Crossbow Or Bows, What do you prefer

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

feliciano182

Volanere

Grand Magister
I prefer the bow anyday over the crossbow the speed of the bow is much better. Plus i havent seen a crossbow that i can improve to match the power of the regular bow.

Daedra'Mc'Bitch

I like the crossbow partially for aesthetics in running animation and aiming. In terms of actual use, it has a quick first shot, staggers enemies, ignores armor rating, and does heavy damage. I also enjoy being able to buy steel and dwarven bolts in large bulk.

For stealth purposes, I'm pretty sure I'd go with the quieter default bow. It's hard to choose just one when you have a number of different builds, so I'm just going to go with 50/50.

feliciano182

I like the crossbow partially for aesthetics in running animation and aiming. In terms of actual use, it has a quick first shot, staggers enemies, ignores armor rating, and does heavy damage. I also enjoy being able to buy steel and dwarven bolts in large bulk.

For stealth purposes, I'm pretty sure I'd go with the quieter default bow. It's hard to choose just one when you have a number of different builds, so I'm just going to go with 50/50.

Has it been confirmed that the bow is indeed quieter than the crossbow ?

Daedra'Mc'Bitch

You know, I'm going to test that out right now. I might've spoken too soon.

Well, tested it out! Turns out the crossbow's audibility makes very little difference, so I guess they both work great for stealth. :)

Haru17

Lost Falmer

In fact the crossbow works well with stealth, refraining from using explosive bolts helps a lot, but they can still be used (I was 1-shotting enemies anyway). The explosion will alert other enemies though.

Daedra'Mc'Bitch

In fact the crossbow works well with stealth, refraining from using explosive bolts helps a lot, but they can still be used (I was 1-shotting enemies anyway). The explosion will alert other enemies though.

I almost think it's worth being detected just to see the explosion.

If I just need a long range situational weapon, like firing an opening shot before getting into melee range, or am looking for a 1 shot kill sneak attack, the Crossbow. It's easier to aim over long distances, is powerful, and although louder than the bow, an assassin shouldn't really get detected because of it assuming they have some perks in sneak when other enemies investigate.

If I'm using archery as my primary means of dealing damage, the Bow. The higher rate of fire makes it more suitable for closer ranges than the crossbow and the higher rate of fire also makes it more forgiving if I miss a shot.

For role play purposes I also give the Bow the edge. I like to craft my own bow and arrows, and crafting crossbows and bolts just doesn't feel right in comparison. I also don't have to play the Dawnguard quest right away to have access to it when I start a new character.

So to recap, because of the ease of aiming and powerful shot, I gave the Crossbow the
1. edge in opening damage to start a fight
2. and although louder, still the better sneak attack weapon as it's easier to achieve one shot kills over long distances (feels like an Elder Scrolls sniper rifle haha).

The Bow gets the edge in
1. Higher rate of fire means it's more versatile and is easier to be used as a primary weapon than the crossbow
2. Don't have to play Dawnguard and be level 10+ to have access to it.

Haha, it's a tie in my eyes! I've used both a lot with different character builds and like them both, which is awesome. My archers stick with the Bow as their primary weapon. My melee guys who just want to do some opening ranged damage before getting up close an personal use Crossbows. And my assassins start with Bows, but switch to Crossbows once I have a sufficient sneak skill and perks to where bumbling enemies "investigating" aren't much of a threat of actually detecting me.

jarif

I prefer the bow. I enjoy getting right behind my target, hitting them with an arrow, then rolling right behind them as they turn around and slit their throat. With the crossbow, I have to wait for the painfully slow reload before I can roll, making such a thing impossible.
its like a gun

jarif

AdvantagesEdit

• Crossbows are ready to fire immediately.
  • Walking speed is not affected while the crossbow is loaded.[1]
  • Crossbows fire projectiles at a higher velocity than most bows, making them better for hitting moving targets.[2]Exceptions to this are a fully drawn Ebony, Daedric or Dragonbone bow.
  • Ammunition varieties also include magical exploding bolts.
  • Crossbows are more powerful than most bows, with the regular crossbow having the same base damage as aDaedric Bow.
  • Crossbows have a built-in 50% chance to stagger opponents. If combined with the Power Shot Perk, it will always stagger a target.
DisadvantagesEdit

• A crossbow takes more time to reload than most bows need for a fully drawn shot, with the exception of the Ebony and Daedric bows, the Dragonbone bow having a faster firing rate than both of these.
  • Crossbows are slightly noisier than standard bows and can alert enemies at close range.
  • Crossbows have a shorter arc range than a standard bow.
  • There are only four types of crossbows to choose from; steel, enhanced steel, Dwarven, and enhanced Dwarven.

Black Ice

Like A Red Nose
A crossbow. Those look more badass to be having on your back and added very few even know what they are. Your like a iron age warrior among stone age warriors lol

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
I usually arm up a crossbow for civil war quests. Other than that I prefer a bow.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
So I have a Legendary dragonbone bow enchanted with "Does 25%shock damage and half as much magicka damage". I also have a legendary enhanced Dwarven crossbow with the same enchantments. I have the archery tree maxed out and wear armour jewellery with fortify archery.
To be honest I do tend to favour the crossbow more as it does slightly more damage. I don't have a problem with it's load time at all. It is especially useful against bosses when you use the exploding elemental bolts. I don't agree that it is just a "Point and shoot" weapon at all. You still need to hit the target and I have worked hard to hit enemies while on the move.
The bow is great for long range.
I also use a Daedric bow I made and enchanted with soul trap for when I need to fill more soul gems.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
correct, this is also why anyone who takes the mace perk that ignores armor is a fool. you have to sit back and think about how many enemies actually wear armor, maybe 20-25%? now think about who those enemies are, mostly bandits, right? what do bandits tend to wear? leather, fur, hide, iron, etc. with the occasional steel plated chief. these, without perks, have mostly insignificant armor ratings.

so is it worth a single corundum ingot to ignore half of armor? yeah, just don't fool yourself into thinking it makes much of a difference. also, since i mentioned it, please don't waste a perk point, or THREE, on the mace specialty perk. it does next to nothing.
Errr... What about druagr? Or assassins? Or Thalmor? Or Imperials and Stormcloaks? Or hired thugs? Or those random people you find on the roads? Lots of enemies have armor. Don't you dare tell me that they don't count.
None of them wear heavy (except the occassional Legate) other than the thugs generally speaking. In their case, I just like to beat the crap out of them with my "cast-iron pots of health sapping", loot and then sell all their stuff and keep all that gold for myself. I reserve my excellent archery skills for more challenging opponents. Hear that Moira! I'm talking to you!

Mr Forz

I'm helping. Mostly.
I've never really liked marksmanship overall, nor to spec for ranged weapon damage, so a Crossbow fits best for me.