Spoiler Dark Brotherhood - Oblivion vs. Skyrim

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Which one is superior?

• Oblivion DB

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • Skyrim DB

Votes: 22 53.7%

• Total voters

Lucien Lachance

Speaker of the Black Hand
Has the Skyrim Dark Brotherhood questline and experience improved over it's predecessor's? Cast your vote.

Logan

Definitely 100% Skyrim.

Kasha

The thieves guild was better in oblivion

Lucien Lachance

Yeah, the Theives' Guild in Oblivion seemed to be trying to steal for a good cause. In Skyrim they were like the Mafia.

The Black Fist

I think the DB in Skyrim was better. It had its own story going about half way through. In Oblivion the subplot was only there for the last two or three missions.

Umm no. Oblivion had a much deeper plot and you felt more like a killer in Oblivion missions. In skyrim you just wait till the guards are gone and then you just one hit the target. That is fun..? In oblivion you were dropping moose heads on people, being stealthy and killing people, and the plot was much deeper. In skyrim there is one twist. So they wanted you dead big deal. Oblivion had you killing off members without knowing it, and so on. As to the thieves guild lol...Skyrim was a joke. I already forgot the last quest for it because it was so boring but didn't it have you killing someone? Member in Oblivion when you stole that elder scroll and sneaking past dumb guards...? Yea that plops was hard.

Lucien Lachance

Umm no. Oblivion had a much deeper plot and you felt more like a killer in Oblivion missions. In skyrim you just wait till the guards are gone and then you just one hit the target. That is fun..? In oblivion you were dropping moose heads on people, being stealthy and killing people, and the plot was much deeper. In skyrim there is one twist. So they wanted you dead big deal. Oblivion had you killing off members without knowing it, and so on. As to the thieves guild lol...Skyrim was a joke. I already forgot the last quest for it because it was so boring but didn't it have you killing someone? Member in Oblivion when you stole that elder scroll and sneaking past dumb guards...? Yea that pl*** was hard.

I agree with you for the most part, but Skyrim's DB did deliver on the thrills. Nothing beats the intensity of when Motierre asks you to kill the Emperor.

Lucien Lachance

True, and I believe that to be its weakness. In Oblivion, you were but a small sliver in the giant machine of the Dark Brotherhood. And it wasn't just a guild, no. It was a religious cult of murderers who worshipped "nothing" and a mother who killed her children. It felt BIG. The Black Hand, the Five Tenets, Lachance's mannersisms and creepy rants, they all contributed to its feel.

But in Skyrim, the Brotherhood feels more like a loose organization of a bunch of bandits. Yeah, you have the name and the mission, but the abandonment of the Five Tenets and the Black Hand makes the DB much less interesting, run-of-the-mill assassin's guild.

Logan

Well if you read the lore the DB was really small in Skyrim and hasn't branched out into Skyrim like it did in Oblivion just yet.

Lucien Lachance

Yeah, the DB is supposed to be almost completely gone from Tamriel in TES V. This makes sense, and it does add a bit of realism to the group, but I like the power and fear they commanded in Oblivion regardless.

Deadhand

PLEASE DON'T EAT THOSE SOCKS!
Well, your opinion on the experience is one thing, the experience in Oblivion might have been more to your liking, but I enjoyed the background of the DB more in Skyrim. The machine has broke down. The DB are living on the fringe of existence. It was up to you to return them to glory. The person who took you in tried to stab you in the back and ended up her own black sacrament. Personally the DB was pretty damn awesome in Skyrim, as was the TG. Of course these are all opinions, so... different strokes for different folks. :)

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
The Dark Brotherhood had better characters in Skyrim, end of. I grew attached to each one. I was utterly heartbroken when most of them were killed off. That says a lot.

NoVa

Bossmer
In Skyrim the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood have both fallen on hard times. It seems to me like a convenient excuse to put in two guilds without putting much effort into their quests. I definitely noticed a lack of attention to detail in the Dark Brotherhood quests. Yeah you get to kill the emperor.. but the experience wasn't any different from killing the pirate captain in Oblivion. The wedding assassination took more planning to get away with than the emperor's.. which doesn't even make sense. The loot from the Thieves Guild kept it interesting (Nightingale <3) but it was lacking a sense of importance to the world of Skyrim. I know it's supposedly your job to restore prestige to the guild but again.. convenient excuse.

Deadhand

PLEASE DON'T EAT THOSE SOCKS!
I was quite happy to kill Cicero. Stupid Jesters. I hate them only slightly less than clowns. Sucks I have to wear that rube's hat, since you can't enchant headpieces with sneak and I haven't seen any other item with +THIRTY FREAKIN' FIVE PERCENT sneak on a headpiece... sheesh. I look like such a dork, but I have +195% sneak and boethiah's ebony mail armor, which makes you quieter, and poisons bad guys that are close to you... Pretty awesome when you can shoot someone in the face, and the ones that aren't one-shot run up to you, stare you in the face as you watch your "sighted" meter tick down til your hidden again, them seeing nothing... One more arrow and that is all she wrote. :3

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts