Imperials or Stormcloaks, what one?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
I will make love to a staunch Imperial supporter here just to keep the peace. Lets knock off with the insults already and get back to the debate :)

This thread is suppose to be for fun; to debate fictional politics, not to be taken serious.

Stare at this elegant scene for an hour to liquidate all of the negative energy around you :)

Ozan

the Magnificent Bastard
I will make love to a staunch Imperial supporter here just to keep the peace. Lets knock off with the insults already and get back to the debate :)

This thread is suppose to be for fun; to debate fictional politics, not to be taken serious.

Stare at this elegant scene for an hour to liquidate all of the negative energy around you :)

Perhaps the Raijin would be willing to make sweet love to Khajiit as well? *wink*

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
.... Ulfric was tortured to near death by the thalmor
This is not a fact. Uflric was captured and interrogated by the Thalmor during the Great War. While we can assume that he was tortured as part of the interrogation, there's nothing in the Thalmor Dossier on him that details the level of torture used, and it's implied in the same dossier that they intentionally let him go for future use as an asset which doesn't really support the idea that they would have tortured him to the point of death.
.... the same thalmor your imperials are puppets to
This is mere opinion and pointlessly undermines any argument you attempt to make by needlessly expressing bias.
.... Ulfric is merely a victim and longs for justice, see..
This also is mere opinion and a poorly supported conclusion by the one distorted fact presented. The single act of his torture over 20 years ago at the hands of the Thalmor doesn't make him a victim in the civil war. He deliberately triggers the war by killing the High King. He's not an idiot. His dialogues show that he knew what the result would be and his intention to wage war until the Moot is essentially controlled by him.
.... if you read some of those books and journals instead of just collecting them to continue the quest you can learn key points to the story and get an understanding of who's right and who's wrong. ;)
In point of fact most of the books found in Skyrim predate ES V, and very few of the books that are introduced into the Elder Scrolls universe are relevant to understanding the background for the civil war. For someone who didn't even know about one of those few books until this past weekend, you don't inspire confidence in anyone about your understanding of the background of the civil war based on lore documents found in the game.

The key lore document introduced is the book The Great War, which is why it's been cited ad nauseum in this thread. There are also books about the Blades and the Thalmor that provide some insight and the aforementioned Thalmor Dossiers and reports. Beyond that there are no lore docuemts that are particularly informative on the background of the civil war. The concept of right and wrong is always going to boil down to personal opinion because the civil war is a matter designed to be morally ambiguous. The value of an opinion though is going to be based on how informed it is by facts and so far you haven't really made a case.
....your imperials wish to ban the common religious practices in skyrim
This is an extremely overbroad and inaccurate statement. Nord religion predates Talos's apotheosis by thousands of years and they're free to worship that pantheon under the laws of the Empire. Imperial law bans the worship of Talos but the reason why it does so is so clearly conveyed throughout the game in multiple ways that you have to be wilfully deaf and blind to infer it's something it does out of an actual desire to do so.
.... "it even says this on the loading screen sometimes ffs!"
There is no such loading screen. The closest approximation of this is "Talos is the hero-god of mankind. His worship is currently banned by the Empire, but that hasn't stopped the Nords of Skyrim from revering him." That's a far cry from a loading screen that states that the Empire wishes to ban common religious practices in Skyrim. So far you're batting 0 for 2 here.
.... so by calling them the "honorable hero's" in all of this you're basically saying that freedom of religion is wrong and shouldn't be allowed.. .
While I don't call the Imperial Legion of Skyrim honorable heroes, equivocating support of them to saying freedom of religion is wrong is a logical fallacy. People do in fact support causes where they don't agree with certain aspects of the cause but find other aspects of it compelling. If you look at the realm of politics this is readily apparent. By way of example the fact that people voted Barack Obama back into office can hardly be taken soberly as a mandate for all his policies, but clearly immigration was such a compelling factor for some conservative Hispanic voters that they supported his re-election even though they may have disagreed with his fiscal and social policies.
.... the stormcloaks follow Ulfric because his motives are there own, they wish to "fight back" at the thalmor who wish to conquer all of skyrim and make slaves of all nords, and that is also why they're at war with your precious legion
The former part fo this statement may be a fact but it doesn't support the latter part of the statement. The Imperial Legion are not the Thalmor.
.... because the imperial army "unlike the stormies" are cowards
This is mere opinion and, again, a pointless and self-defeating expression of bias. The one small kernel of fact asserted before doesn't support this conclusion. 0 for 3.
....you damn right Ulfric murdered the previous high king! he was yet another thalmor puppet who needed to be removed from power before all of skyrim became thalmor ruled territory...
This is not an expression of fact. Again, it's a self-serving expression of mere opinion (a pattern begins to form)
....in fact you could even say that by doing this Ulfric was trying to PREVENT the war before it started...
This conclusion, again unsupported by facts, is totally absurd on it's face. It equates to stating that Ulfric started the war to prevent it as his dialogues show that killing the High King is all part of a plan to overthrow the Jarls that don't support him through civil war.
....the stormcloaks are NOT racist ffs! this is the simplest to debunk, if it were so then why is windhelm full of elves?...
Windhelm is not particularly relevant to assessing whether the Stormcloaks are racist. It is relevant to showing Uflric's treatment of the Dunmer is racist. That's why Bethesda places so many in Windhelm and segregated them under the law of Windhelm. Windhelm is also relevant to showing an even uglier form of racism from those who support the Stormcloaks such as Rolff Stone-Fist. There is actually nothing in the game that indicates that the Stormcloaks themselves are racist but it's understandable why some players choose to believe they are based on these two factors and the fact that the Stormcloaks are a nativist movement, and that racism has been a common aspect of many if not most nativist movements throughout history.
.... and don't give me the excuse about how "they treat them badly" an all that shiz cause they do the same damn thing in imperial cities...
This is total falsehood. Windhelm is the only settlement in all of Skyrim that has actual racial segregation policies. There wasn't a single city in Cyrodiil where a particular race was singled out for negative treatement by law in ES IV. 0 for 4.

In actuality there are almost no facts asserted in your post and none that support the conclusions that you make. In keeping with the baseball metaphor, you have no hits, plenty of strikes, and no balls.

ShangTsung

you hypocrites are going to disagree with everything i say regardless of how much proof i provide so i dunno what to tell yall... oh and Dagmar- i'm seeing a pattern of you always having an excuse for every fact you try to disprove and seem to think if you use big intelligent sounding words that will be proof enough, yea you're not that hard to figure out.. do yourselves a favor and stop trying to act smart, seriously its embarrassing to watch, regardless of how many trolls you may have kissing your ass..
in any event i'm done with this site, one day i may return if i need any advice of a glitch or something but you guys are impossible to talk to, disagreeing with someone just for the sake of disagreeing with them, thats the kinda thing school children do.. anyways i'm sorry for anyone's feelings i may have hurt but ffs man i have feelings too, nvm.. it was nice meeting some of yall at least. tc

thatwudbryan

yet another skyrim enthusiast
Regardless of the Stormcloaks lack of outside reinforcements and resources, I'd Still have Ulfric leading the charge against the Thalmor, without doubt. Tulius and his boys can't even handle the Stormcloaks themselves let alone the Thalmor, it'd just be round two of the beat down they got last time.

Delusional

Connoisseur of Hallucinations
you hypocrites are going to disagree with everything i say regardless of how much proof i provide so i dunno what to tell yall... oh and Dagmar- i'm seeing a pattern of you always having an excuse for every fact you try to disprove and seem to think if you use big intelligent sounding words that will be proof enough, yea you're not that hard to figure out.. do yourselves a favor and stop trying to act smart, seriously its embarrassing to watch, regardless of how many trolls you may have kissing your ass..
in any event i'm done with this site, one day i may return if i need any advice of a glitch or something but you guys are impossible to talk to, disagreeing with someone just for the sake of disagreeing with them, thats the kinda thing school children do.. anyways i'm sorry for anyone's feelings i may have hurt but ffs man i have feelings too, nvm.. it was nice meeting some of yall at least. tc

The pattern with Dagmar is that she repeatedly showcases a knowledge of legitimate facts of which she uses to counter your opinionated statements, which happen to not have any foundation lore-wise.

Dagmar is not "trying to act smart", she is just goddamned smart. If you were able to read, you would be able to understand how she completely obliterated your entire argument.

We do not "disagree just for the sake of disagreeing", we are disagreeing because our views on the matter are different, and we also have factual evidence to support our views. If you have such a problem with others not sharing your views, maybe you shouldn't have involved yourself in this thread... just a thought.

Goodbye :) It was a pleasure debating with you.

wave2.gif

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Are you telling me that once Ulfric Stormcloak dies and becomes a pruned draugr that he will become a restless zombie as a punishment from Kyne for abusing his shout? If Ulfric did truly pissed off the Nordic goddess Kyne then how come when he dies he goes straight to Sovngarde for his final resting place and not in Oblivion? Knye couldn't be that pissed off at Ulfric if she allows him to enter a Nordic heaven. What are some of the physical impacts that was caused by Kyne for being pissed off at Ulfric for breaking this code of conduct "The way of the voice" after killing High King Torygg?

No. Draugr have nothing to do with Kyne, I was using Draugr as an example as to why having the ability to shout doesn't make you a super good type, fighting evil etc etc. Though Draugr are apparently cursed to never rest.

Pissing off Kyne is continued misuse of the way of the voice. The last Nordic army to follow users of the voice were annihilated and the Way of the Voice was born. There are really no happy endings to anyone who uses the voice for personal gain, they all meet some kind of punishment, every recorded instance except the one for a time of true need to do with Alduin hasn't met a good end.

You don't understand how Nordic 'Heaven' works, it doesn't matter what you do in life, only how you face your death. You could be a thief, a dishonorable murderer and still gain entry to Sovngarde. Doesn't matter what you have done in life, Ulfric can do whatever he wants, slaughter innocents in Markarth, kill the High King with the Voice, break the Way of to Voice with violence etc. He can still go to Sovngarde. The first person who pissed off Kyne and had his army destroyed is in Sovngarde also.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I disagree docta. Why should we wasteour time on someone who disagrees with actuary lore and then ignore your posts and in the end accuse you of forging lore. Which reminds me..... don't tell them about our super secret rings

MW-banner-Imperial.png
Ordo Legionis
So that we may hide lore.
So that secrets remain deleted.
So that enemies may never harm us.
So that the Legion remains untainted.
Long live the Empire.

Dark Assassin

Obsessed with the aldmeri dominion
Many have sided with the stormcloaks because they think the empire is falling apart, surrendering to the elves and all that stuff. Well lets look at a few points shall we?

1: the empire is not falling apart, would you save your people by signing a treaty or let them all die?
2: The Aldmeri Dominion attacked the imperial city, thus starting a war. But the empire stood strong and with the help of the redguards, the Dominion lost.
3: There was only a small detachment sent to skyrim from the empire so there was no way for the legion in skyrim to fend off the elves
4: The legion is planning to win the war and make themselves stronger, and then strike the Dominion. Resulting in the elves' defeat and Skyrim free from the Thalmor's control

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
Are you telling me that once Ulfric Stormcloak dies and becomes a pruned draugr that he will become a restless zombie as a punishment from Kyne for abusing his shout? If Ulfric did truly pissed off the Nordic goddess Kyne then how come when he dies he goes straight to Sovngarde for his final resting place and not in Oblivion? Knye couldn't be that pissed off at Ulfric if she allows him to enter a Nordic heaven. What are some of the physical impacts that was caused by Kyne for being pissed off at Ulfric for breaking this code of conduct "The way of the voice" after killing High King Torygg?

The way I see Kyne punishes you in life. Tiber Septim lost his Voice, Jurgen Windcaller lost the war, and Ulfric Stormcloak lost his war, his head and his body was placed in a funny position.

Epic Keith

does-your-butt-hurt.jpg

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
Perhaps the Raijin would be willing to make sweet love to Khajiit as well? *wink*

That's just wrong on so many levels. I'm just not into the furry scene.

No Khajiit love making, sorry.

tumblr_m89m0w1OMx1rtirpmo1_500.jpg

No. Draugr have nothing to do with Kyne, I was using Draugr as an example as to why having the ability to shout doesn't make you a super good type, fighting evil etc etc. Though Draugr are apparently cursed to never rest.
Pissing off Kyne is continued misuse of the way of the voice. The last Nordic army to follow users of the voice were annihilated and the Way of the Voice was born. There are really no happy endings to anyone who uses the voice for personal gain, they all meet some kind of punishment, every recorded instance except the one for a time of true need to do with Alduin hasn't met a good end.

You don't understand how Nordic 'Heaven' works, it doesn't matter what you do in life, only how you face your death. You could be a thief, a dishonorable murderer and still gain entry to Sovngarde. Doesn't matter what you have done in life, Ulfric can do whatever he wants, slaughter innocents in Markarth, kill the High King with the Voice, break the Way of to Voice with violence etc. He can still go to Sovngarde. The first person who pissed off Kyne and had his army destroyed is in Sovngarde also.

This is my agnostic brain speaking but If Ulfric is truly abusing the voice by “Murdering” the high King and murdered a bunch of innocent people in Markarth then apparently Kyne is a type of goddess that doesn't simply give a plops what goes on in mortal affairs. She hasn't yet punished Ulfric Stormcloak for “abusing” his tongue. When will Ulfric be punished by Kyne? If you side with the Imperials don't tell me that it was all Kyne's “plan” to punish him by telling Tullius to kill him because I find that to be ridiculous.

The moral of the situation is Kyne is like the honey badger... she doesn't give a plops.

The way I see Kyne punishes you in life. Tiber Septim lost his Voice, Jurgen Windcaller lost the war, and Ulfric Stormcloak lost his war, his head and his body was placed in a funny position.

Not good enough. Just because Septim made a lot of enemies, and almost got assassinated doesn't mean that it was all part of Kyne's plan to punish him. Jurgen Windcaller lost the war because he wasn't strong enough and decided to go emo. He founded the EMO group call the Greybeards where they isolate themselves up in their castle casting their tongue at the world and pray while Alduin is busy eating villagers among other things. Shame on the Greybeards. Shame on them.

Ivory

Let's Player
No Khajiit love making, sorry.

RACIST

I kid of course, felt like being silly. Moving on~

Not good enough. Just because Septim made a lot of enemies, and almost got assassinated doesn't mean that it was all part of Kyne's plan to punish him. Jurgen Windcaller lost the war because he wasn't strong enough and decided to go emo. He founded the EMO group call the Greybeards where they isolate themselves up in their castle casting their tongue at the world and pray while Alduin is busy eating villagers among other things. Shame on the Greybeards. Shame on them.

Septim doesn't count imo since even the Greybeards say "The Dragonborn is an exception to all the rules." They believe in that if they accept one gift, they should not abandon another, which the Dragonborn is Akatosh's doing. Not kyne's. also, wind caller didnt go emo. Being alone to look at yourself and rediscover who you are as a person is a normal thing to do. (Not to mention astounding in my eyes for a Nord to do.) You can't shun the greybeards for accepting what Kyne blessed man with. If Kyne didn't give a damn, she wouldn't have gifted mortals with the dragon tongue to begin with. We all know Alduin can't be slain by mortals, only the Dragonborn can slay Alduin.

What's more effective for the greybeards? To be in seclusion with Paarthurnax and train the Dragonborn to fight Alduin, or to be far too busy helping with a stupid war or fighting dragons who don't lose their soul? Even though the greybeards can easily kill dragons, nothing would stop Alduin from flying by and saying "Slen, Tiid, Vo!" And bringing that same dragon back to life to fight again. No, they are far more important to the safety of mortal kind to stay on the Throat of the World and teach the Dragonborn their power and experiences.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Regardless of the Stormcloaks lack of outside reinforcements and resources, I'd Still have Ulfric leading the charge against the Thalmor, without doubt. Tulius and his boys can't even handle the Stormcloaks themselves let alone the Thalmor, it'd just be round two of the beat down they got last time.

Tullius' "boys" are Auxiliaries who are locally recruited from Skyrim's local population, they aren't highly trained, so they're basically on par with the Stormcloaks. He isn't getting much outside reinforcements and resources, he also had Ulfric in a cart on the way to lose his head. The reason the Imperials are having trouble dealing with the Civil War is because the Thalmor themselves are providing indirect aid and keeping Ulfric Stormcloak alive. If anything since Ulfric is having trouble dealing with poorly trained and low equipped Auxiliary Legions, how would he defeat the highly trained armies of the Aldmeri Dominion? They are one of the only forces on Nirn that have been able to wipe out entire Legions.

