• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

OckhamsFolly

i dont know why on earth ulfric StormCloak decided to kill general Tullius becuase the Thalmor are the real enemy he could of made an alliance and defeated them with 2 big strong factions the Thalmor would be turned into a pulp, the Thalmor almost killed the Empire single handedly and decided to make an alliance and create the White-Gold Concordat which gave them power amogst The Empire and the Empire had to agree since they had no choice and banned worshipping of Talos which they knew would cause chaos with the Nords which let to civil was while that is happening the whole Empire is growing weaker and the Thalmor would strike skyrim and would have great advantage and possibley recruit other mers to form an Elf Empire but on the other hand if they did not make a Alliance and destroy the Empire then it would be different as the jarls and people of skyrim will take action upon reciveing the news they would form an army extremely big and try to stop the Thalmor which would obviously in this case would be obliterated but in the current case jarls do not bother with the Thalmor so it seems the Thalmor have planned this out all the way... smart elfs....

Despite wanting to side with the Stormcloaks desire for freedomand self-governance in my gut, the sad fact is Ulfric is not bright and a poor leader, all style and no substance. Tactically, his war makes no sense, and in a SC playthrough it was only successful because:

a) The Empire allowed it to be. Throughout the entire war, Ulfric publicly stayed in Windhelm as jarl, unquestioned. The Empire could surely deploy more resources, and with the port facilities at Solitude could have supported a far superior navy than Windhelm could have ever dreamed. With a tiny dock and a long bridge over a big drop being the only ways into the city, the Siege of Windhelm would be the easiest siege ever. The only explanation is that Tullius and Hadvar are telling the truth: the Empire doesn't really want to win this war, because they actually agree with the Stormcloaks.

b) The supreme efforts of the Dovahkiin (or some random BAMF, depending on your playthrough). Not only do you slay scores of soldiers in each battle, but your supremely inspiring presence inspires your own force to rally time and time again, long past when they should all be dead. The targets aren't particularly inspired and don't seem to have that much tactical advantage.

Yes, Jarl Ulfric gives a good speech and is great at rousing the rabble, but he couldn't execute a war to save his life (he needed an apocalyptic monster to do that, remember), and his own hold is in shambles (either make the Dunmer slaves or full free citizens. Second class citizens are a terrible compromise that makes no one happy and is less efficient than either. Oh, yeah, and the murderer left a trail of blood a mile long, buddy. Exercise some discipline with your guards and maybe they'll see it next time).

Anyway, I think an Empire/Dominion conflict would actually be pretty engaging. I think more people would want to give the Thalmor a shot than people think, especially if Bethesda turned down the evil a bit. The Empire is in decline, but there are a lot of potential allies that could turn the tide, and if the Hammerfall conflict has a lesson, it's that the Dominion isn't unbeatable. It's early in a new era, and Tamriel is in turmoil, ripe for the forging of a new dynasty, and what better agent of change than an unknown adventurer, born under a certain sign, to rise to power and craft Tamriel in their own image?

Volanere

Grand Magister
im sure the between the Summerset Isles, Elsweyr and Valenwood they have their share of badasses to.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I don't see why we're talking about Ulfric Stormcloak and his soldiers, I thought this thread is about Empire vs the AD?

In a proper war between Empire vs Dominion a second time. I'd say Empire, they defeated the Thalmor army in Cyrodiil after losing their Capital and most of their soldiers, so they can fight well. Would just depend though, they need to secure the two provinces to the south of Cyrodiil, there is just no point in attacking Summerset Isles when the main land isn't secure. It would take years and years to secure Valenwood and elsweyr, from forests with moving trees and from what I heard very dangerous animals then to dense jungles. Was the reason the Empire didn't continue the last Great War, the fighting would go on for years and years, jungle warfare is very hard, Imperial armor + dense jungle isn't a good mix, from the heat and movement, you'd have to sacrifice protection but also with any jungle warfare it isn't the enemy that you have to worry about the jungle itself can kill.

So if they had their entire Military back to full strength then launch an invasion to the south, after a few years they can defeat the AD, but only way to defeat the AD is to invade the Summerset Isles. And you wouldn't do that unless you had proper man power and a fleet of ships. I hope the next elderscrolls at least will have the beginnings of the Great War in Valenwood or Elsweyr, be cool to see the Legion in dense jungles though.

The Master Great Beard

The Grand Master Great Beard
I don't see why we're talking about Ulfric Stormcloak and his soldiers, I thought this thread is about Empire vs the AD?

In a proper war between Empire vs Dominion a second time. I'd say Empire, they defeated the Thalmor army in Cyrodiil after losing their Capital and most of their soldiers, so they can fight well. Would just depend though, they need to secure the two provinces to the south of Cyrodiil, there is just no point in attacking Summerset Isles when the main land isn't secure. It would take years and years to secure Valenwood and elsweyr, from forests with moving trees and from what I heard very dangerous animals then to dense jungles. Was the reason the Empire didn't continue the last Great War, the fighting would go on for years and years, jungle warfare is very hard, Imperial armor + dense jungle isn't a good mix, from the heat and movement, you'd have to sacrifice protection but also with any jungle warfare it isn't the enemy that you have to worry about the jungle itself can kill.

So if they had their entire Military back to full strength then launch an invasion to the south, after a few years they can defeat the AD, but only way to defeat the AD is to invade the Summerset Isles. And you wouldn't do that unless you had proper man power and a fleet of ships. I hope the next elderscrolls at least will have the beginnings of the Great War in Valenwood or Elsweyr, be cool to see the Legion in dense jungles though.

the stormcloaks effect the war because they effect The Empire and their main enemy is the Thalmor

Adventurer

I would enroll a sword and board imperial officer. Then I would beat the sh*it out of the -Dominion :D. (Check my sig to see how.)
Then I would start a high elf mage and do the same with the Empire :)
Then I would play a redguard mercenary and aid the one that pays the most :p.
Then I would build a dark-elf assassin and destroy both :eek:

Seriously Empire would be my choice, but I usually like to play both sides.