HOW MANY OF YOU WATCH GAME OF THRONES?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

AryoAsh

I know this is kind of a random question. But I was wondering how many of the Skyrim players out there watch Game of Thrones on HBO?

After watching the 1st season I had to start reading the books. And there 5 in total so far, the last one came out July 2011 I think it was. But it took me about 7-8 months to read all 5 and they average about 800 pages a book. Even though the show is great I definately like the books better.

I believe the Season 2 Finale is next Sunday, and it is based on the 2nd book obviously, A Clash of Kings. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone that hasn't read the books yet, but this season wasn't to exciting to me. I'm waiting to see how they play out the 3rd book, which I think is the best, A Sword of Storms.

Also I notice some similarities between Elder Scrolls/Skyrim and Game of Thrones, I wonder if the makers of Skyrim were influenced by the books in anyway. Which were still popular before they landed a TV show.

catweazle

Werewolf of Riverwood
im reading the books but have lost interest in the tv program. im on 'storm of swords 2: blood and gold' at the moment

My father does, but I haven't really gotten into it.

AryoAsh

im reading the books but have lost interest in the tv program. im on 'storm of swords 2: blood and gold' at the moment

Its kind of weird you say you lost interest in the show, because after I read the books and Season 2 started I thought I'd be even more into the show. But like you I've kind of lost a lil interest in the show myself.

Also what do you mean you are on a Sword of Storms 2 Blood and Gold? There is only 1 Sword of Storms book, unless they just recently split it into to books. Which is what the plan to do with the TV series.

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
I haven't read the books yet, but I was instantly hooked by the TV show, so it's likely I will pick them up at some point. I understand the show is very faithful to the original source material. I'm still waiting for season 2 to air where I live.. if I get impatient, I may check out the episodes online.

catweazle

Werewolf of Riverwood
Also what do you mean you are on a Sword of Storms 2 Blood and Gold? There is only 1 Sword of Storms book, unless they just recently split it into to books. Which is what the plan to do with the TV series.

first half of storm of swords is 'book 1:steel and snow' the second half is 'book 2: blood and gold'

Gehenna

Dazed & Confused
Watched the first two episodes and the reason I won't keep watching is the same reason I won't watch anymore True Blood. Too much sex and nudity for my taste. I've read some of the Southern Vampire Mysteries though and it's not bad. At least it's easier to skip over the sex stuff in book format and read on about what's happening in the story, and as far as that goes it's all right and I'll probably read the series of books but I have read better stories. Guess it's all a matter of preference.

As for the Game of Thrones books, I don't have any of them yet but I'd be willing to give them a chance. What they put on TV usually doesn't stay completely true to the book anyway, so I'd not judge a book by its movie (or show).

S

SynnerLarkie

Gehenna like most shows on HBO or Stars.. you have to get bast ep.3 season 1.. the first 3 ep they throw in as much sex and blood as they can to get people hooked into the show.. with TB each season is better, ofc i read ALL the sookie stackhouse novels and while the books are better, the show is amazing.

Gehenna

Dazed & Confused
...they throw in as much sex and blood as they can to get people hooked into the show..
As I mentioned, it's not to my taste. That just means the show is not for me, and neither is the Game of Thrones. I tried watching them online since I don't get HBO. I'm not familiar with how much of that is on HBO but since it obviously isn't my thing I'll be watching other shows.

I'm just stating my point of view, not putting down others who enjoy the show. If you like it, you like it. Since I don't I shall watch other programs that are more to my liking. No problem. :cool:

S

SynnerLarkie

dont get defensive. i agree the first couple of episodes of both them, and sparticus on stars... were almost too much for me. My husband (god love him he is amazing) had to force me to conitue watching them because he had already seen them and knew i would like them. As you can see by my avatar.. im completely obseesed with alexander skargard (Eric Northman.. TB) and i would have never known it if i hadnt make it through the first season. its too bad you dont enjoy them.
I tried to read the GOT first book and i just couldnt do it. I read all the SS novels as i said and im waiting for next years last sookie book to come out. Right now i am very involved in the Carpathain novels ;)

AryoAsh

Watched the first two episodes and the reason I won't keep watching is the same reason I won't watch anymore True Blood. Too much sex and nudity for my taste. I've read some of the Southern Vampire Mysteries though and it's not bad. At least it's easier to skip over the sex stuff in book format and read on about what's happening in the story, and as far as that goes it's all right and I'll probably read the series of books but I have read better stories. Guess it's all a matter of preference.

As for the Game of Thrones books, I don't have any of them yet but I'd be willing to give them a chance. What they put on TV usually doesn't stay completely true to the book anyway, so I'd not judge a book by its movie (or show).

You are right about them throwin a lil too much sex in there. That sounds funny coming from a man. But what I mean is they just throw sex scenes in the show out of no where, and it serves no purpose to the story. And that's with Games of Thrones, True Blood, Spartacus, etc.

But with Game of Thrones now the book is pretty adult oriented. And they have a lot of sex scenes in the book. Unlike True Blood where I've read some of the books, and the show is way more over the top then the books are.

The sex doesn't bother me, but I do feel they do throw a little more then is needed. Sometimes I'm like, "Get on with the show already," to be honest. But those 3 shows are 3 of my favorite that are on TV right now.

AryoAsh

Also one thing I've noticed is Season 1 of Game of Thrones was for the most part dead on like the book. But the 2nd season of Game of Thrones they kind of went a different route then the book. Like Robb Stark's little love affair with the medic girl from Volantis. That's definatley not in the book.

Gehenna

Dazed & Confused
Kinda glad we can have a minor debate here without anybody getting offended. larkie, I didn't mean to come across as defensive but I figured someone might come along and say I'm a prude or how dare I say that and I just wanted it known ahead of time that I'm not judging, just that personally it's not my thing. Maybe that does make me a wee bit defensive, but I didn't mean anything by it.

Anyways... I agree with you Aryo about just wishing they'd get on with the story. I also don't mind sex if it's in context and they don't try and give you every last little detail, camera angle and whatnot. It was just too excessive for me, which I do find disappointing because fantasy type shows and vampire shows are some of my favorites.

M'aiqaelF

Male, 32 years old, Denver area, CO
i've read all the books and love the tv series!

catweazle

Werewolf of Riverwood
Also one thing I've noticed is Season 1 of Game of Thrones was for the most part dead on like the book. But the 2nd season of Game of Thrones they kind of went a different route then the book.

only a slight point but one that did annoy me, have you noticed that jon snows sword (long claw) as shrunk this season? its gone from a hand and a half to a one handed sword, must have been too heavy for the actor...

AryoAsh

only a slight point but one that did annoy me, have you noticed that jon snows sword (long claw) as shrunk this season? its gone from a hand and a half to a one handed sword, must have been too heavy for the actor...

I think you might be right because I remember him wearing it on his back before. And if I remember correctly in the books he talks about it being so big he had to sling it over his back. Then the last episode I noticed it was hanging on his waist.

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
Iv read all the the books except Dance of Dragons. I haven't had a chance to see the show yet