Character build for master difficulty?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Metal-Maniac

That's it, master difficulty pissed me off and I wanna own it!!!
I've been playing with a level 30-ish redguard heavy armor, sword and steel type character -ON ADEPT. Slaughtering everything with ease I felt confident on switching to master. Yeah right...

A couple of necromancers made me load a dozen times, a few bandits scared the nines out of me and a polar bear one hit PWNED me...

Skyrim forum HELP... What is the secret to surviving in this oblivion of a difficulty?
I need everything... Race, perks, equipment, life/magicka/stamina distribution... I wanna sleep at night!

ShadowMage

Article Writer
The assassin is the best race for Master because it is harder to get hit. You should add illusion for muffle and invisibility so dragons are no problem for you. Use one-handed, archery, alchemy, illusion, and light armor. Get Shrouded or Ancient Shrouded armor for 30x sneak attack damage if you have a few perks in sneak. Once you hit level 20 you should speed level smithing for legendary daedric daggers.

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
I switched to Master difficulty, too, MM. I'm glad I finally did as it presents more of a challenge in battle. Translation: I die a lot more, but that's a good thing. In addition to what ShadowMage wrote, use the Block skill as often as you can. Not only will that stagger your hostile, but it'll also boost your Block meter. And it's pretty damn cool to stagger a tango, then nail him with the weapon of your choice.

ShadowMage

Article Writer
Craft higher level yet cheap items. At level 20, you should have a high enough sneak to be able to kill dwemer. Take their materials and smith a bunch of dwarven daggers.

Metal-Maniac

So to sum it up: Smithing abuse + Sneaking around = Master survival?

Metal-Maniac

By the way, when is a good time to switch to master and stay there?? I don't suppose anyone can survive from the very beginning...??

ShadowMage

Article Writer
I can. Do it from the beginning, and join the Dark Brotherhood ASAP. Then do the thieves guild. By then you should be level 20 and have enough money to forge your way to 100 smithing.

BTW *very minor spoiler*

You get 20,000 gold at the end of the DB, so don't use it on anything except the master bedroom.

Train

Is that all you got?!
Now you're speaking my language! In some ways Master is too easy, so I've taken a light armor approach, not using smithing and going with 1h and archery for weapons. However, I can give you a build for a character that will deal major pwnage, and teach you how to develop the skills properly. Remember, this isn't easy, you won't be able to fight trolls until you're at least 20-25, and even then it will be a battle to sing about.

First off, I highly recommend choosing a character with magic resistance, I usually go Nord, sometimes Dunmer, and I suppose one could have a Breton, but for a warrior that just doesn't seem quite right. Next you want to learn the ways of the heavy armor, the shield and the one handed, Daniel-san. Take the path with Ralof in the beginning and grab the imperial heavy armor off that blasted captain if you want to start to gain skills quickly. After dealing with the torturer and his assistant in the dungeon, make sure you get the steel shield that's back in the, well, I don't know what you call it, but the thingy mabob...that should tell you exactly what I mean.

Once you're out of Helgen, run down the road, take the Warior sign, then run into the mine that's just a bit further on, forget Ralof, you'll meet back up in Riverwood later if you must. All the bandits in this little mine are just that, bandits, and you should be able to take two out at once when blocking and attacking properly. Remember, in combat, don't get too hasty, Treebeard wouldn't like that anyway, so block, light attack, block, bash, heavy attack, repeat, trust me, don't bash and power atack right away because they're charging you right now, let them settle in first.

If you get too damaged, always remember to use your restoration, you also want to build this up for later too. In the mine (sorry I can't remember what it's called) get everything you can, there's at least three iron ore deposits scattered around, some good loot here and there, and even a forge if you're just anxious to get smithing, which you'll want BTW for your first Master diff. playthrough. So leave the mine, do want you want in Riverwood, but once you're through, head up the road to to Bleak Falls Barrow. On the way there will be that tower with the bandits, finish them, then head on to the Barrow. Once you've bashed the bandits into submission on the outside, head inside and make your way through just like normal. Fight the Outlaw bandit that pulls the lever, you want all the experience you can get. It won't be an easy battle, and you might even burn through all the health potions you have or end up running away healing yourself, but this is okay, it's for the good of getting stronger in a timely fashion. The Wounded Giant Spider will be your greatest test, hopefully you either have a bow, managed to grab that paralysis poition on the table at the bottom of the spiral stairs where the Skeevers are :rale:, or you can run out and fight until you're in trouble and then run away to heal with restoration.

There's only one more important thing about the BFB that you need to know, after cutting down Arvel the Swift and fighting those draugr, right on the other side of the swinging spikes, if they didn't kill you, there's a sleeping Restless Draugr...fight him too, and if you're a Nord with frost resistance it won't be too hard. Once that's all taken care of and you're out of the Barrow and safe in Riverwood again, go ahead and make the journey to Whiterun after drapping off the claw with the trader. In Whiterun you'll take all the jobs you can. I'm gonna' stop here since this is a long read already, but if you've survived this far, then you have a 75% chance of making a succesful run on Master. Just don't build smithing too fast, let it be more natural, no power leveling, all your skills need to develop properly if you want to make it through this, soldier. :cool:

tigersauce

Caravan Guard
As a Mage, my secret is Enchanting. Now, Destruction spells cost me nothing to cast. 100 Enchanting gets you 25% Destruction regeneration, put that on four pieces of armor, 100% regeneration = no cost. I'm playing on Master and Elder/Ancient Dragons are barely an inconvenience.

Train

Is that all you got?!
As a Mage, my secret is Enchanting. Now, Destruction spells cost me nothing to cast. 100 Enchanting gets you 25% Destruction regeneration, put that on four pieces of armor, 100% regeneration = no cost. I'm playing on Master and Elder/Ancient Dragons are barely an inconvenience.

...fight like a man! lol

I think the OP wants to go melee, but if bending to such cowardice :D is his style, then there's no need for me. However, once you're through with namby pamby stuff, just let me know, I'm more than happy to teach anyone interested in the ways of fighting Master without cheap tricks. :coffee:

Shadowbane

Premium Member
for a red guard warrior?

Enchanting and Blacksmithing are your friends. utilising both of these, you can reach the armor cap with lowest armor being dwarven armor (i think its lowest anyways) and with -25 destruction enchantments on 4 peices of equipment and 2 weapon enchantments, you will never run out of charges. and no soul trap needed

Metal-Maniac

Gah suddenly I have so many choices
I guess the assassin build wins due to being almost invisible and dealing 30x damage but I've done that before. I've also played a sword & shield warrior (who got pwned on master, like I said earlier).

So does a mage really stand a chance???

I know mages rock at high levels on EVERY rpg but they SO getting grinded early on.

Drewski

Relaxing on Revis Island, with Revis and Holmes :(
There's also the `assisted warrior` build. Quite simply, always use a melee follower. They (as far as I know) don't suffer the master damage penalties. This was, you can double team a lot of tougher enemies, circling behind a boss while you follower tanks. You will also need to forge them weapons and armor, and I advise using the Wabbajack method to keep them at your lvl (if not on console).

The downsides of this, are that you will gain xp slower (but is that really a downside? I quite like chars who lvl slowly...I know Train will disagree with this;))- You will probably also find yourself gaining lvls in `minor` skills maybe a little more than you'd initially like. You also have to be patient, as followers often get themselves a bit lost.

The upsides, are safety in numbers, someone to distract enemies when things get a little hairy; more chances for Rplaying (it doesn't feel quite as lonely in the wilderness), and probably best of all, the chance to make quite a lot more money from each dungeon crawl (an extra pair of hands). This extra loot money can be spent on training skills, which gives you more precision control over levelling.

You mentioned kit etc., all I can say is make/buy the best your smithing allows at the time, and equip your follower the same. I would even advise NOT to take any of the guardian stones at the beginning. The reason being, that its far too easy to take the warrior stone, clear that first mine, then Bleak Falls Barrow and be level 10 or more. This can result in having to face enemies that are tougher than your armor/weapons can deal with that early on. Try and keep your smithing balanced.

Anyways, just some thoughts....I'm having a shortish break from actually playing Skyrim for a while, but don't mind talking about it still ;)

Metal-Maniac

I started a new game with a wood elf, thought I'd try some archery with all the sneaking, right now she's level 5 and is handling herself quite well on expert difficulty, I'm switching to master as soon as I get the bow sneak attack x perk as well as the bow zoom slow-time one!

Perhaps I'll try some conjuration for meat shields.

I'll test her out today on some more serious quests/battles and if she survives fine I'll post the build!

Train

Is that all you got?!
So does a mage really stand a chance???

I know mages rock at high levels on EVERY rpg but they SO getting grinded early on.

Yes, mages do have a very good chance, and you're correct about the low levels. It's actually very bizarre, one minute you're just getting slaughtered, the next you're a god. Once you get the impact perk in destruction magic, all you have to do is time your Kamehameha :)D) and never miss - unstoppable. I've had a few mage builds, and you spend a lot of time running away; that never changes, you're backpedaling constantly, but at least at higher levels it's a deadly backpedal.

Conjuration will also let you rule the battlefield, once the fire atronach is obtained one may simply stand back and watch as they bring punishment to all who appose. Illusion can sometimes keep you from having to fight at all, also it's extremely helpful with Sabre Cats at low levels. Cast a calm spell, distance yourself, use mage armor just in case, cast a destruction spell, then repeat with the calm spell. I can take Sabre Cats at level 5-6 with this method, officially making this build far more powerful that stealth or warrior even at lower levels (in some situations, for the most part they're still very weak).

I agree with most of what Drewski said, but I slightly disagree about not taking the warrior stone in the beginning for melee chars. As long as smithing isn't abused, everything's fine. I'm playing a character now that doesn't use smithing, and I still have a great chance of a successful build on Master. Just remember that any character on Master is nothing like playing on even Expert, it's a whole different game. Instead of rushing up to the next fort you see or cave you want to explore, you end up taking a wide path around it knowing that maybe way later on it might be alright to investigate.

One last thing, whatever build you have, do not go far enough into the main quest to activate the dragons until you're level 25-30. If playing stealth, I would just not ever activate them, or at least wait until lvl 40 or have some serious archery and heavy magick resistance...the shadows won't save you against a dragon. I always wait until I have frost and fire protection anyway no matter what build, or be able to cast wards and sustain them for a while.

Metal-Maniac

Oops I just killed the first dragon at whiterun's watchtower (on expert), which means dragons will start spawning around... Gah I knew I should've ignored the main quest but what is Skyrim without FUS-RO-DAing stuff off cliffs??? xD

GiordyGio

Look at my build: Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them![Edit. For some reason this link does not show all the perks. Just put points in Left and right conjuration tree and mystic bind as well; alteration (almost everything except dual casting); restoration (apprentice spells, respite, recover magicka, regeneration, recovery 2 out of 2); one handed (first perk, 5 out of 5); archery (first perk, 5/5); destruction, just the first perk (and, optionally, augmented frost 2/2)].

It's the only one that got me really far in Master Difficulty. The build that Streets posted is really good without any doubts, but do you really want to farm your crafting skills to level 100? I personally want to play, not spend time at enchanting tables, smelters and so forth.
With this build, all you have to do is max out conjuration (which is really easy to do, since it goes up very easily when evoking things during fights) and alteration, with a bit of restoration, a bit of one-handed and a bit of archery. You may add sneaking perks to this build (I don't personally feel the necessity to do it).

The main tactics of this build is: conjure your creature/s (Draemora Lords ftw), pump up your armor with an alteration spell and kite from distance with your mystic bow or attack in melee an enemy aggroed by your conjured creature. If someone attacks you, just spray him/her with frostbite while you backpedal and heal yourself, then finish him off, or bring him to your conjured creature, or just re-conjure and start over.

This way, you don't have to grind at all, you play as a mage as well as well as a warrior and you are really mobile and versatile. It's the best/most fun build I've played so far. I hope you like it!

ShadowMage

Article Writer
Look at my build: Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them![Edit. For some reason this link does not show all the perks. Just put points in Left and right conjuration tree and mystic bind as well; alteration (almost everything except dual casting); restoration (apprentice spells, respite, recover magicka, regeneration, recovery 2 out of 2); one handed (first perk, 5 out of 5); archery (first perk, 5/5); destruction, just the first perk (and, optionally, augmented frost 2/2)].

It's the only one that got me really far in Master Difficulty. The build that Streets posted is really good without any doubts, but do you really want to farm your crafting skills to level 100? I personally want to play, not spend time at enchanting tables, smelters and so forth.
With this build, all you have to do is max out conjuration (which is really easy to do, since it goes up very easily when evoking things during fights) and alteration, with a bit of restoration, a bit of one-handed and a bit of archery. You may add sneaking perks to this build (I don't personally feel the necessity to do it).

The main tactics of this build is: conjure your creature/s (Draemora Lords ftw), pump up your armor with an alteration spell and kite from distance with your mystic bow or attack in melee an enemy aggroed by your conjured creature. If someone attacks you, just spray him/her with frostbite while you backpedal and heal yourself, then finish him off, or bring him to your conjured creature, or just re-conjure and start over.

This way, you don't have to grind at all, you play as a mage as well as well as a warrior and you are really mobile and versatile. It's the best/most fun build I've played so far. I hope you like it!

Necromancy much? ^^^ Look at the other dates. Metal-Maniac's wood-elf is probably level 30-40 by now.

GiordyGio

I'm sorry, I just thought it could still be useful to people, not just him. I, for example, found the thread by googling the subject. Necromancy is supposed to be something unuseful/unnecessary: I don't think that sharing good build is unuseful. If you don't want to read it/use it, it's your problem. Your necromancy-accusation post surely doesn't add anything useful to thread; mine might.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts