• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Haru17

Lost Falmer
Lightning spells need to do AoE damage to nearby enemies (in the water) when they hit water. It is a simple scientific fact that water conducts electricity and, despite TES's magic and mythical creatures it still has gravity, friction, heat, and the like. Therefore this function shout be added.

After all, who wouldn't want to fus ro dah some fool off a cliff, into a lake and shock him to death?

Iveri Sarothil

Nightly vampire attacks in the rain in Riverwood just got 10 times funnier.

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
ice spells should freeze it too

Haru17

Lost Falmer
ice spells should freeze it too

That would be equally awesome. Screw water walking, I'm a cryomancer, I make my own path.

Nightly vampire attacks in the rain in Riverwood just got 10 times funnier.

So someone fus ro dah's a bandit off a cliff. They fall an incredible distance, but survive by landing in a small pond. They're relieved and happy, then ZAP fried by lightning! It'd be amazing...

Bad-People

Supreme Overlord of the Barbarian Tribe of Hothor
I was just thinking this the other day. I had a Chain Lightning spell queued up and I walked into a cave that was full of water. And just on instinct I went into favorites and switched to Incinerate.

And for added realism, if you are standing in the water at the time, you should accidentally fry yourself :)

Ritterkreuz

Shock the water and watch as a bunch of dead fish float up to the top!

Benthos

Proud Mer
So basically add a bit of Bioshock in Skyrim with the effects of the Plasmids. To be honest, I was thinking this last night while I was playing the quest where you take on the Blood Horkers pirates and their wizard.
Shock the water, yes, freeze them solid and bust them down, yes, already got the oil spill fire traps, yes, inkpot, no.

Ru;indil

Mage Lord of Skywatch
So basically add a bit of Bioshock in Skyrim with the effects of the Plasmids. To be honest, I was thinking this last night while I was playing the quest where you take on the Blood Horkers pirates and their wizard.
Shock the water, yes, freeze them solid and bust them down, yes, already got the oil spill fire traps, yes, inkpot, no.

Now that you mention it , I recall Bioshock! Loved the Plasmids in it. I kept on either freezing or electrocuting those 'creepy guys and gals' xD.

Lightning spells need to do AoE damage to nearby enemies (in the water) when they hit water. It is a simple scientific fact that water conducts electricity and, despite TES's magic and mythical creatures it still has gravity, friction, heat, and the like. Therefore this function shout be added.

After all, who wouldn't want to fus ro dah some fool off a cliff, into a lake and shock him to death?
They's have to add opportunities to use this, too. I can think of a few off the top of my head, but not a lot that you could do without setting it up first. (Kiting Foresworn, out the north ramp of Karthspire Camp, with dual cast Chain Lightning.)

I'd just add spells, like "Thunderball" mass stagger, no damage, Apprentice level. Maybe a Thunderclap in close quarters at Novice. (So I don't need a shield.)

Haru17

Lost Falmer
They's have to add opportunities to use this, too. I can think of a few off the top of my head, but not a lot that you could do without setting it up first. (Kiting Foresworn, out the north ramp of Karthspire Camp, with dual cast Chain Lightning.)

I'd just add spells, like "Thunderball" mass stagger, no damage, Apprentice level. Maybe a Thunderclap in close quarters at Novice. (So I don't need a shield.)

This'd help for future titles, but freezing and electrifing water would be good features even without changes. Not only would they be useful out in the world, but there is a lot of water in dungeons as well.

As far as additions go I see this just like oil in dungeons. Shallow puddles, when electrocuted, would shock people for 10 seconds or so, then evaporate in a cloud of steam.

Freezing rivers, lakes, and waterfalls would be just about my favorite in a video game since the save feature or Z-targeting. Just imagine the bandits encased in a frozen pond, priceless!

Riften Guard

Bad Thief
I understand your want for realism, to some degree. I mean it's a game with dragons and magic. How realistic should it be? I mean come on mate.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
I understand your want for realism, to some degree. I mean it's a game with dragons and magic. How realistic should it be? I mean come on mate.

When water gets cold it freezes, we see plenty of that in snowy, icy Skyrim. It also conducts electricity. Games aim to replicate familiar mechanics, especially the elemental ones found in the natural world, within a fantasy world. This can be done without calculating the number of electrons in each water molecule's outer layer.

Freezing and electrifying water would just add more fun kit to destruction, and equalize the elements (fire already has oil and can set the environment on fire). Why is there such stubborn opposition?

Edit: Furthermore, I'm not asking for realism. I played LoZ: Wind Waker without complaining about the graphics and haven't said a word against TES: Online's stylized graphics. I'm also not complaining about snow passing through roofs. I am but advocating a new feature that would further integrate water into the gameplay as well as provide more creative opportunities for mages.

Smarty

You do know that it would take quite a bit of electricity to lethaly affect the nervous system of someone in a lake? Probably a lot more than you are able to cast, even at master destruction level. The same goes for freezing... Much faster to plant a bolt/arrow into his/her/it's head.

Sorry to burst your bubble...

Haru17

Lost Falmer
You do know that it would take quite a bit of electricity to lethaly affect the nervous system of someone in a lake? Probably a lot more than you are able to cast, even at master destruction level. The same goes for freezing... Much faster to plant a bolt/arrow into his/her/it's head.

Sorry to burst your bubble...

Well, it wouldn't necessarily electrify the entire lake, just a 15 meter-ish AoE effect. Also, lightning magic is quite strong and would certainly be able to provide enough power.

Smarty

Well, it wouldn't necessarily electrify the entire lake, just a 15 meter-ish AoE effect. Also, lightning magic is quite strong and would certainly be able to provide enough power.

Considering the damage they cause, no they are quite weak. Also, water in it's purest form is not conductive, the impurities are, dissolved inorganic solids mostly (fluorides, silicates, phosphates etc), therefore the electrical charge would dissipate in the entire lake, not just a small AoE.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
Considering the damage they cause, no they are quite weak. Also, water in it's purest form is not conductive, the impurities are, dissolved inorganic solids mostly (fluorides, silicates, phosphates etc), therefore the electrical charge would dissipate in the entire lake, not just a small AoE.

It depends on the size of the lake. Ponds and streams would be very possible to thoroughly fry.

Smarty

It depends on the size of the lake. Ponds and streams would be very possible to thoroughly fry.

Size does matter in this particular situation, but for the charge to be lethal, it would still require a great deal of energy.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts