• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
To anyone who kills Paarth:

I will find you, and kill you

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
To anyone who kills Paarth:

I will find you, and kill you

I've killed him so many times now... and it gets more gratifying every time. Nothing better than putting a coward out of his misery. If Paarth were chewing gum, he'd be the grungy, crusty piece stuck to the bottom of my fur boot.

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
I've killed him so many times now... and it gets more gratifying every time. Nothing better than putting a coward out of his misery. If Paarth were chewing gum, he'd be the grungy, crusty piece stuck to the bottom of my fur boot.
How is the old man a coward? :eek:

THE BLADES HAVE CORRUPTED YOU!!!

If it weren't for Paarthy the world would have been destroyed by now. He taught man Thu'um to defeat Alduin. Kyne herself changed Paarthy's horrid nature and made him sympathetic to man. Through his life he has been helping man and all. :)

Mr Forz

I'm helping. Mostly.
I have no care for the Blades' quest and I didn't kill Paarthy. I do expect him to make an attempt in a far future, but well, one of the very few benefits of being a vampire is that time matters very little for me either.

Ritterkreuz

I've never slain Paarthunax in any build, and I never will. If it was an option I would slap Delphine for being an over-zealous b__ch. Her real enemy is the Thalmor, not Paarthunax.

I killed him once just to see
where the Blade Quest led . It required finding some follower's that help you kill Dragons. It was a pain , and not any thing to make you happy bout killing the very best dragon in the game. I would really very much like to take out Delphine , but ( sigh :mad: ) no deal she can't be MIA:sadface:

I did not. I tried to see if I could resolve the quest by talking to Paarthurnax and then leaving, talking to the Greybeards and telling them I was going to spare Paarthurnax, etc etc, but that darn quest is still stuck in my active quests. Needless to say, it will not be finished.

Honestly I don't care for Delphine or Esbern anyway. Delphine lies several times and when she finally says she'll answer "all" of your questions, she answer all of what, three questions (?) before saying that she couldn't spare the time to answer any more. She and Esbern can sit around that old ruin the rest of their lives waiting for me to return with the news that I've defeated Paarthurnax.

PoisonPen

I got so annoyed that I hunted down and installed a mod which allows me to convince the Blades not to kill Paarthurnax. I don't regard this as cheating; it's more along the lines of a James T. Kirk solution to the Kobyahi Maru. The reason is that Bethesda is notorious for pulling stunts like this, pretending that they're being deep and allowing for painful existential choices just like real life, while what they're really doing is just railroading the player into making an unpalatable decision, the outcome of which is unfair. A good example of this is the Tenpenny Tower quest in Fallout 3, where the "peaceful" solution results in a bloody massacre, while the alternative solution involves committing murder and getting chummy with a sociopathic racist who cheerfully nukes an entire city because he finds it aesthetically displeasing and kills random people with a sniper rifle out of boredom. I understand that Fallout 3 is a crapsack world, but it makes the player feel out of control of her or his own destiny, something which is antithetical to RPGs.

If Bethesda wanted to make it a true existential decision, then they should have offered the possibility of exterminating the Blades to balance the options out. Ideally there should be several ways of dealing with the problem. But then, that's Bethesda for you; you're either Saint Paladin the Lawful Stupid or Deathface the Evil Horker Rapist. Nothing in between -- but sometimes weirdly both, where you're forced by limited conversation options to be sensitive and caring ("I'm sorry, Angeline, your daughter is dead"), which you can then follow up by beating someone to death with her own arm and using her corpse for necromantic experiments.

LotusEater

All you Paarth lovers... so easily swayed. This is why that weasel has persisted for so many years. His ability to win over and talk his way into the new powers good graces. The Blades are tools, yes, but this doesn't excuse his slick tongue nor the sharp dagger that will someday be in your back. Don't get old and feeble cuz Paarth will land on your head to make way for the next world power. He's just waiting out your term to see which direction he needs to go next.

Paarth had thousands of years to help repair the relationship with mankind, instead he hid like a coward and waited it out.

Cylos

The Last Dragonborn
Paarth had thousands of years to help repair the relationship with mankind, instead he waited for Alduin's return.
There I fixed it for you. He could have hidden at any mountain if he was a coward, so why hide at the mountain with a tear in time that Alduin would pop out of. Why would a coward turn against the most powerful Dovah and destined destroyer of the world?
Odahviing said that most dragons would not bow to Paarthurnax, if he did try to rule the Dovah, his opposition would conspire to destroy him.

LotusEater

There I fixed it for you. He could have hidden at any mountain if he was a coward, so why hide at the mountain with a tear in time that Alduin would pop out of. Why would a coward turn against the most powerful Dovah and destined destroyer of the world?
Odahviing said that most dragons would not bow to Paarthurnax, if he did try to rule the Dovah, his opposition would conspire to destroy him.

Ya... he waited for Alduin's return by the tear in case he needed to kiss some quick ass.

Further, he doesn't tell you jack squat about anything until you prove your power to him. Thus revealing which ass to kiss.

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
Ya... he waited for Alduin's return by the tear in case he needed to kiss some quick ass.

Is this why he helps the Dragonborn battle Alduin at the throat of the world?
Further, he doesn't tell you jack squat about anything until you prove your power to him. Thus revealing which ass to kiss.

Maybe because he wanted proof that you were the truly the Dovahkiin..?

I've no idea how you've managed to convince yourself into believing Paarthurnax is an ass kissing coward when in fact he had the guts to stand against Alduin and help the humans bring an end to the Dragon age. And despite this, he sought no power, choosing to live a life of meditation and solitary penance at the Throat of the World.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

LotusEater

Is this why he helps the Dragonborn battle Alduin at the throat of the world?

By then you've already more than proven your power to him. Of course he's gonna help you. He don't want to be next.

Maybe because he wanted proof that you were the truly the Dovahkiin..?

I've no idea how you've managed to convince yourself into believing Paarthurnax is an ass kissing coward when in fact he had the guts to stand against Alduin and help the humans bring an end to the Dragon age. And despite this, he sought no power, choosing to live a life of meditation and solitary penance at the Throat of the World.

He already knew. You made it past the winds, of course you are Dragonborn. That's not enough for him... he also wants to feel your voice against his body so he can guage your power further. That's what cowards do... they hedge their bets as best they can before puckering up.

The only reason he sought no power was because:

A) Their were no dragons around to recruit

B) He already knew that any dragons around wouldn't bow to him anyway.

He was just looking for the most comfortable coat-tails.

LotusEater

Paarth supporters also like to glaze over his past like he was some puppet of Alduin's. He was much more than that. He participated in and orchestrated atrocities towards mankind and was not a puppet, but a vital cog in an organization that sought to exterminate ALL. He was part of the brain trust. Trust that?

Never.

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
By then you've already more than proven your power to him. Of course he's gonna help you. He don't want to be next.

The only reason you have such power being because of Paarthurnax and his guidance. Further indicating that he isn't out to best you or stab you in the back.
He already knew. You made it past the winds, of course you are Dragonborn.
It really isn't a clear indication that you're the prophesied savior of mankind if you can make it through bad weather.
That's not enough for him... he also wants to feel your voice against his body so he can guage your power further.

Correct, he wants to see if you truly possess the power of a Dov.
That's what cowards do... they hedge their bets as best they can before puckering up.

This is really a baseless assumption of one's character that has nothing to support it. The only evidence you've shown that Paarthurnax is a coward are clearly twisted and misinterpretated story elements. It gets to the point where you're just making things up to back your point.

It's clear that Paarthurnax is helping the Dragonborn, as he helps all who seek to learn the Way of the Voice. It's through his teachings that the player character becomes as powerful as they are.

from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
A) Their were no dragons around to recruit

Why would this even matter, he could've easily dominated the humans regardless of whether other dragons were present or not.
B) He already knew that any dragons around wouldn't bow to him anyway.

Where is the evidence to support this.
He was just looking for the most comfortable coat-tails.

You've got to be trolling.

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
Paarth supporters also like to glaze over his past like he was some puppet of Alduin's. He was much more than that. He participated in and orchestrated atrocities towards mankind and was not a puppet, but a vital cog in an organization that sought to exterminate ALL. He was part of the brain trust. Trust that?

Never.

Those events took place thousands of years ago, and the only reason they came to an end was because of Paarthurnax. He recognizes the crimes he's committed and has lived a solitary life of meditation because of it. I'd say he's more than earned his pardon, considering he helps save mankind twice.

LotusEater

The only reason you have such power being because of Paarthurnax and his guidance. Further indicating that he isn't out to best you or stab you in the back.

Wrong. You already have the power of the Dragonborn. Paarth only gives you the secret to take down Alduin. Who can blame him for giving you the secret to take the down the dude he back-stabbed.

It really isn't a clear indication that you're the prophesied savior of mankind if you can make it through bad weather.

Well since you need a Shout to get there, I'd beg to differ. Paarth doesn't really care about mankind. If he did, he wouldn't have hid on a mountain. He would have used his so-called infinite wisdom to try and figure a way to help. Nope, he was just making sure you had enough power to dispatch the guy who he screwed over.

Correct, he wants to see if you truly possess the power of a Dov.

He already knows. By the time you meet him you've already basically surpassed the Greybeards.

This is really a baseless assumption of one's character that has nothing to support it. The only evidence you've shown that Paarthurnax is a coward are clearly twisted and misinterpretated story elements. It gets to the point where you're just making things up to back your point.

I've based it on my interactions with him and the lore available. He is not an honorable being imo.

It's clear that Paarthurnax is helping the Dragonborn, as he helps all who seek to learn the Way of the Voice. It's through his teachings that the player character becomes as powerful as they are.

Did you really need Dragonrend to beat Alduin?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts