guys I'm torn and need some help

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Skrumps

Hey guys I got skyrim for the 360 but I kinda am starting to feel like I'd like it more on my PC. Im torn but before I trade in my 360 version can someone help me set up a pros and cons list? Thanks guys :)

And if this has been done before I'm sorry I didn't find one anywhere

Jedah

No problem, seeing how I've got the console version and played my buddy's PC version, here's my two cents.
Console -----------------------------------------PC​
1)Less lag --------------------------------------1)Mods
2)Faster loads ----------------------------------2)Able to manually fix bugs
3)No fewer crashes -----------------------------3)The hot key function is much better
4)Don't need to lower quality for -----------------4)MODS!!!!!
better performance------------------------------ 5)Able to fine tone things
5) Bigger Screen
There's probably more to it but it boils down to this, do you want performance and high resolution, then stay with console. If you want to mix things up a little, repair a broken quest/glitch, or do some zany stuff then pick PC. Personally, the Construction Kit wont be out for a while so it's best to stay with console until it comes out, otherwise it's a waste.

Garrison

No problem, seeing how I've got the console version and played my buddy's PC version, here's my two cents.
Console -----------------------------------------PC​
1)Less lag --------------------------------------1)Mods
2)Faster loads ----------------------------------2)Able to manually fix bugs
3)No fewer crashes -----------------------------3)The hot key function is much better
4)Don't need to lower quality for -----------------4)MODS!!!!!
better performance------------------------------ 5)Able to fine tone things
5) Bigger Screen
There's probably more to it but it boils down to this, do you want performance and high resolution, then stay with console. If you want to mix things up a little, repair a broken quest/glitch, or do some zany stuff then pick PC. Personally, the Construction Kit wont be out for a while so it's best to stay with console until it comes out, otherwise it's a waste.

Many of your pros for console seem to be performance related... I also have both Xbox (for my kids) and PC (for myself... Yes, I know, I have sharing issues!), and I have to say that playing on my pc has never resulted in lag, loads faster than the Xbox and has at least comparable visuals. Ultimately for comparison purposes, I suspect that technical limitations on the PC are a result of the specs of the PC itself.

Hunter13Zero

Until next time, keep on gamin' on!
I have it on the 360, and have only had a couple of times that the game has frozen, while loading. Never has it frozen in the middle of gameplay. The longest I've waited for loading to complete has probably only been like 30 seconds.. My only complaint is that some of the textures aren't as detailed as they are on the PC. Mods are always a bonus with the PC, but like Jedah said, there probably won't be a construction kit for a little bit. The Console is a good way to go for now, but if you're trying to play more, while your kids play the 360, then get it for the PC. You are right Garrison, in saying that it does come down to how well your PC is built. If your computer is beefy enough, you shouldn't have any problems, and in that case, PC is the way to go. Either way, you're playing one incredible game!

Metallipath

Premium Member
I'd suggest moving over to PC if you're ready to build your own. I was playing with the idea of moving to PC before the release of Skyrim, but now that I've played it cemented my decision. One look at the Skyrim Nexus mods section is a very convincing thing to see. When the construction kit is released (in January one source has stated) I can't imagine how incredible the mods are going to be.

NikolaTesla

Admiral Sunna Kyndai
How would one go about building a PC?

Metallipath

Premium Member

You need to purchase all of the required parts, power supply, cpu, motherboard, etc. From there it's just a more complicated version of Lego.

Building your own PC can be a very beneficial thing because you know each and every part that is in your system. You save a substantial amount of money when building your own PC, compared to buying a prebuilt with the same system specs.

SeaDog

I play on XBOX, but I must admit, the amount of control that PC gives you is much better. However, there is always the potential downside of loading/running too many mods, or mods that might crash your game. Consoles don't have that issue.

If you can't live without mods, or the feeling of control, go with PC. If you don't want to worry about that stuff, stick with console.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member

You can also find sites that will sell a mostly put-together rig (sparing you from installing specific cpu's and so forth) then add in a graphics card on your own. If you want to save money, this is a better alternative. I don't recommend any of the big vendor systems off the shelves unless you're just dying to throw thousands of bucks at something and absolutely unwilling or unable to do some hardware installation. I'm not sure if you're from the US but if you are, Fry's has rigs in various stages of completeness for sale where you can pick and choose your setup, your budget and your level of skill to complete the system.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
You can also look in your local area for a mom-and-pop computer shop. There are bound to be eager gearheads in there with some nifty stock. And you can see some of the nifty cases you can get for these beasts.

I still play the game on a laptop but building rigs is great fun if you're into that sort of thing.

Gandalf The Boss

Pupil of Nienna. Defender of Middle Earth
I got it on Xbox 360 but in about 6 months I will get it for PC. Just for the Mods :D

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I have faith that the modding community will come out with some really great stuff for Skyrim. They did with Oblivion. The key is to be very very picky about which mods you include in your game and in my experience, wait before you install any mod so you can read reviews and let it get its bugs worked out. And if you're new to the modding in general, remember to save, save, save backups of your saved games before installing anything.

All that being said, I can't wait for the creation kit.

SeaDog

As I recall, Bethesda released some seriously badass DLC for the XBOX version of Oblivion. The different hideouts for assassins, thieves, Battlehorn Castle, etc. And the additional campaigns were great too. This will only get better.

brandon

As I recall, Bethesda released some seriously badass DLC for the XBOX version of Oblivion. The different hideouts for assassins, thieves, Battlehorn Castle, etc. And the additional campaigns were great too. This will only get better.
yes sir it will without a doubt get better but until then i will surely be enjoying this game until it breaks from over playing lol.

Jedah

Wow quite a few replies since last I was here. So since I'm here I'd like to state that the DLC's that will be available will be nothing like the house's of Oblivion. Quoting from an article they will be much "substantial" and wont appear sometime after the CK launches. Not to spread any rumors, but many people have been speculating that the DLC's may be a return to Cyrodil and Morrowind. This is due to the fact that the land masses of both continents are present in the game, and there's even a partially built White Tower where the main city would be. I dunno about you, but why would they build that tower if no ones ever going to see it either up close or on the map. Makes you wonder huh.

Fireblade

Hmm I haven't encountered any issues playing on my PC...in fact I play it on a fairly substantial laptop. Early on I had issues with the game crashing randomly, but those were essentially all rectified with the 4 GB ram recognition patch. Currently I have about a dozen mods installed and wouldn't go back to playing without them. Think about this - if you go 360, you will never have your revenge against those horrible spoiled children.

CharlesD

I have a slightly different opinion on this, and it's not really based on performance of games and what not. I work from home and I spend my entire day sitting at my desk on a computer. When I go home from work, which involves getting up from my desk and retiring to the couch, I don't really don't want to spend any more time on a computer. So in the evenings I play games on my PS3 and browse the web on my iPad. I've tried playing games on my computer but after using it all day for work I don't find the experience relaxing enough as playing on a console hooked to my big screen.

With that said, when I have played things on the computer, I had mixed feelings. I have always liked the flexibility of modding the PC games, but for some games a controller is just easier than a keyboard and mouse.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts