Character playstyles you loathe?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
So my mate is making a Redguard Battlemage/Spellsword. Today I was sitting there thinking "Yeah that sounds cool, I could give that ago" so I start the exact same build. Play till level 5 and halfway through bleak falls barrow, I simply deleted the whole file. Did not enjoy the play style at all. Combo destruction/one-hand felt awkward and far less effective at everything than my Orc 2-hand Warlord or Khajiit Rogue. Just did not want.

Are there any playstyles you just loathe? And if so... Why?

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
I absolutely cannot play a pure mage. I guess I'm a magic distrusting shield and sword nord at heart because mages just aren't very fun for me.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
I did a Mage too. Wasn't my thing. But I'd prefer a full Mage over a battle Mage. At least dual casting destruction owned from the get go.

Neriad13

Premium Member
I'm really, really not good at playing sneak-based characters, though I plan to hopefully change that in the future. It's just not in me to sneak up behind someone and slit his throat. The threat of being discovered really freaks me out. I much prefer charging straight in to battle, spells blazing or swords drawn. And strangely, though I do prefer warrior types, I have never, ever blocked once in the entirety of my time in Skyrim. Dual-wielding all the way. :cool:

Sparkz

Mysterious Creature
Being Born a magic user since the early days of rpg's i cant really stand any other archtype/class of character.Iv Tried and at about level ten i deleted the file every time.

KritikalPT

I can play mage, rogue and warrior well, however, if you ask me to mix them up, for example a rogue with Destruction, that's when things just completely fall apart. I especially can't stand the Battlemage/Spellsword archtype, it just doesn't feel right. Either give me a big sword or some spells, but don't give me both and expect something as good.

I have had fun playing thief, mage and warrior types. The one thing I don't really like all that much is dual wielding. Feels a wee bit too button-mashy for me honestly.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I'm not big into the warrior types. I just feel like they are mindless:

Mash attack button.

Block.

Mash attack button.

Block

Pause/drink potion

Mash attack button.

I half agree. I hate the mindless button-mashing type of fighting (Fable, anyone?) which is why I don't like dual-wielding in Skyrim. However, I find that with a one-handed weapon and shield, there is actually a lot of strategy - or at least, a lot of opportunity for strategy - in the way you fight. You need to time your blocks and shield bashes just right, and strike with your weapon at the optimal moments when your enemy lets his guard down. I find that my mind is very engaged whenever I fight with a one-handed weapon and shield. (I suppose the same could be said for two-handed weapons, since you can still block with them, but in my limited experience with them it did feel like button-mashing.)

What I really hate, though, is charging in, swords swinging. Hundreds of hours spent trying to get Silent Assassin ratings on the highest difficulty of Hitman: Blood Money has trained me to be Stealthy McStealthington. Even now, playing a pre-Quiet Casting destruction mage, I still sneak up on people to at least get the first hit before they realize I'm there. It's second nature to me. I can't charge in bellowing war cries for the life of me... it just feels so wrong!

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
2H + Heavy Armor... no fun for me.

The slow attack speed and massive depletion in stamina is just the cherry on top of the slow foot speed and more limited carrying capacity of this build.

Yes, I'm fully aware that there are measures I can take to rectify the above: Elemental Fury, Conditioning Perk, etc... still bugs me though....

I much prefer guile and cunning to flat out brutality.

tigersauce

Caravan Guard
I like all the basic classes: Warrior, Mage, and Assassin. The only playstyles that anger me are ones that are either incredibly advanced and thought-out or remarkably simple and primitive.

Moonwort

I really like the battle mage style. Send in your atronachs, huck some fireballs until your magicka is depleted, then wade in with sword and shield. I like the thief and archer characters too, not a big fan of 2H + heavy armor.

BrthrhdOfSteel

The Goose Assassin
I have always been a warrior type player, and have always buld this kind of character. But as i played threw skyrim, i was just so addicted to the game, i wanted to keep playing despite doing all of the main achievment based quests and A LOT of side ones. But the ol warrior was getting boaring. So for the first time in my life started to play around with other styles. I only took a few days to forget about my warrior. Now i dont think will ever follow that play style again. I am very fond of my stealth/archery only character. Way way more fun that just charging in and slashing over and over again.

SGT_Sky

Silence, My Brother
i can not play as an Archer, try as I might, I simply can not do it

Black-Tongue

Prey approaches...
I half agree. I hate the mindless button-mashing type of fighting (Fable, anyone?) which is why I don't like dual-wielding in Skyrim. However, I find that with a one-handed weapon and shield, there is actually a lot of strategy - or at least, a lot of opportunity for strategy - in the way you fight. You need to time your blocks and shield bashes just right, and strike with your weapon at the optimal moments when your enemy lets his guard down. I find that my mind is very engaged whenever I fight with a one-handed weapon and shield. (I suppose the same could be said for two-handed weapons, since you can still block with them, but in my limited experience with them it did feel like button-mashing.)

What I really hate, though, is charging in, swords swinging. Hundreds of hours spent trying to get Silent Assassin ratings on the highest difficulty of Hitman: Blood Money has trained me to be Stealthy McStealthington. Even now, playing a pre-Quiet Casting destruction mage, I still sneak up on people to at least get the first hit before they realize I'm there. It's second nature to me. I can't charge in bellowing war cries for the life of me... it just feels so wrong!

I see what you are saying. I too prefer the stealthy types. Move fast and quiet, only strike when your opponent is at his weakest. I like precision and dexterity. Unfortunately skyrim does not allow for much of the latter. I wish there was a more refined dagger or hand to hand combat system.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
I'd like a separate 'dagger' branch in the one handed tree. Maybe added chance of paralysis with each strike similar to the sword critical chance %. IMO daggers are the bomb.

KritikalPT

I'd like a separate 'dagger' branch in the one handed tree. Maybe added chance of paralysis with each strike similar to the sword critical chance %. IMO daggers are the bomb.

That would be a very welcome addition, however due to to how overpowered daggers can be once you get 30x backstab damage, it would be almost pointless, though it would be great if you get into a melee fight with someone or something that you couldn't be able to sneak, or just caught by surprise and you need to fend for yourself.

I don't know, I can never play a mage character for very long. I love more physical weapons, like swords, axes, bows, maces, shields, what have you. Whenever I play a mage it just feels weird.

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
I thought having a sword in one hand and a destruction spell in the other would be awesome. Yeah no. If I could swing my sword like normal and if destruction scaled correctly it could be a lot of fun, but in its current state it sucks.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts