guys I'm torn and need some help

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Jedah

That's true CharlesD, I do prefer my PS3 over a laptop at times for similar reasons. However my comparison was of the technical differences between console and PC version of the game, which is unbiased to personal tastes. Which I feel is fair to a person, rather than the neanderthal debates of "PC sucks" or "consoles are for dummies" or "me likie dis one better", I just don't feel right doing that. (Not that I'm accusing you of it). In the end, however, it's all a matter of personal opinion/taste. It's really up to you. I'm just trying to give people an informed choice of what they're getting rather than choosing because some random faceless person on the internet told me he liked this better, despite the fact I may not have any the same preferences for disliking console Y because of said X reasons/background/experiences ect.

That said, people are complaining that their computers run well as a console and that my comparison is wrong. Surprisingly enough people, he may not have the same computer system capabilities as you. All consoles are standard in their functions (unless modded), computers not so much. He may have a power house of a PC or a pile of spam. Yes that's right people, how dare he be poor and not afford the latest PC system that comes out every six months, the fiend. I don't know his PC or yours, neither do you. SO PLEASE people don't assume that if yours can run at 100 FPS, everyone else can as well. And that saying yours can do it will magically make his work ain't gonna happen, it's just gonna be a waste of $60 for the misguided fellow, who bought it on your whim.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Ultimately for comparison purposes, I suspect that technical limitations on the PC are a result of the specs of the PC itself.
This.

Objectively there are no cons when comparing PC to console if you are using a well built gaming rig. The performance is superior in every conceivable way. You can use a game controller if you prefer. You can get past several bugs with console commands where you will simply be stuck on a console. You can run tests using objective data read off console commands to understand game mechanics and confirm how things work in the game (almost all of the hard data we have from the game such as damage reduction caps on armor rating and damage scaling, are contributions by PC players).

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Yes that's right people, how dare he be poor and not afford the latest PC system that comes out every six months.
You don't have to be rich to afford a good gaming rig and you don't have to buy "the latest PC system that comes out every six months." Desktop computers are upgradable and you can keep your rig up to date in bits and pieces for years on end by making upgrades without great cost over time. I know as many if not more avid PC gamers that have solid gaming computer configurations that work low income jobs than I know ones that are affluent/wealthy. It has nothing to do with wealth.

No one is "complaining" that their computers run well (actually better and with superior graphics) than a console. Your comparison isn't without merit but it is flawed and people are simply pointing that out and that, optimally, the PC is superior to the console regarding performance issues.

Jedah

Dagmar: I will not argue that my comparison has flaws, and that I personally know that it's possible to get some hardcore computers out there for relatively low prices. But, what I basically meant (and I apologize if it was unclear) that for any specific person to be given an unbiased technical comparison, I or you need to know the specs of the hardware he or she is using. That's what I meant, without the specs first, it's pointless to even debate this topic. The one who started this topic gave no clear inclination to what the system hes/shes using. (if later posted please refer me to it). To the best of my knowledge the performance of consoles are relatively stable, but with computers it varies.

To the point of wealth, you referenced my comment. I meant that more as a joke than anything, but I guess no-one would get it then if I didn't put some ridiculous LOL or ROFL at the end like a idiot. Also it's true you can upgrade systems to current standards, but the backside of that you can only do it to a certain point. That's why ,unless without some crazy third part intervention, you will never see any old windows 92(98?) operational today. If anyone points out any of the old school computers you'll find, like at some cheap elementary schools, those systems have been gutted to the point of being brand new. Think NESS but with the power to play PS3. That's the weakness of upgrading, you first update the software repeatedly, then little by little, buy replacement parts to handle the software. Don't get me wrong, if properly done, that son of a will handle like a dream, but you might as well bought or built a new one in the first place if it was going to divulge to that point.