• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Stereofanic

Hero of the defenceless, Champion of mankind
So if you had access to orcish armour (for example) you may not be able to have it due to carry limits

BIGwooly

So if you had access to orcish armour (for example) you may not be able to have it due to carry limits

Funny you should mention this. I do have orcish armor (found) and just purchased an orcish shield. And yes, it's a tough call because it weighs so much it means I can't carry as much other stuff. My current carry weight is 102 and I'm usually carrying around 94-95 of just the basics.

Stereofanic

Funny you should mention this. I do have orcish armor (found) and just purchased an orcish shield. And yes, it's a tough call because it weighs so much it means I can't carry as much other stuff. My current carry weight is 102 and I'm usually carrying around 94-95 of just the basics.

Well chose example on my part then:)

BIGwooly

By can only carry 20% do you mean armour only 20% or can never go over that all together with loot and weapon

20% total. So if the game says you can carry 350, 10% of that is 35, 20% of that is double .. so 70, and 30% is triple .. so 105. So that is the amount you can carry .. period .. loot, armor, potions, food, torches, whatever.

Bearcreek1

Killer of kings
Very nice. I have one question though, why no smithing? I know it can be exploited but couldn't you just not exploit it?

BIGwooly

Very nice. I have one question though, why no smithing? I know it can be exploited but couldn't you just not exploit it?

Three reasons.

First, I think the game is more balanced if you're not smithing at all. I mean, I think the game is already incredibly easy unless you're playing with restrictions. And being able to just make my own armor and weapons just felt too easy to me.

Second, I actually have more fun trying to find useful weapons and armor or saving up gold to purchase them. It feels more rewarding to me.

Third, for roleplaying purposes. Hrisskar (my character) was the son of a mere shopkeeper. His skills consisted of being able to catch fish and sweep floors and that's about it. So it didn't make sense to me for him to be able to start smithing weapons and armor.

d;-)

Hunfar

After a few days the hardcore playstyle is staring to feel like a grind fest... What do you guys usually do when things feels excessive? It's also harder to RP when there's no animations or challenge for things like fishing.

Just started out fresh with a wood elf, classic hunter/thief class. Routine consists of gathering ingredients, fishing, chopping wood (with restrictions) and hunting wolves or pretty much anything not strong enough to kill me :p

BIGwooly

Well, early on, if you're playing hardcore and you chose to start with nothing ... it IS a grind. Personally I find some enjoyment in that because I'm striving to achieve so many things (accumulate some gold, some armor, a weapon, some skills).

But honestly, if it feels too difficult and you're not having fun, try lower the difficulty or remove a few restrictions. But think it over first. My character started with literally nothing almost a year ago (game time) and it feels like a pretty awesome sense of accomplishment to see where he is at now.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Personally I love setting my own hardcore rules. I have Skyrim for both PC and console and I tend to use HC rules only for the PC... since there are so many mods that can help make the experience more fulfilling.

I like to set a long term goal along with several smaller, short term goals. Add in a few ever day life routines for each character I RP. As BIGwooly says, there is nothing quite like starting with nothing and seeing your character develop and grow as time goes by. Sometimes events change a character in such a way that you never would have thought possible.

But the important thing is that this is your game to play the way you want. Nothing is set in stone and you can alter the rules any time you see fit to ensure you keep having fun. If you are looking to change it up, guide your character into a situation he/she may not be ready for.

Just because you are RPing a character doesn't mean you can't act as a DM/GM and toss scenarios at your character to liven things up.

Morgan

re: Bosmer Barbarian, Orc mage, Altmer warrior

I think all of those would make great RP opportunities. The fact that X race tends not to be Y class doesn't mean it's impossible. In fact, the statement "most are not" ENTAILS "some are." As heros, our characters are the ones most likely to choose a different path.

Stereofanic

Tayloring the rules in Skyrim to your own preferences is good. Though it helps a lot when people post threads like this one to give their own suggestion

Hacksaw

One "realistic" restriction would be to assume that you can only drink 1 or 2 potions every hour as your stomach can only contain so much.

While I like the idea of increasing the challenge, I would find many of these restrictions tedious and suck the fun out of the game. I especially hate looking for the route up a mountain to an important location. Ten minutes of running around just isn't fun for me, no matter how you spin it.

One way to increase the challenge might be to take skills and perks that don't give as much advantage, or use your skills with no perks at all. Maybe do the hardest fights with the lowest-grade equipment.

BIGwooly

For me this is not just about increasing the challenge ... it's about increasing the immersion. So when I have to spend ten minutes finding a route up a mountain versus just following a compass on my screen, I get more into the game. But it's cool, we all play the game differently and for different reasons.

I like your idea of limiting how many potions you can drink, although without a mod it might be tedious to try and keep track of the hours and so forth. Regarding perks and not taking any, trust me, I'm already thinking along those lines for my next character maybe.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts