Character playstyles you loathe?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Betty

Personally, I tried 2H+Heavy Armor for a while as my first character to learn the game, but I didn't enjoy it very much for very long. Button mashing, boring, and the like.

I love my sneaky assassin/archer. I always choose sneaky types, in the end.

I'm having a lot of fun with Illusion and with beating things mercilessly with my bare hands. I don't even have the heavy armor perk (Glove armor does armor rating as damage in unarmed combat) and I am still slaughtering (as Khajit). It's pretty fun, and can be challenging at times, when I give myself guidelines. (first of which being no weapons. I've messed around with using a shield some, and some spells. I am currently building up illusion a little bit. It's fun.)

I have always tried to get into pure mage type characters. I've never really been able to in most games I play. I don't like being super squishy. I love spells and their effects, but I've never been one to rely completely on magic. My standards that I almost always come back to in every game is sword-and-board of some variation and sneak types.

Betty

Also, I forgot to mention this build which I stumbled upon earlier. i think it would be a really neat challenge and a whole new element to the game.

The Pacifist.

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
I prefer either warrior-type builds or pure mage; I can't do battlemage. Though, to be honest, this is probably due to my lack of usage of much magic outside of Destruction and Restoration.

Doing a roleplayed character on a higher difficulty with a diminished HUD is teaching me the importance of strategic archery (and of getting Faendal to be a follower ASAP).

So yeah, probably battlemage - at least destruction-based battlemage.

Shadowbane

Premium Member
Vampire.....The stage 4 drawback it annoying for me. especially when the town gaurd kills the blacksmith or other merchant

Zoa Two Tails

Cloak and Dagger Artist
2H + Heavy Armor... no fun for me.

The slow attack speed and massive depletion in stamina is just the cherry on top of the slow foot speed and more limited carrying capacity of this build.

Yes, I'm fully aware that there are measures I can take to rectify the above: Elemental Fury, Conditioning Perk, etc... still bugs me though....

I much prefer guile and cunning to flat out brutality.
yeah i cant ever seem to get the 2h heavy or light armour to click for me... They are just too slow

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
yeah i cant ever seem to get the 2h heavy or light armour to click for me... They are just too slow

Nice of you to agree with me but do I sense a problem?

zoar.jpg

... explain?
If you have some sort of issue with me, by all means send me a note.

Arrowproofknees

Yep I made a heavy armor 2H orc and felt like I broke the game. Using berserker rage I killed a giant at level 5 or something. I stopped playing shortly after that when there was abolutley no challange.

Train

Is that all you got?!
There's no style I hate, just some that I like more than others. I cannot seem to find any button mashing in the game though, and I'm curious as to how some have come to this conclusion. Every combat system, be it sword+sheild, 2h, dual sword, destruction or archery, has something about it that can be mastered with enough skill. I've found that 2 handed works best with a battle axe, the speed and damage equal out perfectly (greatsword doesn't do enough for the slow speed and neither does the hammer, plus the hammer seems to go just slow enough to cause problems). Dual sword is interesting because it does so much damage it's insane, but once you're out of stamina it's bad news, so it takes careful planning and precision to use it, just like 2h. Sword and sheild, as mentioned above, deals more with timing, if your timing is off, then a normally weak opponent can make you run for your life; when your timing is perfect, you can take giants way before you could with any other weapon style available. Sword and sheild may be the strongest combo in the game, if used properly.

Destruction is only useful with the impact perk, until you get that, it's a nightmare trying to survive. However, once you get it, the game becomes way too easy in a lot of cases, mages are overpowered due to this, and it's not that I don't like it because there's still the challenge of aiming properly, it's just that it takes multiple enemies to make it difficult, one at a time it's incredibly easy. Archery is always cool, there's a special place in my heart for it, though I hate it so much :mad::D. For those that have played any of the Thief games, you know what I'm talking about. I love archery, I like guns too, I consider myself a sniper and enjoyed every second of the original Splinter Cell (didn't care for the others), but archery provides a unique challenge: the drop in the projectile's trajectory. I love this so much, but I hate it just as much; love it when I hit a target, hate it when I miss. I haven't been able to keep an archer character very long in Skyrim because of this, but I've been considering just making one that's good and forcing myself to stick with it.

Stealth in general is something I've always liked, that started with Splinter Cell actually, and I like stealth in a game that's not on rails simply because it's more realistic. However, I can't stand stealth in Skyrim, I don't hate it, mind you, just can't stand it. Don't like having to sneak when I could be charging in, however, I do love it when you get that awesome killcam and slit someone's throat...beautiful. Now that bows have killcams, I'll probably enjoy them more as well. Sneaking is a real drag sometimes though, you spend a while being as careful as possible, knowing the entire time these blasted bandits would already be dead if you had an axe, then one of them spots you and suddenly you're dead. Now you have to start all over again since you haven't saved the last ten minutes...:facepalm: so annoying. I'll continue to make stealth chars. occasionally, and maybe even mix lots of styles together (yes, I know how to properly utilize destruction and one hand, it's not easy, but once you get the hang of it, you can't stop using it...just remember to have a shield or another sword handy once your magicka runs out).

Congratulations to those that finished reading my post, here's some cheese from Sheogorath...now, where did I leave my parachute...

Drewski

Relaxing on Revis Island, with Revis and Holmes :(
Probably pickpocket thieves. Just seems too gamey a mechanism for me to get into.:-

`Walks into desired area in full view. Ducks down...Oh you can still see me Mr NPC, let's wait a min, you might just forget I'm for uknown reasons crouching behind you`...

Sort of spoils the immersion for me..

Train

Is that all you got?!
thats what enchanting is for, -25% all destruction on 4 pieces of gear means unlimited mana in that skill

Apparently people think that's a cheap trick...I happen to agree, mages are way overpowered as it is.

thecelticlatino

For me it's a pure mage. Runs out of mana too fast (needs destruction spells to attack), squishy (robes fit the part), and just isn't as involving as sneaking up behind someone and stabbing them in the back, sniping them, or going toe to toe up close. Battlemages/assassin-mages do little better since they're just as likely to be squishy. I don't like squishy.

HowlHMS

Travel ALL the places!
I took Destruction (fire and ice), Conjuration (no necromancy), Alteration (for the armor buff) and Restoration (for healing). Being a Khajiit, I took Heavy Armor (for unarmed damage and heavy tanking).

I engage enemies by throwing a few Destruction spells / summoning an atronach / armor buff and magic cloak. Then, magick depleted, I will charge up and dispatch them with a few punches.

Alternatively, I just punch everyone.

I choose this play style mainly because I, uh, 'hate' the undead. I figured the best way to fight my timidity is to run up to them and punch them to death.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
As noted earlier, I do find pure combat style quite boring... It's gotten better compared to oblivion but it could always be better. I'm waiting for combat overhaul mod to make a pure fighter character

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
For me it's a pure mage. Runs out of mana too fast (needs destruction spells to attack), squishy (robes fit the part), and just isn't as involving as sneaking up behind someone and stabbing them in the back, sniping them, or going toe to toe up close. Battlemages/assassin-mages do little better since they're just as likely to be squishy. I don't like squishy.

What he said. I've never really enjoyed playing pure mages. I've rolled a few in my time, but as early as Baldur's Gate I'd always feel left out of the action when my squishy robe-wearing elf was huddled behind the beefy backs of my frontiline warriors, slinging spells from a distance while everyone else was clashing swords. Pure archers present the same problem. Of course this issue with mages is only a problem at lower levels.. at high levels they do tend to dominate in most games, even solo. Still, I prefer a pure melee fighter, a sneaker or a jack of all trades. Battlemages are fine, too. In fact, I've already begun sowing the seeds of my third character's inception in my mind: I'm picturing an orc battlemage with heavy armor, a 1-handed weapon and destruction magic. That is, if I ever muster up the motivation for a third playthrough.

I've played pure warriors, stealth assassins, thieves and even a pure mage but something I really have no interest in is mixing potions and creating with recipes and ingredients...just doesn't appeal to me.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
Nice of you to agree with me but do I sense a problem?

zoar.jpg

... explain?
If you have some sort of issue with me, by all means send me a note.

Ohhhh he changed your username in a quote. Low Blow.