• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Gavin

Anyone know of any good places to safely store items in the game? Preferrably ones that aren't in the player-owned houses.

Vocc

Vocc
Tusck is right, if you put it in any public container, you'll loose your items. After completing an early on quest within 'Whiterum' (I'm sorry if thats the wrong name) you are given the chance to buy houses. I haven't looked into it yet but I'm presuming they'll cost about 5000 coins each and would be well worth the investment.

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
Tusck is right, if you put it in any public container, you'll loose your items. After completing an early on quest within 'Whiterum' (I'm sorry if thats the wrong name) you are given the chance to buy houses. I haven't looked into it yet but I'm presuming they'll cost about 5000 coins each and would be well worth the investment.

Yeah, pretty sure you can store items if you buy a house in Whiterun. ;)

Jack Fulham

Premium Member
Yup, I bought the 5k house in Whiterun. Upgrades are cheaper than the rip merchants in Oblivion!!

Khazrihl

If you get married can you store your stuff in your spouses house?

Here you go, friend.

(Link goes straight to the 'Spouse's Property' section of the UESP article on marriage and whatnot.)

Oblo

#swag
Go to Labrynthian. Go into a little crypt-half-sphere-area thing. You will find an area with a dead man and an item called "Wooden Mask" put it on in this area and you will bet teleported to a place (this place is actually the past. kinda confusing) with Dragon Priest Mask Stand (used to make Konahrik). There are 2 chests and an urn in this room. These containers never reset and cannot be stolen out of from thieves. So truely this is pretty much the safest place to store items in the game however it could be a hassle to get to because you have to equip Wooden Mask in a certain place.

Fireblade

I stored all my stuff in the chest in the bandit captain's quarters at Fort Fellhammer for several weeks before I could afford a house. Never once had anything go missing. A couple of times I found people outside the fort, but they generally got killed. The bodies, as far as I know, are still there. Eventually the bandits inside the fort respawned, and I cleared them out again, but the captain stayed dead, and he was the only inhabitant of the quarters.

AstroSteve

Dovahking
There is a simple safe storage area actualy. All of my items were safe for nearly an in-game year before I bought Proudspire manor. They would still be safe there now, but I don't need to use it anymore.

Go to Riverwood, then go to the Sleeping Giant Inn. Now go to the room with the fake wardrobe that leads to the secret Blades room. If you're a decent way through the main quest, you'll have been here already. The chest on the left is the chest you collect your items from after invading the Thalmor party, so it keeps items safe forever.

Not sure if it's safe before doing the Thalmor invasion quest called "Diplomatic Immunity", but afterwards I could trust everything I owned to it while I was out hunting. Hope this helps the hobos who cant afford a house yet :)

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
I'm storing stuff safely in the wardrobe of my room in Winterhold College.

Mabe

There are two barrells outside the blacksmith in whiterum that dont reset. I still keep all my smithing materials there even though I have 4 houses. Whiterun is the best town for smithing. 3 npc blacksmiths to trade with and 2 forges.

CH1LAX

I also stored all my items in these barrels. until i could afford my first house, Its amazing how much these barrels can actually hold.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
There are two barrells outside the blacksmith in whiterum that dont reset.
Those barrels reset.

You probably think they don't because you visit Whiterun often enough to restart the countdown timers for those containers but if you stay out of Whiterun for more than 2 weeks you may be in for an unpleasant surprise when you check those barrels and find cabbage and salt piles. :oops:

As a practical matter you will probably never lose those items because 2 weeks outside of Whiterun will never happen for you, but given that Breezhome is less than 10 meters away you might want to reconsider the heights of laziness you are willing to pursue in storing your items in the barrels by Warmaiden's. :p

I also stored all my items in these barrels. until i could afford my first house, Its amazing how much these barrels can actually hold.
All containers in Skyrim were created by the Time Lords using the same dimensionally transcendental technology they use to create Tardises. :D

BrthrhdOfSteel

The Goose Assassin
There is a simple safe storage area actualy. All of my items were safe for nearly an in-game year before I bought Proudspire manor. They would still be safe there now, but I don't need to use it anymore.

Go to Riverwood, then go to the Sleeping Giant Inn. Now go to the room with the fake wardrobe that leads to the secret Blades room. If you're a decent way through the main quest, you'll have been here already. The chest on the left is the chest you collect your items from after invading the Thalmor party, so it keeps items safe forever.

Not sure if it's safe before doing the Thalmor invasion quest called "Diplomatic Immunity", but afterwards I could trust everything I owned to it while I was out hunting. Hope this helps the hobos who cant afford a house yet :)
This is a good spot, but u cant get into the room b4 u do the quest. I have tried and it says u need a key to open.

AstroSteve

Dovahking
This is a good spot, but u cant get into the room b4 u do the quest. I have tried and it says u need a key to open.
Yeah, but the key doesn't actualy exist (even using console commands) as I said it's open after doing the Thalmor quest but until then it's impossible to get inside. Unless there's some teleporting console command.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Now that the code for containers can be seen via the Creation Kit, someone at the UESP Skyrim Wiki has created an article on containers. Note the following from the article.

1. Containers that reset their content are apparently coded by the type of the container. Those that aren't coded to reset will not reset regardless of location.

2. There are locations in the game, e.g. the the five named houses in the capital cities, that are coded to override the reset coding of containers and items so that even containers that normally reset contents will not do so if they are at that location.

3. Chests are not safe containers and in the linked Safe Locations page, the Sleeping Giant Inn, nor any part of it, is listed as a safe location. I may download the Creation Kit and check it myself but if its not a safe location, the chests in the secret room at the Sleeping Giant Inn will eventually reset their contents.

Vraek

The containers in archmages quarters and the college room you get don't respawn, I lived at the college until level 50ish on my main, but the houses are a good investment, Vlindrel hall (Markarth) is my personal fave due to it not being too expensive, and having a lot of storage containers

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts