm sure everyone has played a sequel to a game and enjoyed the original more. It's a perfectly valid question, you don't have to take a plops all over it.

Shew

Account closed (at sincere request).
exactly, stuff like the thieves guild were better in oblivion, mainly because they didn't make you into a thug shaking down merchants for protection money, or force you to work for someone like Maven Blackbriar, The other questline were better too, and there was the fabulous fighters guild arena. So basically lets sum it up like this other than being able to fight dragons Skyrim has story issues like working for either a empire that wants to oppress religious beliefs, or a rebellion that is xenophobic, thieves guild is a glorified thugs guild, a fighters quild that is non existant except the companions who don't care what you do, a mages guild that also doesn't care about helping skyrim, the blades want all dragons dead , Greybeards who want you to be a peacenick. The only good quest line is the Nightingales.... all of this is my opinion so flame away if you want but give a good rebutal if possible

Six Gun Tarot

Power is Power

Obliviously you never played Morrowind, it might have had horrid graphics but the story was much more entertaining then Oblivion.

Jaeger

If there's anything better about Oblivion, I would say... Hm. I suppose there were more magical effects to play around with. Skyrim doesn't even have silence spell/alchemic effect. Also, spellmaking was fun to abuse but I don't really miss it. There isn't anything much in vanilla Oblivion that's any better than Skyrim BUT fully modded Oblivion can be better than Skyrim in many ways. Skyrim, once its modding community expand fully, will completely overshadow Oblivion. Oblivion is still a fun game to play and it does have some more complex elements and it is still worth playing IMO.

Shut down wizards with the magicka regen poison. While they have whatever magickal they start with; it doesn't regen. You could also hit em with the magicka suck effect in tandem with the magicka regen poison.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Shut down wizards with the magicka regen poison. While they have whatever magickal they start with; it doesn't regen. You could also hit em with the magicka suck effect in tandem with the magicka regen poison.
I tried those effects but it just seems that mages have boundless amount of magicka to be effective at all. I frenzied 3 mages to fight each other. They kept casting spell on each other and healing themselves, it took forever for them to kill each other. I think it was a 5 minute long battle. This is probably why mages are my favorite victim for illusion spells.

Panthera

Don Gato
I tried those effects but it just seems that mages have boundless amount of magicka to be effective at all. I frenzied 3 mages to fight each other. They kept casting spell on each other and healing themselves, it took forever for them to kill each other. I think it was a 5 minute long battle. This is probably why mages are my favorite victim for illusion spells.

I never much played with magic. I see speels where it says it will work on 30 lvl enemy, so I was wondering when you reach lvl let say about 50, do these speels become later in game usless?