I also wouldn't say they're having too much trouble, I see Stormcloak prisoners along the roads quite often.

The true Legionnaires are all within Cyrodiil's borders, the Civil War in Skyrim is but a little side show before the main event against the Thalmor resumes. The Empire didn't get a beat down last time, they won but were unable to keep fighting. They wiped out every single Aldmeri within Cyrodiil, the Thalmor General was kept hanging alive for thirty three days off the White-Gold Tower.

During the Great War the Empire was doing quite well, they had lost the Imperial City and were offered peace but rejected it and won the battle. It was just the Empire couldn't take the war beyond it's own borders, their intelligence force had been wiped out and they were effectively blind to all outside Cyrodiil. To defeat the Aldmeri Dominion you need to cut off it's head, which is Summerset Isles.

I wouldn't want Ulfric leading a charge against anything, he cares for songs and personal glory, not how many die to obtain it. The more Nords that die in the 'charge' the better the song no doubt.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Emperor Mede surveys the troops escorted by General Tullius and the Penitus Oculatus..

palpatine1.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Meanwhile the Stormcloaks prepare for more guerilla warfare....

star_wars_ewoks.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
This is my agnostic brain speaking but If Ulfric is truly abusing the voice by “Murdering” the high King and murdered a bunch of innocent people in Markarth then apparently Kyne is a type of goddess that doesn't simply give a pl*** what goes on in mortal affairs. She hasn't yet punished Ulfric Stormcloak for “abusing” his tongue. When will Ulfric be punished by Kyne? If you side with the Imperials don't tell me that it was all Kyne's “plan” to punish him by telling Tullius to kill him because I find that to be ridiculous.

The moral of the situation is Kyne is like the honey badger... she doesn't give a pl***.

I find it strange you claim to support Nordic traditions, yet you bash real Nordic Gods and ancient Nordic groups.

You dislike just about everything to do with the Nords and fight to defend what the Imperials have brought. You're going to love Skyrim after Stormcloak victory when all Imperial influence is removed and you're stuck in a land full of everything you dislike and get to sit around waiting for like like fifty or a hundred years as Skyrim rebuilds for a war that probably would be over by the time they're ready.

"We finally did it! Rebuilt Skyrim and our army is ready, time to go on the offensive... What do you mean the war with the Thalmor is over?"

Epic Keith

Tullius' "boys" are Auxiliaries who are locally recruited from Skyrim's local population, they aren't highly trained, so they're basically on par with the Stormcloaks. He isn't getting much outside reinforcements and resources, he also had Ulfric in a cart on the way to lose his head. The reason the Imperials are having trouble dealing with the Civil War is because the Thalmor themselves are providing indirect aid and keeping Ulfric Stormcloak alive. If anything since Ulfric is having trouble dealing with poorly trained and low equipped Auxiliary Legions, how would he defeat the highly trained armies of the Aldmeri Dominion? They are one of the only forces on Nirn that have been able to wipe out entire Legions.

I also wouldn't say they're having too much trouble, I see Stormcloak prisoners along the roads quite often.

The true Legionnaires are all within Cyrodiil's borders, the Civil War in Skyrim is but a little side show before the main event against the Thalmor resumes. The Empire didn't get a beat down last time, they won but were unable to keep fighting. They wiped out every single Aldmeri within Cyrodiil, the Thalmor General was kept hanging alive for thirty three days off the White-Gold Tower.

During the Great War the Empire was doing quite well, they had lost the Imperial City and were offered peace but rejected it and won the battle. It was just the Empire couldn't take the war beyond it's own borders, their intelligence force had been wiped out and they were effectively blind to all outside Cyrodiil. To defeat the Aldmeri Dominion you need to cut off it's head, which is Summerset Isles.

I wouldn't want Ulfric leading a charge against anything, he cares for songs and personal glory, not how many die to obtain it. The more Nords that die in the 'charge' the better the song no doubt.

The Legate in Morthal says something about it too. That they were having problems with recruitment from Cyrodiil so they had to recruit locally.

By the way, is it just me or have I just read this for the tenth time? Stormy skulls are too thick to pierce!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts