• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

brandon

It's funny, on one character, my first one, I no sooner talked to the Greybeards and I was running into dragons all the time it seemed. In fact, I have all the shouts and almost every part of all the shouts and still have something like 15 dragon souls left.
then my second character, I've hardly seen any dragons and have just enough shouts for each of the words.
I startd back on the main quest lines because I started running out of quests. I've had to break out the Wiki page to see if I missed any.
yeah i did that on my first guy. i had every word for every shout. but this time im not even using the shouts. since i had started on more of a role playing theme things seem to be easier.im not getting over welmed like i was and im playing on hard. but im trying not to die ever. i think the day i get my guy killed ill retire him and start over again. idk.

First of all, I've thoroughly enjoyed all the 'journal' threads I've read, most based on this playstyle.

I've been mulling over trying it out myself and have been thinking about some of the restrictions.

The carry weight - Thinking about this one I've thought, especially for the 30% one, it could get complicated calculating it out.

My thought was to have all characters use the 20%, eg divide the carry weight by 5 and then add a +- modifier based on the desired starting weight. This also makes stamina the same for carry weight on all characters by providing 1 weight every level, as opposed to 0.5, 1 and 1.5 respectively.

Crafting - One of my thoughts on this was to limit the character's crafting skills based on their combat skills, having the combat skills set a cap on how high the crafting profession can be raised.

My first prod at this didn't really get far as equipment was still really easy to come by even with the restriction, so I thought, why not leave that in but restrict use of just the Forge, it will still allow tempering of equipment, but you'd still have to find it first.

It might also make it slower to level seeing as you'd have to level it by upgrading the loot you bring back as opposed to just making lots of equipment to sell off, while still allowing you to progress in the skill. With the carry capacity also acting as a speed bump to this as well.

Haven't tried out enchanting and/or alchemy with this as of yet, I also don't have alot of experience with those normally anyway, but the combat skill cap might work well enough for those.

I kinda wish I had this on the computer... My plan was to wait a bit before purchasing it, waiting for the Creation Kit and the mod community to build up a bit and then getting it for the PC, but I was given the PS3 version for Christmas so ended up playing it a little earlier than expected.

I am enjoying it, but will eventually be upgrading versions at some point once the mod community grows.

Really wishing I could have the UI toggled selectively, it's kinda difficult to loot stuff without a crosshair XD

Crosshair off while sneaking/combat mode would work with this just about perfectly... Perhaps still have the regular crosshair while sneaking but not the hidden one...

Seethe

When you said "Hardcore" you meant "Hard*******Core" LOL!

I follow the rule of no fast travel
can only carry 1 extra set of armor and a few weapons
don't wear armor that you've found another wearing(armor is fitted for the individual)(armor in chests is ok, its a lucky coincidence it fits!)
heavy rain/snow storm seek immediate cover(which leads to fantastic situations)
sleep realistically
I also journal my character's adventure in a notepad, it sucks me in and helps me not get complacent with the character.

BIGwooly

First of all, I've thoroughly enjoyed all the 'journal' threads I've read, most based on this playstyle.

I've been mulling over trying it out myself and have been thinking about some of the restrictions.

The carry weight - Thinking about this one I've thought, especially for the 30% one, it could get complicated calculating it out.

My thought was to have all characters use the 20%, eg divide the carry weight by 5 and then add a +- modifier based on the desired starting weight. This also makes stamina the same for carry weight on all characters by providing 1 weight every level, as opposed to 0.5, 1 and 1.5 respectively.

Crafting - One of my thoughts on this was to limit the character's crafting skills based on their combat skills, having the combat skills set a cap on how high the crafting profession can be raised.

My first prod at this didn't really get far as equipment was still really easy to come by even with the restriction, so I thought, why not leave that in but restrict use of just the Forge, it will still allow tempering of equipment, but you'd still have to find it first.

It might also make it slower to level seeing as you'd have to level it by upgrading the loot you bring back as opposed to just making lots of equipment to sell off, while still allowing you to progress in the skill. With the carry capacity also acting as a speed bump to this as well.

Haven't tried out enchanting and/or alchemy with this as of yet, I also don't have alot of experience with those normally anyway, but the combat skill cap might work well enough for those.

I kinda wish I had this on the computer... My plan was to wait a bit before purchasing it, waiting for the Creation Kit and the mod community to build up a bit and then getting it for the PC, but I was given the PS3 version for Christmas so ended up playing it a little earlier than expected.

I am enjoying it, but will eventually be upgrading versions at some point once the mod community grows.

Really wishing I could have the UI toggled selectively, it's kinda difficult to loot stuff without a crosshair XD

Crosshair off while sneaking/combat mode would work with this just about perfectly... Perhaps still have the regular crosshair while sneaking but not the hidden one...

The 30% carry limit is actually really easy to calculate. All you do is take 10% and multiply it by 3, and figuring out 10% is really easy. So let's say my carry weight is 335 (which is what it is for my character right now). 10% of 335 is 33 (leave off the 5). 33 multiplied by 3 is 99. So my carry weight is 99 instead of 335. Booya.

I hear you on the crosshair. Sometimes it is a pain to not have it, but honestly I've been with 0% HUD for a long time now and I could never go back. Having the radar gone and the crosshair gone and the sneak indicator gone and health levels gone and just having a clean beautiful screen really has changed the immersion factor for me. I absolutely love it. But I have accidentally stolen like 3 things, lol.

BIGwooly

When you said "Hardcore" you meant "Hard*******Core" LOL!

I follow the rule of no fast travel
can only carry 1 extra set of armor and a few weapons
don't wear armor that you've found another wearing(armor is fitted for the individual)(armor in chests is ok, its a lucky coincidence it fits!)
heavy rain/snow storm seek immediate cover(which leads to fantastic situations)
sleep realistically
I also journal my character's adventure in a notepad, it sucks me in and helps me not get complacent with the character.

Good thoughts and I like the idea of heading to cover in snow or rain. Although I tend to assume my character would have a cloak for poor weather. Perhaps I should make him carry one or else he has to find cover. d;-)

And yeah, I guess I did mean "Hard**********Core". d;-)

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
Good thoughts and I like the idea of heading to cover in snow or rain. Although I tend to assume my character would have a cloak for poor weather. Perhaps I should make him carry one or else he has to find cover. d;-)

And yeah, I guess I did mean "Hard**********Core". d;-)

You do not need to make things any harder for Hrisskar than they already are. :) (But you may feel free to include that restriction for your next character, except that I don't think the vanilla game actually has cloaks other than Ulfric's).

BIGwooly

You do not need to make things any harder for Hrisskar than they already are. :) (But you may feel free to include that restriction for your next character, except that I don't think the vanilla game actually has cloaks other than Ulfric's).

lol .. I can agree with that.

mcfrg

OTHER SUGGESTIONS
Honestly I would love to hear any other suggestions of what others are doing to self-restrict and make the game more challenging. It's getting harder and harder to do since Bethesda seems dead-set on dumbing down each release even more, but there are still things you can implement. Feel free to share any ideas you have. d;-)
How about: You're only allowed to attack someone in self-defense.

The game keeps track of assaults, so you can check the stats to make sure that no one innocent was attacked.

After some experimenting I've found that
  • it's a crime to attack most creatures without first being attacked (even the undead).
  • it's not a crime to assault animals like wolves, bears, cats. Stay away from owned animals though, or at least chickens.
  • it's not a crime to assault Falmers or Forsworn
  • it's a crime to accidently attack your followers summoned creatures (which is weird)
  • it's a crime to attack calmed creatures with a few exceptions (see above).
If you cast Illusion spells, I recommend casting Fear spells instead of Pacifying spells if you want to finish the enemy because you can still attack a frightened creature and it doesn't count as an assault.

mcfrg

I'm going to try these:
  • Ironman (death is death)
  • Master difficulty
  • Not allowed to fast travel or use cart until you've cleared the path first
  • Not allowed to steal
  • Not allowed to assault anyone
  • Not allowed to murder
  • No trespassing allowed
  • Not allowed to make use of exploits
The more realism the better of course, but I don't have much patience, so I'm going with restrictions that instead keeps me alert.
I've died probably 6 times so far, so I may have to do something different if I die again, like limit the deaths to 3 or simply reload from manually saved games and save only when I've completed a quest. Having fun so far even if it's very frustrating when you die.

BIGwooly

I'm going to try these:
  • Ironman (death is death)
  • Master difficulty
  • Not allowed to fast travel or use cart until you've cleared the path first
  • Not allowed to steal
  • Not allowed to assault anyone
  • Not allowed to murder
  • No trespassing allowed
  • Not allowed to make use of exploits
The more realism the better of course, but I don't have much patience, so I'm going with restrictions that instead keeps me alert.

I've died probably 6 times so far, so I may have to do something different if I die again, like limit the deaths to 3 or simply reload from manually saved games and save only when I've completed a quest. Having fun so far even if it's very frustrating when you die.

Best of luck, but I think you're going to regret 'death is death' with master difficulty. I've had a simple pack of wolves kill me on master, lol.

__skippingstone

I really like this idea, I'm planning to make a character tomorrow following some of these rules and a few I have come up with on my own. So far I have :

• no use of exploits
  • all weapons & armour (including companions) must be made or found, no purchasing weapons or armour
  • no purchasing items for smithing/enchanting - they must be found/mined
  • when a companion dies they are dead, no save loading
  • only allowed to carry 30 lockpicks at any given time
  • no use of horses
  • only able to manually save when entering/leaving a city
  • unable to use scrolls (exception - J’zargo’s scroll quest)
  • weight limit of 150
  • can carry a maximum of three weapons, one must always be equipped
  • no stealing (unless necessary for a quest - mainly thieves guild); “taking” items is okay as it does not add bounty
I use fast travel all the time so I haven't taken that out, although I will try to use it less. I realize crafting/enchanting allows for more powerful weapons in theory but it will take me a long time to get there as I won't be spamming things like iron daggers that some people do to level up their smithing, it will just level as I actually need to craft items. I'll probably end up adjusting this as I play, but that's part of the fun.

BIGwooly

I really like this idea, I'm planning to make a character tomorrow following some of these rules and a few I have come up with on my own. So far I have :

• no use of exploits
  • all weapons & armour (including companions) must be made or found, no purchasing weapons or armour
  • no purchasing items for smithing/enchanting - they must be found/mined
  • when a companion dies they are dead, no save loading
  • only allowed to carry 30 lockpicks at any given time
  • no use of horses
  • only able to manually save when entering/leaving a city
  • unable to use scrolls (exception - J’zargo’s scroll quest)
  • weight limit of 150
  • can carry a maximum of three weapons, one must always be equipped
  • no stealing (unless necessary for a quest - mainly thieves guild); “taking” items is okay as it does not add bounty
I use fast travel all the time so I haven't taken that out, although I will try to use it less. I realize crafting/enchanting allows for more powerful weapons in theory but it will take me a long time to get there as I won't be spamming things like iron daggers that some people do to level up their smithing, it will just level as I actually need to craft items. I'll probably end up adjusting this as I play, but that's part of the fun.

Good luck! I think you will enjoy it. I would really suggest turning the HUD to 0%, though. It makes a huge difference in the experience. But even if you don't do that, have fun!

How would you change this to function in Mprrowind or Oblivion?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

BIGwooly

How would you change this to function in Mprrowind or Oblivion?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Good question. I've played this style in both of those games, although I don't remember all of the exact specs now. One of the best things about the other two games is that you don't have regenerating health. That alone makes the game much more interesting.

Ultimately, limiting the amount you can carry is the single biggest element I think for enhancing the gameplay. It affects so many things.

Hunfar

I've started using alchemy, but I have restrictions:

1. Can only carry 3-5 potions (depending on size)
2. Cannot sell potions (shopkeepers don't trust a strangers unknown potion)
3. Cannot create more than 1 potion a day.

This works out pretty well, and I usually end up relying on ingredients to restore health/stamina anyway.

BIGwooly

I've started using alchemy, but I have restrictions:

1. Can only carry 3-5 potions (depending on size)
2. Cannot sell potions (shopkeepers don't trust a strangers unknown potion)
3. Cannot create more than 1 potion a day.

This works out pretty well, and I usually end up relying on ingredients to restore health/stamina anyway.

I like the idea of not being able to sell potions. Good reasoning behind that. Also, limiting the number makes sense too, if you aren't already limiting your carry capacity.

Stereofanic

Hero of the defenceless, Champion of mankind
That's crazy. I have no idea how you are going to beat some of the higher level enemies with only 30 arrows and a dagger. Great idea, but it seems like its not very well thought out.

It's very well thought out for those looking for a challenge after beating Morrowind Oblivion and Skyrim multiple times. I will give this a try

Stereofanic

Hero of the defenceless, Champion of mankind
Nice thread by the way, very well thought out. did it take you long to think all this up?

BIGwooly

Nice thread by the way, very well thought out. did it take you long to think all this up?

Well, I started playing with restrictions back when I played Morrowind. I remember the moment actually. I was running around carrying like 3 or 4 swords and each had magical abilities. When I was attacked I would use the first sword to paralyze my enemy, then another one to burn it's health away, then another to cast a soul trap on it, etc. I was also carrying dozens of potions (which I would pause and spam if I ever needed to). So I was on this island about to head over to another island and kill and soul trap a flame atronacht when it hit me that I wasn't really having fun anymore. The game had become too easy for the most part and I had made it completely unrealistic.

So I quit that character and began experimenting with restrictions. I modified those as Oblivion was released, and again as Skyrim was released (damn u Bethesda for making regenerating health!). I've adjusted them a few times since starting my character for Skyrim, most recently adding that my character must carry clothes at all times (no one would just wear armor over their naked body afterall). d;-)

A month or so ago I simplified the meal system, which was previously that I had to restore 5% of my health every day. It was a bit tedious to have to remember what amount that was every day, and it actually felt less realistic as I would eat once a day. So I switched to a 'meal' system and it's much better now.

So to answer your question, I guess it's taken close to a decade of experimentation, and I still make adjustments to the system as I play. d;-)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts