• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

jRi0T68

Excellent information Dagmar. I always found Lydia to be jumping in the way of my sword/shout/arrow. She and I didn't mesh, though perhaps I may consider a different housecarl on my next playthrough.

Cave

To me shes like, the little elf from oblivion. When i get bored i just kill her in funny ways.

Also AELA REPRESNT

ShangTsung

After all surfing of skyrim, I have decided to make a forum with replies of this hard pinned question. What is with Lydia? Why do you like her? Please reply.
i've wondered the same exact question and as a guy i NEVER have once used her as a follower, ofcourse i've never been much for followers in this game anyway, if i want backup i just summon dremora lords, they're much more powerful, much cooler, and far less annoying.. as for "Lydia" personally i could do without her, i think its some sorta fanboy trend to like her or something, who knows.. :rolleyes:

Paigethegamer

Here to burn down buildings
When I first got her I thought she was ok but after awhile she got annoying. To me it's like she hates her life.

HappyTroll

My opinion probably doesn't count for anything because I just started, Level 6 Redguard female. I picked Redguard because I wanted well rounded for magic and combat.

I helped Faedal of Riverwood with his favor early on and picked him up as a follower and he really helped me out in the Bleak Falls Barrow. ( Went in at level 3!) If I crouched with weapons drawn and backed up, several times he took point and absorbed some damage for me and killed a draugr or two before I got into the room. I got Lydia after all that came next and I can't stand her. Shes always ten steps behind me and has a lousy attitude. I'm stuck and need to level up a few times before I can move on in the main quest and she is acting bored already. Once she even appeared to be running away, and I got slaughted by a mage of some sort hiding in the bushes along the road. If I didn't know any better I'd say she was trying to get me killed. Heck woman! At least tell me to run too! For those of you who have played deeper into the game, who was your favorite over all?

Moris

Onmund might well be the best I've seen, in terms of how fast he can kill things -- at least at lower levels. I hesitate to use him because I almost stop levelling. He keeps killing things before I can ever reach them. If you're feeling the need for a burly Nord to protect you, he may be a mage, but he will get the job done.

Whether a follower is good depends to play style. If you're a stealth character and you don't want to be detected, Kharjo is a sweet follower. On the other hand, if you want someone to race in ahead and tank, you might find the male Companions more to your liking, or some of the mercenaries/housecarls.

All followers have annoying quirks, though. It's part of what makes them lovable. :)

Saozig

Hippy
You like Onmund? I gave him a fair chance. My Breton took him up to High Hrothgar for the Season Unending quest--don't recall what level my Breton was then, ~35 maybe) and we hiked the 7000 steps to see how well he'd do against the creatures you meet along the way. He'd run out of magicka and then go hide behind a rock until he regen'd most of the time, A few times he used the staff I gave him. Never used the sword I gave him. He managed to kill nothing. My Breton was so annoyed with him by the time they made it up the 7000 steps she spent to the whole peace talks casting paralysis on him.

I find it interesting that followers seem to perform a little differently from player to player.

iZsoul

Not Lydia , Vilja.

Lordmacifer

Clearly Lydia is a whore, Come back to my breezehome several times and seen different men come out of there, sometimes chicks too, lol, instead of sitting in my bedroom eating up all my food she needs to walk her fat ass to riverwood and back a couple of times a day.

Moris

You like Onmund? I gave him a fair chance. My Breton took him up to High Hrothgar for the Season Unending quest--don't recall what level my Breton was then, ~35 maybe) and we hiked the 7000 steps to see how well he'd do against the creatures you meet along the way. He'd run out of magicka and then go hide behind a rock until he regen'd most of the time, A few times he used the staff I gave him. Never used the sword I gave him. He managed to kill nothing. My Breton was so annoyed with him by the time they made it up the 7000 steps she spent to the whole peace talks casting paralysis on him.

I find it interesting that followers seem to perform a little differently from player to player.

Like I said, he's amazing at lower levels. 35 is not what I consider a lower level. NPC's begin to reach their own level caps at around 30. At level 5, though, he's hard to beat.

FrostedPink

Fairon
Plain and simple, I don't like her because she gets in my way. I know this is a thread asking why people liked her, but I just wanted to put it out there, in no uncertain terms, that she is better help to me hanging out at home minding her own business. I don't like it when she yawns, either. I'm like, "Look here, woman--I am trying to find a way out of this room I have found myself trapped in! I don't need you darth vadering all up in my space!"

FrostedPink

Fairon
And she ALWAYS DIES!! Always. Walk two steps, death becomes her. Tried to kill a forsworn, gets in front of my blade. Dragon? Oh, there goes Lydia, DYING! Sigh. Rant over.

brycepunk

I went on one mission with her (after just leaving her at the house for a few months) just to see what it would be like to have a human follower. I abandoned her at some point during that mission. "Stay here." That was months ago. Maybe she froze to death by now.

AS88

Staff member
Because she swore an oath, and that Flawless Dwarven Battleaxe of the Inferno isn't going to carry itself. ;)

FrostedPink

Fairon
Because she swore an oath, and that Flawless Dwarven Battleaxe of the Inferno isn't going to carry itself. ;)
Haha! Very true! Although in my case, "Here, hold this garnet. Should you die, I won't mind leaving you here to rot with it". I do love weighing her down with all those specialized weapons, though.

FrostedPink

Fairon
I went on one mission with her (after just leaving her at the house for a few months) just to see what it would be like to have a human follower. I abandoned her at some point during that mission. "Stay here." That was months ago. Maybe she froze to death by now.
Knowing her, she probably sighed herself to death.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
Aela FTW!!!

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
And she ALWAYS DIES!! Always. Walk two steps, death becomes her. Tried to kill a forsworn, gets in front of my blade. Dragon? Oh, there goes Lydia, DYING! Sigh. Rant over.
When was the last time you played using her as a follower? Follower leveling used to be bugged (for a long time) so their stats never went up when they leveled. Since they match your level when you first enter their cell area and almost everyone gets Lydia at a low level that meant she would become squishy rather quickly as you and everything you fought outleveled her. She's a Housecarl though, which means if you fixed her stat updating with console commands or the Wabbajack before they patched the fix or used her after they patched the fix, along with all the other Housecarls, she was (and is) basically one of the best tank followers in the game.

The Housecarls, and Vilkas if you're the Harbinger, are hands down the best melee combat followers in the game once you reach level 50, which is why they're my favorite followers to use past level 50 for all combat styles except stealth combat styles. They can generally shrug off any collateral damage you inflict on them as a Destruction mage and a good combat archer can easily shoot around them. The only downside is that they can steal your kill and killing can become a bit competitive, especially if you kit them out with custom enchanted gear made with a crafting build.

FrostedPink

Fairon
Console commands? Meaning I could make adjustments on my PS3 or are you talking about a PC?

Dallas-Arbiter

Console commands? Meaning I could make adjustments on my PS3 or are you talking about a PC?
If I may interject, PC. Bethesda named the cheat/command menu a "console" for some reason.

Anyway, when I first played Skyrim, I kept her around, and then I just got tired of the followers. "Followers", sounds like you're leading a cult doesn't it? Anyway, when I got Hearthfire, I built my house and became thane of Falkreath, and did not like the Housecarl you get from the Hearthfire addon. So, the next time around I built my house, went up to Whiterun and got Lydia. She's really just there for clutter.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts