Crossbow Or Bows, What do you prefer

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

perkecet

it's not fun, that's the point... taking the perks in speech cuts out hours of selling loot because they allow you to sell anything to anyone, stolen or not, and gives merchants more gold to buy your junk. speech perks give you more time to spend questing and having fun, while wasting less time vendoring and other boring things.

Valyn

it's not fun, that's the point... taking the perks in speech cuts out hours of selling loot because they allow you to sell anything to anyone, stolen or not, and gives merchants more gold to buy your junk. speech perks give you more time to spend questing and having fun, while wasting less time vendoring and other boring things.
I know a glitch that allows the vendor to have infinite gold. You just have to save, kill them, and reload. Takes me like 30 seconds to sell.

Lord Ironwulf

And something that really bugs me with the cross bow is that after you have shot someone and it goes into that slow motion cut-scene (which seems to be happening a lot more, don't know if it was with the patch or I just never noticed previously) there is a slight delay before you can ready another bolt. Anyone else getting this? Or am I just being picky.

HotShotDelusionz's channel - YouTube
Its happening to me to so it isnt just you

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Yes, that is all true, but does an additional 10 damage to your one handed hurt if you already have ALL of the other perks that benefit one-handed? If you already have all of the crafting perks that help one-handed, you would just be adding MORE damage.

EDIT: If you already have all the perks in alchemy/enchanting/smithing that can boost your one-handed, (which by the way is a ton), 3 more perks to add damage won't hinder you.
Again that's leading and a fallacious way of phrasing the issue. Perks are finite, and any character build that even remotely embraces the roleplaying nature of the game requires that they be significantly more finite than the game mechanics allow. Making perk investment choices is naturally going to close off other perk path choices with that kind of build. Your edited comment only emphasizes that point. The perk investments for a crafting build yield astronomically better benefits than the weapon specialty perks, but when you add in, for example the 10 perks I mentioned for dual wielding, 9-10 perks for Light Armor, and 11 perks for the left branch of the Archery tree your already at level 50 (or higher) which is your basic final build for a role-playing character. Even then there are better triple perks for damage you could take at that point up the right side of the Stealth perk tree. Also at that point extra damage offers you no practical benefit even on Master difficulty settings. Like I said before, you're paying for sand in the desert. Have fun with that.

perkecet

I know a glitch that allows the vendor to have infinite gold. You just have to save, kill them, and reload. Takes me like 30 seconds to sell.
it's sure fun to exploit the game, ain't it? the point is that if you have smithing and enchanting maxed out you can be doing hundreds of damage per hit. the bleeding damage caps at 18 damage over 3 to 7 seconds, yeah it stacks, but most things will already be dead before it matters. therefore, these perks are all but useless. there's no reason not to take these perks if you have nothing, and i mean nothing, else to spend them on. as in you're completely satisfied and have every other perk you ever want to have. outside of that situation, there no real reason to take them.

Valyn

it's sure fun to exploit the game, ain't it? the point is that if you have smithing and enchanting maxed out you can be doing hundreds of damage per hit. the bleeding damage caps at 18 damage over 3 to 7 seconds, yeah it stacks, but most things will already be dead before it matters. therefore, these perks are all but useless. there's no reason not to take these perks if you have nothing, and i mean nothing, else to spend them on. as in you're completely satisfied and have every other perk you ever want to have. outside of that situation, there no real reason to take them.
You talk about fun, but what is the fun in an overpowered sword killing everything in one hit? The extra perks in one-handed make the game have more aspects.

Dagmar

You talk about fun, but what is the fun in an overpowered sword killing everything in one hit? The extra perks in one-handed make the game have more aspects.
You don't have to make an overpowered sword. Looking at a crafting build so one dimensionally requires a lack of imagination and self control. You have more choices and flexibility with the crafting build. On Master difficulty you can choose to roleplay a warrior with a more traditional look using steel weapons and scale armor and you wont be one-hitting much of anything except low level mobs and you'll still be getting a better benefit than the weapon specialty perks. They are that feeble.

perkecet

Yes, that is all true, but does an additional 10 damage to your one handed hurt if you already have ALL of the other perks that benefit one-handed? If you already have all of the crafting perks that help one-handed, you would just be adding MORE damage.

EDIT: If you already have all the perks in alchemy/enchanting/smithing that can boost your one-handed, (which by the way is a ton), 3 more perks to add damage won't hinder you.

then why did you say this a few posts ago?
you're all over the place with your argument here. i've been talking hypothetically, which i'm pretty sure i've said.

when it comes down to it, three perks in enchanting will allow you to do a LOT more damage than the three perks in hack and slash will do. you've somehow left the realm of numbers and entered that of actually playing the game. my, and possibly others', argument is that those three perks can be spent much more effectively in terms of doing damage. that's a fact that you cannot change. however, i've been under the impression that since you posted the quoted post above, we've been talking about a situation in which all three crafting skills that you mention there are maxed in perks. what you've posted just now is a whole different scenario. one that even more so supports the fact that the perks can be spent better.

Valyn

You don't have to make an overpowered sword. Looking at a crafting build so one dimensionally requires a lack of imagination and self control. You have more choices and flexibility with the crafting build. On Master difficulty you can choose to roleplay a warrior with a more traditional look using steel weapons and scale armor and you wont be one-hitting much of anything except low level mobs and you'll still be getting a better benefit than the weapon specialty perks. They are that feeble.
So, i would still like to have them over speech perks. It justs seems like it adds more variety, like more crits and such. And i honestly think that having those perks are fun to have, and maybe you don't think so, but you don't HAVE to have the most perfect character.

perkecet

this is 100% true. this is a reason i like to get 100 enchanting as soon as possible. that way my mage characters can wear different types of robes, or even clothing, while getting benefits close to what the ugly pre-made mage robes give.

perkecet

So, i would still like to have them over speech perks. It justs seems like it adds more variety, like more crits and such. And i honestly think that having those perks are fun to have, and maybe you don't think so, but you don't HAVE to have the most perfect character.
okay, again, you're taking a discussion about how to do the most damage, while spending perks as wisely as possible, and gone a whole different direction.

i like how you say we don't HAVE TO play a certain way, as if we are telling YOU to play a certain way. play the game how you want, that's not what this was ever about

what you're basically doing is getting told "this makes you do more damage" and you're replying "but i like to play this way!" you play the game however you want, but fact is that the perks that you LIKE to take, could be spent more efficiently. there's nothing wrong with playing how you play, no matter how that is. however, there's also no way to refute the fact which is the topic of the discussion.

i think you've just gone way out into left field, seeing as you've abandoned your original argument, and made this about playstyle, when it clearly was not. i think we may be done here.

Valyn

okay, again, you're taking a discussion about how to do the most damage, while spending perks as wisely as possible, and gone a whole different direction.

what you're basically doing is getting told "this makes you do more damage" and you're replying "but i like to play this way!" you play the game however you want, but fact is that the perks that you LIKE to take, could be spent more efficiently. there's nothing wrong with playing how you play, no matter how that is. however, there's also no way to refute the fact which is the topic of the discussion.

i think you've just gone way out into left field, seeing as you've abandoned your original argument, and made this about playstyle, when it clearly was not. i think we may be done here.
Alright, i admit i lose my initial argument, and not ONCE did i say what you quoted. The reason i play skyrim is for fun, not to see how efficiently i can spend perk points. That is the last thing i will say.

NewZodiac

Just to mention my experiences with the perks/crafting...

I'm currently level 56. I have 100, and maxed out perks, in Archery, Alchemy, Enchanting and Smithing. This is all within the limits of the game (I have a PC but I never once used a console command, unless I'm glitched out and stuck between two rocks or something, and unclip myself).

My bow, after enchanting specialized Smithing and Alchemy gear for myself, hits for 921 damage, not including the enchantment which adds another 75 fire damage. Now, because of my love of RP, I've stopped using my bow entirely, unless I'm going for an execution type of kill/assassination (which is often), and use my dagger (smithed to 170 damage) instead.

I could just go around with my 900+ damage item and one shot everything but, really, where is the fun in that?

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
I personally found that with my very limited experience with crossbows while playing Skyrim at a friends house (he has it for X-Box 360 while I have it for PS3) I found having a crossbow ready to snipe out a boss or the one highest level enemy in the room then switching to a bow is most efficient. After the big guy is down, everyone else has no armor worth speaking of, therefore the 50% ignore armor factor can be ignored while I move among the shadows catching my helpless victims in a crossfire of arrows from all around them.

That said a crossbow at the ready -in theory for I have yet to have the chance to apply this in practice- would be useful when approaching a dungeon or traveling by foot since I could quickly eliminate a target then vanish to swap weapons to my bow or to reload and fire another bolt into an enemy. Still I prefer my bow greatly do to the speed, precision, and at range while maintaining silence that it can eliminate a group of helpless fools in hands such as my own. Over all I find the crossbow to be a nice addition for warrior characters to quickly kill a target at range or for a quick on the go kill for an archer to easier kill a boss before fighting his minions. As a primary means of killing it is, from my limited experience and different situations I can simulate from that experience in my head, lacking. I do however see the exploding magic bolts having some use in eliminating small weak groups of enemies, but still only as an opening attack after which I would switch back to my bow, melee weapon, or spells.

So the crossbow would only be of use under specific conditions or as a first shot opener strike unless/until I develop a tactic that makes more efficient then my bow at killing my enemies.

perkecet

I personally found that with my very limited experience with crossbows while playing Skyrim at a friends house (he has it for X-Box 360 while I have it for PS3) I found having a crossbow ready to snipe out a boss or the one highest level enemy in the room then switching to a bow is most efficient. After the big guy is down, everyone else has no armor worth speaking of, therefore the 50% ignore armor factor can be ignored while I move among the shadows catching my helpless victims in a crossfire of arrows from all around them.

That said a crossbow at the ready -in theory for I have yet to have the chance to apply this in practice- would be useful when approaching a dungeon or traveling by foot since I could quickly eliminate a target then vanish to swap weapons to my bow or to reload and fire another bolt into an enemy. Still I prefer my bow greatly do to the speed, precision, and at range while maintaining silence that it can eliminate a group of helpless fools in hands such as my own. Over all I find the crossbow to be a nice addition for warrior characters to quickly kill a target at range or for a quick on the go kill for an archer to easier kill a boss before fighting his minions. As a primary means of killing it is, from my limited experience and different situations I can simulate from that experience in my head, lacking. I do however see the exploding magic bolts having some use in eliminating small weak groups of enemies, but still only as an opening attack after which I would switch back to my bow, melee weapon, or spells.

So the crossbow would only be of use under specific conditions or as a first shot opener strike unless/until I develop a tactic that makes more efficient then my bow at killing my enemies.
this is a good strategy. more so because changing weapons often skips the lengthy reloading animation during which you can't run, shout, or do anything.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
Bows, cause they make me feel like Legolas

I have gotten that feel as well actually. Especially if I use those three magic words, Tiid klo ul. Which is the slow time shout. Use that and you can unleash a hail of arrows which cuts your enemies.

ah3nos

My dad was a big hunter when I was groing up and he never used a gun, always used a bow. So, to answer the questions with words of wisdom from my dad.... guns and crossbows are for pussies. Lol.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Dagmar

I have gotten that feel as well actually. Especially if I use those three magic words, Tiid klo ul. Which is the slow time shout. Use that and you can unleash a hail of arrows which cuts your enemies.
2 Steady Hand perks are much better. Aside from the fact that it doesn't have a cool down time you have much more refined control of the effect with the perks.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts