Do you think Necromancy is evil?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
if you are using necromancy can't you just make the dead collect themselves?

That is smart thinking. We'll form our own Guild aswell, Necromancy deserves more attention. There already seems to be a rank structure between Necromancers. Form our own Council of Arch Necromancers.

PrisonerLizzie

Here's a thought, what if someone has donated their body to Necromancy? Sort of like donating their body to science...is it still evil then or is it just carrying out the person's final wishes?

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
Here's a thought, what if someone has donated their body to Necromancy? Sort of like donating their body to science...is it still evil then or is it just carrying out the person's final wishes?
Sure it starts with consigning your self to a necromancer. But whats next? Thralls voting or even getting married?

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
It does put a new spin on the argument.

JoeReese

People just fear what they do not understand. In time they'll accept us and we'll start a chain of stores around the land.

Pick up all your Necromancy needs at a Thrall-Mart near you!

Thrall-Mart ... o_O

Funny, that sounds very similar to a large and well-known retail chain. Have you seen what stumbles, oblivious and groaning, around there most days?

ftwcake

For the defilement of the dead, especially in a setting such as Skyrim where things are bound by honour with crypts in every direction; I personally deem it a fairly offensive and 'evil' thing to do :p Not that I'm against it! ... (in-game that is)

JoeReese

I have used it, sometimes on friends, but usually against enemy necromancers. My most common conjuration is a Dremora Lord, though I sometimes use Atronachs. When I come across a powerful mage, who can be more dangerous to the enemy (read: Keep my sorry Adam-55 alive longer) then I do whatever must be done. As someone else said, when you're trying to kill me, you give me the green light.

I have actually thralled a dead follower though. Eric got killed in the college battle over the Eye of Magnus. He never disappeared, and I could drag him to the door but not through it. I tried everything I could to get him out of there. When I got the thrall spells, I took dead thrall too. I thralled him and walked him back to Rorikstead, where I put him back in his Blades armor and "buried" him on the peak overlooking his town.

Best I could do under the circumstances. It's not always a bad thing, just like war.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer

Its not really a fair comparison. It is exactly like donating organs, just your entire body, its not evil if you give permission and its used specifically for academic reasons. Necromancy in Skyrim is much different (apart from any situation like what you have described) where its like you walk into a graveyard and start reanimating all the bodies or kill someone and use their corpse for your own good rather then just to observe and learn, that would be desecrating dead bodies and that is considered disrespectful and "evil".

JoeReese

I disagree there. If you and I are friends/companions/teammates, we get attacked and I go down, you had damned well better pick up my weapon. It certainly won't do me any good anymore, and it's a waste for you to fall if there exists a means to stay alive. I would feel no differently if I could be raised from my death. I'd be pissed if you didn't.

PrisonerLizzie

Its not really a fair comparison. It is exactly like donating organs, just your entire body, its not evil if you give permission and its used specifically for academic reasons. Necromancy in Skyrim is much different (apart from any situation like what you have described) where its like you walk into a graveyard and start reanimating all the bodies or kill someone and use their corpse for your own good rather then just to observe and learn, that would be desecrating dead bodies and that is considered disrespectful and "evil".
So what if I'm not mistaken what you are saying the school of Necromancy itself is not wholly evil however the practitioners of the craft in the realm of Skyrim as we know it are evil/corrupt.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Power corrupts absolute power corrupts absolutely. The practice aint necessarily evil, but the people who use it though different story.

JoeReese

Did you know that on some occasions, in order to save your life, medical professionals stop your heart?

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
So what if I'm not mistaken what you are saying the school of Necromancy itself is not wholly evil however the practitioners of the craft in the realm of Skyrim as we know it are evil/corrupt.

It really depends. Like I said, if someone donates their body to be studied on then I don't see anything wrong with it but how often do you think that happens in a place like Skyrim? If they're robbing graves for cadavers which would most likely happen well that's where Necromancy goes wrong. Not only that but it's considered a dark magic, due to dealing with dead bodies and most Necromancy users typically end up being not so high on the moral chart because of this.

Power corrupts absolute power corrupts absolutely. The practice aint necessarily evil, but the people who use it though different story.

Exactly that. Any destruction spell has the potential to be ''evil'', it all depends on the mage wielding it and there intentions. If they are choosing to use the destruction spell to kill an innocent person this would be considered evil, but if the intentions were to kill an ''evil'' enemy then it would be classed as being a ''good'' act. I guess it's not really the spell itself....yeah its a bit dark raising someone from the dead, but i think who is wielding the spell and what they are wielding the spell for has the potential to be evil.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
If I raise the body of a bandit and use him to fight the rest of his fellows, that Bandit finally did some good in his life... Also I haven't heard any of my undead say "thank you."

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
If I raise the body of a bandit and use him to fight the rest of his fellows, that Bandit finally did some good in his life... Also I haven't heard any of my undead say "thank you."
Some good in his un-life you mean?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts