Nord Refugee Character Diary - Hrisskar III

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BIGwooly

- 5th of Evening Star, 4E 202 -

After making sure the area was clear I decided to grab a few hours of sleep. Fighting through the night really takes it toll. So I made myself semi-comfortable on a forsworn bed and got a few hours of mediocre sleep. With the sun at it's highest point I awoke, ate a decent meal, and then walked up to a door I had found earlier that morning.

The door led to a small room with another door, which would lead to one of the most exhilarating fights I've ever been in.

I threw open the door and found myself gazing upon a room with a large table and a high ceiling. Seated at the table were two witches, and at the end of the table stood a hagraven. They saw me and the witches rose from their seats. What happened next was blur of motions that felt more like my imagination than real life.

With the witches rising to confront me I unleashed a thundering shout and sent all three of my foes into a wall. Plates and cups and bowls flew off of the table like so many leaves in a storm, and I was on the heels of their clatter as they hit the floor. I reached the first witch and killed her with two blows before she could even get to her feet. I turned on the second and two more swings of my mace put this one down as well. I had kept the witch between me and the hagraven to prevent it from attacking me.

And now as the witch fell against my boots I assaulted the disgusting creature. I used my shield first, and followed with a quick strike from my mace. As my second strike flew towards it's target the air around me swirled with a bluish black cloud. Before my mace hit I knew another witch was present and had just summoned an atronach behind me.

But in what seemed like a single fluid movement I killed the hagraven and stepped over the body, sprinting toward a witch that had burst through a nearby door. I ignored the conjured creature behind me, knowing that if I killed the mage then the creature would dissipate. And indeed it did after two more solid hits from my mace easily killed the witch.

I stood there and marveled for a moment. I had just entered the room and killed four times in less than a minute. The whole experience had felt like a single movement, like experiencing an entire song with the pluck of a single string on a lute.

What remained of the ruins was laced with traps several witches, as well as a hagraven that was able to appear and disappear. I avoided the traps and killed the witches and chased the hagraven through the ruins.

And all of this led me to a word wall, where I learned a second word for slowing time. I left the room with the word wall and found myself outside facing the hagraven, who conjured a pair of ice wraiths next to me. I sprinted past them and ran to her. She was out on a lookout ledge, and I suddenly stopped running and instead ... shouted her right off the ledge.

I didn't have time to confirm her death as the ice wraiths set upon me. But I killed them and made my way down the wall to where the hagraven should have landed. But I couldn't find it's body. I looked everywhere.

Night was approaching so I've decided to spend the night here in the forsworn camp. It's a bit unsettling, especially since I never found the hagraven's body, but I'm too tired to try and head all the way back to Solitude in the dark. At that wouldn't be a smart ride to take anyways.

First thing in the morning I leave, and hopefully no later.

TamrielsSavior

The Dark Nord of Helgen
Just turn it off .. 0%. At first it can seem like too much of a challenge, but if you give it time you'll never want to play with it on again. It's awesome without it. d;-)
This has made the biggest difference for me, immersion wise. While sometimes I have no idea where the hell I'm going and get attacked by ice wolves or an ice wraith or something and die, I will never go back!

Sometimes I go into the skills menu after a big fight when the whole screen turns red to see just how close I came to dying. Really makes it epic, and I agree with Silence: BIGWooly you have changed the face of Skyrim for so many people and have opened our eyes to an amazing way of playing. A simple thanks, you rock just doesn't suffice, but THANKS!

YOU ROCK!!!

BIGwooly

This has made the biggest difference for me, immersion wise. While sometimes I have no idea where the hell I'm going and get attacked by ice wolves or an ice wraith or something and die, I will never go back!

Sometimes I go into the skills menu after a big fight when the whole screen turns red to see just how close I came to dying. Really makes it epic, and I agree with Silence: BIGWooly you have changed the face of Skyrim for so many people and have opened our eyes to an amazing way of playing. A simple thanks, you rock just doesn't suffice, but THANKS!

YOU ROCK!!!

For sure! Going into the skills menu after a fight to find you have 20 health left makes the fight you just survived feel uber-epic. And having your screen free of all of the HUD info really just sucks you into Skyrim. Not knowing how close your enemy is to death is a huge immersion factor for me too. When they drop to a knee it's such an amazingly relieving moment and I usually go crazy to kill them right then and there, lol.

And you're more than welcome. I've been playing this way since Morrowind and just assumed lots of people played this way. I'm sure I'm not the first to play like this, but I'm glad I shared the playstyle and that so many of you are enjoying the game so much more now. That's awesome!

BIGwooly

Two new restrictions added.

- must have a hand free to pick anything up
No more looting while holding a shield and a weapon. It just doesn't make sense. Just like it doesn't make sense to somehow drink a potion when your hands are already full.

- may not crouch for unreasonable amounts of time
It struck me a while back that it's too easy to just crouch-walk through an entire dungeon or cave. Imagine trying to do that in real life, while wearing heavy armor. I'm halfway tempted to make a rule that crouching is not even allowed if you're wearing more than a certain weight total of armor. I mean, who is going to be doing a squat and then walk around while wearing a ton of heavy armor?

Kaleia

I'm definitely not the first to say this, I realize, but I'm new here and I joined for one reason - okay, two. First, to tell you that this is an epic idea and you do wonderfully in translating your gameplay to storytelling/journaling. My second reason, to emulate this idea, once I've decided on what tweaks to apply and what my character will be. Thanks - mostly for being awesome.

BIGwooly

I'm definitely not the first to say this, I realize, but I'm new here and I joined for one reason - okay, two. First, to tell you that this is an epic idea and you do wonderfully in translating your gameplay to storytelling/journaling. My second reason, to emulate this idea, once I've decided on what tweaks to apply and what my character will be. Thanks - mostly for being awesome.

Seriously, appreciate the support. That's awesome your'e going to start your own journal! d;-)

shongo3258

Vampire of Skyrim
hmmm it appears I have some sort of bug that makes it so that even though this thread is watched, I get no alerts. No wonder I was worried about Hrisskar

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
Two new restrictions added.

- must have a hand free to pick anything up
No more looting while holding a shield and a weapon. It just doesn't make sense. Just like it doesn't make sense to somehow drink a potion when your hands are already full.

But that's just a matter of sheathing your weapon. A more simple restriction would be "no looting during battle."

I've been using you restriction for a light armored spellsword dark elf. I've had tons of fun, but that build almost requires enchanting for magicka regeneration. I've never dabbled in enchanting, and I would like everyone's opinion about whether or not I should start. I don't want to wind up all overpowered with no-cost magic, but I'm easily sucked into that kinda thing. Opinions are apreciated.

BIGwooly

But that's just a matter of sheathing your weapon. A more simple restriction would be "no looting during battle."

Well, I've never looted during battle and never would. This was more of an immersion rule for non-combat. d;-)

BIGwooly

I've been using you restriction for a light armored spellsword dark elf. I've had tons of fun, but that build almost requires enchanting for magicka regeneration. I've never dabbled in enchanting, and I would like everyone's opinion about whether or not I should start. I don't want to wind up all overpowered with no-cost magic, but I'm easily sucked into that kinda thing. Opinions are apreciated.

I wish I could give you some advice but I haven't used enchanting at all. I may in the future with another character, but everything I've read online seems to point to how overpowered it is. Maybe you could use enchanting but just not apply any perks to it? Or you can only enchant certain items or use certain enchantments?

shongo3258

Vampire of Skyrim
Well your not going to get super overpowered unless you really level up your enchanting but personally its my favorite of the three creation skills (alchemy, smithing, enchanting) It is even cooler that it lets you name you weapons and gear.

Well your not going to get super overpowered unless you really level up your enchanting but personally its my favorite of the three creation skills (alchemy, smithing, enchanting) It is even cooler that it lets you name you weapons and gear.
So I've heard. Now it's just a matter of finding something with magicka regen on it. :)

BIGwooly

- 6th of Evening Star, 4E 202 -

After a short trip back to Solitude to sell a few things and pick up some food, I headed out for Whiterun. The goal was to reach Whiterun in a day, Ivarstead in another day, and then be at the Throat of the World on the third day. It's time to confront Alduin.

I made it all the way to Rorikstead without incident. Well, I had to evade a few sabre cats and dash past a fort full of bandits, but other than that .. without incident. But the moment I arrived in Rorikstead so did a dragon. A very powerful fire-breathing dragon.

With the help of the local stormcloak guard I took the dragon down. Somehow we managed to defeat the dragon without it killing anyone. I count our blessing and praise the nines for that.

After that the rest of my ride to Whiterun was easy enough. I evaded several more sabre cats, as well as another dragon, and arrived here in the late of evening. Tomorrow I ride to Ivarstead.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts