• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Neriad13

Premium Member
The creed of all my characters is "Stay the crap away from Daedra and don't meddle in the affairs of godlike beings if you want to keep your head on your shoulders." I'm a strict Aedra worshiper.

Stereofanic

Hero of the defenceless, Champion of mankind
From the perspective of mortals, yes. But the Daedra don't share the same concept of good and evil as mortals do.

Evil is evil, if you take a life on purpose or request that another do it's evil unless the target is evil themselves or trying to kill you

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Evil is evil, if you take a life on purpose or request that another do it's evil unless the target is evil themselves or trying to kill you

What is evil to one being may not be to another. A man who takes a life on request of a Daedra may see that act as evil himself, but the Daedra who requested it may not.

Pete

I often consider deadra as either placing curses on my character or temping the character.

If one does the quest line of companions where you keep the beast in the circle, then they are a cult of Hircine, seems like the Dark Botherhood, Theives also have there own patron deadra too.

Stereofanic

What is evil to one being may not be to another. A man who takes a life on request of a Daedra may see that act as evil himself, but the Daedra who requested it may not.

And if we were in oblivion that would matter but our world means our rules. I class otherworldly races killing us on our planet as an invasion

Stereofanic

The creed of all my characters is "Stay the crap away from Daedra and don't meddle in the affairs of godlike beings if you want to keep your head on your shoulders." I'm a strict Aedra worshiper.

Good on you, don't get tempted by evil pacts

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
And if we were in oblivion that would matter but our world means our rules. I class otherworldly races killing us on our planet as an invasion

Yes, you do, but the Daedra wouldn't—that's the point I'm trying to make. Whether the game is Oblivion or Skyrim or anything else, whether they're in our world or their world, the Daedra simply do not view good and evil the same way mortals do.

A Catholic who believes in God and follows the teachings of the Bible won't suddenly change his belief just because he takes a trip to China, where the tenets of Buddhism and Taoism are followed; in the same way, a Daedra from Oblivion who comes to Nirn (or at least, has contact with those on Nirn) won't suddenly believe in the same concepts of good and evil that mortals do.

Stereofanic

Yes, you do, but the Daedra wouldn't—that's the point I'm trying to make. Whether the game is Oblivion or Skyrim or anything else, whether they're in our world or their world, the Daedra simply do not view good and evil the same way mortals do.

A Catholic who believes in God and follows the teachings of the Bible won't suddenly change his belief just because he takes a trip to China, where the tenets of Buddhism and Taoism are followed; in the same way, a Daedra from Oblivion who comes to Nirn (or at least, has contact with those on Nirn) won't suddenly believe in the same concepts of good and evil that mortals do.

So your saying murder is O.K as long as the murderer believes it is?

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
So your saying murder is O.K as long as the murderer believes it is?

I'm saying it is to the murderer. Do I personally think murder is okay? No. But a Daedra won't think murder is evil because they have no concept of evil. Simply put, you can't believe in something you don't believe in!

Stereofanic

I'm saying it is to the murderer. Do I personally think murder is okay? No. But a Daedra won't think murder is evil because they have no concept of evil. Simply put, you can't believe in something you don't believe in!

So if a deadra was to attack a guard at random would you sit it out or help the guard?

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
So if a deadra was to attack a guard at random would you sit it out or help the guard?

What does that matter? I'm not arguing about my own ethics, or the ethics of humanity as a whole. I am saying that Daedra do not have the same concept of good and evil that we do.

You clearly aren't getting it, so I'm not going to bother repeating myself any longer.

Stereofanic

What does that matter? I'm not arguing about my own ethics, or the ethics of humanity as a whole. I am saying that Daedra do not have the same concept of good and evil that we do.

You clearly aren't getting it, so I'm not going to bother repeating myself any longer.

I'm trying to figure if you are saying you respect that they redefine evil or just pointing it out

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
Evil is in the eye of the beholder. :Dovahkiin:

IllusionaryDream

Sweetroll Thief
In Oblivion and Skyrim my characters have been very tuned in with the Daedra (mainly Hircine and Nocturnal). I dont think it evil to worship or do as they ask of my character, even if it means murder. Good and evil are terms I like to view as "socially acceptable" meaning without a ruling body of concepts and opinions they wouldnt even exist! Thats what im sayin'.

Nameless1

Correct me if i'm wrong but the most benevolent deadra Azura speaks to the Nerevarine at the start of Morrowind. She should be a divine as she never does anything evil. The others all possess some evil traits.
its all a matter of opinion. A wise man once said "There is no good, no evil. There is what can be justified and what can't be." As for justification, it is merely perspective.

KrazyLizard

I have a few reasons for searching and gathering the Daedric Artifacts. First one involves the new dynamic of NPC's giving some attention to that wicked looking mace hanging on your side. Second reason comes from a deep seeded need to gather all things Unique in an Elder Scrolls game. I love to display and marvel at a collection of rare items all in one place, mine. Last, but not least when it comes to Deadra could anyone really say No to a power beyond even a Dovakin? Food for thought or maybe clutter for that empty space.

KrazyLizard

From the perspective of mortals, yes. But the Daedra don't share the same concept of good and evil as mortals do.

If I may respectfully disagree with this statement. The Daedra represent aspects of mortal sin, in their own Elder Scrolls way, therefore are inherently evil. Molag-Bol, Sithis, even Sanguine exhibit and perform acts that would be labeled as Evil. Less so in the case of Sanguine but his intentions where selfish and self serving.

What Skyrim did lack is the intervention of the Divines. The Daedra have always seemed to take more interest in the ways of mortals, more eager to give out their dreadful gifts to sow chaos in their name. Yet not once has Akatosh, Mara, or even Talos come forth with a request to be their champion.

IllusionaryDream

Sweetroll Thief
If you ask me the Daedra are more apt to get involved because most people in TES seem to be towards the "evi" side. In Skyrim the only "good" faction is the Companions, but they also are followers of Hircine. The good guys just seem to be few and far between. Even the Empire, and the Stormcloaks for that matter, are nothing but murderers who justify it by their own means.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
If I may respectfully disagree with this statement. The Daedra represent aspects of mortal sin, in their own Elder Scrolls way, therefore are inherently evil. Molag-Bol, Sithis, even Sanguine exhibit and perform acts that would be labeled as Evil. Less so in the case of Sanguine but his intentions where selfish and self serving.

From UESP:
As Daedra are beyond mortal comprehension, they are thought incapable of being truly "good" or "evil" in the mortal sense, and for the most part, their actions and behaviors, as well as their very natures are merely interpreted by mortals as being subjectively evil, as this is how many of the infinite Daedric concepts "transliterate" into the finite mortal world.

From Wikia:
In the Elder Scrolls universe, not all Daedra are easily defined within the ordinary bounds of good or evil. However, due to the destructive acts of some Daedric Princes, they have come to be regarded as evil beings. Amongst the majority of Tamriel's populace, the Daedra are seen as naturally evil, as many concepts of evil are directly relative to the mortal world.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts