• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

UnfaithfulServant

Silence, my brother...
I'm restarting today and I'd like to create a tank character. How can I go about this?

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Heavy armor. Orc. Shield optional. :p Alteration for more armor. Restoration for healing and the Perk Avoid Death. I mean what kind of tank do you want? I mean due to the orc Racial they can tank almost anything well. But Bretons can tank magic naturally better.

Later in the game you will be able to tank much better when you build a straight warrior. The enchantments I recommend are magic resist, health regen, and then fill the other enchantments around how you specifically fight.

AS88

Staff member
Nord, Orc, Imperial, Breton, Argonian or Redguard
Heavy Armour
Block
Alteration and Restoration are optional but advised
Smithing

Easy.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
^ Teh EZ nubs. :p

Argonian is an interesting choice IMO I see it cause of the racial, but I feel their skill boosts don't benifit a tank as much as the other options.

AS88

Staff member
^ Teh EZ nubs. :p

Argonian is an interesting choice IMO I see it cause of the racial, but I feel their skill boosts don't benifit a tank as much as the other options.

Racial was the only reason I mentioned Argonian :p

In most cases the racial advantages very quickly become totally overshadowed by the perks and skills you emphasize as the character matures.

Amaryllis

Breton, or Orc. Orc has a racial to half all damage received (and increase damage dealt, but that's not what we're focusing on, right?). Breton has the magic resistance.

Heavy Armor, particularly the right side of the tree.

Block. The talent to deflect arrows, the talent to half elemental damage while blocking. Maybe the bash talents if you want to have Shield Bash be a thing. If so, then basically everything in this tree is a good investment.

Alteration for the reasons already stated (the -flesh spells). There's also a talent that further dampens magic damage.

Restoration is also an option, both the heals and the wards (paladin bubble!). If you put a few points in it, there's a talent to gain stamina with heals as well. I've never taken this talent, so I don't know how good it is, but I've never played a 'tank' either.

Smithing. Making armors better.

One Handed. Logically, you'd want to take skills here just because, but I don't know how enemy AI works, and what parameters it uses to determine who to attack (whether doing more damage would give you 'aggro'), so I don't know if it would help tanking, or just be quality of life.

TJ0331

Nords forever
I would choose breton for the magic resistance. You will want to take the lord stone or atronach. Get maximum armor rating as well as use a shield, I would use ysgramors shield because it blocks magic and is huge and tank like. I would use restoration as well as alteration for the flesh spells early on and the perks. Use heavy armor obviously and defensive shouts.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Once a character hits the armor cap, don't they all become tanks?

TJ0331

Nords forever
Any character can hit the armor cap but yes it is a play style so people at low levels can do it.

Ender

I dont like all this talk of Alteration. I think Tank should be Heavy Armor, 1H Mace, Block. Then either Speech, Smithing or Alchemy.

Heavy Armor and Blocking is going to require some serious stamina and weight management. You're probably going to want to actually go 1 to 1 Health/Stamina because of how much stamina is used to Shield Bash. This is part of why I'd avoid any builds that want alteration or restoration in them.

Thats why I'd almost say to use Speech because Alchemy and Smithing can get very heavy, very quickly.

TJ0331

Nords forever
Well I don't recommend alchemy at all. I still recommend alteration due to the elemental resistance perks.

I'l put in my input. I play on Legendary with several difficulty mods, realistic combat which about halves your armor bonus, Deadly Dragons, I a probably going to get some other difficulty mods too, but with deadly dragons and legendary difficulty and realistic combat, I hope you like dying a lot because that's mostly what I do.

I would go with the Breton. The magic resistance covers all 3 elements and its a PITA to enchant gear for everything you can potentially face. Mix that with the Lord's stone and perks into Alteration as well as The Blessing of Mara and you got a beast of a character. I start out with Heavy Armor, working my way up to Daedric, then after getting a bunch of dragon bones and scales I'll reset the smithing skill and work my way up the Light Armor side. Dragon bone arrows are better than Daedric, and in the end Light Armor makes the most sense if your investing the minimum amount of perks into the tree.

The only real "exploit" I use is the Falmer Helmet glitch for getting my fortify smithing and enchanting potions maxed out.

Focus on getting your smithing, alchemy and enchanting up to level 100. It takes quite a bit of time, but when you get there you will have a beast of a tank character. I did it on Master Difficulty and I WAS the equivalent of Tiber Septum in that I may as well have been a god. Under this Character build Legendary with several difficulty mods is the only incarnation of the game that still poses a challenge.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Nord - Two-handed - Heavy Armor - Steel as soon as possible

No magic, no alchemy, heavy smithing (I include enchanting as well so that I can make beaucoup bucks).

Warrior stone to start then Lady/Lover when I have the aetherium crown or just Lady.

Up Health and stamina ignore magicka.

That's my new tank since I don't really want to bother with magicka for a little while and a tank is a good excuse not to be picking wildflowers all the time. :)

Tyer032392

My tank is a

-Nord - Two handed - heavy armor with Daedric armor and or Ebony armor

-Very little magic, just enough to ward off Vampires if you decide to side with the Dawnguard

-Warrior stone initially, and then the Lord Stone as it adds +50 physical damage and halves magica damage as well

-up health and stamia +5 health, than +5 stamia. Rinse and repeat

-Enchanted armor with health and stamina regen, resistence to fire and electric magica attacks, and fortify two handed
-Weapon enchanted with absorb health and fire damage

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.

No magic, no alchemy, heavy smithing (I include enchanting as well so that I can make beaucoup bucks).

Warrior stone to start then Lady/Lover when I have the aetherium crown or just Lady.

That's my new tank since I don't really want to bother with magicka for a little while and a tank is a good excuse not to be picking wildflowers all the time. :)

Well... apparently I always play a tank! :eek:

But I feel like a tank has to be sword and board. Two-handed and dual-wield is all about dishing out as much damage as possible as soon as possible. You wear the heavy armor to mitigate the fact that you can't always kill things with one or two hits.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?

But I feel like a tank has to be sword and board. Two-handed and dual-wield is all about dishing out as much damage as possible as soon as possible. You wear the heavy armor to mitigate the fact that you can't always kill things with one or two hits.
Sword and board would be more of a paladin or knight to me, not a tank. Tank is all about dealing as much damage as possible.

Tyer032392

That is actually more along the lines of a main battle line infantry and or warrior. A tank is normally along the lines of what can deal the most amount of damage and wearing heavy armor to cover your butt when you do not have a shield.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
That is actually more along the lines of a main battle line infantry and or warrior. A tank is normally along the lines of what can deal the most amount of damage and wearing heavy armor to cover your butt when you do not have a shield.

What. Maybe we have different definitions. lol A tank for me in games is about surviving as much damage as possible. Where your damage is secondary. Now that is my "Gaming" Definition. I consider normal infantry with light armor and a light shield.

I mean in real life berserkers wore light to no armor. But In games I build my berserker with heavy armor and play how you describe. Not caring about my safety and trying to throw as much damage out as possible.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts