Is it OK to destroy a Jarl's (enchanted) Thane gift?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

TGW

I just received an enchanted gift that I don't need from Jarl Balgruuf in Whiterun. He told me that it will identify me to everyone in town as the Thane.

I don't plan on using it so would there be any repercussions from destroying it so I can learn the enchantment?

Thanks for your help!

TheGrinningWolf

TGW

Thank you Mr C! When you disenchant a weapon, I believe it destroys it in the process. Thanks for confirming that there are no repercussions (I take it that that's what you meant).

TGW

Whew! :p

I was concerned about not being considered as the Thane anymore. I'm trying to save up 5K for that house so I can bed my housecarl!:D

TGW

Indeed! I'm quite sick of running out of space, especially thanks to all of the stolen stuff I can't sell to anyone yet.

MrCostari

Yeah, either you can invest in the Speech skill tree, or sell them to some guys of the Thieves guild.
Not sure if you need to join the Thieves guild for that.

Reiji

Dark Mage of Clan Thu'um
Yeah, either you can invest in the Speech skill tree, or sell them to some guys of the Thieves guild.
Not sure if you need to join the Thieves guild for that.
You have to atleast do the 1st mission for Brynjolf after you get to him in the Ragged Flagon to be able to sell stolen goods to the Thieves Guild Fence.

Hygelac7

I second Mr. C's specific suggestion to disenchant the weapon. I imagine you would agree, Mr. C., that disenchanting an item is almost always the best course of action if you don't plan to use it. If you're really strapped for cash, sell it. However, disenchanting means you learn the enchantment permanently (if you already know the enchantment you can't learn it again, so that's the time to turn it over for cash), and it also increases your enchanting skill, which in turn helps you level up.

Hope that gives a heads up for character planning!

MrCostari

I second Mr. C's specific suggestion to disenchant the weapon. I imagine you would agree, Mr. C., that disenchanting an item is almost always the best course of action if you don't plan to use it. If you're really strapped for cash, sell it. However, disenchanting means you learn the enchantment permanently (if you already know the enchantment you can't learn it again, so that's the time to turn it over for cash), and it also increases your enchanting skill, which in turn helps you level up.

Hope that gives a heads up for character planning!
Yes ofcourse!
Enchanted weapons have a high value, hence why I mostly sell them, unless I want to enchant them later on!
For example, if you use melee only, why would you disenchant a enchanted archery item? ;)

Hygelac7

Yes ofcourse!
Enchanted weapons have a high value, hence why I mostly sell them, unless I want to enchant them later on!
For example, if you use melee only, why would you disenchant a enchanted archery item? ;)
You would disenchant it because disenchanting anything increases your enchanting skill. There's plenty of money in the game, you might as well learn every enchantment in the game. Once you learn that enchantment, every time you encounter that specific enchantment again, you can just sell it. Learning an enchantment is a one time thing. After that, sell. But you might as well learn it first...

Even if your character doesn't use archery, for example, you can still increase your enchanting skill (even if you never plan to use enchanting, it helps you level up), and perhaps you might later want to enchant an archery item for a follower who is an expert archer(i.e. Aela).....:)

TGW

Not sure, I don't go there anymore. :p You should check out the Riverwood Trader exploit. (12k gold)

12K exploit?! Wow! Can you point me to where I can read about it? Thanks!

MrCostari

You would disenchant it because disenchanting anything increases your enchanting skill. There's plenty of money in the game, you might as well learn every enchantment in the game. Once you learn that enchantment, every time you encounter that specific enchantment again, you can just sell it. Learning an enchantment is a one time thing. After that, sell. But you might as well learn it first...

Even if your character doesn't use archery, for example, you can still increase your enchanting skill (even if you never plan to use enchanting, it helps you level up), and perhaps you might later want to enchant an archery item for a follower who is an expert archer(i.e. Aela).....:)
Hmm that is a great idea! Thanks!

Dragon Bourne

Long Live Paarthurnax!
While yes, they are typically useless weapons they give you (at least so far), I have taken to displaying them in my homes as trophies.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts