Getting your girlfriend to play Skyrim..

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Willow

I had never played a video game before starting to play Skyrim and I'm now completely addicted and belong to a gaming forum. My boyfriend is pretty into gaming and I too would complain about him playing so much. I decided to make a character just for fun but got bored when I died every five minutes because I didn't even know you could change the difficulty setting (SUPER NOOB). During Christmas break from college I was incredibly bored and decided to give it another shot. I turned the difficulty setting down and never looked back. As a non-gamer female skyrim convert I would say...

1) turn down the difficulty so it's not so frustrating when she starts out 2) Let her take her sweet ass time creating her character's race/features/ and name, chicks like that stuff 3) Explain to her that she can build and decorate her own house (assuming you have the Hearthfire DLC), chicks also like that 4) Don't mock her playing style or the fact that she will probably suck for a while and not play it exactly like you. 5) Stock your fridge with frozen pizza because she won't be making you ANYTHING once she realizes how amazing this damn game is.

BTW, I now have come back to real life and go to school, cook and all that boring crap. But for a while there, man did I eat a lot of pizza. Good luck!

Asiaxfani

1) turn down the difficulty so it's not so frustrating when she starts out 2) Let her take her sweet ass time creating her character's race/features/ and name, chicks like that stuff 3) Explain to her that she can build and decorate her own house (assuming you have the Hearthfire DLC), chicks also like that 4) Don't mock her playing style or the fact that she will probably suck for a while and not play it exactly like you. 5) Stock your fridge with frozen pizza because she won't be making you ANYTHING once she realizes how amazing this damn game is.

This. And to part 2) I'd like to add that you might want to try leaving her alone when she's creating her character. Like Willow said, many chicks like the creating process, but it's easy to get umcomfortable when somebody's sitting next to you while you're doing it, even if they're not rushing you. I actually created my first character three times before I was happy with her, and I sure as hell couldn't have done that if somebody was breathing over my shoulder.

Willow

This. And to part 2) I'd like to add that you might want to try leaving her alone when she's creating her character. Like Willow said, many chicks like the creating process, but it's easy to get umcomfortable when somebody's sitting next to you while you're doing it, even if they're not rushing you. I actually created my first character three times before I was happy with her, and I sure as hell couldn't have done that if somebody was breathing over my shoulder.

I agree Asiaxfani. It took me forever to create a character I liked and I wouldn't enjoy explaining to someone why I'm moving her nose a half inch down.

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
I agree Asiaxfani. It took me forever to create a character I liked and I wouldn't enjoy explaining to someone why I'm moving her nose a half inch down.

That's weird, my wife and I enjoy our artistic collaborations during the character creation process. It's the face you're going to have to live with for a good long time (unless of course you head down to the Ratway, but would you actually pay someone to give you medieval plastic surgery?) I for one feel like I need advice when I'm putting the face together; I've come up with some real freakshows when she wasn't there to guide me. You should've seen the makeup job I gave this Imperial I was making! Unsavory.

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
I have....hold on....*counts fingers* 6 different characters. I'm not happy with a damn one of them.

But then again, I'm a tough woman to please. ;)

I get super agitated when someone's watching over my shoulder, so I get where you're coming from though. I typically kick my man out of the room when I'm playing cause I find myself wanting to punch him. That and if I leave for a potty break, he snags the controller and I have to take clothes off to get him to give it up. I am a very particular person and I like things a set way, and I severely dislike my decisions being questioned. Even if it's as simple as a "why in Oblivion are you using THAT sword??" question. So unless your woman is the kind who likes being guided, I would recommend sitting back and letting her do her thing. Skyrim is a vast game with an unlimited pool of creative creation. Let her exercise it.

Willow

That's weird, my wife and I enjoy our artistic collaborations during the character creation process. It's the face you're going to have to live with for a good long time (unless of course you head down to the Ratway, but would you actually pay someone to give you medieval plastic surgery?) I for one feel like I need advice when I'm putting the face together; I've come up with some real freakshows when she wasn't there to guide me. You should've seen the makeup job I gave this Imperial I was making! Unsavory.

My boyfriend is the more "I wear a helmet all the time so I don't care too much what my face looks like" player. I ask his advice I some stuff during playing but not the character creation part. To each his own :)

Asiaxfani

Boy, you nailed that one, Willow! My thoughts exactly!

That's interesting. I get really jumpy when I get to creating a character, mainly because I'm very well aware how goddamn boring it is to just watch somebody tweak the features for half an hour. "But why doesn't that stupid nose still look right?! Let's go over the options just one more time..." I've been on both sides of that.
But like Willow said, to each his own. I think it's great you're both able to enjoy the process. I take it that you like to play together, then?

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
In the spirit of things, "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

My boyfriend is the more "I wear a helmet all the time so I don't care too much what my face looks like" player. I ask his advice I some stuff during playing but not the character creation part. To each his own :)

Ah, I see, one of those types. I know how you mean, some folks just don't care about the important stuff! ;) She and I are both pretty concerned with the aesthetic, and we'll bounce back-story ideas at each other.

That's interesting. I get really jumpy when I get to creating a character, mainly because I'm very well aware how goddamn boring it is to just watch somebody tweak the features for half an hour. "But why doesn't that stupid nose still look right?! Let's go over the options just one more time..." I've been on both sides of that.
But like Willow said, to each his own. I think it's great you're both able to enjoy the process. I take it that you like to play together, then?

Well, sure! It's all the sweeter when your kill cams have a witness, there's no denying that. Plus, when she's playing it's usually on me to whip up something awesome in the kitchen (which, probably translates as "me making burgers." ...I play to my culinary strengths.)

Asiaxfani

Well, sure! It's all the sweeter when your kill cams have a witness, there's no denying that. Plus, when she's playing it's usually on me to whip up something awesome in the kitchen (which, probably translates as "me making burgers." ...I play to my culinary strengths.)

You know, I've always been a lone wolf when it comes to playing, and never really felt like I wanted company. But I have to admit, that does sound like a pretty awesome way to enjoy games. Lucky you!

Well, I'll just keep talking to my buddy, Edward the Toy Dragon when I'm playing. *insert forever alone face*

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Well I could, but that would mean a woman breaching the man cave, it will become 'our cave' and that just doesn't sound as fun.

FullmetalHeart20

Why limit this to girlfriends and wives? Six brothers and sisters here, and not a single one likes Skyrim in the least. That's worse than one girlfriend. :sadface:

Adam Belmont

Why limit this to girlfriends and wives? Six brothers and sisters here, and not a single one likes Skyr in the least. That's worse than one girlfriend. :sadface:
Be glad that you don't need to share your computer/console or even worse, that someone accidentally deleted your main character save.

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
You know, I've always been a lone wolf when it comes to playing, and never really felt like I wanted company. But I have to admit, that does sound like a pretty awesome way to enjoy games. Lucky you!

Well, I'll just keep talking to my buddy, Edward the Toy Dragon when I'm playing. *insert forever alone face*
I have a stuffed duck. His name is Quackers. And I'm completely fine with talking to him for the simple fact that he doesn't tell me what sword to use. :)

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
Well I could, but that would mean a woman breaching the man cave, it will become 'our cave' and that just doesn't sound as fun.

A-ha-ha-ha-ha! The heavy metal posters will come a-tumblin' down, the fridge will be restocked to carry Mike's Hard, and nothing will ever be the same again. Both genders have agreed: leave us the hell alone when we're getting our Skyrim on.

"Alright honey, I'm going to play Skyrim in the other room for a while and no matter what you hear, DO NOT OPEN THIS DOOR!!"

I have a stuffed duck. His name is Quackers. And I'm completely fine with talking to him for the simple fact that he doesn't tell me what sword to use. :)

Co-pilot Quackers, that's awesome.

Willow

Ah, I see, one of those types. I know how you mean, some folks just don't care about the important stuff! ;) She and I are both pretty concerned with the aesthetic, and we'll bounce back-story ideas at each other.

I also spend a ridiculous amount of time decorating my house, so I'm also one of those... no shame! We both enjoy the role-playing and story aspects equally though. A friend of mine actually created a character with her boyfriend where they decided on the creation process together and take turns playing it (they both have their own separate characters too though). I don't know if that's something I would do, but if you and your wife really enjoy collaborating you should try it :)

Willow

A-ha-ha-ha-ha! The heavy metal posters will come a-tumblin' down, the fridge will be restocked to carry Mike's Hard, and nothing will ever be the same again. Both genders have agreed: leave us the hell alone when we're getting our Skyrim on.

"Alright honey, I'm going to play Skyrim in the other room for a while and no matter what you hear, DO NOT OPEN THIS DOOR!!"

FYI, Not all women drink Mike's Hard Lemonade. I prefer a nice dark microbrew myself. Especially when doing the "A Night to Remember" Quest. How else am I supposed to get into character?!

Asiaxfani

Alrighty! Go Quackers. Yeah, in no offence to Edward whatsoever. He doesn't bitch either, not even when I'm slaying dragons. A real understanding dude, that one.

LOL! I guess it's kind of a good thing I'm only with Edward at my place when I'm playing, I can get a bit... loud-ish as well. Or even when I'm not screaming, I just constantly talk out loud to myself. Or to Edward. Or to the NPC's.

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
I also spend a ridiculous amount of time decorating my house, so I'm also one of those... no shame! We both enjoy the role-playing and story aspects equally though. A friend of mine actually created a character with her boyfriend where they decided on the creation process together and take turns playing it (they both have their own separate characters too though). I don't know if that's something I would do, but if you and your wife really enjoy collaborating you should try it :)

Now there's an original idea... we may just have to do that! Sounds cool.

FYI, Not all women drink Mike's Hard Lemonade. I prefer a nice dark microbrew myself. Especially when doing the "A Night to Remember" Quest. How else am I supposed to get into character?!

Yeah, I know. My crappy joke hinged on that stereotype, my apologies.

Dark beer is, in essence, the only beer.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts