Now that Ulfric is High King of Skyrim...?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

nordicowboy

Must be my Nord blood......
i agree that ulfric would be blown out almost instantly by the dominion. also, the greybeards would never involve themselves in a war, as violence is the last thing they would ever think of doing.
try punching one of them in the face...you'll see how non violent they are

Sweet Rolls

True Nord 4 lyf yo
Nobody knows it was the Dragonborn who killed Titus Mede II, just that it was a Dark Brotherhood assassin. If Titus Mede II had no heirs the Dragonborn would have a strong legitimate claim to the throne, since the Septim Dynasty of Emperors were Dragonborn too, so it'd be sorta carrying on the tradition of Dragonborn Emperors. Plus being Dragonborn is a pretty big f***fing deal.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Could always take it by force, summon the hero's of sovngarde with that shout, charge into battle with them, take the throne, and be Emperor.

Nobody knows it was the Dragonborn who killed Titus Mede II, just that it was a Dark Brotherhood assassin. If Titus Mede II had no heirs the Dragonborn would have a strong legitimate claim to the throne, since the Septim Dynasty of Emperors were Dragonborn too, so it'd be sorta carrying on the tradition of Dragonborn Emperors. Plus being Dragonborn is a pretty big f***fing deal.
That's a darn good point indeed. Does anyone know if Mede has any legitimate heirs to his throne?

ConfusedPenguin

If in doubt , ask M'aiq The Liar.
Could always take it by force, summon the hero's of sovngarde with that shout, charge into battle with them, take the throne, and be Emperor.

You have to remember that the Dragon Born is mortal , he can die. How many times have you died in Skyrim and re-loaded a game? :eek:

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Well then, let them charge into battle, Empire hasn't got that many intact Legions, if Skyrim was taken by the Stormcloaks, then the 4th Legion is gone, so they're down even more.

Sweet Rolls

True Nord 4 lyf yo
Ulfric or Galmor I forget, did say that he plans to take the battle to the Thalmor once the Stormcloak army is strong enough, I can confirm that. It'd be interesting to see the outcome.

I doubt the Dragonborn would decide to do a Titus Mede and march on the Thalmor and declare himself/herself Emperor, and he wouldn't do it with the hero of Sovngarde shout since when I tried it, a small group of 3 or 4 skeevers killed the guy in about 10 seconds :p

I think if the Dragonborn - a very significant hero, respected by most people including Ulfric - became Emperor, managed to unite Skyrim, Hammerfell and the Empire and then destroy the Thalmor together, everything would be cool, Ulfric might be happy to be a part of the new Empire too.

Serebro Moniker

He who moves it moves it
This is going to be a long one, ladies and gents.

So, here is the situation as I see it.
Ulfric controls Skyrim as High King, with Galmar Stone-Fist at his left hand and Stormblade, or the Dovahkiin, at his right. Already you’ve got a pretty good set-up for Ulfric there, the Dragonborn is a pretty much unstoppable force, and he or she (for the purpose of this post I’ll say he’s a male) is the most important factor here.

First, we need to take into account that in Lore, the Dragonborn would have been unstoppable. This is a video game, which is the reason that you can’t use endless shouts at a consistent rate, or combine shouts. But if we take those limitations out of the equation, he’s pretty damn unstoppable.
Next, we need to take into account the Dragon Breaks. A Dragon Break, for those who don’t know, is when multiple things happen in the universe, multiple timelines are created, all centred around one specific point, and then only one of those ends up being the correct version of events. For instance, there are around seven or so endings for Daggerfall; but which one really happened? A Dragon Break fixes that problem by deciding which one.
Here are some instances of Dragon Breaks in Skyrim: Which side did the Dovahkiin join? Of course, we’re assuming the Stormcloaks. Did the Dovahkiin destroy the Dark Brotherhood or join them and ultimately assassinate the Emperor? I’m going to assume the latter in this case. Was Paarthurnax killed? We’ll assume no. And there are many more, the most common of which is whenever your character dies and you reload a save. Did the Dragonborn die then, or did he not?
Now then. With the Dragonborn at his side, Ulfric’s pretty unstoppable, and not just because he’s now got the power of two Thu’um-users. There’s more.
As it stands, the Dragonborn has control of: The Dark Brotherhood, the Thieves Guild, the College of Winterhold, the Companions, is a friend to the Greybeards (however they probably won’t fight for him when asked) and even the Bard’s College. He also has the loyalty of Odahviing and at least one warrior of Sovngarde. All will do whatever they are told by him.
So here’s how each of these guys would be useful. The Dark Brotherhood are of course assassins, and would be very useful to the Stormcloaks in that they can slip in, kill a Thalmor general, and slip out without being noticed. The Thieves Guild could steal Thalmor documents. The College is admittedly slightly looser and the Archmage would not necessarily be able to get them all fighting, but he’d be able to convince at least some of them (J’zargo, for instance) to fight. Obviously mages would be very useful in the battlefield. The Companions would be useful for obvious reasons; they have some of the best warriors in Skyrim and two werewolves (Aela and the Dragonborn himself). The Bard’s College wouldn’t be that useful, except that they could keep up the morale of the troops and have some warriors in their ranks. As for Odahviing, well, that doesn’t need explaining.
The Greybeards present a greater problem. They refuse to involve themselves with the affairs of others - hell, they were hesitant to even get involved in peace talks! However, as someone else said, try attacking one and see how peace-loving they are. They would absolutely get involved if attacked by the Thalmor, giving Ulfric a total of seven Thu’um-users - the Dragonborn, Ulfric himself, the four Greybeards, and Odahviing - against the Thalmor’s zero. Now that is a hell of an advantage.
Next we examine Skyrim’s climate. The Dominion has very little presence in Skyrim, and don’t know the area particularly well, which already gives the Stormcloaks an advantage. Skyrim is also the perfect place for Guerrilla Combat, as is Hammerfell, which was the main reason that the Dominion was kicked out of there. Finally, in case you haven’t noticed, Skyrim’s damned cold. The Nords are used to cold, while the High Elves aren’t, leaving the Thalmor soldiers at another disadvantage.
However, here’s were things go South for the Stormcloaks. If, and we’re assuming he did, the Dragonborn did assist the Dark Brotherhood, then the Emperor was killed in Skyrim. Considering the war going on at the time, the Empire is going to blame the Stormcloaks for this (either thinking it was them or that they hired the Brotherhood to do it for them) so we can count out their help, even if Ulfric would accept it, which I doubt he would.
Next up we have the problem of the Elves in Windhelm. In the event of an invasion, I think we can assume that at least most of them would side with the Thalmor. Considering that Windhelm is the new capital of Skyrim, this would be a problem. However, with the combined efforts of Ulfric, the Dovahkiin, the Windhelm guard and the more warlike (read: most of the) citizens of Windhelm, this wouldn’t pose much of a threat.

So, weighing up the advantages and disadvantages of each side, as long as Ulfric keeps his men in Skyrim and lets the Dominion come to him, the Thalmor are royally fluffed.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
Ok, just for the sake of argument, let's remove the dragonborn and the empire as factors for a moment.

Now you have the Nords under Ulfric, largely warriors or archers, very few magic users, fighting in their homeland that is cold, unforgiving and mountainous.

On the other side you have the Thalmor, magic users, many of which are skilled with a blade, and would most likely gain the support of most of the elves in skyrim, the khajiit, and argonians.

Honestly, the racial uprisings that are bound to happen would be put down by sheer numbers, and the thalmor would be left trying to invade a hostile country both in environment and society, and despite their significant magical advantage, would most likely turn tail and run when they started losing, just like they did in Hammerfell.

So, without speculations on overpowered heroes, or alliances with other provinces, the thalmor would most likely lose a war with skyrim under Ulfric. Add in those speculations that I've chosen to leave out and you're talking about a seriously f***ed Aldmeri Dominion

ConfusedPenguin

This is going to be a long one, ladies and gents.

Ulfric controls Skyrim as High King, with Galmar Stone-Fist at his left hand and Stormblade, or the Dovahkiin, at his right. Already you’ve got a pretty good set-up for Ulfric there, the Dragonborn is a pretty much unstoppable force, and he or she (for the purpose of this post I’ll say he’s a male) is the most important factor here.

