• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

SkyrimTookMyLife

Hey I was wondering if anyone had a link to a guide for enchanting? How does the soul system work? I know smaller gems hold lesser creatures souls but what would fill a common gem? Do bandits have to be trapped in a black gem or do they not count as people? Will the damage my enchantments do go up as the skill level does? Appreciate any help tnks

Hey dont know a guide but..

Soul gems - the higher the creature the better the soul. So easy things like deer, rats, mudcrabs will feel the smaller gems. I think common are creatures like atronachs, fermir, spiders. And grands are the badeset like giants, sabretooth cats, mamoths etc..

Yes bandits have to be trapped in black soul gems because their people. Its because in skyrim there are two different types of souls. Creatures have white souls and People have black souls, hence white and black soul gems.

And im not 100% but i think as your enchantment level goes up, the effect when you dissasemble a weapon goes up. For instance i have not done much, so if i dissasemble say a ring with +20 health regenaration, when i go to use that enchanment on something else, say a necklace i will only be able to enchant with like +15. so when your level goes up i would think that you would be able to takethe full effect and maybe even better at higher levels.

Parrk

Leveling enchanting is easy and beneficial. just use an enchanted weapon that runs out of steam frequently and refill it with petty soul gems. This will level you quickly. When you spec points into enchanting you can get large increases in enchant effects, even larger than those you get from using better gems.

Nathan Dorman

I have not done any enchanting as of yet, so please excuse my question is it sounds "noobish". Is a petty soul gem that I have picked up already filled with a soul or do I still need to fill it? I also have not filled any soul gems yet, but from what I understand, you have to equip the soul gem within a certain time period after the target has been killed or die. Correct? Additionally, since you absorb the soul from a dragon, can a soul gem be use to absorb the dragon soul as well? Thanks

It will only be filled if your lucky. If it is filled i will have what it is filled with in brackets next to the name, for instance:
Grand soul gem (grand)
No you never have to touch the soul gems. To trap a soul you need a soul trap SPELL and in the info it will tell you how long you have. For intance it will say something like you have 60 seconds. So what you do is use your soul trap spell on someone and aslong as he dies within the time period (60 secs for instance) you will ge hes soul, you will see like a purple aura go from him to you (kinda like the dragon soul but Not as visual). U will never need to equip a soul gem.
Also you can only trap cratures in white soul gems, for people you need black soul gems.

And no dragon souls are only used for shouts, you cannot use soul trap on dragons to trap them in a gem.

Parrk

I have never really used the spell myself. I find it is much easier (even when playing a mage) to use a bow enchanted with a sould trap effect (I've found several of these available at warmaiden's in whiterun).

My personal opinion is that casting is weaker than other specs in Skyrim. That is not a bad thing really. Certainly mage runs are not really "hard", but I have been astounded with how much easier my second run as a heavy-dual-wielder has been. No strategy or careful spell choice required (which is much of the fun of being a caster), just whirlwind in and wreck pl*ps.

Sorry yes i neglected the weapon enchanments. Im a mage and havent used a weapon hardly since the first mission so it slipped my mind.

Kasha

How would you use azuras star?. i just got it but im lost.

Titanburner

Premium Member
Should have corrupted it and got the black star instead (reusable black soul gem). The Azura star works as a reusable Grand Soul Gem.

Kasha

I can use animal souls with the azura star, i would have to kill humans to fill the black star

Titanburner

Premium Member
Very true, but how many bandits are there in Skyrim? Hehehe Just saying I find more bandits than I do animals it seems.

Kasha

didnt think about that, so how do i fill it up?

Titanburner

Premium Member
Same way as a normal soul gem, Soul Trap Spell (Can be purchased from Farengar, the Court Wizard of Whiterun) or a weapon with soul trap enchantment imbued in it.

Kasha

how do you soul trap, sorry im being a dummy, but im trying to be a more creative skyrim player

Titanburner

Premium Member
No problem, when you cast the spell you haft to kill them before the spell wears off then it will automatically fill the star.

Kasha

so get the black star(just reload a earlier save) and use that one, is it more powerful, does it break?

Titanburner

Premium Member
I think it is as every humanoid soul is a grand level soul. Seeing as how many bandits there are in Skyrim I dont see why anyone wouldnt get it besides roleplaying reasons? The Azura star can trap any animal soul yes, but animal souls range from petty to grand. Why not get a grand everytime I say? You might haft to kill a Troll to get a grand soul with the Azura, but with the black star I just cast my spell and burn a bandit to the ground. Same level soul, alot less work :).

Kasha

can you collect many souls on the black star, and make many good things?

Titanburner

Premium Member
Yea you can collect as many as you want, use a soul on a enchantment and then go collect another. It doesn't break and you can use it as much as you want.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts