Immortal Words - Saurano Direnni

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BIGwooly

Temple Sewers - Unknown

Well that went surprisingly well. Before I moved in on the lichs I used my amulet of shadows, my belt of protection, and took both magic and shock resistance potions. Lichs are known for using powerful shock magic.

As soon as I was nearly invisible I ran into the room, and then dropped into a crouch behind the first lich. I stabbed him squarely in the back, and he fell to the ground wounded and stunned. I finished him off with two more strikes before he could get back to his feet. I did the same for each of the other three lichs, and the whole attack was over in less than a minute. I had been certain this was going to be a very dangerous fight, but to my relief it was like killing rats. I'm wishing I hadn't used my powerful potions now.

Pressing onward ...

BIGwooly

Temple Sewers - Unknown

They neglected to tell me that when I found the artifact, Barilzar's ring, it would be on Barilzar himself. When I saw his undead form coming toward me out of the shadows I froze and felt fear well up inside me. The apparition was coming right towards me, and I hadn't prepared for a fight. The sewers are so dark I can barely see my hand in front of my face, so I never saw him until it was too late to retreat. I'd carry a torch, but that would just make me a target for every evil thing down here.

I waited and held my breath, hoping that the spirit would turn and give me the chance to retreat. But it didn't, and when I knew it had spotted me I rose to charge it. I was in mid-thrust when everything went black. It was already very dark in this particular crypt passage, but when I say everything went black I mean I could see nothing. Not even the edge of my helmet by my eyes.

In a panic I swung wildly, and managed to hit absolutely nothing. Nothing but damp air in front of me. It took me a moment to realize I couldn't move either. My legs were like massive lead bars, locked into the ground. I was blinded and unable to move, and it was the most helpless I've ever felt.

And then I felt the life leaving me. Through some perverse magic the ancient spirit was draining my life away, bit by bit. Luckily I still had the use of my hands, and was able to take a health potion to fight back against the dark spell.

And then suddenly my sight returned and my legs came back to me and I was standing right in front of the foul creature, his rotting breath making my stomach turn. The sudden sight of him startled me, but I recovered from my shock and drew my sword back and charged at him. And once again my world went black.

I panicked a bit again, but for a different reason this time. The first time I simply had no idea what was happening. I didn't realize a powerful spell had been cast on me. But this second time, my fear was less about the affliction and more about how long this fiend could keep it up. In this condition I was unable to attack him, and although I had a healthy supply of potions, they wouldn't keep me alive indefinitely. His other dark magic was ensuring that.

My sight came back, and once again I could move. But just as before, my eyes were shut and my legs immobilized before I could do anything. And then I heard the sound of a very large sword being drawn .. the metal on metal echoing in the dank passage. I wanted to scream out, my frustration and fear taking over me. I stabbed wildly into the darkness, hitting nothing. But I heard the unmistakable sound of another sword slicing through the air, and it slammed into my right shoulder. I nearly dropped my sword from the power of the blow. Just in time I recovered, and found a health potion to save me from the next blow that crashed into me.

This was truly a dire situation. I've been in fights where I was immobilized, but not being able to see was a very scary feeling. The only blessing was that I was not entirely paralyzed, which allowed me to continue drinking health potions. But at this rate I was going to run out in fairly short order. Each blow from the massive sword was taking an incredible toll on me.

Finally my eyes returned to me again, and Barilzar stood directly in front of me. I drew back a deep strike, and let it fly. The strike was so hard it knocked the foulness to the ground, and I set about to hacking at it with much haste. My strikes were true and quick, and I did a great deal of damage in the time I had. When he rose to face me again I could tell he was weak, so I prepared and unleashed another power attack and it struck him to the ground .. permanently.

I was breathing heavily, not just from effort, but from the severity of the situation I had been in. If my first attack hadn't grounded the ancient spirit, I might have never prevailed in the fight. And now that I have the cursed ring I need to have some words with Fedris.

AS88

Staff member
*wipes brow with relief*

BIGwooly

Mournhold - Evening

With Balizar's ring in hand I readily left his tomb. I was forced to leave behind his massive daedric sword. It was simply too heavy to carry. It weighed nearly as much as I do. I don't even want to think about how much a smith would have paid for it.

When I returned to the temple I was instructed to take the ring to Almalexia herself. Certainly I was not expecting to ever meet her, and certainly not on this day. But that's how it was, and I entered the high temple and saw her for the first time. My eyes fell on her first, as anyone would expect, but I quickly noticed the bodyguards surrounding her. The Hands of Almalexia. The most feared warriors in Mournhold, and perhaps Morrowind. Their armor gleamed with powerful enchantments I could only imagine.

Almalexia herself is intimidating as well. Her reddish glow and her confident tone demand your full attention. I asked her what she wanted with the ring, but she curtly informed me it was none of my business. I expected nothing less, but it didn't hurt to ask ... fortunately.

Before I left I asked her a bit about the king and his mother, to get a feel for her position in the politics of things. If nothing else, it would be valuable information to take back to the king's captain, and hopefully gain my audience with the king finally. Her position was sterile, but strong. Anyone paying close attention could determine that she has no intention of letting the king disrupt the temple's power in Mournhold.

I fear there may be a conflict between the king and the temple before I can complete my task.

BIGwooly

Mournhold - Night

I'm back in Godsreach with a full belly and a comfortable mattress under me. I need to get some rest before I go see the king's captain. I felt like doing some reading before I fell asleep, and so I looked through the library of books the brother wizards left behind for me. At first I wasn't finding anything that interested me, but then I spotted a book laying on a shelf by itself ... "Legions of the Dead".

I picked it up and cracked it open and was settled on it from the opening sentence. Undead commonly occur in three basic types: spirit, flesh, and fleshless. It seems an apt tome to look through given my past several weeks. If anything, I'll probably wish I'd discovered it sooner.

BIGwooly

Mournhold - Midday

What just happened, I can't really say. I had just left my home and walked from Godsreach to Brindisi Plaza, and when I passed through the gates all hell broke loose. Some sort of .. creatures ... broke up out of the ground in the plaza, and began attacking everyone. The guards fought back and called for my help. Whether or not I wanted to get involved, I had no choice. Several of the fanciful creatures cornered me and before I knew it I was fighting for my life.

Several of the guards ran over to assist me, and in the chaos I had to be very careful not to strike them. The last thing I wanted to do was be mistaken for attacking an ordinator or royal guard.

The monsters were tough, but after some valiant efforts by myself and the guards we put them all down. The plaza is a mess, littered with the bodies of the strange ... things. No one seems to know what they are or where they came from. I'm going to continue on and see the king's captain. Perhaps he can shed some light on what just occurred.

BIGwooly

Mournhold - Evening

The time has come. I'm giddy with excitement.

After seeing the king's captain, I was asked to investigate the plaza attack further. The creatures had come from underground, and the palace guards and a few dozen workers had prepared a way back into the hole. I was to go down inside and take a look. To say I was unhappy with this request would have been putting it lightly. To be perfectly honest, I was tired of being sent on this mission or that. The palace is acting like I work for them, and I don't.

But there is an end to the means, so I agreed. I was told that the plaza had been built upon some ancient dwemer ruins, and that the opening led directly into them. That didn't make me feel a bit better about going down that ladder. But I did.

I only traveled a short distance within a strange tunnel before I came to a ledge. It overlooked a large interior room of the ancient ruins. There was no real way down into the room, not without a rope and ladders and possibly a deathwish. Below me I could see more of the creatures that had emerged into the plaza, and a dwemer mechanical was fighting them. It was quite a sight to see, and I won't ever forget it.

There was nothing more I could do so I evacuated the tunnel and headed back to the palace. To my surprise, and my good fortune, there was someone present in the throne room that I hadn't expected to see. The king himself. King Helseth. He was right there in the throne room this time. I felt my hand go to my sword but I stopped myself. Patience.

For a moment I thought the king was present to see me. But he wasn't. He was dealing with aftermath of the attack. Doing what a king does .. lead from a safe place.

I spoke to Tienius and gave him the information on what I'd seen. He considered it, and then suggested I take the information to the king himself. I tried my best to hide my excitement, but even if he registered it he would have mistaken it's motive. I reigned in my feelings and introduced myself to the king, going through the usual formalities before giving him the details of what I'd seen. We discussed it briefly, and then he thanked me for the information and for my continued support. Apparently his captain had been talking about me at length over the past months. The king was impressed with me.

In an awkward moment he apologized for the attempt on my life by The Dark Brotherhood, and labeled it a mistake based on misinformation. I didn't buy it. His apology was weak, and insincere. I have no doubt if he didn't see my usefulness to him now he would have had his guards just cut me down. But I am useful to him, and he is happy to use me to his own ends.

While biting my tongue I accepted the apology, and laid some flattery on him for good measure. It was almost more difficult than all of my ordeals in the sewers. Complimenting a man who tried to have you killed and gives you a hollow apology takes every last bit of willpower you can muster. But it was worth it. The king has tasked me to look into another assassination plot.

I've been instructed to go to the Winged Guar to speak with an informant. I'll be heading to Telasero instead.

BIGwooly

Silt Strider - Afternoon

It's never easy to write while on a strider. The ride is bumpy at best. At least it's not raining. By the time I reach Suran tonight that might change. The sky is looking very ominous.

Now that I've gained an audience with the king, and he's personally given me a task that he'll want me to report on to him directly .. I can begin the second phase of my plan. I need to find a vampire.

Normally that is the last thing I would want to do, but years ago I read a book on vampires, and their abilities are impressive. Having their additional physical capabilities, among other things, would make me a much more powerful adversary in the throne room. Of course, I have to become a vampire first, which I'm guessing is not a pleasant experience. In fact, I'm guessing it's quite horrible. But it's what I intend to do.

From what I've read the disease takes around three days to set in. This will work perfectly, as I'll be able to contract it and travel back to Mournhold before I'm fully vampiric. Once I'm a vampire I can pretty much count on being attacked on sight by guards or pretty much anyone. Or at the very least, have service withheld. That could pose an issue with acquiring food for starters, although I'm pretty confident I'll find a way around that. Purchasing repair hammers for my armor and weapons is another matter. One that I haven't come up with a plan for yet. I supposed I could just purchase as many hammers as possible the moment I'm back in Mournhold, before the disease takes hold.

Travel, however, is going to be the most difficult proposition. Not only will I face refusal of services by silt strider owners and boat captains, I won't be able to travel during the day either. My traveling options will be severely limited. This is even more of a problem given that once I do the deed I will need to find passage out of Mournhold as soon as possible.

The other caveat of course is curing the vampirism. I have no intention of remaining a vampire. But the details I have regarding a cure are sketchy so far. The disease can be cured within the first three days with a basic common disease potion. But beyond that it becomes much more difficult. And the information on how to go about it is scarce.

The book I read the other night gave me a bit more insight into vampires, and if anything, it sealed my resolve to take this path. I'm going to need every advantage possible once I'm in the throne room again. Being a vampire will increase my odds of success. So I'll do it. When the history of the king's death is written the whole of Tamriel will be in awe of my resolve to complete my task. And I will be the most highly-sought assassin anywhere.

I have it on good authority that this ancient dunmer stronghold of Telasero is a place where I can find vampires. Tomorrow I will seek it out.

BIGwooly

Telasero - Afternoon

This was not an easy place to find, at least not in the pouring rain. And not with cliff racers all over my back. I actually managed to pass right by it while walking up the coast. But I eventually turned around and backtracked and found the giant stronghold.

It rises from the ground like a stone mountain, and I had to walk it's perimeter to find a set of stairs leading up to the top. I've found an old wooden door leading inside, and now there's no turning back.

BIGwooly

Telasero - Night

The interior of the fortress was lit by red candles. It cast an eerie reddish glow over the old stone walls and darkened my mood even more than it already was. I wasn't looking forward to meeting up with a vampire, even if it was part of my plan. The idea disgusts me and frightens me at the same time.

The first thing I came across inside was a zombie, and undead of the flesh variety as I read in the book the other night. I killed the thing easily enough, but as I ventured further and further into the stronghold I was met with more and more of the undead varieties. Zombies and ghouls and slaves and stalkers. But no vampires. And after some hours of hard work I had cleared the interior and not a single vampire was to be found.

Now I'm back outside and it's dark and windy and an ash storm is blowing in from Red Mountain. I'm not going to be able to go anywhere tonight without getting lost, so I suppose I have no choice but to go back inside. I'll have to wait out the storm and leave in the morning.

BIGwooly

Mournhold - Night

It is done.

When I was searching for Telasero I came across an old family tomb. I didn't go inside, because I was looking for Telasero, but after not finding any vampires there I figured I might as well check out the tomb.

I had barely gotten inside the old musty crypt before I ran into one .. a vampire. He attacked the second he saw me, and I allowed him. It was the only way. I had to give in and let it happen. It was one of the most difficult things I've ever done. But my resolve was strong, and once he had done his worst I drew my sword and put him down. I almost felt bad, considering I was about to become one of his kin. There was no choice really, though. He would have killed me.

I left the tomb feeling fairly normal. I expected to feel sick. Instead, I felt slightly better than normal. It was as if I had a bit more energy. Hard to explain, but I know it wasn't in my head.

Arriving back in Suran a few hours later introduced me to my first challenge with this condition. Despite feeling great, everyone could already tell I was sick. I didn't think anyone would notice this quickly. The silt strider owner wouldn't even talk to me. I had to give him a thousand in gold just to arrange travel back to Vivec, so I could catch a ship to Ebonheart and then travel back to Mournhold.

I've spent the rest of the day purchasing all the supplies I can carry back to my home. I also arranged to see the king in three days time and deliver him information on the assassination plot. How ironic that when I return it will be to assassinate him. I nearly forgot to set the meeting for late evening. In a few days time I won't be able to venture out in the daylight ...

BIGwooly

Mournhold - Evening

I've been hiding out in the wizards' mansion since a night ago. Aside from sleeping, I've done just about everything else I can do to prepare for my task. My armor and weapons are fully repaired and ready to go. I've set aside the potions I intend to use. I've gone over the plan in my head a dozen times if not a hundred. There is nothing else to do .. but wait.

Within the next two days I will no longer be myself.

BIGwooly

Mournhold - Afternoon

It feels as though time is at a standstill. The hours are creeping by so slowly, and I've read every book in this house. I'm going a bit crazy, and I can't tell if it's my body and mind changing or just the fact that I want to get out of this house.

Tomorrow I will be transformed. I just have to be patient a bit longer. Just a bit longer.

BIGwooly

Mournhold - Night

My transformation is complete. The amount of power I feel inside me is indescribable. I'm faster .. stronger .. more nimble ... almost .. more alive. I'm nervous, yet giddy, to set my plan in motion.

And the plan is this. I will use the shadows tonight to make my way to the palace. At that point I will use my amulet to hide myself and sneak inside, making my way to the throne room. While still concealed I will use an enchantment and potions to further augment my strength. I have a bottle of contraband skooma as well, which I will also drink.

Next I will begin the attack. Using my enchanted short sword I will move through the room and attempt to paralyze each of the royal guards. I will then move to intercept the king before he can attempt to flee the throne room, and I will attack him with my long sword. If my information is correct my sword's enchantment will work against me, but I will have to deal with that and supplement with health potions. Originally I had planned to exterminate the entire royal guard before turning my attention to the king, but that presents two issues. The first of course is that if I get too tied up in fighting with the guards the king could potentially escape. The other issue of course is that I want there to be witnesses. I need for all to know that I was the one that assassinated King Helseth.

The real challenge is completing my task before my shadow enchantments are exhausted. I'll need to reserve enough charge so that I can escape the palace. So if I'm forced to fight without that enchantment, I could be in for some deadly difficulty. I'm taking no less than fifteen very nice health potions with me, but it will be hard to drink them if I have a half dozen or more swords crashing down on me. I may be forced to kill a few of the guards just to manage the situation. But of course every second I'm not focusing my attacks on the king, he will be regaining his health via his special ring.

I really can't predict how things are going to go. My plan must remain fluid, and I must be willing to adapt to the situation. What I know for certain is that this will be the one and only chance I'll have to do this. If I'm forced to escape that will be the end, and I will have failed. But I'm confident. I have every possible potion I could need, and my skills are honed and my body is more than prepared considering it's current 'affliction'.

There's really nothing left to do. The plan is set in my mind, and rehearsed to death. All that's left is to carry it out.

makoman8

I haven't been on here in forever, but came back a couple weeks ago to check in on this journal.

BIGWooly, why are you leaving us in suspense after all this buildup?!?!? It's cruel! We need to know how this ends!

BIGwooly

Mournhold - Night

I slipped across Brindisi plaza like the shadow of a bird. No one noticed me. No one noticed me slip into the royal courtyard either, or into the reception hall. I reached the door to the throne room, and used my amulet of shadows to truly disappear into the air. The time had come .. and I entered.

The king was standing in front of the throne, guards set around the throne room in their usual positions. I pulled out my short sword and moved in to begin paralyzing the guards. But I hesitated. My gut was telling me to just move in and strike the king from behind. Now. I couldn't shake the feeling, even though I knew it wasn't the plan. It's not usually a good idea to throw the plan out before you've even begun to implement it.

But I couldn't follow it. My gut feeling was overwhelming, so I quietly slid the sword back into its sheath and circled the throne room. I took a strength potion and several potions for luck as I made my way around the room, and finished with a health fortification potion. When I was in place behind the throne I drew my longsword, and carefully crept up the steps. In a few short strides I was directly behind the king, who suspected nothing. In fact, not a soul in the room was aware of my presence. I had performed a perfect infiltration. Now it was time to unleash death.

I drew my blade back as far as I could, and took great care to aim the strike, and in a powerful burst of energy I struck the king with everything I had. To my complete shock, he fell to the ground, mortally wounded. He wasn't dead, but I had struck him perfectly. I quickly struck him again and the second blow finished him off. The sound of swords leaving sheaths echoed around me, but I couldn't move. I was mesmerized by the slain body of the king. I was in shock. As much as I had planned and planned and waited and waited, I guess I never actually expected to complete the task. It was monumental.

I hadn't even noticed the shock of my own sword's enchantment on myself, but as I came back to my senses I realized I needed to drink a health potion to recover from the reflected magic. I drank it down and was on my way out of the room before I fully came to my senses. I couldn't leave yet. The king's captain still needed to die, and the other guards needed to see it was I that had done the deeds. So I turned back around and approached the captain.

He couldn't see me, as I was still like the air. And when I struck him with my sword he went berserk. The captain began running around the room, searching like a madman for the killer that was among the guard. But he still couldn't see me, and I trapped him in the entryway and began to hack away at his armor, until finally my enchantment wore off and he could see my face. And then I dealt him three more blows, the third of which was the deathblow. And now the other soldiers charged at me, and I stood there facing them, so they could get a good look at me. But as they reached me I once again used my amulet and disappeared into nothingness.

Now I'm back in my newly-acquired mansion. I'm quite giddy with excitement, and hardly able to contain it. I've killed the king of Morrowind. I've assassinated King Helseth. On my own. For no payment other than the blood that he owed me. The bards will have their work cut out for them now.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts