How did YOU get to level 81?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
That's my current goal. Looks like I'm going to lose.

I went legendary on smithing and alchemy, built them back up to 100, am at 100 at archery and one handed, 67 at two handed, 70 on destruction, 100 on enchanting, and I'm using conjuration, illusion, and alteration every time I remember. I don't block, because I am lame at blocking.

I'm at the beginning of level 69, and have this to complete:

50% of the Dark Brotherhood
100% of the war
20% of Solstheim
100% of Dawnguard
Alduin's defeat from the point of approaching the Jarl to use Dragonsreach.

The companions quest line just glitched on the Rescue Mission quest. AND, I can't jump over the Whiterun wall, which is the only fix I can find! So no Companions for me, I guess.

At this rate, I can't see ever making it to level 81. Leveling up is so slooowwww at this point in the game.

NO mods, I play on xbox. So just how do you mod-free players get to level 81? What do you think I should do?

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
Even though I am yet to reach level 81 (I was once at 78 and got bored with my character but that was before I knew about the Ebony warrior, or had the three DLC's).. anyway what I do is make everything I get to 100, legendary, and then do it again and again. But only in the skill trees I use all the time, like archery, one-handed, smithing, light armour... I also make Conjuration, Enchanting and Alteration legendary after I do the extra quests for them.

It takes a long time, and you have to plan it. Like, you are screwed if you make smithing and Enchanting legendary BEFORE you make your set of Dragon armour and weapons and enchant the hell out of them. So a little bit of planning is called for.

Anyway, that's how I level up when my level starts getting in the 60's and 70's. Keep at it. I have no fix for the Companions quest for you I'm afraid. I'm on Xbox to but have never had it glitch out on me. That truly sucks.

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
Oghma Infinium :rolleyes:

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
why level 81? I am over level 200 and I reset that DOWN manually for RP purposes If I were to guess I would be over level 400 but that seems unrealistic

Chadonraz

Oghma Infinium :rolleyes:

This. I only ever used the glitch that one time - went from level 20-something to 81½. And scrapped that character soon thereafter.:rolleyes:
The highest I've gotten without using the book is around 75.

Now that I'm actually RPing my characters, I'll never use all skills. However, since I have the Uncapper installed, I'm able to get my skills to above 100. The cap's been raised from 100 to 10000, so I'll never hit it. Who knows, maybe my current character (who uses 11/18 skills; no magic) will meet the mysterious Ebony Warrior some day! :D

ColleenG

I just read that if you take the Companion quest giver with you as a follower then the quest turns into an unfixable glitch. Is that what happened?

No, he just gave me the quest. The marker showed an outdoors spot outside of whiterun, but the quest said to go to Rannveig's Fast. So I went to Rannvieg's fast, and cleared it, and got the go-ahead to talk to Amren. But Amren is hopelessly lost. When I am outside Whiterun, the marker says he's IN Whiterun, and when I'm in Whiterun, the marker shows him to be outside of whiterun.

ColleenG

why level 81? I am over level 200 and I reset that DOWN manually for RP purposes If I were to guess I would be over level 400 but that seems unrealistic

You must run out of things to do, right? I don't want to keep killing respawned bandits.

ColleenG

Even though I am yet to reach level 81 (I was once at 78 and got bored with my character but that was before I knew about the Ebony warrior, or had the three DLC's).. anyway what I do is make everything I get to 100, legendary, and then do it again and again. But only in the skill trees I use all the time, like archery, one-handed, smithing, light armour... I also make Conjuration, Enchanting and Alteration legendary after I do the extra quests for them.

It takes a long time, and you have to plan it. Like, you are screwed if you make smithing and Enchanting legendary BEFORE you make your set of Dragon armour and weapons and enchant the hell out of them. So a little bit of planning is called for.

Anyway, that's how I level up when my level starts getting in the 60's and 70's. Keep at it. I have no fix for the Companions quest for you I'm afraid. I'm on Xbox to but have never had it glitch out on me. That truly sucks.

eeeyah, I am loathe to go legendary on archery or 1-handed but it looks like that's what I'll have to do. But not both at the same time!!

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows

eeeyah, I am loathe to go legendary on archery or 1-handed but it looks like that's what I'll have to do. But not both at the same time!!

Haha yeah it is a bit scary...I close my eyes whenever I push that "yes" button. I usually do all at the same time if I can, on Master difficulty to.. it's....interesting to say the least :)

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
I just read that if you take the Companion quest giver with you as a follower then the quest turns into an unfixable glitch. Is that what happened?

No, he just gave me the quest. The marker showed an outdoors spot outside of whiterun, but the quest said to go to Rannveig's Fast. So I went to Rannvieg's fast, and cleared it, and got the go-ahead to talk to Amren. But Amren is hopelessly lost. When I am outside Whiterun, the marker says he's IN Whiterun, and when I'm in Whiterun, the marker shows him to be outside of whiterun.

Unless you've done heaps more after this glitch, I can only suggest going back to a previous save. But if you continued on with the game then you may just have to let it go. But that would really suck. Sorry.

Derp

Turtle power!

I went legendary on smithing and alchemy, built them back up to 100, am at 100 at archery and one handed, 67 at two handed, 70 on destruction, 100 on enchanting, and I'm using conjuration, illusion, and alteration every time I remember. I don't block, because I am lame at blocking.

100% of the war
20% of Solstheim
100% of Dawnguard

The companions quest line just glitched on the Rescue Mission quest. AND, I can't jump over the Whiterun wall, which is the only fix I can find! So no Companions for me, I guess.

At this rate, I can't see ever making it to level 81. Leveling up is so slooowwww at this point in the game.

NO mods, I play on xbox. So just how do you mod-free players get to level 81? What do you think I should do?

What you could do is get 100 sneak at helgen, go and raid khajiit caravans and get about 50k gold by selling and waiting in game days.

After that go and do the treva's watch quest for detect life.

After that go to winterhold/join the college buy muffle/soul trap and do the cleansing the fountains mini quest.

After that head to riften and get 100 alteration/illusion/conjuration.

Finally get the best fortify illusion gear you can for cost reduction.

Do the illusion quest at winterhold for harmony and then start doing skill training by leveling up twice (but only level up once at first) then go to whatever skill trainer you want and after you get 5 levels go into the menu to level up again for 10 lvls per trip.

I generally do the first couple companion quests to get gray maine for an easy 15-90 smithing trainer, then go to markarth and do the diabella quest for 15-90 enchanting and so on for the tedious skills.

Otherwise you could just sit in riften casting harmony for easy levels.

I tryed it once and it took about a day to get most skills maxed out.

Nick Snyder

Absolutely profesh
Well, my first 81 (wasn't my first ever character), I cheated with the Oghma Infinium glitch waaaaay before it was fixed.

My first legit one, however… I play on both PC and PS3. PC version isn't installed at the moment. But I got to 81 on my very first character by just playing, I suppose. This was my actual first ever character (Rav, Male Dark Elf, stealth-and-shoot, also have fun with their minds before I kill them).

I was going for platinum, and I was wandering around trying to get the explorer trophy. I got 100 sneak, archery, illusion, one-handed, and light armor while I was getting my platinum trophy.

This put me around 65-70 (this was a long time ago, pre-DLC for sure). So I tried to keep playing, but I got bored eventually. So I put the game away for two weeks or so. Then, Dawnguard came out, and it gave the game a second life to me. I brought Rav back from retirement, and began to tear through the DLC. I got my speech, conjuration, and destruction up to 90-ish, 100, 100 (respectively). I was at 79, at this point, I believe.

I just started trying to grind out levels at this point, until I decided to make a game of it. I walked to each hold, starting at Riften. Went to Windhelm, to Winterhold, Dawnstar, Morthal, Whiterun, Falkreath, Markarth, and Solitude, in that order. Tons of fights along the way, and I used different ways to fight instead of my usual, to grind out levels. I got two-handed waaaay up, and my destruction up there too. I got put at 80.

Level 80 to 81 is basically like going from 1 to 75. It was crazy how long this took. I think I finished grinding it out about the same time that Dragonborn came out. Then I just kinda ripped Solstheim apart, and killed Miraak in about 2 minutes (Expert difficulty).

I went and finished all the last of the DLC trophies, and now Rav the Dark Elf is living outside Falkreath with his wife, Muiri, and his children, Svari and Alesan (Tragically, he took in Svari because her parents were killed in a fight with an Elder Dragon in Solitude. Her mother died during the initial attack, the dragon breathed fire on her before the guards even knew it was there, but her father died, charging the dragon at full speed, with nothing but a dagger. He was propelled miles into the sky with a tail attack. His body is still being recovered).

EDIT: Also, it's so rewarding when you see hear you get it... the level up thing, and the 81 flashes, especially after a long grind from 80 to 81. Just keep working at it, and you can get it :)

ColleenG

100% of the war
20% of Solstheim
100% of Dawnguard

What you could do is get 100 sneak at helgen, go and raid khajiit caravans and get about 50k gold by selling and waiting in game days.

After that go and do the treva's watch quest for detect life.

After that go to winterhold/join the college buy muffle/soul trap and do the cleansing the fountains mini quest.

After that head to riften and get 100 alteration/illusion/conjuration.

Finally get the best fortify illusion gear you can for cost reduction.

Do the illusion quest at winterhold for harmony and then start doing skill training by leveling up twice (but only level up once at first) then go to whatever skill trainer you want and after you get 5 levels go into the menu to level up again for 10 lvls per trip.

I generally do the first couple companion quests to get gray maine for an easy 15-90 smithing trainer, then go to markarth and do the diabella quest for 15-90 enchanting and so on for the tedious skills.

Otherwise you could just sit in riften casting harmony for easy levels.

I tryed it once and it took about a day to get most skills maxed out.

Lol, then what? I did all those by level 50.

Derp

Turtle power!
Like I said tho you could just get harmony and illusion cost reduction gear and sit in riften, could easily get to level 100+ within an hour. I was just talking about getting everything up a.s.a.p

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
There are lots of ways to grind through those levels quite quickly if you aren't RPing. Someone already mentioned a strategy, and I don't currently have the time to write out my usual strategy.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts