Elder scrolls after life questions.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Janus3003

Skyrim Marriage Counselor
I'm not well versed on Elder Scrolls lore, but I imagine that if you promised yourself to several Daedric princes, you would either have your soul torn apart on death, or it could be copied and sent to each plane, but each instance of "you" would have full knowledge and feeling of everything that's going on with the other "yous."
Or something to that effect. Maybe the Daedric princes would just destroy reality as we know it fighting over you. Thanks a lot, Dovahkiin.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
Great points, but that opens up another question.
What about people like the Dragonborn who serve multiple Daedric Princes?
I'm a Breton who helped Meridia, and just did Molag Bal and Peryite, where do I go?

The Dragonborn, Hero of Cyrodiil, Nerevarine, etc. Only provide the Princes with a service in return for a reward. They don't actually swear to any specific Daedric Prince, but simply assist them in their goals.

Svarnor

Shadowcloak of Nocturnal
Ah... But what about the companions Questline? If so, do we to Hircine's Realm, and how does that affect the others?

Janus3003

Ah... But what about the companions Questline? If so, do we to Hircine's Realm, and how does that affect the others?
I'm pretty sure that yes, you'll be going to the Hunting Grounds if you're a werewolf. Kodlak specifically brings that up as a reason he wants to be cured of lycanthropy.

Ste Eccles

"But I too have a question, in the loading screens they say it's the nord's belief that they go to sovngarde, is it just what they believe or is it actually true?"
I think the reason it says "belief" is that they don't have proof ('til the Dragonborn comes back and can fill them in!) It's like saying Christians believe they go to heaven. Until they arrive, they don't have proof. It is a belief. Until the Dovahkin goes and comes back, as far as I'm aware no-one's been and returned to confirm it?

ChiefScalyNipples

Dictator of my bedroom
"But I too have a question, in the loading screens they say it's the nord's belief that they go to sovngarde, is it just what they believe or is it actually true?"
I think the reason it says "belief" is that they don't have proof ('til the Dragonborn comes back and can fill them in!) It's like saying Christians believe they go to heaven. Until they arrive, they don't have proof. It is a belief. Until the Dovahkin goes and comes back, as far as I'm aware no-one's been and returned to confirm it?

Yeah that's kinda what I meant by that question I just wanted to get it clear. Thanks for the help.

Xivia4

The issue of Sovngarde confused me at first because every Nord my character encountered spoke of Sovngarde quite fondly as if they too would end up there. However, I don't recall seeing any normal Nords there. By "normal" I mean non-hero/non-warrior Nords. So that means since most Nords worship the Nine they would go to that plane instead of Sovngarde. Or does each divine have their own plane?

Yukari Yakumo

The Countless Violet Clouds
I think you find in a previous ES game that some scholar spent his life researching Sovngarde and when he died he was able to communicate his goal and descriptions of Sovngarde to a medium in Cyrodil, which she recorded in a journal.

Janus3003

The issue of Sovngarde confused me at first because every Nord my character encountered spoke of Sovngarde quite fondly as if they too would end up there. However, I don't recall seeing any normal Nords there. By "normal" I mean non-hero/non-warrior Nords. So that means since most Nords worship the Nine they would go to that plane instead of Sovngarde. Or does each divine have their own plane?
I read on UESP that Sovngarde is actually a realm within Aetherius, though I could have sworn it used to say that it was just the Nords' name for Aetherius.
Still, based on UESP and the game itself, I figure that that particular mead hall you see is basically a "club." Nords wind up near it by default, but few are allowed in.
Granted, I haven't done the main quest in quite a while.

Svarnor

Shadowcloak of Nocturnal
It just occured to me that the heroes of Sovngarde refer to it as Shor's realm. Perhaps the theory of the Aedra having their own planes, like the Daedric planes of Oblivion, is not too far off.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I read on UESP that Sovngarde is actually a realm within Aetherius, though I could have sworn it used to say that it was just the Nords' name for Aetherius.
Aetherius is a generic term used to collectively describe the immortal planes beyond Oblivion, including Sovngarde.
The sources of magic are the many and diverse heavens beyond the void, collectively known as the Aetherius.

Ste Eccles

To the question about the statement "Nords believe that
I think you find in a previous ES game that some scholar spent his life researching Sovngarde and when he died he was able to communicate his goal and descriptions of Sovngarde to a medium in Cyrodil, which she recorded in a journal.
Didn't know that, thanks for letting me know. Assuming the current Nords would view the writings of a medium from a few hundred years ago as being possibly not 100% reliable though, so still I'd suggest that "belief" is used for the same reason. I dunno, that was my take on it.

Lore nerds such as that guy are very useful to have around.

stagnant94

did anyone else think sovngard was pretty empty? i'd also like to point out that if too many people go there they are going to have problems with over crowding. and don't get me started on those damn dark elves. they'll probably start emigrating over there after windhelm's full

Pileggi

My character currently has her soul pledged to both Hircine and Nocturnal, so who knows where her soul will end up when she dies.

georgeleus

Frost trolls are gay.
People, I come to you in search for a nagging answer.
I post here because I don't want to spam other threads by posting something probably insigniffiant to many.

The first time I reached Whiterun I found a character in the Bannered Mare. Uthgerd The Unbroken.
She's been at extraordinary use to me because I used to take her to almost every battle; and she did help a lot.
But after ... dunno, the 10th time she's been my follower, after I sent her home and returned to Whiterun myself (by fasttravel), a courier announced me her death.

Does the game have a script in wich allows the followers to have a limited amount of "helping availibility" ?
Or was it pure coincidence...

nassim_101

It doesnt really matter wich race you are but who/what you worship. If a Nord doesnt worship Shor/talos or doesnt believe in Sovngard he will not go there. In skyrim, Tsun ( the half naked guy who guards that big bridge in Sovngard) told me that i was welcome again when i died ( im an Orc).

Normal people will go to the Dreamsleeve when they die ( your memories will be destroyed and you will be reincarnated)

If you are a werewolf, you will go to the hunting grounds when you die ( the realm of hircine)

If you are a nightingale you will serve Nocturnal in the afterlive

As vampire you will probably go to Molag bal

As a darkbrotherhood member you will go to the Void

If you are killed and your soul gets trapped in a soul gem, you will go to the Soul carin

Argonians in black marsh worship the Hist three, if they die their soul will return to the Hist and be reincarnated in another argonian

Orcs and others that worship malacath will go to his realm and thats how it is with the other races. It depends on your religion i guess

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
If you are a werewolf, you will go to the hunting grounds when you die ( the realm of hircine)

As vampire you will probably go to Molag bal
Pretty spot on overall.

There are two exceptions though for vampires and werewolves, people who made the bargain of accepting the power for the cost of their soul go to the given realm of and serve the associated Daedra.

However, for people who randomly just become a werewolf or vampire from a chance encounter from one of the two types (like if they became a vampire because they were bitten by one randomly) never make the deal of their soul for being granted that power and thus owe no debt to the associated Daedra.