• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Tyer032392

What. Maybe we have different definitions. lol A tank for me in games is about surviving as much damage as possible. Where your damage is secondary. Now that is my "Gaming" Definition. I consider normal infantry with light armor and a light shield.

I mean in real life berserkers wore light to no armor. But In games I build my berserker with heavy armor and play how you describe. Not caring about my safety and trying to throw as much damage out as possible.

In real life Berserkers were homicidal maniacs who were just as much of a threat to their allies as they were to the enemy, and mixed with being high off of lord knows what did not make them any sainer.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
In real life Berserkers were homicidal maniacs who were just as much of a threat to their allies as they were to the enemy, and mixed with being high off of lord knows what did not make them any sainer.

Off topic. But yes we believe that their battle rage may have been produced my mushrooms of some sort. But the point is for a tank build I feel the shield is a key part. Tanks as I see them in fantasy are Knights in shining armor. Whose defense is indomitable. Being able to win battles in game through shear inability to die.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
I only played WoW for a month, but I've played Dragon Age to death and MMORPGs here and there over the course of my gaming career... And I've always thought a tank was supposed to be able to take as much damage as possible, deal minimal damage, and draw aggro (or aggression/make themselves the target) so that other members of the team can do their roles. Hunter/archer/rogue/berserker is pure DPS (damage per second), healers, spell casters... I mean, I guess we're starting to talk more about D&D or something if I continue with this.

That being said, I think an important part of playing a tank in Skyrim would be the shield to soak up damage and having a ranged follower, whether it's an archer or a mage.

With reference to the berserker talk... regardless historical accuracy/inaccuracies, I would call what you guys are talking about as a barbarian build. Low armor with high DPS. I mean, I guess berserker fits, too. Same concept and everything.

This whole conversation has me thinking back to that month I played World of Warcraft. I was a dwarf tank and I just remember people getting so upset because my job was "to stand there and get hit". I was apparently very bad at this. :rolleyes: Then I switched to a dwarf hunter and that went better.

TJ0331

Nords forever
I also believe a tank should be able to take a lot of damage and only deal normal amounts of it. To me a warrior could be heavy or light and is good with a variety of weapons.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
Being a tank isnt all about the weapons and armour though, its a playstyle.

A tanks main role (as hildofr stated) is to draw aggro, stay defensive and alive, and strike when the oppurtunity comes up.

Being a tank character usually means that you have a follower or party that can deal the big damage and not worry about being attacked too much themselves.

This translates to me -

- A high block skill (either with a 2handed weapon or shield) and using the shield bash technique to disrupt an enemy power attacking your vulnerable follower (just ask my Jzargo, iv got this downpact and it works awesomly)
- Heavy OR light armour, depending on your stamina, perks, frequency of shield bash and smithing skill (traditionally a tank has heavy but light armour can easily suffice with the know how)
- i personally wouldnt worry with magic as your going to have to put all your points into health and stamina (maybe alteration and restoration just for the passive perks, so build these skills outside of battle).

The rest is up for discussion and/or been discussed by other members :D

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
What. Maybe we have different definitions. lol A tank for me in games is about surviving as much damage as possible. Where your damage is secondary. Now that is my "Gaming" Definition. I consider normal infantry with light armor and a light shield.

I mean in real life berserkers wore light to no armor. But In games I build my berserker with heavy armor and play how you describe. Not caring about my safety and trying to throw as much damage out as possible.

Well, that certainly describes my character. You wouldn't believe how many people I've killed trying to defend them from something. I just feel like the should have learned to stand back when I come barrelling in or they get what's comin' to them!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?

A tanks main role (as hildofr stated) is to draw aggro, stay defensive and alive, and strike when the oppurtunity comes up.

Being a tank character usually means that you have a follower or party that can deal the big damage and not worry about being attacked too much themselves.

This translates to me -

- A high block skill (either with a 2handed weapon or shield) and using the shield bash technique to disrupt an enemy power attacking your vulnerable follower (just ask my Jzargo, iv got this downpact and it works awesomly)
- Heavy OR light armour, depending on your stamina, perks, frequency of shield bash and smithing skill (traditionally a tank has heavy but light armour can easily suffice with the know how)
- i personally wouldnt worry with magic as your going to have to put all your points into health and stamina (maybe alteration and restoration just for the passive perks, so build these skills outside of battle).

I'm confused by your definition of Tank. "A tanks main role (as hildofr stated) is to draw aggro, stay defensive and alive, and strike when the oppurtunity comes up." Really? I always thought a Tank was the front line damage guy (at least that's what I use my follower/hireling tanks for). Maybe I'm playing wrong.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
No we are just using the more specific gaming definition. If I had to guess you use someone to tank. But that doesn't by nature make them "Tanks as a class."

Edit: Tanks are for absorbing damage. Not dishing it out as much.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member

This translates to me -

I'm confused by your definition of Tank. "A tanks main role (as hildofr stated) is to draw aggro, stay defensive and alive, and strike when the oppurtunity comes up." Really? I always thought a Tank was the front line damage guy (at least that's what I use my follower/hireling tanks for). Maybe I'm playing wrong.

To tank, in gaming terminology is to primarily take the damage away from party or follower. Thats how iv always viewed them. As Skies said, its take damage primarily and deal damage secondary...

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
I'm restarting today and I'd like to create a tank character. How can I go about this?
>> Enchanting !! Disenchant any enchanted item and use that enchantment to create your own. Then you will be totally invincible and much better than a tank. In my opinion, there is nothing better. I am now, invisible and invincible ! Just my 2 cents ... :)