• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

YoungLord94

Yokudan Refugee
Is Nazir the only Redguard that has actually has a Black Voice actor? I though Bethesda employed over 70 voice actors for Skyrim. You mean to tell me that only one of them was black? I can't be the only one who thinks it strange that the Dessert Warrior Alik'r don't ethnic at all.

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
Well, Nazir's VA does quite a few other characters as well, including the fletcher in Solitude who's also a redguard. Anyway I don't see how it matters. VA's rarely have anything in common with the character they're portraying (like Ashley Williams' VA in Mass Effect is black even though Ashley is white).

YoungLord94

Yokudan Refugee
No. His voice actor Erik Dellums only voices Nazir. the flecher in solitude sounds nothing like Nazir. and it kinda does matter when its this noticeable.

Saozig

Hippy
I can't be the only one who thinks it strange that the Dessert Warrior Alik'r don't ethnic at all.

Oh boy. Everyone has an ethnicity. Everyone has a dialect. Everyone has an accent. There is no "default" human being and then everyone else is "ethnic". So saying someone doesn't sound "ethnic" means nothing.

Now, never minding the fact that voice actors of color have been headfaking audiences for years with their shouldn't-be-surprising-yet-often-is ability to not sound the way white people expect them to sound, there does seem to be a lack of diversity in the voice actor industry in general. The majority of the voice actors who were hired for Skyrim come from that industry pool and a large numbers do appear to be white--I've been looking at many of their resumes because, coincidentally, I've been trying to figure out who does the voices of those Alik'r Warriors, because it's the same person who does afew other male Redguard NPCs (Kematu, Amren, Maramal) as well as Vantus Lorieus, Faendal, Aval Atheron, and my favorite NPC, Marcurio (if anyone knows who this voice actor is, please post it on my profile wall!).

Personally, while I wish there was more diversity in the voice actor industry, I appreciate that Bethesda didn't pander to narrow expectations of some audiences that if a character has darker skin, they should sound different and distinct from lighter skinned characters.

who voices the female Argonians? They sound kinda black to me.

Actually, she's a Latina, and most of her resume is roles playing Latino women: Renee Victor - IMDb

YoungLord94

Yokudan Refugee
Oh boy. Everyone has an ethnicity. Everyone has a dialect. Everyone has an accent. There is no "default" human being and then everyone else is "ethnic". So saying someone doesn't sound "ethnic" means nothing.

I didn't mean to sound ignorant. I only meant that they didn't sound like the ethnicity they were based on. which appears to be a middle eastern type. But I know what you mean.

blade00

i noticed that as well. only Isran and Nazir have black voice actors. it sounds like all the Orcs have that other black voice actor as well so i guess that makes 3?

and yes Bethesda employed over 70 voice actors for Skyrim but i think they messed up by having most of them do a voice for one person, namely guild members. then it looks like maybe 20 people did everyone else

they should have had each city have unique voices, and with 70 voice actors that should have been easy. To me it be better if I'm in a city and a few people have the same voice, then go to another city and everyone else has different voices. that way all the different cities have the different voices, but it be ok for people in the same city to have the same voice. or at least have the different voice actors have different dialogue for different characters. you notice it alot less that way. whats the point of having different voice actors if you make them say the same things?o_O but then you could argue the budget but that's just an excuse in my opinion. Bethesda def cut corners where they didn't need to

Let's talk about how almost all of the Nord accents are complete bullplops instead. Srsly Bethesday, how do Farkas and Vilkas, two brothers, have polar opposite accents?

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
inb4 this becomes a racist argument.

Anyway, I'm sure there are other black voice actors. Just because they don't sound black, doesn't mean they aren't. (As an exception, that [terrible] voice actor that voices Chanel and a lot of other black women in Oblivion definitely sounds black.)

By the way, I think the whole "70 voice actors" thing is a flat out lie. I've noticed maybe 12 in my 500+ hour gameplay.

Daedra'Mc'Bitch

inb4 this becomes a racist argument.

Anyway, I'm sure there are other black voice actors. Just because they don't sound black, doesn't mean they aren't. (As an exception, that [terrible] voice actor that voices Chanel and a lot of other black women in Oblivion definitely sounds black.)

By the way, I think the whole "70 voice actors" thing is a flat out lie. I've noticed maybe 12 in my 500+ hour gameplay.

Voice Cast (Skyrim) - The Elder Scrolls Wiki

48 of them in that article, if you count the single-character voices.

Daedra'Mc'Bitch

Hmm... 2 different voice actors voiced Hircine? Or is that a mistake they made when putting the page together?

UESP also says it. Odd.

Ah, never mind.

"Don't know if you've noticed, but when you speak to Hircine, you can hear both voice speak simultaneously."

sticky runes

Voice Cast (Skyrim) - The Elder Scrolls Wiki

48 of them in that article, if you count the single-character voices.

There are a few people who have voiced an entire race, so it's gonna seem like there's not a very big cast, compared to the sheer number of characters in the game.

And big names like Max Von Sydow, Christopher Plummer and Joan Allen still get quite a lot of movie work, so they probably don't have as clear a shedule as a lot of the other voice actors.

Daedra'Mc'Bitch

Funny how it only mentions Brynjolf for that guy. Practically every other man you meet in Skyrim has that same voice!

Plus, there are a few people who have voiced an entire race, so it's gonna seem like there's not a very big cast, compared to the sheer number of characters in the game.

And big names like Max Von Sydow, Christopher Plummer and Joan Allen still get quite a lot of movie work, so they probably don't have as clear a shedule as a lot of the other voice actors.

Do you know those two Redguards in Whiterun who question the location of the Redguard woman? I attacked Adrienne Avenicci in front of them, and they said in the exact same voice at the exact same time, "Help! Someone's being attacked!"

It was a strong testament to Skyrim's repetitive voices.

Prometheus100c

Prometheus
But I thought Skyrim Wiki was the one person I could trust..

I like your sarcastic tone, but why wouldn't a company lie about having different voice actors. Just to show how multiculturalism is ''good'' and that they take employees from other ethnicities.

You can take this with a pinch of sarcasm to :rolleyes:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts