Skyrim vs. Oblivion....which ones better?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I never much played with magic. I see speels where it says it will work on 30 lvl enemy, so I was wondering when you reach lvl let say about 50, do these speels become later in game usless?
with perks, I believe you can use them on higher levels. Not sure what's the max level though.

jednj

I am playing Skyrim BECAUSE I enjoyed Oblivion so much . . . I am disappointed in Skyrim maybe because it was hyped so much, but there were alot of things about the mechanics in Oblivion I just found better: Like QUESTS - in Oblivion it was easy to review the context and text of Quests; in Skyrim there are only brief notes that point tothe quest, but there arer so many quests it becomes difficult to keep things straight. In Oblivion one could review notes and comments. Oblivion made much more in-game-sense in that and several other ways. Also - subjective - the world in Oblivion was "prettier". I'd love to see Oblivion with Skyrim level graphics. I agree the story in Oblivion was more engaging. ALL THAT SAID, let's remember we are comparing level of greatness. If there were no Oblivion then Skyrim would seem like a pinnacle . . and so much of what I like less about Skyrim is just subjective preference ... ALL THAT SAID I am playing Skyrim and enjoying it ... it just isn't Oblivion ... but it is growing on me.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
Obliviously you never played Morrowind, it might have had horrid graphics but the story was much more entertaining then Oblivion.

Actually I have played Morrowind. I own it, and it's my favorite of the three that I have played. Now previous to this post, where did I clearly state which one I was in favor of. I only pointed out that the newer games from a developer will get more attention simply because they are the 'current thing'.

Am I not allowed to voice my opinion on something that I feel is asinine? Even more so when it's hashed out in an asinine way?

Just because I don't sugar coat my posts with adoration for everyone doesn't make me a troll. I probably just don't like you.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Just because I don't sugar coat my posts with adoration for everyone doesn't make me a troll. I probably just don't like you.
I think if you sugar coated your post a little, this little drama would have been easily avoided! A small internet courtesy keeps the environment friendly and productive for everyone. I can tell you have some strong opinions but a little bit of compromise (in terms of how you present your opinion) can make things easier for all of us. I would hate to see you argue with other people over this sort of stuff again :[

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
I think if you sugar coated your post a little, this little drama would have been easily avoided! A small internet courtesy keeps the environment friendly and productive for everyone. I can tell you have some strong opinions but a little bit of compromise (in terms of how you present your opinion) can make things easier for all of us. I would hate to see you argue with other people over this sort of stuff again :[

Who is arguing? I voice my opinion, people don't like it, and they get angry. Over the internet. While their feathers get ruffled, I laugh like a hyena. Besides, stupidity shouldn't get courtesy.

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
Who is arguing? I voice my opinion, people don't like it, and they get angry. Over the internet. While their feathers get ruffled, I laugh like a hyena. Besides, stupidity shouldn't get courtesy.

Obviously you can't compare a newer and an older game directly, no. But you can look at how good they were when they each came out. What innovations they had, number of glitches, graphics compared to other games of the same year, improvement over the previous title, etc.

I understand what you're talking about, but there's more than one way to look at this.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
See? You keep calling other people stupid! That is probably the main reason why people don't like your opinion or at least, how you present them. That's not very nice and I am pretty sure there are better ways to voice your opinion :/ Calling others stupid is not productive at all. Inevitably, people will get mad and detracts the thread...

morguen87

|\/| P |/\|

You know how only idiots use the whole "I'm laughing at you getting upset" angle? Haha, yeah, it's not just a coincidence.

And according to you any game with the bigger number on the end makes it automatically better than its predecessors? That's a pretty thick way of thinking.

Besides, if you don't have anything to contribute, just don't reply.
I never replied to knock your weird furry artwork

morguen87

|\/| P |/\|
she shouldn't throw stones in a glass house...
the real point is that this forum is great because of the fun and helpful atmosphere. It's almost appalling to see someone get attacked for what is a perfectly fine question and a good idea for a thread. It's even worse when the person attacking is someone who contributes frequently to these forums. If this thread was enough to send you off the handle Jersey, you need a break. This isn't how we should treat newer members - or anyone here for that matter.

Reiji

Dark Mage of Clan Thu'um
This whole thread went to plops because the question was too vague. The term "better" is subjective to the player. When made more clear like say, in your opinion which game had a better storyline, mechanics, graphics, etc. it's easier to determine the "better" game, based on the specifics.
As for me...

Story= Morrowind
Mechanics= 50/50 Oblivion - Skyrim
Graphics= Skyrim...
Character Appeal = Oblivion (Not many NPC's in Skyrim really stand out like they did in Oblivion)

morguen87

|\/| P |/\|
This whole thread went to pl*** because the question was too vague. The term "better" is subjective to the player. When made more clear like say, in your opinion which game had a better storyline, mechanics, graphics, etc. it's easier to determine the "better" game, based on the specifics.
As for me...

Story= Morrowind
Graphics= Skyrim...
Character Appeal = Oblivion (Not many NPC's in Skyrim really stand out like they did in Oblivion)
The argument is flawed because the player's opinion based on the things you suggest like storyline, mechanics, etc, maybe everything but graphics, is obviously subjective to the player too. I think too many people are trying to suck up to the girl with the yellow star by her name. We absolutely would not take this from a newer member. There's nothing vague about "better." "which game is better?" is pretty clear cut. If someone asks you which game you like better and gives you two choices you wouldn't argue about how vague the question is.

Bottom line - The OP shouldn't get bashed for posing this question and people shouldn't feel like they have to jump through hoops to give an answer Jersey would approve without calling them an idiot, stupid, or whatever else she condescendingly said.

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
she shouldn't throw stones in a glass house...
the real point is that this forum is great because of the fun and helpful atmosphere. It's almost appalling to see someone get attacked for what is a perfectly fine question and a good idea for a thread. It's even worse when the person attacking is someone who contributes frequently to these forums. If this thread was enough to send you off the handle Jersey, you need a break. This isn't how we should treat newer members - or anyone here for that matter.

I don't think anyone's "sucking up" to her. Yes, the question is a little bit vague. You must remember the two games were released at different times, and they obviously have different standards. I must agree though that Jersey's outburst was a bit uncalled for, especially for a newer member.

Panthera

Don Gato
I don't think anyone's "sucking up" to her. Yes, the question is a little bit vague. You must remember the two games were released at different times, and they obviously have different standards. I must agree though that Jersey's outburst was a bit uncalled for, especially for a newer member.

Yes question can be answerd from many aspects... That's why I said she need to go easy on new member. Ok maybe she had a bad day (I kinda have that vibe from her) or somthing, and now becouse of pride she can't go back on her words.

So let's just dorp it and cool off... and answer to this question like Reiji did! :) (that part is for all)

Panthera

Don Gato
This whole thread went to pl*** because the question was too vague. The term "better" is subjective to the player. When made more clear like say, in your opinion which game had a better storyline, mechanics, graphics, etc. it's easier to determine the "better" game, based on the specifics.
As for me...

Story= Morrowind
Graphics= Skyrim...

I have the same opinion on that :)