Skyrim On Consoles Sucks...

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

High King of Skyrim

King of the barbarian horde
I play on xbox 360 and think Skyrim is the best game ever invented. I've been hooked ever since it's release and only halo 4 could drag me away for two months but Skyrim offers so much to gamers I still play every night. Also, roleplaying has never been an issue for me as it's based on imagination, not game mods.

jarif

I play on xbox 360 and think Skyrim is the best game ever invented. I've been hooked ever since it's release and only halo 4 could drag me away for two months but Skyrim offers so much to gamers I still play every night. Also, roleplaying has never been an issue for me as it's based on imagination, not game mods.

yh but after a while the game becomes boring since theres nothing to do

Annageckos

I play on PS3 and after over a year of playing I am still not bored. I don't think one is better then the other, everyone has their own opinion. I would like to be able to play on PC because I would like to be able to use some of the mods I have seen. But I don't have the money to get a good PC.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
what about the fun you can have with mods other than roleplay
** snipped out all the videos **

proff that they ruin the game.

That's not proof that mods ruin the game. That's a list of mods that may or may not add to someone else's enjoyment of the game. It's proof that if you know how to mod, you can add whatever you want into the game, however silly. As I stated before, there are many, many mods out there that enhance every aspect of the game and using a snippet of 5, specifically presented because they have noting to do with immersion and RP, isn't proof of much of anything.

Can you put mod on your game that completely breaks immersion? Sure.
Can you make a mod that totally changes the experience from the ones the designers originally made? Yep.
Can you play the game without mods and have fun? Indeed.

That's the point.

Baneloth

Skyrim on console isn't too bad. I play on PS3. Sure, we got fluffed with the DLC's, but it really isn't that bad. I haven't stopped enjoying it since I got it.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I do have to say, if I was a PS3 player, I'd be so very angry at Bethesda.

Back in the day (yes, I'm a fossil) when computer games were released, whether it be on the PC or console, they simply HAD to work right out of the box. There were no big web sites and companies like Steam to just get patches from. If a game was broken when it shipped, the publisher had to spend tons of money actually creating new media with the patch, convince the disgusted masses to go get it and then suffer the wrath of word of mouth. Despite the obvious convenience now of just being able to grab a patch to fix everything, I think this model we have now is a huge detriment to anyone who wants to take their time to develop a game, work out all the bugs and release a title they actually feel proud of top to bottom.

Sean

lost somewhere

Immersion:
-FrostFall
--Adds hypothermia to the game
-Guard Dialouge Overhaul
--Fixes the guard's dialogue so they actually treat the player with more respect depending on what you have done (uses only existing voice files)

Armor:
-Immersive Armor
--Adds many lore fitting armor to the game to more than just the player

Followers:
-UFO
--Substantially improves followers (humanoid and animal)

Overhauls:
-Better Vampires
--Improves how the vampire system functions, and is customizable
---I always prefer to have the system make sense, like feeding being able to make you stronger if you do it a lot

Creatures:
-Deadly Dragon
--Makes dragons actually seem worth fighting, and very challenging, they actually seem like a real threat after

-Monster Mod
--Adds many more creatures to the game, and if you get the lore friendly version (the one I use), then it fits with what should be there

New Lands/Quests:
-Falskaar
--This is practically DLC; it is a completely new area with new quests, and is separate from the mainland (like Dragonborn), with new music, and completely voice acting

Falskaar Gameplay Trailer:

The Wanderer

Young Heritic

Immersion:
-FrostFall
--Adds hypothermia to the game
-Guard Dialouge Overhaul
--Fixes the guard's dialogue so they actually treat the player with more respect depending on what you have done (uses only existing voice files)

Armor:
-Immersive Armor
--Adds many lore fitting armor to the game to more than just the player

Followers:
-UFO
--Substantially improves followers (humanoid and animal)

Overhauls:
-Better Vampires
--Improves how the vampire system functions, and is customizable
---I always prefer to have the system make sense, like feeding being able to make you stronger if you do it a lot

Creatures:
-Deadly Dragon
--Makes dragons actually seem worth fighting, and very challenging, they actually seem like a real threat after

-Monster Mod
--Adds many more creatures to the game, and if you get the lore friendly version (the one I use), then it fits with what should be there

New Lands/Quests:
-Falskaar
--This is practically DLC; it is a completely new area with new quests, and is separate from the mainland (like Dragonborn), with new music, and completely voice acting

Falskaar Gameplay Trailer:

I don't care about any mod you try to show me, I do not care it's not going to change my opinion, have fun with your Game the way you want, I'll have fun my way.

Sean

lost somewhere
I don't care about any mod you try to show me, I do not care it's not going to change my opinion, have fun with your Game the way you want, I'll have fun my way.

Completely missing the point.

Mods don't have to break a game, and there are actually many good ones that add to it, and more that even fix Bethesda's mistakes.
Writing off all mods as "game breaking" is strange considering that Bethesda can't seem to be bothered to fix the game or add complete content that people want instead of half assing it (werebears, spears, etc).

Some mods can be so large that if Bethesda released it on their own it would be worth $20, which shows a level of quality and dedication these modders have as they are free mods.

The Wanderer

Young Heritic

Completely missing the point.

Mods don't have to break a game, and there are actually many good ones that add to it, and more that even fix Bethesda's mistakes.
Writing off all mods as "game breaking" is strange considering that Bethesda can't seem to be bothered to fix the game or add content that was originally half assed (werebears, spears, etc).

Some mods can be so large that if Bethesda released it on their own it would be worth $20, which shows a level of quality and dedication these modders have as they are free mods.

Oh did I miss the point? So sorry, I don't care about the difference between a good mod and a bad mod, my POINT is that I will never be a user of mods, if you have a problem with that, too bad, shame on me for enjoying skyrim in my own way, without driving cars or playing as master chief, or any of the I suppose you call them good mods with realism in them. They aren't for me, sorry if you can't respect that.

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
what about the fun you can have with mods other than roleplay
** snipped out all the videos **

That's not proof that mods ruin the game. That's a list of mods that may or may not add to someone else's enjoyment of the game. It's proof that if you know how to mod, you can add whatever you want into the game, however silly. As I stated before, there are many, many mods out there that enhance every aspect of the game and using a snippet of 5, specifically presented because they have noting to do with immersion and RP, isn't proof of much of anything.

Can you make a mod that totally changes the experience from the ones the designers originally made? Yep.

That's the point.

I understand that there are mods that may enhance the whole experience, but they are not for me, I will probably always be a firm believer that a game is better without mods.

jarif

That's the point.

I understand that there are mods that may enhance the whole experience, but they are not for me, I will probably always be a firm believer that a game is better without mods.

mods = modify

The Wanderer

Young Heritic

That's the point.

mods = modify

Thanks for the clarification, I didn't know that. I thought it was an acronym or something. Lol

Sean

lost somewhere
mods = modify

Not entirely.

Mods as a noun typically means modifications, when people use mod as a verb, then it means modify.
It really all depends on the context.

Also going with it meaning "modification" that would technically then include any DLC or official update to the game.

-------------

Back to Wanderer:
Even just getting the mods that fix the game are good, and saying that none of them are worth it is ignorant (this isn't meant negatively).

The unofficial bug patches that groups of people have worked on to create are modifications to the game which are basically required, as Bethesda can't seem to take the time to fix any of those issues.

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
mods = modify

Not entirely.

Mods as a noun typically means modifications, when people use mod as a verb, then it means modify.

Also going with it meaning "modification" that would technically then include any DLC or official update to the game.

-------------

Back to Wanderer:
Even just getting the mods that fix the game are good, and saying that none of them are worth it is ignorant (this isn't meant negatively).

The unofficial bug patches that groups of people have worked on to create are modifications to the game which are basically required, as Bethesda can't seem to take the time to fix any of those issues.

Ha yeah I understand maybe people do consider my opinion ignorant, i'm not saying they are bad and i'm not bashing on people for using them, i'm just saying that I never intend on using any mods, people may think i'm missing out or whatever, but I still have an amazing time playing this game.

jarif

mods = modify

Not entirely.

-------------

Back to Wanderer:

Ha yeah I understand maybe people do consider my opinion ignorant, i'm not saying they are bad and i'm not bashing on people for using them, i'm just saying that I never intend on using any mods, people may think i'm missing out or whatever, but I still have an amazing time playing this game.

the cool thing about mods is you can choose what you want or create your own, for example; Woah I don't really like that Skyrim, gets a mod to fix that.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Sheesh all you PC geeks. Didja ever stop to consider that some of us just don't have the time for all that immersion? It's a video game for goodness sake. While I would love to have all the mods and be totally immersive, I've got a job, a family and a social life. I ain't got time for all that!

Daelon DuLac

I'm a little perplexed by players that say it's hard to role play in the console versions of the games. The major component of role play is one's imagination and there's not a lot in the game that stops one from using it. While there are mods that will hard code limitations, it's not that difficult to self-impose restrictions with the power of free will. There have been games far less immersive than the vanilla version of Skyrim and that never stopped players from role playing before. There are very few games that have more content than Elder Scrolls games so the claim that it lacks content and diversity in items sounds bizarre to me.
I believe it's just laziness or lack of imagination. When everything is laid out for you and you don't have to do anything for a paticular affect to happen then there is no imagination required. Sure the mods for environment, graphics, lighting, etc... certainly enhance the play, but, I have a friend who plays on PC that has every mod you can think of and, frankly, I don't need any imagination when I play on his computer. The game sets when I should eat, when I should sleep, what the environment does to me, how NPCs react, and on and on and on. To me it's more like reading a story rather than writing one of my own.

Sure my console version gets predictable, but, if you use your imagination, it can make for great roleplay. Example: Khajit warrior - not welcome in any cities (can't go in cities, must seek out caravans for buying and selling). To me it's all about how you Role Play, not how it's determined by a computer program.

Daelon DuLac

Nothing to do! I've been playing for 6 months now and I'm still discovering new things. The game is huge on console! How much time would you need on vanilla to get bored. I can't imagine having that much time.

jarif

Nothing to do! I've been playing for 6 months now and I'm still discovering new things. The game is huge on console! How much time would you need on vanilla to get bored. I can't imagine having that much time.

after 2 years :)