• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Nightmare Shadow

Master of Shadow

Beodix

Thane of Winterhold & Windhelm, Harbinger
I have a ? about playing an Assassin. I have tried twice to successfully build one. One was a Wood Elf Archer the other an Argonian Dual Dagger. Both times I used the Archer NPC Exploit to level Archery to 50 but my One Handed is way behind at 26. Both times I now notice whenever the enemy closes on me or there is no time to sneak I am being owned in combat, I've ended up dropping difficulty from Master down to Adept and it still is hard. Is this because of my power levelling archery is throwing off the scaling for the encounters? I tried to get Smithing up but I'm only using Elven Daggers and an enchanced Ancient Nord Bow.

brandon

so dump the nightingale armour for dragonscale armour?
uh dude im sorry but if you want to not get hurt by hardley anything then yeah try out the dragonscale. mine was at legendary and the helm was enchanted with +20 arcery. the boots were +15 carry weight. the armor was + 30 stamina regen. and my gauntlets were + 15 one handed. and a had a ring that was +10 to light armor and a necklace that was +20 light armor. but its now on my manaquin in solitude and im rocking the nightingale armor. i just like the way it looks. but i took a huge hit to my armor rating. even with the nightingale armor improved its barely over 400 armor rating. my dragonscale was at 540 with the enchantments.the nightingal base was only 330ish.and i almost died my first fight because i forgot i wasnt wearing the dragonscale.

brandon

I have a ? about playing an Assassin. I have tried twice to successfully build one. One was a Wood Elf Archer the other an Argonian Dual Dagger. Both times I used the Archer NPC Exploit to level Archery to 50 but my One Handed is way behind at 26. Both times I now notice whenever the enemy closes on me or there is no time to sneak I am being owned in combat, I've ended up dropping difficulty from Master down to Adept and it still is hard. Is this because of my power levelling archery is throwing off the scaling for the encounters? I tried to get Smithing up but I'm only using Elven Daggers and an enchanced Ancient Nord Bow.
yeah i was having that problem at first but then i made my glass weapons and they do alot of dam. but daggers are the lowest dam of any weapon. except when you backstab with the sneak perk. try carrying another weapon set like sword mace or axe mace combo. the war axe and mace do the most damage out of the one handed weapons.

jjleonie

Hey guys, new topic , is the muffle spell really useful( illusion) , coz I'm using my scale boots now, so I no longer have the muffled boots. Thus I'm leaning on the spell instead. Isit necessary, as it is a hassle to cast it every three min, ESP when u have to equip another items I. The left hand after wards given that the light may give u away. Actually do the light from te muffle spell equipped in ur hand actuall gives u away when it is just equipped ? Playing on expert here.

Verac

Theres a perk for silent casting, but if u are NOT a stealth char and attempting stealthing things, yes muffle is a MUST.

jjleonie

I am a stealth char, at 100 for stealth. And I'm not talking about casting, just having it equip, does it actually plays a part in alerting enemies?

brandon

I am a stealth char, at 100 for stealth. And I'm not talking about casting, just having it equip, does it actually plays a part in alerting enemies?
i havent notced that yet but when im trying to be truely scouting/sneaking i dont have my weapons out either. ill only equip them when im ready to start the fight.

Verac

Id wear it if i were you yes, it does play a part with the perk, and that and considering you have max sneak you will be near impossible to detect, ive even gone out in broad light in front of a draugyr and he just sits there with a derp face

morguen87

|\/| P |/\|
Great advice in this thread.
Assassin is my preferred style now. I originally started with a sword and shield knight type, but clearing out dungeons without being seen is more rewarding, albeit more time consuming. Instead of playing to my strengths though I played to my weaknesses. So instead of going with the light armor, illusion, alchemy to compliment sneak, archery and one handed like most assassins, I went heavy armor and two handed to compliment sneak, archery, and one handed. Sneaking is still pretty easy in heavy armor so I use heavy armor, am an orc, and use a two handed weapon as backup. This way if I ever get detected or when sneaking isn't viable (dragons, etc), I'm not at a disadvantage. I can just turn beserk on and go to town doing 2x damage with my greatsword, take half damage, and have a high armor rating from the heavy armor.
It's a really fun and effective all around build. I do a 3 in Stamina, 1 in Health every 4 levels.

Though from a role play standpoint, if you really want to be an assassin, I'd follow most of the advice here. Just be aware there are tons of styles you can mix if you want to change it up.

Verac

One of the drawbacks of being an assassin is lacking a packmule A.K.A a companion but they are as useless as mudcrabs they may stealth with you, but as soon as they see an enemy they WILL leroy jenkins((if you arnt famalier with the term that means run in screaming like a moron)) even "assassin companions" like ciciro and the initiates do this despite being assassins, i swear companion AI in this game is embarrassing atleast in oblivion assassin followers were actually useful and didnt blow your cover. hell even "melee" folowers are bad for more direct people, they just stand back and shoot with a default bow even though they are melee and if u give them a bow. worst of all you cant even get them to dual wield.

brandon

One of the drawbacks of being an assassin is lacking a packmule A.K.A a companion but they are as useless as mudcrabs they may stealth with you, but as soon as they see an enemy they WILL leroy jenkins((if you arnt famalier with the term that means run in screaming like a moron)) even "assassin companions" like ciciro and the initiates do this despite being assassins, i swear companion AI in this game is embarrassing atleast in oblivion assassin followers were actually useful and didnt blow your cover. hell even "melee" folowers are bad for more direct people, they just stand back and shoot with a default bow even though they are melee and if u give them a bow. worst of all you cant even get them to dual wield.
not all followers are that bad at sneaking. jenassa from whiterun is a decent sneak as is aela the huntress from the companions. i had them both as a follower but jenassa went mia after i started the db quest and i havent seen her since. and aela is now my wife at home. other then those two my other followers are kia.

brandon

Real assassins dont need wives or companions...........FOREVER ALOONNNEEEE
not if your trying to train the recruits from the db then you just take them out for their first kill. like you take your kids on their first few hunts.

Verac

not if your trying to train the recruits from the db then you just take them out for their first kill. like you take your kids on their first few hunts.
Psh, i -AM- the dark brotherhood. i am the herald of my dread father sithis. where i tread doom folows....i am a god among assassins.....besides they never did a freaking thing in any of the quests besides mock you and laugh at your progress....*spoiler alert* WHOS LAUGHING NOW!? oh wait, your burnt to death....HAR!

brandon

Psh, i -AM- the dark brotherhood. i am the herald of my dread father sithis. where i tread doom folows....i am a god among assassins.....besides they never did a freaking thing in any of the quests besides mock you and laugh at your progress....*spoiler alert* WHOS LAUGHING NOW!? oh wait, your burnt to death....HAR!
but if your good at something then you always have people who want to learn from you.

brandon