Just cant continue Mage.....

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

XhoppX

yeah i just joined...I am leaning away from magic for my DB assassinations...im dual wielding elven daggers for those up close and personal executions

Necromis

I actually like the conjured sword and bow from the conjuration tree,and with the mystic perk you are at daedric level early on. I am actully thinking of running a sneak assassin that carries no weapons and just the conjured ones. I just think it would be so cool to run around wearing the DB or Nightingale armour with a phantom looking quiver on my back.

BSE

I did the College quest at around level 10 and I was fine. You definitely want to do that quest as you get some pretty good items at the end, mainly the arch mage robes.

Im about level 30 now. Ive basically been building on my destruction, conjuration, and restoration. Atronachs distracting the enemies while dual casting firebolts/fireballs usually gets the job done. I have an enchanted short sword in case the enemy gets through all of that. The only alteration spell Ive ever used is Transmute, so I dont really feel a need for that as Ive had no problem with wearing robes instead of armor.

Once I get to a higher level, Ill save some perks and level enchanting and light armor so I can try to get robe abilities on a good set of armor.

Wraith

@Dark Brotherhood: After you join them, look on the shelf behind the leader. There is a set of Mage DB gear there.

@Illusion Magic: Illusion took me forever to figure out, but it was on a thief who wanted to expand his skillset, It's a support magic that is best used in conjunction with sneak skills. If you plan on using it at all, you have to pick up Dual casting IMMEDIATELY though as it will double the max level that illusions work on.
Frenzy: works up to level 6 normally, up to level 12 dual casted. The trick on this one is to use it from the shadows. Imagine two bandits, you hit one with frenzy and he will attempt to kill his buddy. One of them will die and the other one will be heavily wounded. All the while they are not actually detecting you, which adds to your Sneak skill.
Calm: Prevents an enemy from attacking you, allowing you to move in easily for the backstab. This can also prevent an enemy from pursuing you.
Fear: Frenzy and Calm are good to use in stealth to control the situation, however Fear is best used when things go sideways. A well timed fear spell can either turn a "2 on 1" into a "1 on 1", or it can buy you time to heal up if you take too much damage. If you use Destruction or Archery you can range them to death as they run away too. Doing this with melee is a bit of a pain, but works better if you use a "Slow" poison or "Slow Time Shout". This is commonly called "Fear Kiting" in other games.

The big trick I learned is that Illusion almost needs to be dual cast to land the effect (max level x2) as you will likely outlevel the single cast effect long before the perks become available.

One of my upcoming characters is planning on being Bow/Sneak/Illusion/Alteration. I'm not sure if the next one will be that or Heavy Armor/Destruction magic. I try to keep my designs so that I use different "guardian stones" for offense and defense, allowing me let one rank up faster if it falls behind. Nothing worse than realizing that your defense didnt keep pace with your offense.

Nightmare Shadow

Master of Shadow
I've found mage to be just as destructive as my warrior build. I have max in conjuration, illusion, and enchanting. All I do is conjure two thralls (they stay with me until they die, there is no time limit) and they seem to be able to handle everything so far. If my opponent gets behind them and close to me I blast them with destruction magicka. Starting off though, my mage sucked (I've tried many times and so conjuration was my focal point for starting off).

ftl

Maybe if you're playing on Master difficulty, then Mages are underpowered, but on Adept and Expert they're fine. My character is a destruction/conjuration mage - shoot lots of lightning bolts while your atronach takes the damage. With a little bit of restoration to help heal. Didn't take any of the crafting specialties.

Having a meat shield helps that build a lot, since the mage is pretty squishy and dies in one lucky hit or a few unlucky ones.

There were a few difficult points, but you can get through them. Early on, when you only have like 'flames' or something, it's sort of hard. Things get easier once you get a summon, like a zombie or an atronach; make them take and deal damage while you stay out of harms way and cast whatever you want. Then as enemies get harder, the game gets harder again; ...but when you get the perk that lets dual-cast destruction spells stagger people, it gets easy again when you can stunlock enemies. Gets hard again later, as your enemies get better and your destruction spells don't do enough damage; but then at the end of the skill trees when you can summon Dremora lords it gets easy again.

Don't feel like you have to grind to play a good mage.

Necromis

Am I correct and the necromantic path leads you to daedra and the summonor leads you to antirochs? I know I probably hosed both spellings. LOL

Nightmare Shadow

Master of Shadow
Necromancy paths just deal with duration and increased health for raised zombies, and summoner just allows you to summon atronochs further away. I don't see the point in investing two perk points into summoner (never had the need to summon a creature that far away from me.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
plus the very fact that you can make destruction cost you 0 magick even with casting mastery spells.

Can somebody explain how to achieve this?

Nightmare Shadow

Master of Shadow
Get 100 in enchanting. Fortify destruction (should be 25% less mana) on ring, headgear, necklace, and body. I currently have my mage set up so casting incinerate casts 2 mana points.

BSE

Necromancy paths just deal with duration and increased health for raised zombies, and summoner just allows you to summon atronochs further away. I don't see the point in investing two perk points into summoner (never had the need to summon a creature that far away from me.
Same here. One point into Summoner just so you can get to the next perk (stonger Atronachs I believe).

Nightmare Shadow

Master of Shadow
That's exactly it. My second favorite perk of the Conjuration skill, two souls being my first favorite.

BSE

Im curious though. I havent gotten to that perk (about 5 Conj levels away). It says 50% stronger...does that mean damage dealt, health, or everything?

Nightmare Shadow

Master of Shadow
I believe their health increases, and strength increases. It's worth it though, now any frost troll or bear has to get through my frost thralls (which they can't) if they want to deal with my mage.

Nightmare Shadow

Master of Shadow
Yeah, that's how my mage rolls. If they are killed, I blast the opposition with incinerate and (if I need to) run away, then resummon my thralls, then wait 2 seconds for magicka to be restored, and then finally go back to fighting/exploring etc.

Suicide Puppy

My Echanted Gear Looks like this
White Chefs Apron 25% Destruction, 15% Conjuration and 10% Mana Regen
White Chefs Hat 25% Destruction, 25% Illusion
Necklace 25% Destruction, 25% Illusion
Ring 25% Destruction, 25% Illusion

I have around 330 Mana

I get one shotted by ancient dragons all the time so my shout is usually on Become Etheral.

Also I put destruction Perks into Frost magic and not fire or lighting because dual casting Ice Storm will ruin almost everyone's day and it passes through those falmer huts like they werent there.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts