Do you think Necromancy is evil?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Dar'Neko

Qahnaarin
My only character that uses it is evil, so I guess I believe it's kind of evil.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
It honestly depends. It can be more inherently evil due to the idk desecration of the dead. But it is more an ends justify the means for my necromancer. It honestly is so pragmatic that I can't help but not think it as evil. After all You never really have the chance to raise an undead army to slaughter entire holds. for basic combat I say, "FIGHT FOR ME FALLEN FOES! AHAHAHA!!!" then go on a power trip.

to quote Sweeney Todd "Look at it as thrift, A gift. If you catch my drift."

Professor Skalvar

General of the Euphoric Gentleman's Club
I think of Necromancy like Muslims. September 11th was a tragic day for many Americans, especially to those who lost family and friends the day of the "attack". Because we were told that Osama Bin Laden and Al-Qaeda were responsible for the incident, many incidents where Muslims were harassed and discriminated against took place almost immediately after the "attack". While I may have my opinions about the incidents surrounding September 11th, I still think it is a shame that these people received (probably still do to an extent) such flack for something they themselves weren't responsible for. Necromancy also has a bad reputation due to the history surrounding Mannimarco. He had tension with Arch-Mage Galerion over the use of mysticism to raise the dead. It resulted in Mannimarco becoming the leader of a Necromancy-based cult and his attempt to destroy the Mages Guild. Had Galerion not condemned him for raising the dead, I truly believe Necromancy would be just as accepted as any other school of magic. If you want an example of how necromancy can be a good thing, read The Exodus.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
but that book did not help the view of necromancers. the last lines kinda killed it.

I quote "From the other room came the sound of tiny footsteps.
'Vralla, go give your parents a big hug,' said Jalmar.
Munthen and Cinneta turned, and the screaming began. "

Professor Skalvar

General of the Euphoric Gentleman's Club
but that book did not help the view of necromancers. the last lines kinda killed it.

I quote "From the other room came the sound of tiny footsteps.
'Vralla, go give your parents a big hug,' said Jalmar.
Munthen and Cinneta turned, and the screaming began. "
I read that part before attaching it and I understand why it "killed it." I was hoping the main part of the book would receive the most focus as it does point out that not all Necromancers are evil. Yesterday, I completed a dungeon quest where I had to save this necromancer. Interestingly enough, she was arrested for practicing Necromancy in Riften and escaped to join a group of necromancers so that she could continue her studies. If only she knew such practice was acceptable at the College of Winterhold...

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Yeah. I love necromancy for some odd reason, does that make my character evil. Maybe. Does it make the practice evil. No, after all America is not seen as evil for using a nuclear weapon as far as I can tell. And that weapon is a monstrosity no matter how you look at it.

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
For someone who refuses to walk on top of the grass knowing that 6 feet under theirs a casket with a dead body in it inside the cemeteries, I must say that I honestly don't have a problem with necromancy. I don't even consider my charterers evil for using the art either. When enemies (Rouge wizards, bandits,etc) challenges my character to the fight to the death it's all fair game. They've essentially granted my characters full permission to use whatever method he desires, and if that means using one of your dead comrade to win the fight then so be it. It's not like my character is walking around with human thralls. Before he goes back into public view, in private, he releases his thrall slaves.... even to the point where his slaves thanks him for freeing them.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
Personally, I don't find anything wrong with Necromancy but I can understand why its viewed as it is in Skyrim lore, it is disgracing the dead, really. I was thinking of using it with my character but I find Atronachs to be much more versatile and useful. The higher-tier Necromancers in Skyrim are a bitch and a half to fight sometimes, though.

I don't think the views on it would change though even if the history of Necromancy wasn't so dark. From what I've gathered, the lore states Mannimarco as just another reason not to like it. I think this is especially true in Skyrim, where the custom of respecting the dead is very concrete. It might be differently viewed throughout Tamriel, especially by High Elves and Bretons, but the general consensus would remain the same. Whether or not good intentions are involved, you still are desecrating corpses and I think NPCs have a problem with that, coupled with the fact that its very, very powerful when used right and a Necromancer is more likely to embrace evil through that school of magic.

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
My character Kalin approaches it from a purely academic viewpoint. It is an art that animates the inanimate. No different inherently from other schools of conjuration that give life to stone, or ice or fire. The body are raw materials, nothing more!

The moral ambiguity comes into play with the nature of procurement of those materials, and not with the magic of necromancy itself.

PrisonerLizzie

I don't see Necromancy as necessarily evil, more so rude. Just plain old bad manners. Your dead, asleep...and now here I come along wake you up and make you my slave....what an a**hole I am

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
They're onto us lads, we better stop raiding Falkreath cemetery.

But no Necromancy isn't evil you're confusing us Necromancers with those weird people who practice Necrophilia.

PrisonerLizzie

They're onto us lads, we better stop raiding Falkreath cemetery.

But no Necromancy isn't evil you're confusing us Necromancers with those weird people who practice Necrophilia.
as long as they are still warm....

and that drauger said yes....or something that sounded vaguely like maybe...or he didn't kill me for it so it must've been yes

FullmetalHeart20

My character Kalin approaches it from a purely academic viewpoint. It is an art that animates the inanimate. No different inherently from other schools of conjuration that give life to stone, or ice or fire. The body are raw materials, nothing more!

The moral ambiguity comes into play with the nature of procurement of those materials, and not with the magic of necromancy itself.
Fire doesn't thank you for its death. It it truly right if you're doing that to a living soul?

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
People just fear what they do not understand. In time they'll accept us and we'll start a chain of stores around the land.

Pick up all your Necromancy needs at a Thrall-Mart near you!