First, we need to take into account that in Lore, the Dragonborn would have been unstoppable. This is a video game, which is the reason that you can’t use endless shouts at a consistent rate, or combine shouts. But if we take those limitations out of the equation, he’s pretty damn unstoppable.
Next, we need to take into account the Dragon Breaks. A Dragon Break, for those who don’t know, is when multiple things happen in the universe, multiple timelines are created, all centred around one specific point, and then only one of those ends up being the correct version of events. For instance, there are around seven or so endings for Daggerfall; but which one really happened? A Dragon Break fixes that problem by deciding which one.
Here are some instances of Dragon Breaks in Skyrim: Which side did the Dovahkiin join? Of course, we’re assuming the Stormcloaks. Did the Dovahkiin destroy the Dark Brotherhood or join them and ultimately assassinate the Emperor? I’m going to assume the latter in this case. Was Paarthurnax killed? We’ll assume no. And there are many more, the most common of which is whenever your character dies and you reload a save. Did the Dragonborn die then, or did he not?
Now then. With the Dragonborn at his side, Ulfric’s pretty unstoppable, and not just because he’s now got the power of two Thu’um-users. There’s more.
As it stands, the Dragonborn has control of: The Dark Brotherhood, the Thieves Guild, the College of Winterhold, the Companions, is a friend to the Greybeards (however they probably won’t fight for him when asked) and even the Bard’s College. He also has the loyalty of Odahviing and at least one warrior of Sovngarde. All will do whatever they are told by him.
So here’s how each of these guys would be useful. The Dark Brotherhood are of course assassins, and would be very useful to the Stormcloaks in that they can slip in, kill a Thalmor general, and slip out without being noticed. The Thieves Guild could steal Thalmor documents. The College is admittedly slightly looser and the Archmage would not necessarily be able to get them all fighting, but he’d be able to convince at least some of them (J’zargo, for instance) to fight. Obviously mages would be very useful in the battlefield. The Companions would be useful for obvious reasons; they have some of the best warriors in Skyrim and two werewolves (Aela and the Dragonborn himself). The Bard’s College wouldn’t be that useful, except that they could keep up the morale of the troops and have some warriors in their ranks. As for Odahviing, well, that doesn’t need explaining.
The Greybeards present a greater problem. They refuse to involve themselves with the affairs of others - hell, they were hesitant to even get involved in peace talks! However, as someone else said, try attacking one and see how peace-loving they are. They would absolutely get involved if attacked by the Thalmor, giving Ulfric a total of seven Thu’um-users - the Dragonborn, Ulfric himself, the four Greybeards, and Odahviing - against the Thalmor’s zero. Now that is a hell of an advantage.
Next we examine Skyrim’s climate. The Dominion has very little presence in Skyrim, and don’t know the area particularly well, which already gives the Stormcloaks an advantage. Skyrim is also the perfect place for Guerrilla Combat, as is Hammerfell, which was the main reason that the Dominion was kicked out of there. Finally, in case you haven’t noticed, Skyrim’s damned cold. The Nords are used to cold, while the High Elves aren’t, leaving the Thalmor soldiers at another disadvantage.
However, here’s were things go South for the Stormcloaks. If, and we’re assuming he did, the Dragonborn did assist the Dark Brotherhood, then the Emperor was killed in Skyrim. Considering the war going on at the time, the Empire is going to blame the Stormcloaks for this (either thinking it was them or that they hired the Brotherhood to do it for them) so we can count out their help, even if Ulfric would accept it, which I doubt he would.
Next up we have the problem of the Elves in Windhelm. In the event of an invasion, I think we can assume that at least most of them would side with the Thalmor. Considering that Windhelm is the new capital of Skyrim, this would be a problem. However, with the combined efforts of Ulfric, the Dovahkiin, the Windhelm guard and the more warlike (read: most of the) citizens of Windhelm, this wouldn’t pose much of a threat.

So, weighing up the advantages and disadvantages of each side, as long as Ulfric keeps his men in Skyrim and lets the Dominion come to him, the Thalmor are royally fluffed.

First of all let me congratulate you for doing a post that size with it all making sense, when I seen the size of it , I couldn't swap from my iPod to PC fast enough to write a response.

But there's one bit I disagree with , I know that the Dovahkiin is automatically a " hero " due to the fact that he ( or of course she, just going with male ) for this is , well , Dragonborn. But I think that he can still be defeated , even by an unlucky slit to the throat while sleeping , so I think it would be unwise to over-estimate him.

But saying that, I agree with most other things you said, but Sweet Rolls makes a valid point.

Sweet Rolls

True Nord 4 lyf yo

I seriously doubt the Dragonborn could get people from the factions he rules to fight the Thalmor with him. None of them have any concern for politics or war. And getting the Thieves Guild to steal documents just because they're thieves is a bit stupid, there are skilled scouts and reconaissance troops in armies and the TG are professional criminals, not spies or scouts. Oh and the Dunmer in Windhelm aren't Thalmor supporters. The stable workers and Niranye are the only Altmer in Windhelm (I believe) and none of them are Thalmor supporters, they're just normal citizens of Skyrim. If the city was attacked I highly doubt they'd side with the Thalmor when their homes and businesses are under threat unless they want them to attack. Besides most Thalmor supporters or soldiers wouldn't choose live in Skyrim.

Oh and if High Hrothgar was attacked the Greybeards would simply defend their monastery with negotiation or force, they wouldn't join the Stormcloaks. And they'd probably do a damn good job at defending the place.

Oh and another thing having about half a dozen people who can Shout in your army doesn't mean you can win a war. Also the coldness of Skyrim makes no difference. Thalmor can just wear something under their armour/robes.

Sorry I have to disagree with you it's all just illogical and stupid IMO but I agree with your choices in that Dragon Break thing

Chryss

as a Redguard that joined the Stormcloaks, I was told that as long as I was willing to bleed and die for Skyrim I would be accepted. He asked me why, I told him "because Skyrim is my home"
Anyone with any sense knows if Skyrim gives up the belief in Talos, whats next, Malakath, Mara, or any of the Divines the Thalmar deem unsuitable for worship. Anyone that lives in Skyrim needs to protect their rights. The Imperials are a bunch of posers. They still worship Talos, in secret. A dark dirty secret. They should realize to fight for your right to worship Talos or anyone, is your right and worth fighting for.

perkecet

the thing is that the stormcloaks arent fighting for tamriel, theyre fighting for skyrim. skyrim could be liberated and become independent without too much problem. but thats where i see it ending. ulfric doesnt want to be part of an empire, he wishes for skyrim to be its own sovereign state. and without the manpower to defend the rest of the continent, half of which the dominion already has control of. it would only be a matter of time before they once again knock on skyrim's southern door and its all over. in my eyes, the only way the dominion will be completely defeated is if ulfric is executed, and the empire retakes control over skyrim. then they can turn their sights toward more important areas of conflict.

EDIT: no other god would be shunned by the dominion since the rest of them all existed before nirn itself. they banned talos worship because he was a man that is worshiped as a god. and as for the imperials, yes, of course they still worship talos. emperor mede has an amulet of talos in his room on his boat for the DB quest. but they knew they had no chance of winning the great war, so instead of being killed they just agreed and saved countless lives. the empire is biding their time until they can attack once again, and ulfric is dooming the entire continent.

ConfusedPenguin

as a Redguard that joined the Stormcloaks, I was told that as long as I was willing to bleed and die for Skyrim I would be accepted. He asked me why, I told him "because Skyrim is my home"
Anyone with any sense knows if Skyrim gives up the belief in Talos, whats next, Malakath, Mara, or any of the Divines the Thalmar deem unsuitable for worship. Anyone that lives in Skyrim needs to protect their rights. The Imperials are a bunch of posers. They still worship Talos, in secret. A dark dirty secret. They should realize to fight for your right to worship Talos or anyone, is your right and worth fighting for.

Ok , now I'm mad.
Almost.

The Empire did fight for the right to worship talos, they lost half of bloody cyrodill and the imperial city in the great war ( and retook it ) they lost thousands of soldiers and refused to surrender for a very long time! If you ask me, they bloody well did fight for Talos.
Also Malacath isn't a divine.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
Daedric I thought the orcs believed ?
He is the Daedric prince that they believe in, but they don't worship the divines. In an orcs eyes Malacath is THE divine and would take great offense to that statement.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts