Crossbow Or Bows, What do you prefer

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

NewZodiac

My dad was a big hunter when I was groing up and he never used a gun, always used a bow. So, to answer the questions with words of wisdom from my dad.... guns and crossbows are for pussies. Lol.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Those "pussies" will, most likely, be the last ones standing. :sadface: Life or death, I'm voting for the gun :p.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
2 Steady Hand perks are much better. Aside from the fact that it doesn't have a cool down time you have much more refined control of the effect with the perks.
I have my archer tree filled with the exception of bulls-eye (I glitched out at Archery 98 and its not rising anymore) and I only got the fist critical perk. But slow time makes thinks much easier when fighting groups at just out of sword range. Then the zoom does.

Squirrel_killer-

Those "pussies" will, most likely, be the last ones standing. :sadface: Life or death, I'm voting for the gun :p.
Life or death I'm voting for the guy who was smart enough to bring back up or have a good solid plan in mind.

Nymod

Again that's leading and a fallacious way of phrasing the issue. Perks are finite, and any character build that even remotely embraces the roleplaying nature of the game requires that they be significantly more finite than the game mechanics allow. Making perk investment choices is naturally going to close off other perk path choices with that kind of build. Your edited comment only emphasizes that point. The perk investments for a crafting build yield astronomically better benefits than the weapon specialty perks, but when you add in, for example the 10 perks I mentioned for dual wielding, 9-10 perks for Light Armor, and 11 perks for the left branch of the Archery tree your already at level 50 (or higher) which is your basic final build for a role-playing character. Even then there are better triple perks for damage you could take at that point up the right side of the Stealth perk tree. Also at that point extra damage offers you no practical benefit even on Master difficulty settings. Like I said before, you're paying for sand in the desert. Have fun with that.
Jesus Christ, how about you let people play the game however the hell they want?
Some people have way too much free time

Kaine777999

I used to use the bow for roughly 25-30% of all kills, usually for what I would call assassinations, or a lesser group cull. I would rarely use it outside unless I was attacking a group of enemies in a static position.
Now I use both, the bow though has now dropped to 5-10% use and the Crossbow is around 45% use. I keep the bow for novelty kills, and the crossbow is definitely my new primary. It is useful and if you are clever versatile. Plus if you have it drawn and something surprises you, it only takes a flick of the trigger and it is dead, or seriously hurt.
I should point out, most of my kills are from a hidden position (85-90%) and the reload is a great way to wait for suspicion to die down, plus the bash ability is just fun.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Jesus Christ, how about you let people play the game however the hell they want?
Some people have way too much free time
What on earth possessed you to make such an irrelevant statement to a thread after over a month has already passed by? That has nothing to do with my post. You can play naked, unarmed and perkless for all I care. This was discussion about what effect making certain perk choices have over others. He claimed it had value and I simply pointed out how low that value was and that it can mean closing off other perk choices that will achieve the same goal with better results.

Zappus

Im kind of lost somewhere in between. I love how the crossbow looks and feels. Additionally i use the weapon used to hunt vampires in return to humiliate dawnguard.

Yet as cool as the crossbow looka i am forced to use my bow. Firstly since it has generaly better stats than my crossbow and
[SPOILER!!!!] it allows me to block out the sun[END SPOILER].

I have found a decent combination though. I use the bow for most undead fights or generaly intence combat, and save a crossbow with soul trap enchant for a ceremonial kill by a shot to the heart or back of the neck once target was beaten into submission.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Nymod

What on earth possessed you to make such an irrelevant statement to a thread after over a month has already passed by? That has nothing to do with my post. You can play naked, unarmed and perkless for all I care. This was discussion about what effect making certain perk choices have over others. He claimed it had value and I simply pointed out how low that value was and that it can mean closing off other perk choices that will achieve the same goal with better results.
See? Too much free time
Now how about we go back to the ACTUAL topic of discussion instead of arguing endlessly to prove to people on the Internet how big our egos are mmh?

Crossbows feel much more effective than bows but lack flexibility imo, but tbh there's no reason to not use both

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Now how about we go back to the ACTUAL topic of discussion instead of arguing endlessly to prove to people on the Internet how big our egos are mmh?
There's no ego in making simple accurate observations in response to another person's post in this thread, notwithstanding your complete inability to grasp the concept. As far as posting to respond to the OP, you're the one that felt the need to revive the tangential line of discussion by making an irrelevant comment as your first post in these forums.
standalone

Lizzifer

Watch out for hop-ons.
I prefer the bows, simply because of the sound they make when you draw back. I love it.

Ender209

I prefer the bow because it is more skill applied and i love the bows more than most othere projectiles.

Tazi

I've been playing for months and I didn't know there were two different types of bows. -__-

But I did notice that now my bows are pointless b/c they went from 106 with Dwarven arrow equipped down to 51. So......now I'm at a loss. It was my main thing. I use one-handed and it's great in close range. Pointless for far away sneaking shots and even more worthless when trying to hit flying dragons.

Squirrel_killer-

See? Too much free time

Crossbows feel much more effective than bows but lack flexibility imo, but tbh there's no reason to not use both
I've been playing for months and I didn't know there were two different types of bows. -__-

But I did notice that now my bows are pointless b/c they went from 106 with Dwarven arrow equipped down to 51. So......now I'm at a loss. It was my main thing. I use one-handed and it's great in close range. Pointless for far away sneaking shots and even more worthless when trying to hit flying dragons.

There was a glitch that they patched to fix bow damage. And crossbows are Dawnguard only

Ritterkreuz

Bow, simply because I'm a PS3 owner and can't use a crossbow for the foreseeable future.

Neriad13

Premium Member
Bows. Anybody can fire a crossbow--just point and shoot. It takes real skill to use a bow.

And, yes, I realize in-game there's not that big of a difference, but this is something that just nags at me. How can you have character that's supposed to be an awesome archer and have him use a crossbow? Historically, archers were skilled men, but with the advent of the crossbow, armies would simply recruit peasants.

I've been thinking about your comment and I think I've finally come up with an answer.

What is Agmaer? A peasant who's attuned to using his pa's axe. And what does Isran need? A crack team of vampire hunters and he needs them now, with minimal time set aside for training. Using the crossbow as a primary weapon, he can very easily, very quickly get together an efficient fighting force against the rising threat. I think it's so cool how that aspect of the crossbow's history does play a role in the game.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts