Skyrim is a VGA GOTY finalist

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
That's one the main reasons why I try to ignore metacritic and most of what journalists are trying to get through. Luckily we have zero punctutation.
well, metacritic does have collective scores from average users review which are quite useful. Also, zero punctuation can't say nice thing about video gaming because his audience just wants to hear him talk trash about games. It's funny but I can't take it seriously as a game review. :\

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
Have you seen the episode where Yahtzee reviews Portal 2? He desperatly tries to find all kinds of flaws to nag about, not really succeeding in it. I wouldn't say he is just back biting them without any constructive criticism. For example, about clichés.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
No, of course it has some constructive criticism here and there but I think the whole point of the series is just him rambling nonstop with very quirky descriptions. I watch him a few times just to get some laughs. His review really comes in second, at least for me. On the side note, his reviews do feel more genuine (but exaggerated somehow) compared to other main publisher's reviews.

Tusck

Have you seen the episode where Yahtzee reviews Portal 2? He desperatly tries to find all kinds of flaws to nag about, not really succeeding in it. I wouldn't say he is just back biting them without any constructive criticism. For example, about clichés.

I watched that one. He is hilarious, but Hex is right I only listen to him for the laughs. I don't read a ton of reviews because everyone has a bias for whatever reason and most of the time you don't know what is it.

Jeruhmi

No, of course it has some constructive criticism here and there but I think the whole point of the series is just him rambling nonstop with very quirky descriptions. I watch him a few times just to get some laughs. His review really comes in second, at least for me. On the side note, his reviews do feel more genuine (but exaggerated somehow) compared to other main publisher's reviews.
Yeah, unless it's a well known or genuine reviewer you have to expect a lot of biased feedback.

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
Exactly, everyone has a bias and everyone has an agenda. So I normally don't read reviews, I just choose games and hope for the best.

You don't even look them generally to have somekind of hunch what game might be all about? I usually try out demos, (or ..erhmmhm... ´loan´ them) to have idea about gameplay, plot, and dialogue. If it's good, I buy it. If it's not *del /f /s /q /a c://......./.../*

Tusck

Nope, I don't read any serious reviews. I know what I like and I just try things out. I can think of 2 games I played without reading reviews and really liked, Risen and Two Worlds 2. Both of them were not highly reviewed games but I didn't know that at the time.

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
That's an approach worth considering. However, imo one can lose more money by randomly picking up a game; as well as blindly believing in reviews. Well, I've lost my trust in most of magazines.

Tusck

The real trick to buying games is getting the buy in from your wife/girlfriend. I've been doing that about Skyrim for weeks, even getting my daughter all excited. Today I came home and she like "7 days to Skyrim". She rocks by the way. So the more buy in I get from the old lady, the more games I can buy.

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
The real trick to buying games is getting the buy in from your wife/girlfriend. I've been doing that about Skyrim for weeks, even getting my daughter all excited. Today I came home and she like "7 days to Skyrim". She rocks by the way. So the more buy in I get from the old lady, the more games I can buy.

Hah! But I still think the real trick is to manipulate your partner in way she'll end up responding: "Oh, what are we going watch today?" "Well, I play Skyrim and you watch" "That's lovely! I love you" Like, I am going to see that ever happen. :p

Warning to youngsters who must be thinking about relationships: don't get into them! You might lose some of your precious nerding time, like I do.

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
To true. I have lost tons of nerding time, however, whenever she starting bugging me, I just start talking about Star Wars. That usually buys me another hour or so.

I got to try that one out. I usually start to explain about Steven Seagal, and how awesome he is. I even start to show some videos from youtube

that, however, upsets her even more. Ah, women, no one understands them.

Cole

Mythik
I really don't see how it couldn't win Game of the Year, unless it had some game breaking flaw, but that is unlikely. I do have a bad feeling that MW3 might win just because it has a larger fan base and the multi-player is very popular

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
MW3 isn’t even a finalist, dude.

Flamingtaco

My vote is Skyrim. Arkham city doesn't stand a chance. Unhcarted has a really high production story and excellent voice acting plus good gameplay so its pretty solid. Skyward sword may be a little too nerdy for some people plus its on wii so I don't think its serious competition. I think Portal 2 may be the strongest because its on all platforms and the puzzle style of gameplay will appeal to more people, plus everyone loves GLADOS. If Skyrim is plagued by the usual Bethesda bugs then i don't think it will win, but otherwise it could beat out uncharted and portal.

Cole

Mythik
Oh, I must of heard wrong about MW3. Forget what I said lol.
I think Arkham City is pretty strong competition in my opinion, They did a great job on it, and the voice acting for that is also very solid.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
My vote is Skyrim. Arkham city doesn't stand a chance. Unhcarted has a really high production story and excellent voice acting plus good gameplay so its pretty solid. Skyward sword may be a little too nerdy for some people plus its on wii so I don't think its serious competition. I think Portal 2 may be the strongest because its on all platforms and the puzzle style of gameplay will appeal to more people, plus everyone loves GLADOS. If Skyrim is plagued by the usual Bethesda bugs then i don't think it will win, but otherwise it could beat out uncharted and portal.
Portal 2 is extremely well refined but it doesn't have much content to compete with huge games like Batman: AC and Skyrim. I mean, I finished the main story and coop in just 14 hours? Also, I agree with you one wii part with Skyward sword but on your argument about Skyward Sword being too nerdy, any games are technically 'nerdy'. Batman:AC received 100/100 on a lot of the review sites... That's crazy dude

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts